Author Topic: V7 Special won't start - neutral not indicating  (Read 2580 times)

Offline Rasta Ronny

• New Egg
Re: V7 Special won't start - neutral not indicating
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2021, 03:31:36 PM »
A little more information.  I found the pull-up resistor.  It's under the tank and sits below the relays.  I checked the Ohms on the orange/green wire from Fuse E to 21 (pull-up resistor) and get 1.4.  I then checked the white/brown wire from 21 to 7 (clutch switch) and get 1.4.  Finally, I checked the blue/green wire from the clutch switch to the side-stand switch.  I couldn't find the connector with the other end of the blue-green wire so, I opened up the switch and touched the copper contact point.  I got 9.1 Ohms on that wire.  Perhaps its higher due to the resistance of not checking just the wire end to end.  What would you check next?

Offline Rasta Ronny

• New Egg
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2021, 04:26:48 PM »
After messing around a little more, I was moving around the wire to the pop-up resistor and the light went out.  What a thrill!  I had found a short.  I kept moving the wire around and couldn't get the light to come back on.  So, I'm putting it back together and will take it out for a ride, sticking close to home.  Thank you so much for your help and patience with me.  I'm thrilled to be able to ride again and learned a lot about dealing with electrical and about the bike through this process.  I'm a little nervous to get stuck somewhere due to a short but, can't take having 60-70 degree days any longer without being on the bike.   :bow: :smiley: :bow:

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2021, 12:37:39 AM »
After messing around a little more, I was moving around the wire to the pop-up resistor and the light went out.  What a thrill!  I had found a short.  I kept moving the wire around and couldn't get the light to come back on.  So, I'm putting it back together and will take it out for a ride, sticking close to home.  Thank you so much for your help and patience with me.  I'm thrilled to be able to ride again and learned a lot about dealing with electrical and about the bike through this process.  I'm a little nervous to get stuck somewhere due to a short but, can't take having 60-70 degree days any longer without being on the bike.   :bow: :smiley: :bow:
Congratulations, you have fixed it even if you don't know what you fixed, what's your opinion of the light bulb method now?
I was an electrician/Instrument tech for 60 years, sometimes the simple lamps are better than an expensive multimeter. When I was an apprentice we had a 100 Watt 230 Volt lamp wired in series with a pair of probes on the bench for testing, gave you a nasty jolt if you weren't careful, I can't imagine being allowed to do that these days.

When you measured 1.4 in your previous post that was 1.4K Ohms surely?, 1.4 Ohms would give you 8.5 Amps at 12 Volts, or perhaps that's what blew the 5 Amp fuse, at least if it occurs again you know where to start looking.

Congratulations on your perseverance, your Electricians ticket is in the mail.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 12:51:10 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Rasta Ronny

• New Egg
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2021, 12:39:53 PM »
I think the light bulb instead of a fuse works great.  I was a little nervous to do any damage to the ECU but, figured I'd trust you to not lead me astray.  It's great to have instant input into finding a short.  I saw some things like a Power Probe tester at Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P6UO2I/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=scottykilmerc-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B000P6UO2I&linkId=f654e37309601009683bbd327503655e but, wasn't sure how easy it would be to use with the wires in such tight spaces and bunched together.  The light bulb worked and I had what I needed lying around the garage.  I'll definitely use that method again in the future.  One of my sons also saw what I was doing and will have it in his bag for future use as well.  As far as the Ohms I was reading, I am not sure.  I was using a cheap Harbor Freight Digital Multimeter.  I had set it to the lowest setting, which in this case was 200.  It displayed 1.4.  I thought it was the actual number but, have no idea.  Thank you to everyone for your help.  I couldn't have done it without your suggestions and patience in answering my questions. 

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2021, 12:39:53 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2021, 12:42:17 PM »
 WG at its best , we all share in your joy .

Dusty

Offline Rasta Ronny

• New Egg
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2023, 10:00:58 PM »
To all:  I thought I would continue my story.  Well, I rode since I last posted up until a warmer day in January of 2023.  On the way home from work, the engine cut out.  Fortunately I was less than 2 miles from home.  After more of a workout than I expected pushing my bike home, I found that fuse E had blown again.  I figured I would use the light bulb method I learned here, move around the pop-up resistor and be back in business.  I thought I might even find the short using this method.  Well, after many attempts to get the light to go off and/or to find the short, I didn't have any success.  I did get a better idea of where different parts are on my bike.  But, wasn't able to fix it.  I swapped out one relay for another thinking that it could be a bad relay.  Doing that didn't change anything.  Finally, I gave in and took it to a local mechanic.  I'd seen a Guzzi in front of his shop before when driving by.  Well, today he let me know he hasn't found the problem but, thinks it's a resistance issue.  He put a 20 amp fuse in and said it took 3 seconds to blow vs. the 5 amp fuse blowing immediately.  Does that sound logical to you guys?  He asked me to find out what else is on the neutral sensor circuit.  From the wiring diagram, it looks like the Clutch switch, Side-stand switch and possibly the right light switch.  Can anyone verify that for me?  He also said he'd need a shop manual to figure out where things are on the bike.  He hasn't instilled a lot of confidence in me.  I thought I would come back to this great group for some advice.  I cut and pasted a section about the Neutral Sensor switch from a shop manual to give him a couple of things to check.  My next step would be to get it to a dealer.  But, I'm not as close to one as I'd like to be in the Philly suburbs.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions for what could be causing the issue.   The shop manual also said it could be the instrument panel.  Thanks in advance for your help! 

Offline Rasta Ronny

• New Egg
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2023, 10:36:01 PM »
One more question or thought.  Do the pop-up resistors ever go bad?  Could that be the issue?  Thanks!

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here