Author Topic: GUIDO, DOOFUS AND MOTO BITS STELVIO RISERS  (Read 4032 times)

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
GUIDO, DOOFUS AND MOTO BITS STELVIO RISERS
« on: May 26, 2015, 01:41:59 PM »
I'M SCREWED, I think...

To mount Moto Bits risers for my Stelvio NTX one has to remove the stock handlebar mounts so the risers can fit UNDER the stock mounts. What's the prob ask you?  Try to get the stock handlebar mounts off. 

Apart from removing the handlebars and top triple clamp to get to the underside of the clamp (where the mounts are attached) one has to use a 24" extension and a thinner, 13mm socket (to fit into the recess) and rotate a short headed bolt (from underneath.)  And I'm doing this on my back with a Mag Lite in my mouth.  So, theoretically, it's do-able, sorta.  Sorta not do-able when Guido at the factory sets torque at a zillion newton meters on his air wrench for that single mounting bolt. The left bolt was a project but FINALLY came loose with concerted effort, leveraged by a "24 breaker bar.  Getting the angle correct on the right side requires a wobble extension. And off course Doofus here, rounded the shallow bolt head after not getting it correct.

I've tried pounding the bolt edges down to reshape the bolt head, impacting the center of the bolt to break it free, a special socket for slightly rounded bolt heads but no go.  Guido musta set this side at 2 zillion newton meters.  "No risers for you signore!" The Moto Bits instructions did say "be careful" and "professional installation advised."  Problem is I don't trust the "professionals" around here.

What a crappy design for handlebar mounts. And risers.  Because I'm not willing to trust my other ideas to remedy the situation, I'm screwed, I think...  There, I've gone to confession.
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
Re: GUIDO, DOOFUS AND MOTO BITS STELVIO RISERS
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 03:04:43 PM »
One thought that 'might' help...grind down your 13mm socket so the open end is completely flat, ie, eliminate the small lip on the inside of the socket.  Hopefully you are using a 6 point socket.  This way you might get enough purchase on that nut to remove it.  Good luck!

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

canuguzzi

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 03:42:16 PM »
Same deal with the 13 Norge. Don't try to muscle the bolts, all you'll end up doing is get frustrated.

Proper length extension and socket. Use a swivel at the end. Impact drill just to loosen. You might need a right angle at the drill end.

Line everything up perfectly and then braaap just to loosen. After they are loose, do not use the drill anymore, hand work from there.

They will come loose.

Make sure that if your Stelvio has rubber mounts (you can't see them until everything is off, that the new stuff isn't dished out and give you metal to metal contact or all you'll end up with is a vibro machine.

Whatever you do, do not use any penetrating oil or lube stuff, just in case you the Stelvio has rubber mounts or you'll end up buying something pretty expensive to fix it and you will not have fun doing it. I was careful and got the bolts loosened but luckily I did not use lube as was recommended.

canuguzzi

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 03:50:39 PM »
I bet the same risers parts I used for the Norge will work on the Stelvio.

If you loosen only one bolt and then do one at a time, you end up fighting torque because if you have the same 3 bolts, the stock part then twists and you end up breaking stuff. Loosen one just slightly, you'll hear it crack loose, then do the other and then the other.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 03:50:39 PM »

canuguzzi

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 04:25:39 PM »
One last thing, don't try to loosen the bolts slowly, they must be broken loose with a quick turn, not a slow pressure on the breaker bar (don't use a breaker bar anyway).

One idea is that if yo have a socket that will fit on the one you're trying to remove, get the loose bolt a little tight to equalize the pressure on the others. Then clean off the bolt really well (a pits but it can be done) and then do the same to the socket.

Put some cold weld like JOB and then get the socket in and let it harden, not a few minutes but over night. Tape it in place if you have to.

Next day, go back with the impact drill and shock it loose. If it still doesn't come loose, the JB will fracture anyway and won't get stuck on the bolt. No worse off that when you started, just make sure you don't goop it on and then cold weld the bolt in place.

Just some other ideas.

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 05:14:40 PM »
Gads, it sounds like it might be just as easy to turn the bike upside down.
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

canuguzzi

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 06:12:03 PM »
Gads, it sounds like it might be just as easy to turn the bike upside down.

Yes, but the beer flows easier when you are upside down instead. :BEER:

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 06:33:35 PM »
Yep, did this last night on my Stelvio, and it was a right bitch of a job.  I did get through it, though, with the help of a friend, and a couple of 12" extensions.

Hate to tell you this, but the hardest part was getting the new bolts in with the risers in place.  They wouldn't line up, and I finally loosened one of the upper clamps on the handlebar to allow some lateral movement on one of the stock risers.  Then, I also needed to use a long shaft hex socket, so the body of the socket wouldn't come into contact with the surrounding metal.  Then, it was easy!  Well, not easy, but not as hard, I suppose.

I do not want to ever take those off again!! 

Best of luck with it.

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Offline jknight611

• Gentlemens cranks go fore and aft
  • New Egg
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 09:46:46 PM »
Just installed a set several days ago, same problem, one came out, (committed) second side nope, bolt tried to round off.  I took a 24 inch crescent wrench, taped the jaws so it wouldn't mark my risers and unscrewed the riser a 1/2 turn, then the 6 point socket removed the slightly damaged bolt.  The risers are really nice when you get them installed.

May the force be with you!
1995 Sport 1100
2007 GL1800
2006 Ural Tourist
2010 KLR650
2013 Stelvio

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 10:04:14 PM »
note to self..  don't get a Stelvio if the bars are too low..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
  • Almost ready for suspenders
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 10:15:39 PM »
note to self..  don't get a Stelvio if the bars are too low..

No kidding. Sounds like lowering the seat would be a better option  :BEER:

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 11:28:39 PM »
I took a 24 inch crescent wrench,

I'm gunna guess either a 12 inch crescent or you're Guido's brother...

Spud
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here