Author Topic: loop frame: correct rear dampener installation  (Read 272 times)

Offline DodgeBoy

• New Egg
loop frame: correct rear dampener installation
« on: March 14, 2024, 09:20:13 AM »
Hi again everyone.

I did some work on my 72 Eldo these days. When I get to the rear dampeners I found that the washers (inner and outer) on the bottom and top of the dampeners are clearly self made and exactly the dame from dimensions... so the previous owner tinkered around with that too. That was reason enough for me to check these parts with the Eldo parts catalogue to which I found out that the inner and outer washers are two different parts numbers originally.

The inner washer are 95 00 42 15 and the outer ones 95 10 03 37. That to me means that these should be different somehow - probably from their inner diameter...?

What I have now are (like I allready mentioned) all the same washers. That causes that the outer washer can slip over the thread onto the mounting pin. So when I tighten down the nut it will compress the rubber washer i.e. the damperner ends will get tighened down on the pin without any free play.

My question is if thats intended or if there should be some axial play? When I use a regular washer for the outer end it will stop at the end of the thread and the dampener ends will end up with about 1/16" axial play.

I am just unsure what is correct here - no play and tighened down (with some free movement within the rubber bushing itself) or with that 1/16" axial play maybe causing rattling or more wear to the bushings.
1972 Moto Guzzi 850 Eldorado Police

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
Re: loop frame: correct rear dampener installation
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2024, 12:10:58 PM »
The inner washer has a larger hole that clears the mount stud while the outer washer has a smaller hole so it stops on the step and won’t compress the rubber. Both easily sourced at a hardware store.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline DodgeBoy

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2024, 02:04:05 PM »
The inner washer has a larger hole that clears the mount stud while the outer washer has a smaller hole so it stops on the step and won’t compress the rubber. Both easily sourced at a hardware store.

Thanks, that answers the "how is should be" question. So an axial play about 1/16" is intended? Or might the self made inner washer be a bit too thin?

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2024, 03:37:32 PM »
What is "correct" depends on what shocks/dampers you have.
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2024, 03:37:32 PM »

Offline DodgeBoy

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2024, 04:31:43 PM »
What is "correct" depends on what shocks/dampers you have.

It has KONI 7610's installed right now.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here