Author Topic: Northwest Island Tour  (Read 820 times)

Online Nortman54

• New Egg
Northwest Island Tour
« on: February 10, 2020, 07:41:03 PM »
Hi All
Wife and I are thinking of a trip which would include trailering the Norge to the Seattle area from our home in Central CA.  We would park our rig at a friends house and take the Norge on a tour of at least Orcas and San Juan Islands and then on to Vancouver Island.  We have been to Vancouver Island and even rented a motorcycle and explored there some.  We have never been to the San Juan Islands.  My question to some who know that area is are there any things we should not miss or other local knowledge that would be beneficial.  Thinking of 2-3 nights on Orcas and same on San Juan, then 4-5 on Vancouver Island.  This trip would be in late August, early September.  Thanks for any advice.
Chuck in Central CA

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Northwest Island Tour
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 08:21:44 PM »
Well, the wife and I really enjoyed the Hon Rain Forest, and the falls at Snoqualmie Falls.

there is a great little waterfall on the way to the Hon Rain Forest, but its a 3 mile hike there and back.  We also drove to first beach, and took several of the trails to the ocean, absolutely gorgeous.  The wife wanted to see where the Twilight moves were filmed, and seeing many of places from Highlander the TV series was interesting.

the roads running up into the forest are a nice drive, not all are gravel.

If you like architecture, the library in Seattle is modernism building.  The inside is amazing, but outside is an acquired taste, I like it, but many don't.

Old Head
06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 10:26:58 PM »
Hi, Chuck.

I live on the North Island, and can recommend a number of places to explore here.  However, you mention that you have toured here before, so not sure what you have and haven't seen already.  Let me know where you have been, and I'll provide some additional suggestions.

Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 11:53:59 PM »
I have never been there. When I worked in the shop restoring radial aircraft engines we did a couple for a guy in San Juan. He does flights in a bi-plane for hire.You might check that out.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 11:53:59 PM »

Online Nortman54

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 09:07:17 AM »
Thanks smbl and others.  The only thing we did on a m/c on Vanouver Island was to ride from Victoria to Port Renfro and back and that was 15 years ago.  It was a pretty ride but an up and back.  I hear now that Hwy 18 (I think) is paved so a loop is possible.  Since we have never been to the San Juan Islands I thought it would be nice to go there.  I hear the ride up Mt Constitution is nice but other than that is there much worth riding on Orcas or San Juan.  Kayaking and whale watching are 2 other activities we would like to do.  I know also there is a lot we didn't see on Vancouver Island so riding and exploring there is on the proposed agenda.  Any do's and dont' s as far as taking a m/c on the ferry.  Sounds pretty straight forward but appreciate any tips.  Thanks all.
Chuck in Central CA.

Offline jared p

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 06:45:47 PM »
Depending on the amount of time, I'd  highly recommend a ride out n back over North Cascades Highway to Winthrop, or Artist Point up Mt Baker, down Whidbey to Deception Pass, or up Chuckanut Drive, or instead head out to Makah Bay, some beautiful hikes out there and then take the ferry from Port Angeles instead of San Juans, then ferry outta Victoria through San Juans. Finally, do not speed in Canada, mandatory 7 day impound for 40kph over.

If you need any last minute things for the bike, Optimum Performance Motorsports is the Moto Guzzi dealership just outside Seattle. In terms of riding in the San Juans, you'll need to reserve your ferry crossing ahead of time or risk a sell out keeping you in Anacortes for some extra time.

The islands are definitely going to be a slow cruise, but beautiful, but also full o deer. If you're spending 2-3 days on each island, it will be mostly for relaxing, it won't take but half a day to ride each island. Lodging is expensive and also sells out quick, so reserve well in advance. There's pretty fantastic food on the islands.

Vancouver Island has a lot of beautiful leisurely riding available all the way up to Port Hardy. A ferry up to Bella Coola and then riding the back way down to Vancouver is also a phenomenal trip, but does include gravel and in September, weather may be a bit breezy and rainy.

It all depends on your riding style, how many hours/miles a day you ride, stops etc. But there is many options for great riding around the area to suit any style.
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 01:13:32 AM »
Thanks smbl and others.  The only thing we did on a m/c on Vanouver Island was to ride from Victoria to Port Renfro and back and that was 15 years ago.  It was a pretty ride but an up and back.  I hear now that Hwy 18 (I think) is paved so a loop is possible.  Since we have never been to the San Juan Islands I thought it would be nice to go there.  I hear the ride up Mt Constitution is nice but other than that is there much worth riding on Orcas or San Juan.  Kayaking and whale watching are 2 other activities we would like to do.  I know also there is a lot we didn't see on Vancouver Island so riding and exploring there is on the proposed agenda.  Any do's and dont' s as far as taking a m/c on the ferry.  Sounds pretty straight forward but appreciate any tips.  Thanks all.
Chuck in Central CA.

Hi, Chuck.

Port Renfrew is a great ride, and the best part, IMHO, is the Pacific Marine Road over to Cowichan.  Kind of remote, with no cell service, so you need to be a little careful, but what an incredible road!  Just take it easy as the pavement is pretty rough from Sooke right through to Cowichan.

Another ride worth exploring would be Hwy 4 through Port Alberni and then out to Long Beach and Tofino.  Be sure to stop at Cathedral Grove to check out the trees. 

Besides that, the ride out to Gold River from Campbell River is nice, although not super long.  Also, heading north up through Telegraph Cove, Port McNeil and Port Hardy, etc., is very worthwhile.

Lots of other great rides, although none that are really long, as there ready isn't a lot of ground to cover.  Either day rides or comfortable overnighters are to be expected.  With the time you have planned, you could likely do all of what I have listed.

I'll second the thought about WA 20 through the Cascades as that is truly one of the best rides I've ever experienced, and it never gets old.  I'll add a recommendation to explore the Olympic Peninsula, too, if you have time,  and you can catch the Coho ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria (although that would bypass the San Juans).

Depending upon when you come, I might be available to act a tour guide, but I'm planning to attend the Manx Classic TT this year, which I think coincides with your visit.

Oh!  With regard to kayaking and whale watching, I have friends that are involved in guiding both.  So, if you are interested, I'd be happy to help get you connected with the right folks.

Have fun planning your trip!

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here