Author Topic: Four years with my Roamer  (Read 846 times)

Offline Roamer853

• New Egg
Four years with my Roamer
« on: May 17, 2021, 08:42:02 PM »
I hope a ramble is acceptable. Will type then send without review or spell checks just as I have a few minutes on my hands.

Live in Sydney Australia.

So 4 years ago at 59 years old I bought my first motorcycle after about 6 years on my first other bike - well a scooter - (an Aprilia Sport City).

Standing at 188cm or 6'2" and seeking a daily commute with longer rides but not cross country - my options were a little limited. I spent months combining net searches and sitting on bikes in showrooms. Never riding a single one. It came down to five:

A Ducati Multi Strada

A BMW 750

A KLR 650

A Suzuki V Strom

The Roamer or Bobber.

I then narrowed it down to the BMW or Roamer and presented the options to the wife. She said: "get the prettier one and get it in red".''

So the Roamer it was. Now I said that I had never ridden a motorcycle before. So the first bike I ever rode was the Roamer one Saturday at a legendary bike shop in Sydney on a busy road. The owner looked at me with concern. I stalled..I restarted...I stalled...I restarted... I stalled..and so the story went for a while. The bike shop owner...a legend ...said enough was enough and.. sensibly..."look, learn on a quiet road and come back".

Later that day I  went to another dealer for a test ride. It was on a very quiet road....I stalled...I stalled...I traveled  a few yards...I stalled...I traveled a few yards further went to change gear and stalled. I looped back to the dealer and stalled.

I bought the bike.

I had it delivered to the house. Quiet road. Long story short...I eventually stopped stalling ..except on hills on really busy roads - enduring cursing and blaring horns.

Eventually I stopped stalling...at least for the most part.

Whizzing forward 4 years;

No long rides beyond about 2 hours - love this bike.

Bought the upgraded 2017-8 seat rather than the flatter bench on ebay as I found the backside needed extra padding. Otherwise no mods  - despite mates imploring me to Agostini or Mistral it. Quite frankly, I like the smoothness of the sound rather than the diarrheatic fart of louder mufflers.( With mild apology to all those with Agostinies and Mistrals etc)

Very easy to flick in traffic - very light

A bit jerky on gear changes...my technique or the bike?? - I'll never know.- Don't tell me!)

Many correspondents here and elsewhere complain about lack of power - well how much power does one need??!! - Suits this post middle aged lay back chap perfectly.

Negatives though:
 - could use a windshield - but Ill probably not bother
 - a bit hard on the back on bumps and could update the suspension - but probably won't bother
 - the tank is a bit small and could get another tank to replace - but it would lose its lines so...probably won't bother
 - no fuel gauge - light comes on with about 50 ks to go and doing not really long trips  - could replace- but probably wont bother

Positives:

Only one really - IT'S LOVELY

It will be my only bike..

Like marriage there can be downsides and gripes but when it's all said and done,  if its lovely you keep it and enjoy it.

Adieu

R
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 08:43:42 PM by Roamer853 »

Online Jackr

• New Egg
Re: Four years with my Roamer
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 09:51:47 PM »
Roamer 853...I've had my Roamer 5 years this summer. I've heard and read lots of reasons not to like this bike, but I've enjoyed mine through the years. My main interest in riding motorcycles is fun, and I think better while riding, and some other important things. I use mine for everything; grocery getter, long-distance touring, just fooling around. Unlike you, my Roamer is the latest in a long line of motorcycles for me, my 4th Guzzi. A couple of weeks ago I rode from my house in Colorado to Cedar Vale KS for Dusty's rally. Bike ran flawlessly; the ride home from Cedar Vale was a challenge - for me; cold and windy, then the last 100 miles colder, snow, and driving sleet. When I arrived home I felt like my body had seized up. A hot shower and a few stiff drinks later, I became unseized. Roamer had no such issues and remains ready to roll. Enjoy your bike! Pic is my setup in Cedar Vale.

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 09:57:00 PM »
 Rambles are fine  :thumb:

Dusty

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 10:04:25 PM »
Congratulations on the Roamer, my Brother bought one. Although the tank is quite small they just sip gas and the range is similar to many other bikes with larger tanks.
I think the reserve is more like 100km, try it out sometime with an extra gallon tied to the back.
You might consider taking a riding course, they will teach you how to be safer, I took one when I got back into riding after a 40 year hiatus, money well spent and a lot of fun.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 10:04:25 PM »

Offline Roamer853

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 10:11:23 PM »
Roamer 853...I've had my Roamer 5 years this summer. I've heard and read lots of reasons not to like this bike, but I've enjoyed mine through the years. My main interest in riding motorcycles is fun, and I think better while riding, and some other important things. I use mine for everything; grocery getter, long-distance touring, just fooling around. Unlike you, my Roamer is the latest in a long line of motorcycles for me, my 4th Guzzi. A couple of weeks ago I rode from my house in Colorado to Cedar Vale KS for Dusty's rally. Bike ran flawlessly; the ride home from Cedar Vale was a challenge - for me; cold and windy, then the last 100 miles colder, snow, and driving sleet. When I arrived home I felt like my body had seized up. A hot shower and a few stiff drinks later, I became unseized. Roamer had no such issues and remains ready to roll. Enjoy your bike! Pic is my setup in Cedar Vale.

Cheers mate. If ever you are Downunder post - - we can ride and end with a beer!

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 11:03:55 PM »
That’s great!  I have a a Roamer  too.  I have had lots of bikes, the Roamer is my favorite.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 12:15:22 AM »
That’s great!  I have a a Roamer  too.  I have had lots of bikes, the Roamer is my favorite.

That's a good point  - I reckon that my Roamer is probably my favourite too.
Stylish, light and I can flat foot it ....... which is nice   :grin:
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 06:11:08 AM »
it really started to grow on me right when the pulled the plug.  now, with the new V7, I would just go with that were I looking.
Blue Guzz

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2021, 07:00:59 AM »
I’m so glad you’ve pushed past your riding issues. Practice in an empty parking lot will help..simple circles at low speed, figure 8, oval, reverse direction. I must have droned around for 1/2 an hour the other day working 2nd gear at a low rpm to control low speed maneuvering, figure 8, etc. it’ll pay dividends out in traffic

I fully intend to get the red/white Roamer w bags and a mid size shield..

As soon as i wear out the 07 Nevada i have..

It’ll probably be in a decade or two ...

Then I’ll find a good Roamer

:popcorn:

But then, i said that when the blue/silver EV came out

And the Aluminum, remember that one? Geez that’s a good looking bike..

I’m going to find me a green Tenni, absolutely

That lime green newish V7, oh geez makes me swoon. I’ll get one of those when the Nevada wears out, for sure

Motorcycle...it’s good for you!

"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 08:28:13 AM »
Roamer 853 is like an old time biker.They bought a bike ,rode it dealt with the discomfort issues and kept riding it without whining.There weren’t many options.Jack reminds me of a story my uncle told of a drive with his father in the 20s.As they passed a couple of riders in the sleet,Grandpa said,those are tough devils.

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2021, 11:20:03 AM »
Cheers!
 :thumb:
 :bike-037:
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Online Zenermaniac

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2021, 11:51:17 AM »
I’ve owned a ton of bikes from a Yamaha 100 twin jet to Gold Wing Aspencade. Currently riding a ‘17 Roamer and loving it. It’s not the fastest or most technically advanced bike out there but at this stage of my life it ticks all the right boxes. There are things I could improve or customize but then I look at it, grin and think - why bother - she’s beautiful - just go ride. Those who say it needs more power must not be riding it right.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here