Author Topic: Billy Joel built Springsteen Bike merged threadfest  (Read 9170 times)

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Billy Joel built Springsteen Bike
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2016, 10:54:23 AM »
Not really. A Tonti frame with Loop like sheet metal.

:Beating_A_Dead_Hors e_by_liviu Anyone after and Eldorado doesn't really give a rats what's underneath it they are after a particular aesthetic or at least they shouldn't. Guzzi has put forward a bike thats better appointed and more refined within the constrains of modern production parameters (despite it turning like a boat and stopping like a train). Yet this is still not good enough for some people TBH these people are not going to or ever going to buy a new bike off Guzzi no matter what is put forward it won't ever be right so why should Guzzi care what they think?

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2016, 10:57:37 AM »
Iirc, Billy Joel was photographed sitting on Greg's loop.

photo hosting
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2016, 11:42:19 AM »
Can you imagine the resale value if Christy had been in the pic instead?   :evil:

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2016, 01:12:26 PM »
AZ Wayne touched on it.  Not enough rev's for the charging system.  Bruce hasn't ridden the bike.  He was parading it.  Low rev's with all the lights on.  He should carry a back up battery pack and the battery on board needs a full charge before the parade. 

Bruce needs some ride time with the NJ guys!  NO PARADES!!!   :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2016, 01:12:26 PM »

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2016, 01:47:53 PM »
Why do you think he was "parading"?
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2016, 01:58:57 PM »
After reading the thread, why do you think he wasn't???  Right back at you.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2016, 02:08:55 PM »
I was visiting a rather obscure mc shop/museum (Hugh's Bultaco, Craryville, NY), many years ago. A fellow was spending lots of time gawking @ the Daytona. He turned out to be one of Billy's ex-wives' attorney. He had only seen one other MG b4 and quite obviously was not a fan of Mr. Joel. R3~ 

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2016, 02:22:25 PM »
Billy Joel's shop on Long Island.  A bunch of us Guzzi guys spent all day there hanging and talking to his mechanic/caretaker Alex.  He was working on a Tonti Eldo for Billy several years ago.  Bruce's is definitely a Calvin with custom tins.  They don't sell any of their bikes, but Alex did mention letting a custom Harley go to Bruce in years past.  Sprinsteen INSISTED on going for a ride on it in mid February at 25*F.  This is where I got the idea for the Brown sidestand on a Tonti Guzzi.  Joel's guy does it on all his.

http://www.20thcenturycycles.com
Its a  damn good thing you got the idea for the "browns sidestand" Cam....I dont think I would have kept my LeMans IV, were it not for the browns sidestand from Boxerworks. The original Guzzi "flip stand" scared me to death anytime I got near that bike !
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2016, 02:54:48 PM »
   Because their is no evidence he was.    What we know, he was apparently out for a ride on his somewhat  customized Cal  Vintage, and it qiut.  He or the guys who  stop to help him thought it might be the battery,  though according to the article they never access the battery.

I just think it's interesting that some have diagnosed the problem without having much in the way of facts.    It might be exactly what several have assumed,  however I think it's equally likely its not.
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2016, 06:05:15 PM »
   Because their is no evidence he was.    What we know, he was apparently out for a ride on his somewhat  customized Cal  Vintage, and it qiut.  He or the guys who  stop to help him thought it might be the battery,  though according to the article they never access the battery.

I just think it's interesting that some have diagnosed the problem without having much in the way of facts.    It might be exactly what several have assumed,  however I think it's equally likely its not.

What do you think it was that malfunctioned on his bike?

Offline mcdammitt

• New Egg
  • Do like the Hindu, the best you kin do
Bruce Springsteen
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2016, 03:35:12 PM »
Folks,
 I got a question. If Billy Joel worked on your bike, would you ride it? Does anyone know what was wrong with Bruces bike?
'03 EV w/Champion sidecar
'73 Eldo
'69 Triumph Bonney
'47 Nimbus
'72 Norton Commando
'81 Laverda 1200

Offline guzziownr

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Bruce Springsteen
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2016, 03:49:19 PM »
Mr. Joel does not work on his own bikes.  He has a full time restorer/mechanic on premises:

http://www.20thcenturycycles.com/
If you ever feel like no one pays attention to you, try making a sandwich in front of your dog

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2016, 03:51:52 PM »
Yes , and i would have him singing a song and have good glass of bourbon............ ...

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2016, 03:52:34 PM »
Oh yes, most definitley.  There is a group of experts here who have completely diagnosed the problem, and assigned fault.  I'm sure Tom and Kev will be checking in to confirm their findings promptly. :grin: :laugh:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 03:53:24 PM by bad Chad »
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

oldbike54

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2016, 03:57:01 PM »
  Seems he had a dead battery due to running lights and riding around at low RPM's . Besides , do we know for sure if Billy Joel doesn't possess some modicum of mechanical talent ? Hell , he may be a member here and might have been asking questions all along  :laugh:

Dusty
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 04:03:09 PM by oldbike54 »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Billy Joel built Springsteen Bike merged threadfest
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2016, 04:54:46 PM »
Folks,
 I got a question. If Billy Joel worked on your bike, would you ride it? Does anyone know what was wrong with Bruces bike?
All we think is the battery went dead while riding it (and that from the newspaper report).

If true that strongly suggests a known issue on the model, but no one here knows for sure (or they're not talking).

And some people are butt hurt over the speculation. <shrugs>
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline mcdammitt

• New Egg
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2016, 06:04:02 PM »
Where the hell did my Bruce Springsteen site go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
'73 Eldo
'69 Triumph Bonney
'47 Nimbus
'72 Norton Commando
'81 Laverda 1200

oldbike54

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2016, 06:07:05 PM »
Where the hell did my Bruce Springsteen site go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Merged with this one , it never hurts to actually "read" the board . We don't need more than one thread on this topic .

Dusty

Offline mcdammitt

• New Egg
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2016, 06:14:39 PM »
Dusty,
 How the F@@k do you merge?
'73 Eldo
'69 Triumph Bonney
'47 Nimbus
'72 Norton Commando
'81 Laverda 1200

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2016, 06:16:21 PM »
Dusty,
 How the F@@k do you merge?
The answer is either a talk about the birds and bees, OR an explanation that Dusty is a moderator...
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

oldbike54

« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2016, 06:19:59 PM »
The answer is either a talk about the birds and bees, OR an explanation that Dusty is a moderator...

Yeah , mods have magical powers , some I still don't fully understand , like what that big red button actually does  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline mcdammitt

• New Egg
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2016, 06:40:04 PM »
Billy,
 If you are having issues with any of your bikes, we in northern Michigan will gladly help you with your issues during our Moto Guzzi rally in Michigan on August 18-19 and 20th , in the Interlochen area. Actually bring your piano, we need a band.
'73 Eldo
'69 Triumph Bonney
'47 Nimbus
'72 Norton Commando
'81 Laverda 1200

bpreynolds

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2016, 09:05:47 PM »
Dead battery?
Only the Guzzis die young?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 09:06:36 PM by bpreynolds »

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2016, 06:00:28 AM »
Mr. Joel does not work on his own bikes.  He has a full time restorer/mechanic on premises:

http://www.20thcenturycycles.com/

And last time we were there, WE were advising Alex (his mechanic) on some of the quirks associated with certain Guzzi models.  He was a BMW mechanic when he rescued Billy stranded on the side of the road...on a GUZZI.  Got offered the job, moved to Long Island, and the rest is history
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 10:08:32 AM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2016, 07:15:58 AM »
Yeah , mods have magical powers , some I still don't fully understand , like what that big red button actually does  :laugh:

Dusty
The big red button is labeled SMITE.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2016, 07:25:26 AM »
Those Craven bags look really nice on that bike. I had a neighbor in Albuquerque that did a V7 Sport homage that was based on a Cali 1100i. You could not have distinguished it from the original, but for the heads and throttle bodies. That old Tonti frame gives a custom builder some great options...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

bpreynolds

« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2016, 10:01:07 AM »
:Beating_A_Dead_Hors e_by_liviu Anyone after and Eldorado doesn't really give a rats what's underneath it they are after a particular aesthetic or at least they shouldn't. Guzzi has put forward a bike thats better appointed and more refined within the constrains of modern production parameters (despite it turning like a boat and stopping like a train). Yet this is still not good enough for some people TBH these people are not going to or ever going to buy a new bike off Guzzi no matter what is put forward it won't ever be right so why should Guzzi care what they think?

I beg to differ.  I've now bought 2 new Guzzis and many others as well so my clamoring here can't really be put away as just the rantings of a guy with no intentions to buy anyhow.  The new 1400s have just never been my cup o tea visually nor specifically with all that weight.  I think Bruce's bike here is stunning and I would buy it in a heartbeat any day of the week over a 1400.  Personally, I always thought a 550lb 8V 1200 California would not sit too greatly in competition to the 1400 and could "possibly" exist under the same banner.  I've always said this and do wish the company would have made it instead of the 1400.  But oh well.   :Beating_A_Dead_Hors e_by_liviu
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 10:02:17 AM by bpreynolds »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here