Author Topic: Bikes Direct, Bikes Island, LBS?  (Read 3115 times)

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
Bikes Direct, Bikes Island, LBS?
« on: August 07, 2018, 12:10:33 PM »
I need someone's experience and knowledge

I have been thinking of getting back into riding a bicycle.  I have an old huffy 10 speed that never worked all that well, and it needs tires and some work to be ridable.

I think at this point, something along the line of a Diamondback Haanjo, or Gravity liberty CX bike.  no suspension, wider tires, light and better quality than big box stores.

I don't have enough knowledge to know if one component is better than another in the specs.

Bikes Direct seem to have really good prices, Bikes island seems to sell only blemished and return bikes and parts.  I have noticed several deals on Diamonback bikes from time to time, so I am in no big rush.  I did find a Gravity Swift 21 in Craigs list for 200 but I just don't know enough about all the brands to know if its good or I am buying a pile of trouble.

brands or sites I can go to, or should be looking at in 3-400 range.

mostly will be asphalt, concrete, some gravel roads, a dirt path around a lake, no more than 10-15 miles a day if that, pushing 62.  Looking to use mostly for exercise and change from my daily speeding every morning. 

Old Head
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 04:47:14 PM by old head »
06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Bikes Direct, Bikes Island, LBS?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 12:25:00 PM »
Get a 29'r hardtail w/decent forks and disc brakes.  You can get wider tires for 29'r wheelsets.  I have 29+ on my Vasaggo and Carver,  but I wouldn't wear the tires out on pavement if I didn't have to.   You can never go wrong with a set of forks.  It takes the edge off when you hit a nice gravel road downhill that has a washboard surface.

I'm going to try and remember the last bike I had heard about and was impressed by the components and price..   It was $500 with excellent spec.

It looks as though most manufacturers have a decent bike in that $500 and slightly below price point.  Trek, Giant, DB, Specialized...
If you go through a LBS,  you normally get a "tune up" or two thrown in.
And 62's nothing..  We ride with a guy in his late 60's that has a bike for every situation!  Cross bike, hardtail, hybrid, single speed.....  If you start getting into it,  the LBS is your friend!!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 12:33:30 PM by rdbandkab »

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 01:29:23 PM »
I rode my son's fat tire high end component bike all over St.John's Newfoundland including serious hills  and it was the most comfortable fun ride ever.

Offline screamday

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 01:45:52 PM »
Bike Nashbar has their own brand in just about all styles.....pretty good prices too. If your trying to get back in to bicycling, I wouldn't get too focused on individual components. Just get you a comfortable bike and ride.

https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling
Tony in SC
"Comfort the disturbed and Disturb the comfortable"
1988 R100RS
1998 V11 EV

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 01:45:52 PM »

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 02:33:02 PM »
If you can find one, a bike with a chrome-moly frame will last a long time and provide a superior ride. If you weigh more than 225 lbs, you should choose a bike with tires at least 32mm (1 1/4�) wide. Any less and your wheels could fail prematurely. Take care to figure out the proper size for your bike�s frame. A bad fit will result in discomfort that is difficult or even impossible to correct. Shimano makes great driveline and brake components. I�ve always found that a well broken-in Brooks B17 saddle to be bicycling�s most comfortable place to sit.

If you�re really serious about cycling, consider doubling your budget and shop around for a leftover from a previous model year. I got my Surly Pacer, a bike with a retail price of $1850 in 2013 for $900 in 2014. The increased quality will allow you to stay interested in your bike a great deal longer before you are compelled to upgrade.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 02:47:44 PM by Sheepdog »
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 03:44:06 PM »
Take care to figure out the proper size for your bike�s frame. A bad fit will result in discomfort that is difficult or even impossible to correct. 
what he said, frame size determines comfort.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline unclepete

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 04:33:03 PM »
Go to a bicycle shop to buy your bike . They will make sure your new bike will fit your needs , size and finances .

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 06:14:29 PM »
A local bike shop is your best bet for a reintroduction to bicycling if you're going to buy new.  Sizes across manufacturer's aren't standardized.  My 54cm frame Cannondale CAAD8 doesn't fit me the same as a Specialized Allez with a 54cm frame.  Geometry plays too large a role in fit to try one bike and assume another brand fits the same.  You have to actually ride them.  That's why a local bike shop is your best bet. 

It sounds like a "fitness" bike is a good choice for you.  They look like a mountain bike with skinnier tires.  They have relaxed, comfortable ergonomics.  The tires are halfway between a road bike and 2" wide mtn bike tires so they're good for reclaimed railroad beds and decent gravel roads but they're not up to par for mud or single track like mountain bike tires.  They're usually much cheaper than a 29er mountain bike or decent road bike.   

I think you should rethink your position on front suspension.  Aluminum bikes are horrible compared to chro-moly when it comes to vibration dampening.  I have a carbon fork, carbon handlebars and big rubber grips and I still can't stand my Cannondale for more than 20 miles. 

Bicycles, like everything else, are subject to fashion and fads.  That means there are a ton of used 26" mountain bikes out there for cheap money because they've been replaced by 29er's.  Just be aware that there are also a ton of crackheads who've stolen someone's bike to feed their habit.  Craigslist is a great place to find a secondhand mountain bike(or fitness bike) but be very, very careful who you buy from.   I have a friend who bought a bike from CL and was then confronted by the owner the bike was stolen from.  My friend ended up without a bike and the police did nothing.  He never got his $400 back.  Again, local bike shop is your best bet.  Many take trade-ins.     

Jimy

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 06:06:31 AM »
Good advice above.  A bike shop is really your best bet to find something that fits you and your needs.  Other than the rigid fat bike (really a 29plus - not quite a fat bike) I got several years ago I have always bought from my LBS.  I got that from BikesDirect and did work out really well for me (0 problems after 30 hours of very rocky/rooty trails).  If you do go mail order you will likely need (or at least greatly benefit) from a setup/tuning from a bike shop.  Best to arrange for that before buying the bike - some bike shops wouldn't be all that excited to do it - they struggle with internet competition just like the motorcycle shops.  But they probably make more money on service than new sales so likely not a problem for many.

Two thoughts -

1 - One of the new things these days is a "gravel bike".  It looks like a drop bar road bike, but it is set up to travel on rough roads etc.  Might be an option - I don't know a lot about them but have heard good things.  Some seem to come with new/odd comfort features like a seat post with built in flex and a bit of "suspension" built in to the handlebar to fork connection. 

2 - If you don't need a huge range of gears consider a single chain ring on the front.  Simpler, easier to tune and I find it more reliable.  These days that will leave you with 10,11, or 12 gear choices.  For my mountain bike that works out great - all I might miss is a little speed down a big hill to the trails...

3 - Surly (mentioned above) is perhaps the "Guzzi" of bicycles.  My wife likes her Surly Long Hall Trucker.

Jim

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 12:57:24 PM »
Good advice above.  A bike shop is really your best bet to find something that fits you and your needs.  Other than the rigid fat bike (really a 29plus - not quite a fat bike) I got several years ago I have always bought from my LBS.  I got that from BikesDirect and did work out really well for me (0 problems after 30 hours of very rocky/rooty trails).  If you do go mail order you will likely need (or at least greatly benefit) from a setup/tuning from a bike shop.  Best to arrange for that before buying the bike - some bike shops wouldn't be all that excited to do it - they struggle with internet competition just like the motorcycle shops.  But they probably make more money on service than new sales so likely not a problem for many.

Two thoughts -

1 - One of the new things these days is a "gravel bike".  It looks like a drop bar road bike, but it is set up to travel on rough roads etc.  Might be an option - I don't know a lot about them but have heard good things.  Some seem to come with new/odd comfort features like a seat post with built in flex and a bit of "suspension" built in to the handlebar to fork connection. 

2 - If you don't need a huge range of gears consider a single chain ring on the front.  Simpler, easier to tune and I find it more reliable.  These days that will leave you with 10,11, or 12 gear choices.  For my mountain bike that works out great - all I might miss is a little speed down a big hill to the trails...

3 - Surly (mentioned above) is perhaps the "Guzzi" of bicycles.  My wife likes her Surly Long Hall Trucker.

Jim

Surly makes great bikes and they're one of the last that use steel frames.  They're heavy but ride great.  However, something like a Long Haul Trucker is about 3 times the OP's budget. 

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 05:48:34 PM »
Below is my ‘13 Surly Pacer. I have it set up for centuries and randonneuring (things I haven’t done since my knee replacement). It sports a cro-mo Steel frame, 1 1/4” wide (touring) tires, a Brooks B17 saddle, a Carradice seat bag, and a Salsa stem and 46cm handlebar (for more leverage when climbing and accelerating and to open up my breathing a bit). This is the most comfortable bike I’ve ever owned and at 62, I can still average 16-17mph over twenty miles on it. My ‘02 Trek 1200 is faster, but with its painfully stiff aluminum frame and narrow tires is not nearly as comfy (despite identical ergonomics). When it comes to frames, the only material that can match steel is carbon fiber. We won’t even discuss cost as CF doesn’t come cheap. Steel is real...

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 06:04:21 PM »
My Mercian is set up sort of that way-I may do something like that with my Serrotta.

I think tires make the biggest difference in ride, followed by fork material. My Ti Serotta was a nicer ride than the steel Mercian with similar wheels and tires (CF fork) but with the 28mm Conti GP 4 Seasons the MErcian is luxurious.

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 06:52:54 AM »
Didn't know the metal made a difference in ride quality.  I thought the frame choice was all about weight..
I will look at metal framed bikes, weight probably isn't an issue since I  won't be riding up hills or have to pack the bike up steps.  I don't want to ride a cast iron bike, but lightest weight isn't the biggest concern for me.

Gravel bikes is really what I think I want, wider tires for where I will ride.  Not sure that I really disc brakes or carbon fork.

Old Head
06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 10:14:28 AM »
You want disc brakes.   (for that time you're riding in the rain and a car/dog/small child/Guzzi pulls out in front of you.)   Disc brakes stop you no questions.   

*I have a titanium framed Carver Gnarvester...  Light, strong, smooth and beautiful...  I have it set up as a belt-drive single speed. 

« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 12:50:13 PM by rdbandkab »

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 11:53:50 AM »
Didn't know the metal made a difference in ride quality.  I thought the frame choice was all about weight..
I will look at metal framed bikes, weight probably isn't an issue since I  won't be riding up hills or have to pack the bike up steps.  I don't want to ride a cast iron bike, but lightest weight isn't the biggest concern for me.

Gravel bikes is really what I think I want, wider tires for where I will ride.  Not sure that I really disc brakes or carbon fork.

Old Head

Disc brakes aren't any more complex than cantilever brakes and they're much better in the rain.  Chro-moly vs. aluminum makes a huge difference in ride quality.  Tires do as well which is why you're better off with a fitness or mountain bike at your price point and use.  Their tires have a lot more tread. which reduces vibration.  The thing that blew my mind when I got back in biking was what the new bikes weigh.  In the 80's and early 90's when I was doing time trials a decent, competitive bike weighed about 23lbs in my frame size.  My CAAD8, which is a decade old design and has been superceded multiple times(and was never a top of the line bike) weighs 19lbs.  A Specialized Tarmac weighs 14lbs.  That boggles my mind.  I rode one around a parking lot and it was like the thing was alive.

A Giant Escape leftover is in your price range.  Specialized Sirrus or Kona Dew are also within your range and are great choices for cruising.   

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2018, 12:46:10 PM »
Heck....Even the disc brakes come in two flavors. Hydraulic and cable.   
We ride all through winter...and thank goodness for disc brakes!   We used to have to hold the brakes on for a few seconds before the ice would melt off the rims.  Then we would have to change rims after a season or two because we would eventually wear through the braking surface.   Ah the good ole days.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2018, 03:08:21 PM »
I’ve never ridden disc brakes on a bike (I keep my bikes a long time). Seems like a good component to me. Some folks made a fuss about brake drag, but I think it’s a non-issue. There were times when descending in the Rockies that I thought my tires would blow off the rim for the heat my caliper brakes inflicted on the rims. Disc brakes would have been better...

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2018, 06:33:10 PM »
Disc brakes work great, and allow a lot of braking on steep descents but as for panic stops..ain't going to be what saves you.

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
Re: UpDated Bikes Direct, Bikes Island, LBS?
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2022, 04:46:30 PM »
Well, I thought it was time for an update on what  the last year of riding my Bikesdirect gravel has been like.
I ride about 20-25 miles a week, pretty consistently, unless its raining. don't ride in the rain.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/gravel-bikes/gravel-v-vbrake-gravel-bikes.htm

first, nothing has broke, no issues with the bike as delivered.  Took about 20 minutes to unbox and maybe another 15-20 to set up and adjust the brakes.  Only needed a slight adjustment for the detailer.  All in all I would definitely buy again if I were in the market for another bike.
Time will tell, but for the way I ride and where I ride, it was a good choice for me.  Wider tires ride much better than the those narrow rode bike tires.
I did have to take some slop out of the front wheel bearing a while back, but it seems to be fine now.
fit and finish from my point of view is pretty good.
It is lighter than I thought it would be, easy for me to handle.

I have changed the seat, handlebars, taller stem, all the the cables due to handle bar change.
I prefer the flat handle bar rather than the curved road handle bar supplied, that bending over is not good for me.
  No flats, and the tires are holding up well.
Not crazy about the handle bar stem system, but I guess its the way it is now a days.
Pedals seem a little small for my size 12, wide feet, so that will probably be my next upgrade.

I used their guide as to bike frame and it seems to be the correct height.  At my age, I probably should have gotten a lower top bar so I wouldn't' have to lift my leg so high, but once I get on its not an issue.

As it is coming up on time to clean the chain and relube, I have been looking at wax and telfon.  Still haven't decided as of yet, but seems like the thing to do considering I don't ride in rain or dusty conditions.

Old Head
06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Offline adaven

• 2024 Board Donor
  • Hatchling
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2022, 06:20:31 PM »
Sounds like you made a good choice.
I use "Grip-King" flat pedals on my Surly Cross Check. They are wide (I am 4E) , light and strong. EZ-on, EZ-off. A little pricey but not too bad. They were designed by Rivendell Bikes. They design a lot of user friendly cycling supplies. Their bikes are very pricy,  so I'm sure you won't be interested in them. They are too retro for the modern cyclist, but for a Guzzi owner, their stuff is worth a look.
Their website has lots of interesting (and opinionated) articles with information that you won't find elsewhere.
Sold on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Mks-Lambda-Pedals-16-Silver/dp/B001GSQVEE
Rivendell also has a cheaper option for flat pedals on their website if you get interested enough. IMO virtually anything they recommend is well thought out and a solid buy.

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2022, 06:49:02 PM »

Got tired of the sore butt, hands or legs that go with any conventional geometry bicycle. So I built the orange one about 1985 (copied the Avatar 2000). Once my quads got used to the different ergonomics i was hard to catch (that was age 40). Still riding it today (Age 77).

The black Easy Racer was my Wife's machine. She hated it and it was sold after one year. It was an aluminum frame and offered a comfortable ride (because of the seating and geometry). She likes her fencepost upright, step through Townie. Always has something to say about the seat though.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2022, 10:54:47 AM »
I always wanted to try one of those recumbents, thought they would an awesome ride.
I have never seen one in person, I don't have those skills to build one and they are expensive retail.
I don't understand why they would so much more expensive especially if some company would do them like they do the regular bikes.
Oh well.
06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here