Author Topic: New Zealand food  (Read 12757 times)

Fuzzy

Re: New Zealand food
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2016, 01:21:39 PM »
I am really not looking for an argument here, but I think it is a mistake to paint American food, coffee, beer, etc...with a broad brush. In almost any substantial urban area here you will find restaurants, coffee shops, and micro-breweries run independently by people who are educated, trained, worldly, and really care about the product. If you want them, they are there.
Chain restaurants may be american food, but they are not American food. My son, 14 yrs old, has never eaten at a MacDonalds, Burger King, Chili's, or any other restaurant that you can find in a parking lot of a mall. It is not mandatory.
Our micro brewers and craft brewers make fermented malt beverages that are as varied and delicious as any in the world. And there a lot of them.
Coffees not bad either. Down the hill from my house there is a cafe where I can get espresso, a cortado, or a cappuccino that is just fine, and as good as a casual coffee as I've had in southern Europe.
If you can't find good quality here, it is because you are not trying. Or you have't been here in the last 15 years.
And, by the way, with all due respect, if New Zealand was famous for it's food, you wouldn't have to tell us.
Come visit, I will give you a tour.

Penderic

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2016, 01:27:59 PM »

I dont care, no matter where you are, never piss off the cook!  :lipsrsealed:

"What?! You want Ketchup with that?"
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 01:28:36 PM by Penderic »

oldbike54

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2016, 01:29:08 PM »
 Fuzzy , it wasn't a Kiwi making any claims regarding how famous their food is , rather one of their cousins across the ditch claiming Aussies are world renowned for food . Kiwis are more famous for understatement . So does Emu taste like wild chicken ?

Dusty

Fuzzy

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2016, 04:10:40 PM »
Ahhhh...that explains everything. Thanks for setting me straight, Dusty. And my apologies to anyone I may have wronged. I made a mistake, I thought I was a little smart.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2016, 04:10:40 PM »

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2016, 04:38:38 PM »

:boozing:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

oldbike54

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2016, 05:00:57 PM »
Ahhhh...that explains everything. Thanks for setting me straight, Dusty. And my apologies to anyone I may have wronged. I made a mistake, I thought I was a little smart.

Not always easy to keep the Ozzie/Kiwi thing sorted out , both being upside down and all  :laugh:

Dusty

beetle

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2016, 05:38:36 PM »
Your upside down!

Join the fight! Make South the top!

Offline drw916

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2016, 06:09:43 PM »
I was at the BMW national rally in Spokane a few years back and was sitting in the beer garden with a rider from Germany.  He was drinking a Rainier Beer with a look of distaste.  I asked him what was wrong and he said: (in thick German accent) It says this beer has been made since 1885.  You would think after that long they could do a better job.

I bought him a local micro brew and all was well with German-American relations.
2022 Triumph Tiger Sport 660
1969 Honda 90 (CM91)

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2016, 06:27:20 PM »
I am really not looking for an argument here, but I think it is a mistake to paint American food, coffee, beer, etc...with a broad brush. In almost any substantial urban area here you will find restaurants, coffee shops, and micro-breweries run independently by people who are educated, trained, worldly, and really care about the product. If you want them, they are there.
Chain restaurants may be american food, but they are not American food. My son, 14 yrs old, has never eaten at a MacDonalds, Burger King, Chili's, or any other restaurant that you can find in a parking lot of a mall. It is not mandatory.
Our micro brewers and craft brewers make fermented malt beverages that are as varied and delicious as any in the world. And there a lot of them.
Coffees not bad either. Down the hill from my house there is a cafe where I can get espresso, a cortado, or a cappuccino that is just fine, and as good as a casual coffee as I've had in southern Europe.
If you can't find good quality here, it is because you are not trying. Or you have't been here in the last 15 years.
And, by the way, with all due respect, if New Zealand was famous for it's food, you wouldn't have to tell us.
Come visit, I will give you a tour.
I was in the US for a month last year, west coast and east coast and not arguing at all just putting forward a point of view. I never frequent those big chains either with or without the kids and I guess you made my original point for me when you said if you cant find good food in the US then you're just not trying, the thing is here in Melbourne we don't have to try its all around no matter where you go and its very affordable. Great Coffee and Cafe's as well. I will admit that I'm spoilt as Melbourne is the cuisine capital of Australia.
If we need to work on anything here its service, its usually quite good but you get the occasional ordinary experience. I don't think "service" comes that naturally to Aussies, its something we have to concentrate on.
One thing I did start getting into over there is eating at the bar, started enjoying that towards the end of the trip in Washington. Relaxed and you get to meet people eating at the bar as well.

Ciao   
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 06:33:58 PM by lucky phil »
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Fuzzy

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2016, 07:35:41 PM »
If it wasn't such a long flight, and I wasn't such a wimp...it sounds like a great place to eat and drink, two of my favorite activities, Unless your food keeps falling off your plate down there. Do you have to swirl your wine clockwise?

beetle

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2016, 07:38:22 PM »
Food is superglued to the plate, and we drink wine through straws.

Offline injundave

• Gosling
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2016, 08:31:17 PM »
As I recall the ancient Egyptians regarded south as "up" and they were around long before the northern hemisphere rose to prominence. Therefore we Down-underites can claim historical precedence.
1975 850 T3
1980 V50 (Now belongs to my daughter)
2019 V85TT

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2016, 08:52:33 PM »
I was at the BMW national rally in Spokane a few years back and was sitting in the beer garden with a rider from Germany.  He was drinking a Rainier Beer with a look of distaste. I asked him what was wrong and he said: (in thick German accent) It says this beer has been made since 1885.  You would think after that long they could do a better job.

I bought him a local micro brew and all was well with German-American relations.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 08:53:23 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2016, 08:56:49 PM »
I was in the US for a month last year, west coast and east coast and not arguing at all just putting forward a point of view. I never frequent those big chains either with or without the kids and I guess you made my original point for me when you said if you cant find good food in the US then you're just not trying, the thing is here in Melbourne we don't have to try its all around no matter where you go and its very affordable. Great Coffee and Cafe's as well. I will admit that I'm spoilt as Melbourne is the cuisine capital of Australia.
If we need to work on anything here its service, its usually quite good but you get the occasional ordinary experience. I don't think "service" comes that naturally to Aussies, its something we have to concentrate on.
One thing I did start getting into over there is eating at the bar, started enjoying that towards the end of the trip in Washington. Relaxed and you get to meet people eating at the bar as well.

Ciao   

I've heard so much about Aussie food.  Well actually, not so much.  But, this is what we know.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 08:59:43 PM by LowRyter »
John L 

beetle

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2016, 11:09:46 PM »
Prawns, not shrimp. Prawns.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2016, 11:18:40 PM »
Prawns, not shrimp. Prawns.

:grin: :grin: :grin: Perhaps Paul Hogan came from 'Merica? :evil:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Mr Revhead

• Gosling
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2016, 11:22:46 PM »
the thing is here in Melbourne we don't have to try its all around no matter where you go and its very affordable. Great Coffee and Cafe's as well. I will admit that I'm spoilt as Melbourne is the cuisine capital of Australia.

I've been to Melbourne a few times, and will be there a few more. The food is amazing... Wander the Lane ways and you will find suburb eateries of all ethnicities, I have a couple I go to every time, and always try to hunt out more. Also I find it very hard to find a crap coffee in Melbourne. Even from chain stores!! However I have to disagree on your service comments, I've had nothing but stellar service from any place in Melbourne. I always return to NZ thinking our retail and hospo workers need a bit of a kick in the pants.

Also Muzz is correct re the snass and watties sauce!  :thewife:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 11:23:44 PM by Mr Revhead »

beetle

« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2016, 11:26:40 PM »
:grin: :grin: :grin: Perhaps Paul Hogan came from 'Merica? :evil:

The knob lives there now. They can keep him.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2016, 11:30:00 PM »

Yup. If can manage to shoot a wild organic snass they are superb with Watties sauce. :thumb:
03 Breva

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2016, 11:32:56 PM »

The knob lives there now. They can keep him.

But that ad was shot before he had his face lift and went to live in the Sates. I thought even he would know the difference between a shrimp and a prawn. :undecided: Or not...
03 Breva

beetle

« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2016, 11:39:06 PM »
But that ad was shot before he had his face lift and went to live in the Sates. I thought even he would know the difference between a shrimp and a prawn. :undecided: Or not...

The ad was aimed straight at Yanks. But of course, you knew that. 

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2016, 11:46:53 PM »
I must admit I was looking for the stirring emoji but there isn't one. :grin:
03 Breva

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2016, 02:07:27 AM »
I've heard so much about Aussie food.  Well actually, not so much.  But, this is what we know.

That add must be over 30 years old, it was cringe worthy to us Australians even at the time. A lot has changed since then that's for sure.
Ciao

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2016, 02:16:26 AM »
I've been to Melbourne a few times, and will be there a few more. The food is amazing... Wander the Lane ways and you will find suburb eateries of all ethnicities, I have a couple I go to every time, and always try to hunt out more. Also I find it very hard to find a crap coffee in Melbourne. Even from chain stores!! However I have to disagree on your service comments, I've had nothing but stellar service from any place in Melbourne. I always return to NZ thinking our retail and hospo workers need a bit of a kick in the pants.

Yes Melbourne is famous for its little lane way bars and eateries. I'm not a native to Melbourne but when friends from Sydney come down they all want to go there and eat.
Sydney unashamedly tried to copy them over a decade ago and failed but due to people moving back into the Sydney CBD area to live they are trying again with more success this time I hear.
Well I'm off to have a meal with the wife now actually in North Carlton, 2 mains, a shared desert and 2 glasses of very good Australian red, $65au should about do it.
That's about $48US to all you Yanks.
Ciao     
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 02:17:09 AM by lucky phil »

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2016, 09:47:34 AM »
OK, but still, the only Aussie food anyone knows about is "shrimp on the barbie".  I have no doubt there are great restaurants there but I can't think of any type of food, good or bad, that's a signature Australian dish.  They might have good coffee but they didn't invent it.   For that matter I was BBQing shrimp before I saw Crocodile Dundee. 

I know that NZ is famous for sheep.  Aussies have lots of pasture land.  I still can't think of a single Aussie dish.

(BTW- I'll take a PBR over a Foster's any day of the week)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 09:48:34 AM by LowRyter »
John L 

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2016, 10:06:13 AM »

:boozing:

YES! Nectar of the gods! No reason to pay $7.00 or 8.00 a 6 Pak for those wussy beers, you only rent the stuff anyway!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

kirby1923

« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2016, 11:16:01 AM »
Oh...let us not forget Vegemite..for the sophisticated pallet.

Rumor has it that it was invented in Melbourne (or discovered)...yummy!

:-) 

oldbike54

« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2016, 12:36:00 PM »
YES! Nectar of the gods! No reason to pay $7.00 or 8.00 a 6 Pak for those wussy beers, you only rent the stuff anyway!

Depends on how much one drinks , for you case a weekend types sure , for us case a year types the good stuff is worth it  :boozing:

Oh...let us not forget Vegemite..for the sophisticated pallet.

Rumor has it that it was invented in Melbourne (or discovered)...yummy!

:-) 

Sophisticated and Aussie , two words that don't belong together , kind of like Okie and opera  :laugh:

Vegemite is good stuff  :food:

Dusty

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2016, 04:20:11 PM »
Marmite over here. Made from left over yeast from brewing.
03 Breva

Offline RANDM

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2016, 05:50:09 PM »
OK, but still, the only Aussie food anyone knows about is "shrimp on the barbie".  I have no doubt there are great restaurants there but I can't think  :boxing: lots of pasture land.  I still can't think of a single Aussie dish.

(BTW- I'll take a PBR over a Foster's any day of the week)

OK - using your logic - the only yank food we know
about is Macca's, KFC & Hungry J's; the only Coffee Gloria
Jeans .............. So what's YOUR big signature dish?
Hamburger? Gee thanks for that.

It was "shrimp" so you guys would know what he was talking
about.

Like everyone else our cuisine is a blend of the flavours
from every culture that moved here.

Emu tastes like Emu - very nice thankyou, as is Roo, though
Wallaby is 'milder' in flavour - and yes Witchity grubs are
good too, like 'em roasted in the ashes.

We don't drink Fosters either - we sell it to people who don't
Know any better.

Our Produce is among the best and so are the eateries.

Your ignorance isn't our fault.

Maurie.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here