Author Topic: Least and most educated states  (Read 8214 times)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Least and most educated states
« on: October 12, 2015, 03:00:00 PM »
http://247wallst.com/special-report/2015/09/23/the-most-and-least-educated-states/

Of note the least educated state also has the most paid per high school student.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Least and most educated states
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 07:01:04 PM »
In our state, for the first time, the annual number of people dying from heroin overdoses exceeded the number of people killed in highway crashes.

But I don't know what to do with that information any more than I know what to do with the education one ..... ?

Lannis
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 07:55:26 PM by Lannis »
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 08:07:46 PM »
Lannis, The Mrs and I lived in Virginia for a couple of years.  My wife is a teacher and went for the certification.  She asked why she didn't have to take Virginia History?  They said that she has already taken US History and that US History WAS Virginia History.

She enjoyed a year's teaching there.  In the Commonwealth. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 10:49:55 PM »
About the only time I've ever seen that Mississippi didn't finish at the bottom of a study. 49th.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 10:49:55 PM »

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 11:23:47 PM »
In our state, for the first time, the annual number of people dying from heroin overdoses exceeded the number of people killed in highway crashes.

"Heroine overdoses" is a misnomer.  As described in the Consumer's Union book "Licit and Illicit Drugs" (1972), there is evidence that nearly all "heroine overdoses" are really caused by first getting drunk, and then injesting heroine.  A person can take several times his usual dose without adverse effects, but his usual dose while drunk is often deadly.  It seems that the syndrome might better be called "Alcohol-Heroine Death".  Of course the politically correct thing to do is blame the opiate.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 11:24:51 PM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 06:17:10 AM »
 Useless information ..

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 07:49:52 AM »
It seems that the syndrome might better be called "Alcohol-Heroine Death". 

OK, then ...

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 07:51:17 AM »
Useless information ..

... supposed to fire my imagination.   I don't get no satisfaction ...

nunzio

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 08:46:52 AM »
"Heroine overdoses" is a misnomer.  As described in the Consumer's Union book "Licit and Illicit Drugs" (1972), there is evidence that nearly all "heroine overdoses" are really caused by first getting drunk, and then injesting heroine.  A person can take several times his usual dose without adverse effects, but his usual dose while drunk is often deadly.  It seems that the syndrome might better be called "Alcohol-Heroine Death".  Of course the politically correct thing to do is blame the opiate.

We need to start a "Don't drink and Shoot Up"  campaign ....Non-profit ,of course,...I volunteer to be CEO with an annual pay of $680,000 a year.....Alan

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 08:51:40 AM »
"Heroine overdoses"....
It's what happens when you watch too many Shakespeare plays.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

nunzio

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 09:18:43 AM »
Most Educated...What a joke!!!

List the 10 most influential people of the last 100 years..
How many had college degrees?

Bill Gates....NO
Steve Jobs....NO
Mark Zuckerburg.....NO

Starbucks Barista in Seattle  Yes....Women Studies

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 09:29:26 AM »
I watched The Hunger Games movies for 37 hours straight and suffered a Heroine overdose.

Ba dum BUM. I oughta play the big rooms, I tell ya.

But to the original post, there is a Laffer curve reference in here somewhere. For example, East St. Louis has the highest property taxes in Illinois, and the lowest tax base. And the worst schools.
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 09:30:00 AM »

Bill Gates....NO
Steve Jobs....NO
Mark Zuckerburg.....NO

A couple of decades+ ago when my oldest was in Junior High I told him to realize that school was a lot like prison and you just have to "do the chores and do the time".  Once in a while you'll have a good class and good instructor.  The rest of your schooling you just have to "do the time" and it doesn't matter if it's Jr. High or UC Berkeley.
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 09:36:45 AM »

Bill Gates....NO
Steve Jobs....NO
Mark Zuckerburg.....NO

Not sure what you're trying to say.  The three examples you gave didn't formally get college degrees, but it would be a stretch to conclude that they aren't/weren't educated.  And they are/were exceptions, anyway.  Let's use more typical examples, women who get pregnant at 16, drop out of school, and will never be able to make a decent living because they have no marketable skills.  Or men who have to leave school to "help out the family", slave away at one dead-end job after another, always behind the economic curve, bitter at the "system", physically unable to work after 50, having to rely for years on the pitiful amount social security provides.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

oldbike54

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 09:46:32 AM »
 Let's be careful here fellas .

Dusty

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2015, 09:47:49 AM »

Yes, but this has evolved:

"In the 1960s, New York City Medical Examiners Drs. Milton Helpern and Michael Baden studied heroin addict deaths. Heroin found near dead addicts was not unusually pure and their body tissues did not show especially high concentrations of the drug. Although the addicts typically shot up in groups, only one addict at a time died. Furthermore, the dead addicts were experienced rather than novice users and therefore should have built up tolerance to large doses of heroin.

The best guess as to what was killing these addicts (aside from general infection, illness, and malnutrition) were the impurities in the drug, such as quinine, which produced adverse reactions in some injectors. A related likelihood which is more evident today is the mixture of drugs, or of drugs and alcohol."
http://www.peele.net/lib/heroinoverdose.html
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2015, 10:10:08 AM »
Lannis got the headline correct but might have missed an important point:
"Deaths from heroin and opiate use outnumbered highway fatalities in Virginia for the first time last year..."
quote from the Virginia-Pilot newspaper, today.  It's not just heroin but also the overuse of opioid prescription drugs.  The point is that it's not just those needle using junkies one might picture but also a huge number of prescription drug users.  Dead is still dead so I guess it really does not matter.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

canuguzzi

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2015, 10:46:53 AM »

Bill Gates....NO
Steve Jobs....NO
Mark Zuckerburg.....NO

Well, Steve Jobs died because he was stupid.

oldbike54

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2015, 10:59:18 AM »
Well, Steve Jobs died because he was stupid.

How so , pancreatic cancer doesn't recognize intelligence , and is really hard to treat even with conventional methods .

Dusty

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2015, 11:11:43 AM »
Useless information ..

I guess it could be if that sort of thing isn't relevant to you, and I don't blame you if it isn't.  But it is to me, not because I use heroine, but because I prefer to place blame where it belongs in this case.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2015, 11:37:50 AM »
Lannis got the headline correct but might have missed an important point:
"Deaths from heroin and opiate use outnumbered highway fatalities in Virginia for the first time last year..."
quote from the Virginia-Pilot newspaper, today.  It's not just heroin but also the overuse of opioid prescription drugs.  The point is that it's not just those needle using junkies one might picture but also a huge number of prescription drug users.  Dead is still dead so I guess it really does not matter.

Peter Y.

I agree.   I was just trying to keep it simple.    Heroin with other opiates, Heroin after ethanol poisoning, Opiates by mouth/needle .... the point is still the same, nobody has to be doing that shyte,  and dead is still dead.

Geez, I know we want to be accurate, but it's like we're afraid of giving heroin a bad name ....

Lannis
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 12:30:21 PM by Lannis »

canuguzzi

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2015, 11:44:42 AM »
How so , pancreatic cancer doesn't recognize intelligence , and is really hard to treat even with conventional methods .

Dusty

He had a very high probability of being cured but instead sought homeopathic solutions. He was diagnosed early when the chance of success was highest. He acted stupidly.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2015, 12:43:24 PM »
Dumb set of statistics as it relates to education systems.  Good data if you are looking for a job.

This area of NM has a very high percentage of advanced degrees.  Why?  Sandia National Lab, Los Alamos National Lab, Air Force Research Lab.  Then add all the contractors in the area that support those three (like me :)  ).  A VERY small percentage of people working at those places got their degrees in this state.  NM has one of the worst education records in the country, usually ranked in the bottom 10.

1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2015, 12:52:34 PM »
I alwise touht Mane twas sposed ta haf da bestas edjumacasion. Wiked smaat teechass. :huh:

canuguzzi

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2015, 12:55:23 PM »
I alwise touht Mane twas sposed ta haf da bestas edjumacasion. Wiked smaat teechass. :huh:

They also have the evlyn woodhead sped redin course there.

stormshearon

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2015, 02:02:32 PM »
So the gist of the article seems to be, the more 'college educated' people in a state, the 'smarter' the whole state is? I know a lot of folks with college degrees that are not smart enough to come in out of the rain - I don't think the attainment of a college degree means what it used to mean. I think all it means today is that you got the degree - that and 10 bucks will get you coffee at a Starbucks.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2015, 02:16:40 PM »
So the gist of the article seems to be, the more 'college educated' people in a state, the 'smarter' the whole state is?

No, I don't think that's the gist, especially since the article never uses the word "smarter".   Just Most Educated and Least Educated.    Someone can be "educated" and be really stupid, and the article doesn't address that ....

Lannis

Offline cj750

• Gaggle Mentor
  • "Viva tutte le cose Italiane"
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2015, 02:49:26 PM »

I'm reminded of the words of the great philosopher, Paul Simon:

...my lack of education hasn’t hurt me none.
 I can read the writing on the wall.
Then again, when I was watching Predator I didn't think two members of its cast would become governors, either. So you never know.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2015, 02:53:10 PM »
Which came first?  The chicken or the egg?

West Virginia is last.  Why?  Massachusetts is first.  Why?

Could it be because people who get college degrees gravitate to places with jobs which require them?

How many native West Virginians who have college degrees have moved to Massachusetts for job opportunities?

The only way this "report" would mean anything would be if they surveyed you by State of Birth, rather than State of Residence.

Charlie had a very good example with Los Alamos.  An island of education in a desert mostly devoid of it.  The only reason there are a lot of residents in Santa Fe / Los Alamos with advanced degrees is because they support the government operations there.

The two county metro area where I live is benefitting from the emigration of many out of Staters with advanced degrees.  That's because Wal-Mart and Tyson general offices, and all the vendors who support them, are hiring people with specific management, marketing, and transportation degrees.  Those people aren't from around here, and for the most part didn't go to school here.  But, as residents they would push up the numbers in a survey like this...

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2015, 03:45:49 PM »
Which came first?  The chicken or the egg?

West Virginia is last.  Why?  Massachusetts is first.  Why?

Could it be because people who get college degrees gravitate to places with jobs which require them?

How many native West Virginians who have college degrees have moved to Massachusetts for job opportunities?

The only way this "report" would mean anything would be if they surveyed you by State of Birth, rather than State of Residence.

Charlie had a very good example with Los Alamos.  An island of education in a desert mostly devoid of it.  The only reason there are a lot of residents in Santa Fe / Los Alamos with advanced degrees is because they support the government operations there.

The two county metro area where I live is benefitting from the emigration of many out of Staters with advanced degrees.  That's because Wal-Mart and Tyson general offices, and all the vendors who support them, are hiring people with specific management, marketing, and transportation degrees.  Those people aren't from around here, and for the most part didn't go to school here.  But, as residents they would push up the numbers in a survey like this...

Whoever put this useless survey together (which, as we've concluded means absolutely nothing), probably has a Harvard MBA and is very proud of how smart and educated he is .....

Lannis

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here