Author Topic: Ohlins forks  (Read 2642 times)

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
Ohlins forks
« on: May 25, 2015, 09:40:22 PM »
I have finished making my 03 V11 Sport into a gray Nero Corsa.  I've got the Ohlins fork tubes sticking out of the top triple clamp far enough to cover the Apex clip on clamps, which I suspect is a little farther than stock.  The steering seems a lot quicker than it was.  This is not necessarily a good thing.  Can one of you who owns a stock bike with Ohlins forks measure how far the fork tubes stick out of the top clamp for me?  I'm wondering about the relation of stickout to steering quickness.  I'm guessing that a little makes a big difference.

Offline earemike

• Lurker
  • Gosling
    • A place for me to park on the web
Re: Ohlins forks
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 10:14:20 PM »
I can't measure (bike's gone) but can confirm I had the standard clip ons on top of the fork and one & a half rings showing.

850 T3
850 LeMans killer goose or somesutch I’m told
850 LeMans
850 LeMans II (I've butchered it by fitting a round headlight & removing the front faring.)
SP1000 Stucchi
V11 Ballabio
V7 Sport (needs a little work)

Offline Nick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 06:39:23 AM »
Can one of you who owns a stock bike with Ohlins forks measure how far the fork tubes stick out of the top clamp for me? 

On my Coppa Italia (no clip-ons here) they stick out 11/16"

Offline Dimples

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 07:24:13 AM »
'96 Sport 1100 - carb
'71 Ambassador - Venolia

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 07:24:13 AM »

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 01:14:20 PM »
According to the book, the rossa corsa should be 30mm above triple, the cafe sport 26mm. What Ohlins do you have, the one with hollow axle?  I found the v11 springs to weak, so depending on your weight and riding style, you will need stifferr springs. Best is to visit a center that does only suspension for a setup.
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 09:33:33 PM »
Thanks for all the info.  I sent the forks and shock to Racetech before I did the swap, so they should be right for my weight. 

I can probably drop the tubes a few millimeters and still be in the clamps.  Does a few millimeters make a difference?

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 07:58:00 AM »
Thanks for all the info.  I sent the forks and shock to Racetech before I did the swap, so they should be right for my weight. 

I can probably drop the tubes a few millimeters and still be in the clamps.  Does a few millimeters make a difference?

Depends on what you call a few. 10 is noticeable, but not earth shattering.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here