Author Topic: vintage guzzi ?'s  (Read 5064 times)

dirtrider

vintage guzzi ?'s
« on: May 26, 2015, 10:56:10 PM »
Hello all ..

been pondering something from the seventies, ambassador, eldo, or maybe a t3 cali. something that leans more to cruiser/tourer than sporting. Mostly to run around town and occasional day rides. I care more about solid mechanicals than looks. Patina is fine too much rust maybe not. I've been poking around and have picked up a few things to know about older guzzies. flakey chrome cylinders seem to be the biggest demon.

What year did they start putting oil filters on the motors?

I had an 06 HD electra glide. You'd think by 2006 they would have been able to put brakes on a heavy touring bike that would actually stop it. Coming from the world of dirt where a good front brake can send you over the bars. Riding an 800 lb pig with lousy brakes was an eye opener. I'm thinking If I go with an older bike something with at least a front disc may be warranted. I know the 75 850 t3 has the linked discs .....

What year/model did disc front brakes show up?

Below are a few links to some older stuff in my area. Any thoughts on the pricing and condition. anything look like a "good" deal ... about what you should expect for at that price ...  Or do they all look like something you should run from!!

these two bikes appear to be the same dude. Me thinks he scooped up a couple of barn finds got them spinning is is looking to unload. Chrome flake alarm bells are ringing in my head. The 70 looks kind of cool but thats no oil filter. The 72 seems on the rusty side ...

70 ambo

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/mcy/5002261131.html

72 eldo

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/mcy/5020425701.html

another ambo ... this one doesn't look to bad ... still got chrome flake alarm bells going off in my head though

71 ambo
http://worcester.craigslist.org/mcy/5015437090.html

none of these bike give me the feeling that someone has been inside them and done something like new sleeves or cylinders ....

Something shiny for the sporty types ... If I was 20 years younger I'd be all over this ....

http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/5033581523.html

canuck750

Re: vintage guzzi ?'s
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 11:05:27 PM »
The late 1975 850T was (I think) the first big block with an oil filter

Discs showed up (I only) on the 1974 Eldorado

All of the Ambo, Eldorado, 850T, T3 have chrome cylinder bores and ALL will need new (or replated) cylinders, new pistons, and the non-oil filter bikes MAY need a crank grind, new flange bearings and big end shells.

I love the lazy ride of my Eldorado. Unless you want to experience rebuilding a bike of your own (which I encourage is you have reasonable mechanical skills and some decent tools) you are best to but a bike that has been already refurbished.

The 850T3 got dual front discs and the rear single disc + the linked brake system and all of the 850T3 had an oil filter inside the sump.

Offline guzzibob

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 11:43:32 PM »
You might also consider a G5 if you can find one in good shape. These have integrated triple disc like the T3, but came with 1000cc and cast iron, not chrome bore. I know you do not consider this bike to be for sporting purposes, but I once owned a drum brake Eldorado and got rid of it because the brakes were marginal at best. Please do yourself a favor and ride a drum brake Guzzi before buying one just to be sure that you are OK with the brakes as they are. The triple disc models are so much better in that regard. Or if you come across a single disc Eldo then it is pretty easy to add a second front disc, so then you have a loop frame bike that can actually stop in a hurry when you need to. Also bear in mind that many of the bikes that came with chrome bore have by now been upgraded. Easy enough to check by pulling a plug and putting a magnetic rod down there, see if there is a strong attraction-which would not be the case if still chrome bore. In my opinion the Tonti framed bikes (that is, post Eldorado) are a lot more capable than the earlier loop framed bikes in many ways, not just the brakes. However I understand some people just gotta have that Eldo/Ambo look. And for sure they are really good for laid back touring.
Bob Dickman
Burbank CA
91 1000S
78 850T3FB
07 Norge
Lifetime MGNOC/AMA

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 11:51:29 PM »
LOW MILAGE - I DON'T THINK SO

All 3 have been around the block. not that that's a bad thing.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 11:51:29 PM »

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 01:05:06 AM »
Riding an 800 lb pig with lousy brakes was an eye opener.

Dirtrider if you didn't like the stopping power of a 2006 Harley-Davidson then you won't like any '70s Moto Guzzi -drum, disk, or dual disk. 
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 01:37:30 AM »
The V1000 started for the '75 model year and had three disk brakes and an oil filter.

Personally I'd either go with a '74 Eldorado or an early V1000.  The '74 eldo is as good as the loop frame got and the early V1000 variants were solid early Tonti's that never had chrome bores.  I'd pass over the 850s simply because at that age the cost of renovating/maintain one is the same as the V1000 but with less engine and charging system, and (except for the T3) less brakes.

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 05:16:20 AM »
If you are planning on buying a project Ambo/Eldo/850T/850T3 plan on budget an additional $2,000 to $3,000 (if you do all the work yourself) getting it road worthy.

I have an 1975 850T and a 1972 Eldorado that have been brought back to roadworthiness cosmetics aside that I am thinking of selling. If you are interested in one or both PM me for details.

Located in Southern PA.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 05:50:24 AM »
If I was buying  a vintage Guzzi I wouldn't bother with the 70's tourers that some people for reasons I have still yet to fathom seem to value so highly, get the true vintage experience with a single ideally a bacon slicer but a nuvo falcone will do.

Online nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 06:03:42 AM »
Loop frame Guzzis are not just for riding to the coffee shop or around town. That's a complete waste of a fine motorbike.  They are virtually indestructible - the best, most usable classic.  The brakes are a bit weak but as Charlie M. is often telling us, can be made to work properly with a bit of effort and tweaking.  You have to adjust your riding style to the bike, not expect the bike to match your riding style.

Don't loose any sleep over unfiltered oil. Change it often. These bikes weren't assembled with modern tolerances. Agonizing over the right oil is for those who don't actually ride much. Loops need to be ridden, not parked in a garage looking pretty.

In a couple of weeks two guys from California will be riding their Loops from California to Newfoundland via my place and the National Rally.  That's a trip I'd be anxious about on a modern bike, but I'd happily take my Eldorado.  I doubt whether they'll have any troubles.

Nick

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 06:21:27 AM »
All 3 of those loopframes on CL provide phone numbers.  Why wouldn't you just call and ask the right questions?
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 09:14:05 AM »
Loop frame Guzzis are not just for riding to the coffee shop or around town. That's a complete waste of a fine motorbike.  They are virtually indestructible - the best, most usable classic.  The brakes are a bit weak but as Charlie M. is often telling us, can be made to work properly with a bit of effort and tweaking.  You have to adjust your riding style to the bike, not expect the bike to match your riding style.

Don't loose any sleep over unfiltered oil. Change it often. These bikes weren't assembled with modern tolerances. Agonizing over the right oil is for those who don't actually ride much. Loops need to be ridden, not parked in a garage looking pretty.

;-T Nick has "nailed it".
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 09:14:40 AM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 09:21:07 AM »
Dirtrider if you didn't like the stopping power of a 2006 Harley-Davidson then you won't like any '70s Moto Guzzi -drum, disk, or dual disk. 

I think everything that's been said on this thread is pretty much on target; I'll just add, however, a  :+1 to this ^^^ .   We forget how much better 21st century brakes are than the disk brakes that makers put on bikes in the first 5 years that they were even invented for motorcycles.

Were I you, I'd find someone with a decent old Guzzi and I'd ride it a bit.   You might love it, you might hate it.   More words and opinions aren't going to help determine that, I'm afraid ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 09:41:50 AM »
In my opinion the Tonti framed bikes (that is, post Eldorado) are a lot more capable than the earlier loop framed bikes in many ways, not just the brakes.

This. 

Buy a sorted bike (loop or tonti) and you won't have to go through much of the headaches related to restoring a bike unless you like doing that sort of work and not riding. Plus, it is likely to be cheaper in the long run.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 09:58:07 AM »
 If you like the V-50. check if it stills has the handle bar mounts, if it does take off the clip ons and put on a set on handle bars.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 10:07:30 AM »
If you are planning on buying a project Ambo/Eldo/850T/850T3 plan on budget an additional $2,000 to $3,000 (if you do all the work yourself) getting it road worthy.

I have an 1975 850T and a 1972 Eldorado that have been brought back to roadworthiness cosmetics aside that I am thinking of selling. If you are interested in one or both PM me for details.

Located in Southern PA.

:+1
My 72 Eldorado cost me $200, I added up all the MG Cycle orders the other day ~ $2,000 and I still haven't covered new tires and painting but I figure by the time I finish I will have a $5,000 bike and the experience was great, Here's how I found her, 20 years with the heads off in a damp garage.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 10:11:21 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here