Author Topic: Anyone seen this new retro HD?!?  (Read 9515 times)

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
Re: Anyone seen this new retro HD?!?
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2021, 07:58:45 AM »
I saw the original back in the sixties. Wasn't impressed then either.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2021, 08:02:23 AM »
I saw the original back in the sixties. Wasn't impressed then either.

C'mon now!! :wink:  1969 HD Electra Glide - An American Classic!! :thumb: :boozing: :cool: :smiley: :smiley:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2021, 08:46:50 AM »
Always loved the ElectraGlide and DuoGlide as a kid.  I'm a big fan of this bike looks wise.  For my 30K it would need a kick start, too.
I'll be shocked if this is not an addition to the lineup as a regular option in a year or two.  My understanding is that they are unobtanium.
Looks are part of the appeal in motorcycling for a LOT of riders.  There is zero issue with that.  The day folks tell other folks what to do with their money is a very sad day indeed.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2021, 11:08:37 AM »
Like most dealers of all brands, they had only a few bikes, none of which were that model.

In the past, I have managed to be invisible in a Harley store.  My thinking was in these changed times and with HD sales down (pre -) that things might have changed, well-------------

As before, I felt like Harry Potter wearing his invisibility cloak in there.  Wandered through completely unmolested.  Although I don't look like a Harley Guy, I have owned 2 of them, both bought new.  But, both bought from dealers that were a little out of town of the major cities I lived in when I bought those two bikes.  Seems those dealers thought I looked like Harley material.

Rant over.
Harley sales are up considerably during -.  Some of this is the deliberate reduced inventory plans of the new CEO.  But stock is thin and the one HD sales guy I know said it's the best he's seen in years.  Go figure.  I do know that used Harley prices are through the roof.  Just before the - shutdown started, the sweet spot on pricing for a used Harley Touring bike with low miles was if the price equaled the year.  ie: 2018 Electra Glide for $18,000, 2020 for $20,000 etc.  That's all gone.  Now prices on used Full Dressers have jumped way above that by three or four thousand dollars!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2021, 11:08:37 AM »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2021, 05:29:02 PM »
The "Revival" looks so good to me that when I had a few extra minutes yesterday, I stopped in the local HD dealership to try and see one. Like most dealers of all brands, they had only a few bikes, none of which were that model.

In the past, I have managed to be invisible in a Harley store.  My thinking was in these changed times and with HD sales down (pre -) that things might have changed, well-------------

As before, I felt like Harry Potter wearing his invisibility cloak in there.  Wandered through completely unmolested.  Although I don't look like a Harley Guy, I have owned 2 of them, both bought new.  But, both bought from dealers that were a little out of town of the major cities I lived in when I bought those two bikes.  Seems those dealers thought I looked like Harley material.

Rant over.

So, did you sit on any bikes?

Did you walk past members of the staff and avert your eyes as you did so?

Did you say hi to anyone?  Did you stare down a salesperson, even a little bit?

Maybe they were just giving you space to decide what you wanted to do, and if you were ready for help or had questions you would engage in them. 

I personally don't like to be hounded or hovered over when I am not ready to engage.  When I am ready to engage, everyone knows it.  If I am feeling ignored I turn on the power and toot the horn and turn signals like I am just checking the bike over.  Someone usually comes at that point. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline motogoro

• Hatchling
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2021, 06:45:00 PM »
I sat on a "Revival" today.  Very similar seat height to my CalVin.  So kinda high for a Harley. 
If I was in that market I'd buy a Road King, or Street Glide, and save some cash. 

I'm a sucker for blue bikes.
Maybe, I could "save" even more cash and buy that new V7 850 instead?  ;-)
Steve M. in SE WI
WMGR 193
MGNOC L-553

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2021, 07:36:34 PM »
So, did you sit on any bikes?

Did you walk past members of the staff and avert your eyes as you did so?

Did you say hi to anyone?  Did you stare down a salesperson, even a little bit?

Maybe they were just giving you space to decide what you wanted to do, and if you were ready for help or had questions you would engage in them. 

I personally don't like to be hounded or hovered over when I am not ready to engage.  When I am ready to engage, everyone knows it.  If I am feeling ignored I turn on the power and toot the horn and turn signals like I am just checking the bike over.  Someone usually comes at that point.
Exactly TWA, good observation 😉

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2021, 11:28:03 PM »
Gotta agree.  If I need assistance I'll ask.  Until then, I'm happy if "they" leave me alone.  "Hi, how are you", that's fine.  But just that.
Getting closer to the red suspenders every day................ ................

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2021, 08:48:49 AM »
I've never found a 400 pound bike that I fit on. Heck, I have to mod my Guzzi's to fit me. 6'7" doesn't fit well on the newer Guzzi's.

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2021, 10:18:24 AM »
I've never found a 400 pound bike that I fit on. Heck, I have to mod my Guzzi's to fit me. 6'7" doesn't fit well on the newer Guzzi's.

I would have no problem having this motorcycle in my garage... :thumb: :boozing: :cool: :wink: :smiley:

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

oldbike54

« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2021, 08:23:02 PM »
 If you want me to even consider purchasing an overpriced overweight motorbike you had better damned sure smile and say HI when i come thru the door . Don't know about you , but the arrogance displayed by most HD boutiques means I would never even consider buying a bike from them .

But that's just me , kinda old fashioned that way .

Dusty

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2021, 09:40:57 PM »
If you want me to even consider purchasing an overpriced overweight motorbike you had better damned sure smile and say HI when i come thru the door . Don't know about you , but the arrogance displayed by most HD boutiques means I would never even consider buying a bike from them .

Dusty

When I lived in NORCAL (2006-2011), this was the last Harley I owned and rode - - a 2007 Road King...(and I have owned and ridden 4 Big Twin Harley's)...Say what you will, but the Road King was a good, reliable, FUN touring bike...

By the way, I was never into the arrogance or silliness displayed by any HD dealer / boutique.   For me, it was just always about the motorcycle itself... :wink:

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2021, 09:46:00 PM »
remember when you could go two up on this seat?

I bet

...............and everyone likes the chrome battery cover.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 09:48:05 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2021, 07:40:00 AM »
That's why they called it the "buddy" seat!  With the right "buddy" it could be a lot of fun. :grin: Otherwise  :shocked:

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2021, 07:41:00 AM »
remember when you could go two up on this seat?

I bet

...............and everyone likes the chrome battery cover.

At age 12, in Ridgefield, CT, my uncle's friend gave me a ride on the back of his late 60's Electra Glide just like this one....and that got the two-wheel / motorcycle juices flowing for me!! :thumb: :bow: :cool: :boozing: :smiley: :wink:
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2021, 08:53:56 AM »
There are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many motorcycles I'd love to own for a bit.  I see zero reason to exclude any due to brand, country of manufacture, apparent value, and ability to score MOTOGP points, or not.

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2021, 09:16:40 AM »
There are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many motorcycles I'd love to own for a bit.  I see zero reason to exclude any due to brand, country of manufacture, apparent value, and ability to score MOTOGP points, or not.

AMEN to that statement!! :bow: :thumb: :boozing: :cool: :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2021, 05:12:14 PM »
I saw my first at The Guzzi Doctor's open house in North Chicago last night.  Very striking bike.  The owner was in love.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 05:12:39 PM by Dave Swanson »
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2021, 06:50:46 PM »
I agree Dave it a beautiful motorcycle however like some of the other bikes they priced themselves out of the zone that I’m willing to pay for a motorcycle and it’s not because I can’t afford one.

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #109 on: May 13, 2021, 09:44:48 PM »
Needs an AMF sticker.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #110 on: May 19, 2021, 05:36:48 PM »

Dusty

Pray tell ol Dusty, when was the last time you were in a Harley dealership?  And did you walk in with a smile on your mug?  Just wondering. 

Sounds like another Triumph, BSA, "Back in the day" comment to me. 

Please don't walk into a modern Multi Japanese / Indian / BMW store.  You'll get the smile from some kid that has never ridden a motorcycle in his/her life.  They just want to collect your contact information. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

oldbike54

« Reply #111 on: May 19, 2021, 06:31:03 PM »
Pray tell ol Dusty, when was the last time you were in a Harley dealership?  And did you walk in with a smile on your mug?  Just wondering. 

Sounds like another Triumph, BSA, "Back in the day" comment to me. 

Please don't walk into a modern Multi Japanese / Indian / BMW store.  You'll get the smile from some kid that has never ridden a motorcycle in his/her life.  They just want to collect your contact information.

Was in an enormous HD dealership a couple of years ago where my nephew had been selling HD's for years . So yeah , I smiled , even wagged my tail. It was weird , I know more about Harleys than any of the salesmen , even more than my nephew who was selling over 300 units a year . In fact , the guy behind the information desk stated that one of the antiques on display was a Shovelhead , when it was really an early panhead .

Interestingly enough , I stopped in a two-fer dealership in Tulsa on the way to Cedar Vale , some lowlife snatched my helmet at a gas stop so a new one was needed . It was Yamaha/something in one building , and , are you ready , the other building contains an Indian/BMW dealer . The young men in both dealerships were very helpful , never asked for any information , and even knew what my Bassa is , something no one at the HD place knew . Shocking , isn't it ?

Dusty

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2021, 08:10:44 PM »
Was in an enormous HD dealership a couple of years ago where my nephew had been selling HD's for years . So yeah , I smiled , even wagged my tail. It was weird , I know more about Harleys than any of the salesmen , even more than my nephew who was selling over 300 units a year . In fact , the guy behind the information desk stated that one of the antiques on display was a Shovelhead , when it was really an early panhead .

Interestingly enough , I stopped in a two-fer dealership in Tulsa on the way to Cedar Vale , some lowlife snatched my helmet at a gas stop so a new one was needed . It was Yamaha/something in one building , and , are you ready , the other building contains an Indian/BMW dealer . The young men in both dealerships were very helpful , never asked for any information , and even knew what my Bassa is , something no one at the HD place knew . Shocking , isn't it ?

Dusty

So, basically we all have our own experiences and my experience at your shops might be different, as your experience at the ones near me.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

oldbike54

« Reply #113 on: May 19, 2021, 08:34:55 PM »
So, basically we all have our own experiences and my experience at your shops might be different, as your experience at the ones near me.

Never said they weren't . However , I have lived and breathed motorbikes for 55 years now , ridden with 1%er's , sportbike riders , Goldwing folks , hardcore BMW riders , a few riders so committed to Ducati they acted as though no other brand existed , same with beemer guys , ridden with Native American clubs when they were a thing , was an honorary member of the British Death Fleet in the Bay Area , hung out in the old line HD and Brit bike shops before they went all boutique . In other words , my database is fairly large . and the worst attitudes I've ever encountered were in the new HD boutiques . Hell , a buddy was traveling with me in Nebraska when we encountered a 1%er type who said the same thing . Even my nephew who sold HD's for 10 years , very successfully at that said pretty much the same thing , the salesmen didn't know squat about motorbikes , most were really car salesmen trying something different .

Dusty

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2021, 05:59:48 AM »
I like your term "boutique", those one percenters would probably object however.
Blue Guzz

oldbike54

« Reply #115 on: May 20, 2021, 08:28:18 AM »
I like your term "boutique", those one percenters would probably object however.

Most new dealers are chrome and glass places , styled like a Denny's restaurant and not a motorbike dealership .

I really should qualify some of my previous statement , there are asshats in dealerships of all brands , and good knowledgeable people also . However, the idea that HD dealers are somehow "special" , filled with well informed enthusiasts while every other brand's dealers are manned with ignorant salespeople is simply not true . Heck , the two best parts persons I have ever encountered were ladies , one in the old Atlas Motorcycle Sales in Tulsa , a multiline BMW/Guzzi/Ducati/Triumph/MZ shop , and the other at Bentonville AR BMW . Sadly both shops are gone . Atlas had parts for motorbikes 30 and more years older in stock , something most modern dealers would find strange .

Dusty

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #116 on: May 20, 2021, 09:05:27 AM »
I really should qualify some of my previous statement , there are asshats in dealerships of all brands , and good knowledgeable people also . However, the idea that HD dealers are somehow "special" , filled with well informed enthusiasts while every other brand's dealers are manned with ignorant salespeople is simply not true .

I'm sorry, but who is/was putting forth that idea?!?

Like you said, there are morons in all levels and brands of dealers.

If anything I think GENERALLY (and it's a huge generalization but likely has some truth) the more successful the dealership (the larger it is in size and sales volume) the higher the likelihood that they will have one or more asshats just because of size/volume/turnover/need etc. It's a business PERIOD. The smaller the dealer/shop, the more likely it will have enthusiasts simply because of that difference in size/volume. There's a reason it exists that is slightly different to the mega-mall dealer.

And if you look at the unprecedented growth of Harley through the 90's and half the 00's, you can see why there was a trend toward the former (and probably still a lot of holdouts). Sadly that drove many of the latter out of business or forced them to grow in ways that wouldn't be all positive.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #117 on: May 20, 2021, 10:05:49 AM »
In 2016 we stopped at the Ft Collins Guzzi dealer for service on our way to MoCan.The service people were very friendly and competent.I went into the sales dept.and looked at the new bikes for a while.It was me and 2 executives and I guess they  had more important matters to discuss than try to sell me something.

oldbike54

« Reply #118 on: May 20, 2021, 10:14:04 AM »
In 2016 we stopped at the Ft Collins Guzzi dealer for service on our way to MoCan.The service people were very friendly and competent.I went into the sales dept.and looked at the new bikes for a while.It was me and 2 executives and I guess they  had more important matters to discuss than try to sell me something.

A Guzzi dealer with sales people ? Are you sure Tom ? :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #119 on: May 20, 2021, 10:42:23 AM »
They seemed like managers or bosses of some sort,I guess The weren’t salesmen and the salesman was off that day or something so they didn’t want to do his job.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here