Author Topic: CalVin vs. EV  (Read 17612 times)

89-300ce

CalVin vs. EV
« on: June 02, 2015, 08:08:51 AM »
  I find myself drawn toward a California. Currently gave a Goldwing and a VFR and would like to split the difference with something comfortable for 2-up and still able to handle. I understand that the CalVin's have "Breva 1100 internals"? What specifically does this entail and is it viewed as a net positive? Does this effect the character of the engine?

I live in the Canadian MidWest and have not so much as heard a Guzzi "live" so a purchase will involve travel and a fair bit of faith.

Jorg

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: CalVin vs. EV
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 08:16:35 AM »
Cal Vin engine is a net positive.

Only downer, for me, on a Cal Vin is the tube-type wheels.  However, EV tubeless wheels can be retrofitted.

Good, solid bikes.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 08:17:43 AM »
It basically means the Cal-Vin makes a tad more power.

They run a slightly newer design camshaft, piston, valve train and I believe dual plug heads.

I suspect it is net positive, though I never had a single complaint with how my older California Jackal (with an even more basic EFI system) ran.

I bet most people around here are going to say it doesn't really matter, and buy the one you like more.

The EV may had tubeless wheels, the Cal-Vin won't.

Me, I'd still probably lean towards the Cal-Vin --- I just think they look better than the EV and I loved my B11 so any minor similarities in engine character would be welcome.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

89-300ce

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 09:57:46 AM »
  Are passenger accommodations similar? The Cal-Vin seat looks shorter front to back and doesn't have the back rest. The wife likes the Goldwing and despises the VFR.

From scouring every California video on YouTube it sounds like the EV's (other than hydro's) have significantly more tappet noise than the Vintage. Does this seem correct and if so  is it a result of the different valve train?

Jorg

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 09:57:46 AM »

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 10:09:42 AM »
The Cal-Vin has a better factory seat.  IMHO.

But honestly, if you're planning on a lot of miles, and keeping a passenger happy, you'll probably want something from Corbin or Russell, or one of the other seat makers.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

89-300ce

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 02:02:54 PM »
  I haven't decided yet but for the EV's I was thinking 03-04 for the hydraulic valves. I would hope all issues associated with the lifters would have been resolved at this time.

Jorg

Offline steveford

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2014 California Touring!!! I love this BIKE!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 05:24:58 PM »
I've got two EV's with over 150000 between and I love these bikes. All I can say is to go check out and ride the 1400 Touring. A much better motorcycle, although heavier hands down.
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :grin: :grin: :grin: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Keeping the Guzzi Passion Alive
Steve Ford
Vancouver Wa.

100,000+ mile 2001 EV http://wildguzzi.com/Rallies/Photos/AZ/1.jpg
77,000+mile 2014 1400 Touring
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ClnTFjmDyPMS2RBB3

89-300ce

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 06:03:16 PM »
I've got two EV's with over 150000 between and I love these bikes. All I can say is to go check out and ride the 1400 Touring. A much better motorcycle, although heavier hands down.
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :grin: :grin: :grin: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

One of the reasons I'm looking at the 1100's is their weight.

Offline lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 06:27:08 PM »
as far as 2-up touring goes, I have it on great authority from a number of pillions that the calvin is extremely comfortable for the passenger..

great bike, really really great tourer. unless you want to ride the snot out of it (ie using all the rev range)  in which case the stock fueling and ignition let it down severely in my opinion.

But if you do end up with one and feel the same way just PM me and I'll send you a much better map (about two years of tweaking!)

The only time I rode a sorted hydro EV it ran strong and smooth and felt like it fueled better, apart from that there wasn't much difference from the calvin..

and yes the 1400 has a beautiful motor, but ergonomically I find it pretty questionable..

Hope this helps

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 07:16:41 PM »
The '02 EV's are just about bullet proof.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 07:20:03 PM »

I live in the Canadian MidWest and have not so much as heard a Guzzi "live" so a purchase will involve travel and a fair bit of faith.

Jorg

how far is that from Minneapolis?
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/mcy/5054042461.html
I don't know owner or bike. looks like the seat is redone or aftermarket.

then this, I don't know it either,
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/mcy/5007853468.html
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

89-300ce

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 08:41:12 PM »
how far is that from Minneapolis?
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/mcy/5054042461.html
I don't know owner or bike. looks like the seat is redone or aftermarket.

then this, I don't know it either,
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/mcy/5007853468.html

I'm in Winnipeg so that's 8hrs each way.

http://www.themotocycleshop.com/moto_guzzi/mg_used/1998_California_V11_EV/1998_California_V11_EV.htm

This one is from a dealer in S. Dakota, about 5hrs. each way.

I guess I like the looks of the EV 03-04 Touring the best. That fairing is funky but it grows on me.

Jorg

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 09:05:51 PM »
well if theres anything I can do for you in Mpls let me know.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 09:35:54 PM »
I've done a great deal of touring on my Vintage...it's wonderful. I've never ridden an EV, but my Calvin pulls well at lowish RPMs...a trait that older Guzzis are reputedly a bit short on. It required some personalization, but mine is a slick-handling mile muncher. It's pretty light (within it's genre) and the brakes are first-rate. I consider it the best bike I've owned in 45 years of riding. Highly recommended...here's mine:

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Mike E

• New Egg
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 10:49:17 PM »
Here's one in Duluth. No connection to me. Just passing it on.

http://duluth.craigslist.org/mcy/4985995007.html

Mike E.
Lisle IL.

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 06:32:20 AM »
I have never had a guzzi with 2 valve heads that pulled as well down low as my CalVin. The motor, which has long stroke and long rods, is super sweet... Now the California 1400 was a different story, but the CalVin motor is certainly the best 2 valver I ever rode. Most 2V guzzis like to run at 3500. The CalVin is happy all the way down to 2000, which is good because it is geared stupid tall.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 09:35:50 AM by mtiberio »
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

89-300ce

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 08:05:23 AM »
I've done a great deal of touring on my Vintage...it's wonderful. I've never ridden an EV, but my Calvin pulls well at lowish RPMs...a trait that older Guzzis are reputedly a bit short on. It required some personalization, but mine is a slick-handling mile muncher. It's pretty light (within it's genre) and the brakes are first-rate. I consider it the best bike I've owned in 45 years of riding. Highly recommended...here's mine:

High praise indeed. As someone who also has four+ decades of riding I can appreciate and value your opinion.

Jorg
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 08:09:25 AM by 89-300ce »

89-300ce

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 08:13:49 AM »
Here's one in Duluth. No connection to me. Just passing it on.

http://duluth.craigslist.org/mcy/4985995007.html

Mike E.
Lisle IL.

That's a nice bike. Thanks.

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 09:02:21 AM »
Can't comment on the choice of bike, never having ridden either, but I will say that choosing a dealer based on being three hours closer is not a very strong reason unless you plan on having that dealer do all your wrenching. These guys on this forum have a ton of background and may know a better spot to look for the perfect machine for you...
My dealer is 2700 km south (Valley Moto, Chilliwack) and I still get great service every time I call.
Enjoy whichever machine you buy.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

89-300ce

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2015, 11:13:40 AM »

Can't comment on the choice of bike, never having ridden either, but I will say that choosing a dealer based on being three hours closer is not a very strong reason unless you plan on having that dealer do all your wrenching. These guys on this forum have a ton of background and may know a better spot to look for the perfect machine for you...
My dealer is 2700 km south (Valley Moto, Chilliwack) and I still get great service every time I call.
Enjoy whichever machine you buy.
I do all my own wrenching (which is another reason why the 1400 is out of my league) so the distance to the bikes is only relevant for the purchase. Since it will definitely  be a two up machine even a 5hrs. trip to test the bike will be a weekend commitment for the two of us, and since we are cottagers most of our weekends are already spent at the lake.

We have some time off in Aug. and I may convince the wife to take a road trip with the wing to view/test out some bikes. I could plan a nice road trip around Duluth and Lake Superior but I doubt that Cal-Vin  would still be available then. There just don't seem to be any Guzzi around  locally which if I had to be honest is also part of the appeal.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2015, 04:13:10 PM »
Why would maintenance on a Cal-Vin be within your skill level, but the maintenance on the easier to service Cali1400 (no throttle body synchronization and fewer replaceable sensors) be out of your capability?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 05:31:29 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2015, 05:14:13 PM »
The calvin is basically an EV made larger.  There are little detail differences, but in my opinion if you are comfortable working on one, you'll feel equally warm and fuzzy about the other.

89-300ce

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2015, 07:28:19 PM »
Why would maintenance on a Cal-Vin be within your skill level, but the maintenance on the easier to service Cali1400 (no throttle body synchronization and fewer replaceable sensors) be out of your capability?

Maintenance would pose no problems. Problems with throttle by wire, traction control, abs., might be out of my comfort zone to diagnose and resolve. I prefer carbs to efi but accept efi for the benefits it provides. I can see the benefits of the additional systems on the 1400 but would prefer to do without the complexity. Then there is the issue of weight.

In 40+ years of riding I've never been to a dealer for anything other than parts.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2015, 08:40:36 PM »
  Maintenance would pose no problems. Problems with throttle by wire, traction control, abs., might be out of my comfort zone to diagnose and resolve. I prefer carbs to efi but accept efi for the benefits it provides. I can see the benefits of the additional systems on the 1400 but would prefer to do without the complexity. Then there is the issue of weight.

In 40+ years of riding I've never been to a dealer for anything other than parts.

I hear ya... But my point is you've already crossed the line on EFI with the EV or Cal-Vin. And honestly there's nothing about the Cal 1400 that is any more complicated to troubleshoot... You can use GuzziDiag for either bike.

I'm NOT telling you to get a 1400 over the 1100, they're not the same bike.

I'm just saying not to eliminate the 1400 from consideration based only on your ability to fix either, because there's not much of a difference in reality.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2015, 06:53:03 AM »
I think you get a small subset of guzzidiag functions that work on a cal14. not the whole suite...
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2015, 06:58:43 AM »
I think you get a small subset of guzzidiag functions that work on a cal14. not the whole suite...

What will one need for diagnosis and repairs that you don't get?

I'm not talking remapping... I'm talking about keeping it running.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2015, 02:31:44 PM »
To all those who are yet to reach 65yo or older, the weight of your MC, especially when riding 2up, becomes a major factor on what rig you are going to keep riding on.   Us older riders no longer have the muscle strength we used to have like you probably still have.  :smiley:

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2015, 03:01:44 PM »
To all those who are yet to reach 65yo or older, the weight of your MC, especially when riding 2up, becomes a major factor on what rig you are going to keep riding on.   Us older riders no longer have the muscle strength we used to have like you probably still have.  :smiley:

A good reason to keep my EV.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline Carlo DeSantis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2015, 03:43:28 PM »

And that's the reason I no longer own my EV :(

Best,

Carlo
Chuck in Illinois
Crystal Lake, IL USA

'75 850 T3 Custom
'11 R1200R

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2015, 03:48:22 PM »
 . . .and a reason I'm building a trike.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here