Author Topic: Mistral "Silencer" (for Norge)?  (Read 10644 times)

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
Mistral "Silencer" (for Norge)?
« on: April 13, 2016, 02:10:26 PM »
I am feeling the need for a change of "tone." My Norge exhaust sounds good, and it sounds louder and better now than it did when new 3,000 miles ago. However, it could sound better. I am not necessarily looking for more volume, just a deeper, more authoritative tone (that is still audible while riding).

My experience is limited to an Agostini silencer on my prior Norge. With or without the DB killer installed, it sounded better to me than my stock can did. With the DB killer installed, it was actually quieter than my stock can. With the DB killer removed, it was definitely louder, but it sounded positively GLORIOUS (and my Norge seemingly ran just as well as it did before).

This time around (on my new Norge), I am thinking of installing a Mistral silencer (because they come with a metal attachment tab riveted to the can, unlike the Agostinis, which attach with a rubber band and a flimsy metal strap).

Anyone here have a Mistral can on their Norge or other modern Moto Guzzi? Any thoughts?

I am thinking of running one with the DB killer installed, if it is loud enough to hear it while riding. If it is not loud enough, I will try it without the DB killer or possibly with one cut a bit shorter.

Pic:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 02:12:17 PM by JeffOlson »
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Mistral "Silencer" (for Norge)?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 02:20:18 PM »
I had a Mistral on my B1100.  No complaints.  Nice tone without being obnoxious.

ponti_33609

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 02:23:45 PM »
Hi Jeff,

I recently installed these on my V7 and had the same exhaust on my V11 before that.......It is definitely deeper/loader than my stock.  I live in a high rise condo and feel a bit guilty if I need to leave too early in the AM.  I would not call them obnoxious but they do rumble and sound much better than stock.  I have gone the Mistral route the last 2 times as I think the price point can't be beat.  Also, you can get away without a fuel re-map on the 2 bikes I have had but a remap is always nice....some exhaust it is basically mandatory.

Also think they look nice without any name plate like some have.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 02:24:16 PM by ponti33602 »

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 03:13:20 PM »
We have installed both Mistral and Agostini here. I like the Agostini but have not heard the Big Can one. I am thinking of the Agostini with a large silencer.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 03:13:20 PM »

Offline old as dirt 2

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 07:00:31 PM »
I have been going thru the 2 choices as well and I am leaning toward the Mistral for another reason, it has the center stand support bracket piece so I can retain use of the center stand. can find it on the Ago.

now are you going to replace the cross over tube as well?
2013 Norge
2008 MP3 500
bunch of other stuff that is long gone.

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 09:37:48 PM »
Jeff, keep us updated!  :thumb:

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 09:44:55 PM »
I have a Mistral oval can on my B1100.  It is well made, have been with it for a few years now.  But for me, its short coming is it much to quite.  With the DB killer in it is essential a calm as stock.  It does make a nice melo rumble with it out, but it still not close to my friends Agostine on his Cal, and even they are not over the top.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 09:50:40 PM »
I have had a Mistral on my 1200 Sport for 50K miles or so. It took about 40K to get as loud as I like it to be.
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Offline motoguzzibill

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 10:10:01 PM »
Hi Jeff,
  I have the stainless version on my 07' Norge. I agree the stock unit was way to quiet and much too heavy. I like the sound of the Mistral, but I couldn't run it without the db killer. I tried and it was too loud for a civilized bike like the Norge. I encountered a lot of exhaust popping on deceleration which I'm not fond of either. Had the ECU re-flashed by Rexer and things improved to an acceptable level. I like the sound and the improved performance (real or not) and certainly would not go back to a stock muffler.
Good Luck,
Bill

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 10:12:09 PM »
I have been going thru the 2 choices as well and I am leaning toward the Mistral for another reason, it has the center stand support bracket piece so I can retain use of the center stand. can find it on the Ago.

now are you going to replace the cross over tube as well?

My Agostini can DID have a bracket so I could easily attach the rubber centerstand stop from my stock silencer.

Also, if all goes well with an after-market silencer, I will look into replacing the stock colostomy bag with a Y-pipe cross-over.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

pete roper

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 11:23:38 PM »
My Agostini can DID have a bracket so I could easily attach the rubber centerstand stop from my stock silencer.

Also, if all goes well with an after-market silencer, I will look into replacing the stock colostomy bag with a Y-pipe cross-over.

I'd advise against it unless you're going to build a custom map for it and be prepared to leave the dB killer in.

Pete

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 12:19:31 AM »
I'd advise against it unless you're going to build a custom map for it and be prepared to leave the dB killer in.

Pete

Good points.

I do have a custom map for it now, which eliminates the popping on deceleration and generally causes the Norge to run far better than stock. And I don't really want more volume, just better tone. I can fiddle with the length of the DB killer if it turns out to be quieter than stock. So, there's the silencer.

As for the colostomy bag, I really don't know anything about it, so I'll look into it more before deciding whether to take that plunge, too.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2016, 01:23:00 AM »
The Norge doesn't have a colostomy bag, the cat is built into the silencer.  It is fed from a y-pipe, similar to the 1200 Sport.

Well, that's what mine has.

pete roper

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2016, 01:25:00 AM »
I'm pretty sure the 8V has the bag. I'll check later.

Pete

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2016, 06:06:39 AM »
Yes the 8V has the bag (collector ).  I would like to get rid of mine for the simple reason it heats the rear shock but I fear the same thing Pete does.  Without a tuned map performance could take a dump. 
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Offline old as dirt 2

• Hatchling
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2016, 09:46:11 PM »
well I pulled the trigger tonight on the mistral carbon. should get it next week.
2013 Norge
2008 MP3 500

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2016, 12:17:28 AM »
Nice! I'm almost there, too. (I have to finish my tax returns first and find out how much damage there is.)
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2016, 02:57:59 AM »
Hi Jeff,

I recently installed these on my V7 and had the same exhaust on my V11 before that.......It is definitely deeper/loader than my stock.  I live in a high rise condo and feel a bit guilty if I need to leave too early in the AM.  I would not call them obnoxious but they do rumble and sound much better than stock.  I have gone the Mistral route the last 2 times as I think the price point can't be beat.  Also, you can get away without a fuel re-map on the 2 bikes I have had but a remap is always nice....some exhaust it is basically mandatory.

I know they probably don't need it but I wish they had twin front discs, just for the balanced look it gives

ponti_33609

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2016, 05:49:12 AM »
I know they probably don't need it but I wish they had twin front discs, just for the balanced look it gives

The looks do not bother me and I like lighter weight but although these stop fine I do wish the stopped better like my old v11 slower did.

Offline John in PA

• Gaggle Hero
  • ML & me
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2016, 08:57:01 AM »
I've run a bunch of Mistrals on a bunch of Guzzi's.  I've never been disappointed in build quality or sound.  I've found on some of them with removable dB killers, that you can tweak the sound by drilling some extra holes in the dB killer.  I don't run any of them without the insert (obnoxiously loud, IMHO), but found (Stelvio and Norge 2V specifically) that I wanted a bit more sound than the unaltered dB killer provided.  YMMV
John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA
Buncha Guzzi's

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2016, 10:22:32 AM »
I've run a bunch of Mistrals on a bunch of Guzzi's.  I've never been disappointed in build quality or sound.  I've found on some of them with removable dB killers, that you can tweak the sound by drilling some extra holes in the dB killer.  I don't run any of them without the insert (obnoxiously loud, IMHO), but found (Stelvio and Norge 2V specifically) that I wanted a bit more sound than the unaltered dB killer provided.  YMMV

That is what I am thinking: drilling some holes in the DB killer and/or cutting it shorter (if the DB killer proves to be too effective).
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2016, 10:25:49 AM »
Hi Jeff,

That is a beautiful Racer! I especially love the chrome tank and red frame. Too bad the chrome tank has been replaced with matte-du-jour (or, as MG USA calls it, "A COMPLETELY NEW STUNNING GRAPHIC").

2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2016, 11:39:42 AM »
What do you estimate the weight savings to be for the Mistral vs. the stock exhaust for the 2V Norge?  Are you getting the Carbon Fiber one or the steel one?
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Silver Goose

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2016, 12:02:36 PM »
 :thumb: for the Mistral can. I have used on the 2007 Norge and the 2009 Stelvio without any problem. No other changes.

Good Luck
2007 Norge
2002 BMW K1200 LT
1959 Indian/enfield
1964 Norton
2008 Can Am Spyder

Offline old as dirt 2

• Hatchling
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2016, 01:11:20 PM »
What do you estimate the weight savings to be for the Mistral vs. the stock exhaust for the 2V Norge?  Are you getting the Carbon Fiber one or the steel one?
I will weigh them up next week when I get the new can.
2013 Norge
2008 MP3 500

ponti_33609

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2016, 05:32:07 PM »
I will weigh them up next week when I get the new can.

On my v7 was about 4.5 pounds per muffler.

Offline old as dirt 2

• Hatchling
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2016, 02:25:56 PM »
got the new mistral carbon yesterday. the weight difference is about 1/2 the stock, couldn't measure is properly as my garage scale is inop. the fit and finish are excellent on the new can. very easy to install.
2013 Norge
2008 MP3 500

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2016, 08:08:24 PM »
got the new mistral carbon yesterday. the weight difference is about 1/2 the stock, couldn't measure is properly as my garage scale is inop. the fit and finish are excellent on the new can. very easy to install.

Now, please tell us how it sounds, with and without the DB killer!
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline old as dirt 2

• Hatchling
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2016, 08:46:57 PM »
Now, please tell us how it sounds, with and without the DB killer!
with it sounded good, with out much deeper and fuller. the db killer is a small reducer just at the end, maybe 2.5" lpng with a 1/2 step down.  have to get the norge out this weekend and open er up  for a better report.
2013 Norge
2008 MP3 500

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2016, 09:24:40 PM »
with it sounded good, with out much deeper and fuller. the db killer is a small reducer just at the end, maybe 2.5" lpng with a 1/2 step down.  have to get the norge out this weekend and open er up  for a better report.

Ah, it sounds like that is what I need!

Did you need to use the two-inch long aluminum exhaust hanger extension that comes with our stock silencers to clear the left pannier? Also, any pics you could share?
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here