Author Topic: Disaster in North Quebec - Nuovo Falcone (2 short videos added)  (Read 8310 times)

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Disaster in North Quebec - Nuovo Falcone (2 short videos added)
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2015, 12:20:49 AM »
Thanks Nick for reminding me to check my patch kit. I haven't used it for 4 or 5 years, and I don't think I replaced the patches since that last time. The glue worked then. Have been getting blase; one spare tube has been enough, and the patch kit is well squashed. Some of the older people used to routinely stuff their wheels with all sorts - but they were well practised & knew what worked & how to do it. We've obviously gone soft & spoilt.

Mal
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

lucydad

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2015, 05:53:56 AM »
Nick,

Thanks for sharing your adventure! 

Reminds me of our legendary Grayling fishing trip on the Dalton highway in Alaska.  2 flat tires, one disconnected by gravel fuel pump, a long walk for help, and the grizzlies were literally hunting us...fun times in 1982.

Online nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2015, 02:44:05 PM »
I think Norm deserves a bit of a shout.

He's is quite a guy. He's been riding for decades (Alaska, Yukon, South West etc.) - hundreds of thousands of miles, much of it unpaved. 1000 mile days are duck soup to him.
While we were riding the Trans-Taiga  http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=69757.0 together we talked about just this kind of scenario: "If you ever get stuck.........."  so I had no hesitation in calling him.

He has the trailer, I have a van and would do the same for him in a heartbeat. It's just another kind of adventure.  Quite a guy though, and doing OK at 70.

PS  I bought him a large case of beer but still owe him a couple of tanks of gas - although he'll probably baulk at that.

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2015, 06:57:12 PM »
Loved your adventure Nick :grin:

How did you know there wasn't something with Big Teeth sneaking up behind you in that spruce patch? :grin: :grin:
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2015, 06:57:12 PM »

Online nick949

• Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2015, 07:29:04 PM »
Loved your adventure Nick :grin:

How did you know there wasn't something with Big Teeth sneaking up behind you in that spruce patch? :grin: :grin:

Im the meanest SOB in the forest.. :evil:....just kidding!

Really, black bears avoid people unless you've been smearing yourself in bacon grease or fish guts. I am alert to all noises in the forest then fall asleep anyway.  I think my snoring scares them off  :rolleyes:

Offline Lash

• Gosling
  • '20 V85TT Travel '20 Triumph Speed Twin '12 Norge
Re: Disaster in North Quebec - Nuovo Falcone
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2015, 03:55:25 PM »
What a great story ... especially as it turned out well. 

Sure you get Norm that beer, but spring for something a bit better than Canadian stuff.   :wink:

Seriously, looking forward to the details, as I enjoy reading about gravel roads ... as long as I don't heve to be on 'em.

Bill

Au contraire!

Online nick949

• Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2015, 09:18:06 AM »
...............I just dug this culprit out of my tyre (the wire, not the nickel!).  Part of a staple? A little sliver off somebody's truck?  Something I brought with me that worked its way through.

Just a tiny amount of it was poking through the top of the tyre - enough to puncture two tubes though.

Nick

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here