Author Topic: Thinking of Selling ....  (Read 8837 times)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Thinking of Selling ....
« on: May 04, 2015, 08:21:46 PM »
This one I just invented makes the fourth thread on the first page that starts "Thinking of selling".

I think that I'm NOT going to sell anything that's less than 15 years old or so.

The reason - You can't get a lot of money for a used, non-classic Guzzi.   That's why we BUY them - because they're cheap!  We HOPE that we can get enough money to help buy that new bike we REALLY want, but that almost never happens.

When someone puts up a really nice late-model Guzzi for sale, everyone (to be encouraging) talks about how nice it is and how they're drooling all over the floor, but you know, I can't swing it JUST now but I'm sure someone will buy it, etc.   

I'm hanging on to mine!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
  • Aprilia Caponord 1200, Aprilia Shiver, gone MG B11
Re: Thinking of Selling ....
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 08:42:26 PM »
I hate the hassle of selling a bike. Hopefully, my son will have to figure out what to do with those dang old Italian bikes after I'm gone.
North Carolina

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 08:45:52 PM »
What's the cheapest thing on a Guzzi?

The OWNER!
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 08:47:13 PM »
I hate the hassle of selling a bike. Hopefully, my son will have to figure out what to do with those dang old Italian bikes after I'm gone.

I've sold mine the easy way ... for my Centauro, my Eldo, and my Cal III, in each case a fellow Guzzisti came up to me at a rally and made me an offer, which I took.   No unhappy people that way, no hassles, no bounced checks.  Works UNLESS you have some notion that you have to sell the bike for "what you have in it", which is almost never possible .....

Lannis

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 08:47:13 PM »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 08:53:44 PM »
Works UNLESS you have some notion that you have to sell the bike for "what you have in it", which is almost never possible .....

Lannis

Sold the last several at a profit, however slight, and a few others for what I had in them. Only ones I ever lost money on were ones I bought new...
Charlie

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 09:01:56 PM »
Sold the last several at a profit, however slight, and a few others for what I had in them. Only ones I ever lost money on were ones I bought new...

Yebbut, you're dealing with old bikes and you make a living at it ..... The usual guy who buys a new or late model bike and loads it up with $2,500 worth of accessories (why, that would be ME!) and rides it a year or two and wants to sell it (that's NOT me) is going to be HEARTBROKEN at what he's offered for it.   

And if he NEEDS the money (not just a notion that he might want to maybe sell it, but needs the money), he'll have to take the offer, a sadder but wiser man ....

Lannis

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 09:16:38 PM »
Education is pricey, ignorance is expensive.
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

lucydad

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 09:25:35 PM »
Hmmm...interesting thoughts.  To me bikes are in a category of "never investment" and "don't expect value to hold". 

The value to me:  simple fun and enjoyment and distraction.  Motorcycles are the best of toys, relatively affordable, and can last a long, long time with care.

I am intrigued by an older big block Guzzi, but I don't know of one light enough and with a seat low enough that I could ride comfortably.  Likely I am just uninformed though. 

Could not get myself to trade my V7R, its just too cool and fun.  If the right person, really interested in the bike offered to buy, if I liked them, they might, maybe get a deal.  Who knows maybe Ms. LD will want it, or even my youngest daughter.  MV Agusta dealer wanted it for his dad, but I did not like their 675 triple.

May must be bike sell and trade season.  I remember snowmobiles--same thing.  May would come and people would give great sleds away not wanting to store them all summer. 

What else?  Cash is King,  he who has the cash makes the rules.  Planned obsolesce is the game by all bike and toy makers.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 10:12:28 PM »
I don't buy any bikes expecting to make more $ on them or even break even on cost.  I buy them to enjoy what they do for me and usually keep them a long time.  But it is interesting older Guzzis I've owned don't depreciate like any other brand bike I've owned.  8)  Right now I'm at the point in my life where all the bikes/scooters I have (all paid for) meet all the needs I want.  :BEER:  Now all I have to do is keep them running, which is cheaper than replacing them.  ;D  When you have multiple bikes to ride, they last longer.  ;-T
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 10:18:18 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline Jukebox

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 03:34:31 AM »
The value to me:  simple fun and enjoyment and distraction. :+1

Harry

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 06:06:56 AM »

This.

I did my research long and hard before I bought. I know I got a screaming deal on the Breva because I tracked prices for over a year and the seller was in a pinch to dump the bike in the off-season. I didn't haggle him down at all either, it was more than a fair price.

I also never expect anything I buy to be worth jack when I go to sell it, that way any money I get for it is a good deal. I take good care of my vehicles because I like to, not because I'm trying to save it for the next owner.

It really is amazing how good of a bike you can get for so little money when it comes to Guzzi. I fully expect to buy a used small block at some point for my girlfriend to ride, now if only THOSE prices would come down... Or if only people would sell them at all... There are almost zero V7s for sale in the seattle area and I suspect M.I. sells the crap out of those, goes to say how good the bikes are.

ponti_33609

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 06:20:17 AM »
This.

I did my research long and hard before I bought. I know I got a screaming deal on the Breva because I tracked prices for over a year and the seller was in a pinch to dump the bike in the off-season. I didn't haggle him down at all either, it was more than a fair price.

I also never expect anything I buy to be worth jack when I go to sell it, that way any money I get for it is a good deal. I take good care of my vehicles because I like to, not because I'm trying to save it for the next owner.

It really is amazing how good of a bike you can get for so little money when it comes to Guzzi. I fully expect to buy a used small block at some point for my girlfriend to ride, now if only THOSE prices would come down... Or if only people would sell them at all... There are almost zero V7s for sale in the seattle area and I suspect M.I. sells the crap out of those, goes to say how good the bikes are.

I think that can be said (get good stuff for a great price) for most of these type of "toys" regardless of most brands (unless you are after something highly prized).  I just purchased a new V7 from MI.  First new Guzzi and new bike since I was 16.  I am guessing when I sell it will be worth 35-50% of new in 7-8 years so a ~$4K hit.  Buying used is the way-to-go IMO and you take much less of a hit.  Like you, I bought a 7 year old (at the time) V11 for about half off what the original owner paid.  Had 3,300 miles on it and like new.  Kept it for 7 years and although I added some farkles, I got 87% of what I paid for it.  Only bought what I did this time is the Mrs said "just buy new".

Offline jkguzzi

• Gosling
    • JKnorth
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 06:39:01 AM »
I want to sell the Convert but I think I can do better by parting it out.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 06:49:11 AM »
I want to sell the Convert but I think I can do better by parting it out.
good luck with that.. you'll have half the bike left with no interest in those parts..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 06:50:43 AM »
LD My Hydro Stone fits me fine (29 in inseam).
He ain't heavy.  He's my brother.  She in this case.  A bit tough to pick up off yourself but it can be done.  Don't ask how I  know.

Have you managed to get your camping kit together yet?
Are you coming to lunch in Lockheart May 17?
Check out Guzzi Riders in Texas on Facebook for details.  Mrs LD or the daughter can show you how ;D

I never expect to make money selling a bike, although it happens on occasion. Takes someone more shrewd than me to consistently make a profit.    More concerned with passing it along to a good owner.  Wish more of the younger relatives rode they'd have a great source of good used bikes.  

Dave
Galveston

« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 06:17:22 PM by davedel44 »
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 07:29:48 AM »

As long as KAB and I are on a bike,  we're happy riding! 

We've put over 100,000 miles on our Futura and Breva 1100.  These being our first and second bike.   We loved every mile!   We still have the aprilia.....I've been told I'm not allowed to sell that one.   ;D

As long as it has enough power to haul us around comfortably, we're good.   We loved our Breva 1100 (put around 53,000 miles on it).  Just needed something a little more spread out is all.  Our knees start to ache after 8 or so hours in the saddle..    Sidenote:  I wish they put that same 4v engine in the Stelvio.....I miss my clutch rattle!

Funny how it seems to rile some people up a bit when someone wants to sell a bike...

Be happy!  Ride safe!

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2015, 07:36:27 AM »
I've sold mine the easy way ...

Yeah, me too. Rosie will be making titanium music headed south tomorrow. That'll be a bittersweet moment  :-\ but the Aero Lario is taking over her duties, and I can bring the Mighty Scura home.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline swmckinley54

• Hatchling
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2015, 07:54:49 AM »
I had a Futura, one of my top 5 bikes. The only bike my wife is happy on is the Victory Vision, talk about stretching out, that bike is the bomb. But I always look forward to being back on the NTX at the end of the day. My 2012 is getting close to having 40K on the clock and if I had to do it all over again I would buy the Stelvio.
Steven Mckinley
Austin, TX
2016 Eldorado

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2015, 09:05:33 AM »
I've taken it on the chin when selling a bike or two. For the most part, I have broken fairly even or even came out ahead. When I do lose a little money, I divide the number of month's enjoyment I got from the bike by the dollar loss. I consider that rent. Where else can you rent a motorcycle for say 50 to 75 bucks a month, and ride it like you stole it? Typical: I bought this Sportster for 3500 bucks. Put another grand in it for tires and accessories. Now she's for sale/trade for $4500. Assume they get it for 4 grand. I rented a Harley for 66 bucks a month. The longer I own it, the cheaper the rent.  :D

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/mcy/5008735203.html 

2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

ponti_33609

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2015, 09:30:31 AM »
I've taken it on the chin when selling a bike or two. For the most part, I have broken fairly even or even came out ahead. When I do lose a little money, I divide the number of month's enjoyment I got from the bike by the dollar loss. I consider that rent. Where else can you rent a motorcycle for say 50 to 75 bucks a month, and ride it like you stole it? Typical: I bought this Sportster for 3500 bucks. Put another grand in it for tires and accessories. Now she's for sale/trade for $4500. Assume they get it for 4 grand. I rented a Harley for 66 bucks a month. The longer I own it, the cheaper the rent.  :D

I agree 1000% with your logic and do the same.  BTW, that is a nice looking Sportster you are selling.  Again, someone will have a nice bike with <10K miles for ~$4K.  Everyone wins.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2015, 09:31:46 AM »

Well, once rideable, running bikes get down to a certain price point, they don't go much lower.    

You can buy and sell and ride older Guzzis in the $2500 - $3000 range and not plan on losing a lot of money, maybe a few hundred dollars for convenience.

Or Sportsters - in the price range and condition you're talking about, you won't lose much, ever.    

You could pay $6000 for a good-running, clean loopframe, keep it maintained and kept up, and you'll never lose any money on it except your operating costs.   But if you buy a $14,000 Norge and want to sell it in a couple years, be prepared to lose 7 or 8 large for the privilege .....

Lannis

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2015, 09:59:22 AM »
Yeah, me too. Rosie will be making titanium music headed south tomorrow. That'll be a bittersweet moment  :-\ but the Aero Lario is taking over her duties, and I can bring the Mighty Scura home.

:o :o :o :o

did you sell Rosie ?
Congratulation to the lucky new owner....

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2015, 01:00:05 PM »

Buy high/sell low will put you in the poor farm if done enough.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2015, 02:57:40 PM »

:o :o :o :o

did you sell Rosie ?
Congratulation to the lucky new owner....

Yeah, it was the sensible thing to do. I guess..  :(
Even before the Aero conversion, I was getting on the Lario for most rides. The Mighty Scura (my favorite bike) sits out in California rusting and corroding. I'll take the Commie Thumper out to ride the California canyons, and bring the Scura home where I can play with it more.  ;D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Abbienormal

• New Egg
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2015, 03:36:46 PM »

You could pay $6000 for a good-running, clean loopframe, keep it maintained and kept up, and you'll never lose any money on it except your operating costs.   But if you buy a $14,000 Norge and want to sell it in a couple years, be prepared to lose 7 or 8 large for the privilege .....

Lannis

Sounds kind of low. I lost more than 8 large on my Norge. So then I played it safe and bought a used 2010 R1200GS with lots of extras at a good price. I now know BMW's are just German Harley's. After I put what I considered needed accessories on it and rode it for 9 months I sold it for ONLY about a loss of 6 large. Next year bought a 2012 leftover Suzuki V-Strom new and accessoried it up like the BMW and still have it and like it. The following year I found a deal on a used 2014 California tour that I figured I would not lose much on but I know better now except I am not thinking of selling it.
I'd like a new V7II but I seem to be burning money a bit too fast so I'll keep what I have. I live in Ohio and the season is too short anyway.
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring
2012 Suzuki 650 V-Strom Adventure
1998 Honda PC 800 Pacific Coast
2 (count them) 1972 Suzuki TS 90
1992 Yamaha Razz 50

andrewdonald1

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2015, 07:33:42 PM »
I say buy one bike that can do almost all of it.. and hold on to it. 
And purchase that bike used... NTX.

that should keep the blood bath down...
that's the accountant in me.. after loosing my ass in my 30's in bikes and cars.

Unfortunately passion sometimes takes a front seat to accounting..

Offline jkguzzi

• Gosling
    • JKnorth
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2015, 06:11:59 AM »
good luck with that.. you'll have half the bike left with no interest in those parts..

You're probably right but I'll have all of the fun of taking it apart and the stuff that doesn't sell can go to the scrap yard with the yearly load of collected steel. I'd have to replace the drive shaft to sell it and I don't think it's worth the expense. And with Larry Klein gone I don't think there is anywhere in Michigan that would repair it.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here