Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
You’re on your way to writing a small block spec book ;)

I mentioned 470 lb. for the V7 III because the manufacturer lists 461-470 lb. in their manuals. Perhaps due to the spoked wheels vs cast? Or the mudguards? Lacking tach gauge on some? All of the above? Dunno.

I THINK most/all of my specs are specifically for the Stone variants (when such variants exist) in an attempt to make them as much apples-to-apples. Though I'm sure I settled for what I could find if it wasn't a Stone in one or more cases.

But once you get to things like the V7II or III with so many model variants (Stornello, or Carbons, Milano, Racer, Stone, Scrambler etc etc) I'm sure there are some variances in weight between models - ones with full fenders vs ones with abbreviated fenders etc.

Not sure on the wheels, I just remember that MKI forward are lighter than same on previous models.
General Discussion / Re: Recommendations for a first enduro bike?
« Last post by maquette on Today at 10:58:15 AM »
I have found my Kawasaki Super Sherpa is quite manageable, I'm 230 5'11".  I have no other comparison to base it off of just picked it up to ride with my Son in the woods. 

The large front wheel is able to cross some gnarly stuff and has plenty of speed, for roadways.  I would not recommend highway riding on it though because you'll get moved around as it is very light.  You could sprocket it for highway speed but might lose out of the enjoyable stop and go torque. 

I was invited out for some Class 6 roads riding in Vermont and most of the heavier KTMS were struggling, and the newer Kawasaki and Hondas were bogging down on the rocks.  The Sherpa just sloughed right through anything it encountered.  I would stall it out occasionally, but had a blast on some of those river beds they call roads.

I did put a 300 cylinder kit on it and jetted it correctly.

What brand and size tires are you using on your Sherpa? Off topic a little, but hey.

Tom

But I do have a spreadsheet with wet and dry weight measurements that disagree a little with what you've got there (and at least some of that is measured by testers).

Your Data:

• V7 Classic:
    Weight: 436 lb.
  • V7 II:
    Weight: 436 lb.
  • V7 III:
    Weight: 470 lb.

What I've Got:

• V7 Classic:
    Weight (Dry/Wet): 401/444 lb.
  • V7 I:
    Weight (Dry/Wet): 395/443-446 lb.
  • V7 II:
    Weight (Dry/Wet): 417/453 lb.
  • V7 III:
    Weight (Dry/Wet): 432/461 lb.
  • V7 IV-V:
    Weight (Dry/Wet): 437/481-492 lb.

You’re on your way to writing a small block spec book ;)

I mentioned 470 lb. for the V7 III because the manufacturer lists 461-470 lb. in their manuals. Perhaps due to the spoked wheels vs cast? Or the mudguards? Lacking tach gauge on some? All of the above? Dunno.
Still a plastic tank (Breva).

I wouldn't worry TOO much about it, but I defiintely appreciate the larger metal tank on the "later" V7s.

Thanks! While the Breva 750 is indeed plastic, it seems that the Nevada tank is steel, which would be one small tick in its favor. Can anyone confirm?
OP - sorry about tangent, but maybe it's good to compare/contrast various generations of smallblocks when shopping.

No worries. Knowing that there are differences in weight and steering geometry is very helpful!

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2013-Moto+Guzzi-V7+II+STONE-5031142062

Used 2013 Moto Guzzi Standard Motorcycle
V7 II STONE For Sale
 11,288 Miles Reduced
$3,900

Not a V7II - it's a V7 I.

I'm sure others are available or will crop up.
I'd sit on a California before I ruled it out. I can't say I flat foot mine
like my Ambo, but I have enough of my feet down at a stop light to feel
stable. I'm 5' 10" with like a 24" inseam.

-AJ
General Discussion / Re: Stornello Replacement Tires?
« Last post by BoatDoc on Today at 10:21:28 AM »
I've got a Stornello that I've lightly modified for off pavement riding. Have done the MABDR and ACT Portugal and perhaps 5K of the 40K on the bike is off pavement. After the Goldens wore out I've used the Shinko 705, 4.10-18 up front and 130/80-17 rear. Certainly an 80/20 type of tire but they worked fine in everything but soft sand and deep mud, but then again, that could just be my lack of skill in that stuff! I get about 6K on the rear and 11K on the front. A bit of vibration on the road, so I found a pair of Bridgestone AX41S on sale that are the stock sizes and picked them up for the next try. They are 90/10s.

There are obviously much better bikes out there for the NEBDR, but if you take it slowly...!
I'm in CT so might see you. We plan to do the VT PDR in late July.

Have fun!

Cheers,
Paul
All super helpful replies, folks! Thank you.

I should have been clearer about my price range. In reality, it's $3500 or less. Not seeing V7s in that range, except for the odd 2010. (Having owned a 2005 Multistrada, I'd rather avoid the plastic tank!)

So I'm limited to older stuff like this '04 Breva in PA for $2500, which has been on FBM for 40 weeks!
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/182528568139173/

Still a plastic tank (Breva).

I wouldn't worry TOO much about it, but I defiintely appreciate the larger metal tank on the "later" V7s.

I BETCHA $3500 is possible. Just wait for the right one.
Regina says she is 5-4 to 5-5.  She now has over 100,000 miles on a 98 EV-HDM.  Shorter rear shocks.  Raised fork tubes by 20mm.  Moved the computer into battery compartment.  Modified seat pan and padding.  No problems with the handling or performance.  The only issue is that it becomes a LOT harder to raise onto the center stand.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here