Author Topic: V85 TT Merged Threadfest  (Read 357159 times)

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V85 TT Merged Threadfest
« Reply #1110 on: November 18, 2018, 12:16:31 PM »
The beauty of a market is that it's never time for anybody to "put up or shut up" in reaction to a childlike taunt. Let's hope for the people in Mandello that testing reveals something that individuals will see as a good use of their money.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 12:17:13 PM by Tusayan »

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1111 on: November 18, 2018, 12:23:49 PM »
I really want to see some independent dyno numbers.  If Pete turns out to be wrong, he's going to have a hard time explaining all his many many blathering to the contrary.  :popcorn:
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Information is not knowledge.
« Reply #1112 on: November 18, 2018, 12:50:19 PM »
Not my cup of tea but good for Guzzi!!  Price, specs, intangibles, all seem to be very very reasonable and well thought out.  Time for the talking heads here to put up or shut up.  Is this a forum for Guzzi enthusiasts or a bunch of whiny old men that wear Guzzi T-shirts cuz "they were riding Guzzi when Guzzi wasn't cool" ????

:thumb:
Show me a Le Mans IV and I'll show you a Le Mans 1000.
'87 SPII, '74 Eldorado, '85 LeMans, '91 California, '71 Ducati 450 RT, '41 Indian 841, '40 Indian Model 640-B ex-Canadian Army

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1113 on: November 18, 2018, 01:18:11 PM »
Apparently it is man's or at least some on this forum’s destiny, to B..... rather complain.
I applaud MG’s efforts and none of us will know how it’s going to be until we ride the bike. And not a 5 minute round the parking lot thing.
From all accounts it looks like they’ll have a winner.
My only question right now is when will it be at the dealers and...ok 2 questions, what is the load carrying capacity for us’ns who likes to ride 2 up?
 :lipsrsealed:
Thank you
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #1113 on: November 18, 2018, 01:18:11 PM »

Offline stmike

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #1114 on: November 18, 2018, 01:20:32 PM »
From the Long Beach show:
[/url]

[/img]

Offline stmike

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #1115 on: November 18, 2018, 01:22:06 PM »

[
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 03:04:11 PM by stmike »

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1116 on: November 18, 2018, 01:31:23 PM »
Jim Hamlin (Hamlin Cycles) just confirmed.

$12,990 with bags
$11,990 without

Guzzi recently sent him the pricing info.

A thousand bucks for bags and a top case seems like a good deal to me unless they are junk.

Slime in the tubes has always been a standard procedure for me and with over 100K on a few bikes with tubes I've gotten one slow leak which I nursed back home without too much of a hassle.  As others have said, they will hopefully offer a tubeless rim option.

And for Christ's sake, can we at least wait until a non-factory rider has had a change to review the bike before we piss on the parade?
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #1117 on: November 18, 2018, 01:44:48 PM »
I like it, I'm going to buy one... I am surrounded by FS roads and plenty of country roads to access them... I have been thinking about a medium ADV for two years. This beats a wee-strom, tiger, or a japanese dual sport IMHO... checks all my boxes and I don't care what color it is. I'll slime the tubes and seal the rims the first time I need tires...

Otherwise just a lot of bellyaching around this bike

it's under $13k with bags, it's 460# dry, 80hp, centerstand available.... I don't see what there is to bitch about.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #1118 on: November 18, 2018, 02:14:55 PM »
I like it. It would be ideal for a lot of our roads and would be an ideal tourer. Our speed limit is 100kms/hr, pretty rigidly enforced so high speed is something you do at your own risk, and we have enough gravel roads to get to some pretty nice places off the beaten track.

I would prefer tubeless.  On the Breva I carry a small compressor, a dog turd kit and a canister of sealant in a compressed air can.  Some places in our fair land, especially in the South Island, have a fair distance between tire repair places.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1119 on: November 18, 2018, 03:42:58 PM »
I think the price may be about $1K high to be competitive but a lot hinges on how well the bike works.  With no reactive linkage on the rear suspension and small block power, it could be a dog.  Or if those issues have been carefully massaged it could be a great bike that fills in the market gap created by ever increasing complexity and size of road going competitors.

How much time on small blocks do you have?  Where do you do most of your riding?  I just got in from riding curvy hilly farm roads and the V7III had more than enough power to do anything I wanted to do.  I am amazed at how well it revs to redline without a single complaint.  Any more HP would be a waste unless you spend all your time on the interstates (boring).
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

pete roper

« Reply #1120 on: November 18, 2018, 03:43:28 PM »
I really want to see some independent dyno numbers.  If Pete turns out to be wrong, he's going to have a hard time explaining all his many many blathering to the contrary.  :popcorn:

You can't alter the laws of physics Chad.

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1121 on: November 18, 2018, 04:01:08 PM »
I think the price may be about $1K high to be competitive but a lot hinges on how well the bike works.  With no reactive linkage on the rear suspension and small block power, it could be a dog.  Or if those issues have been carefully massaged it could be a great bike that fills in the market gap created by ever increasing complexity and size of road going competitors.

Not sure why you say this - it's cheaper than the low end BMW solution (F750 GS) and the low end Triumph solution (Tiger 800 Xr), and, the naked version's price is comparable to a Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled.  How do I know?  I looked at those three bikes this weekend.  I was pleasantly surprised with the V85 price.  I'm just not sure I want to wait till June, which is when AF1 says they expect their first shipment, nor am I sure I want to live with the teething problems related to a brand new Guzzi model.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #1122 on: November 18, 2018, 04:12:46 PM »
'Moto Guzzi. Spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar since, well, a long time now'!

Piaggio claim to want to build something spectacular. Then they deliver a 2 valve 'Turd in a Tu-Tu', lie about its performance, stick it in a chassis with cheap, bargain basement, suspension design, fling on a set of the cheapest wheels imaginable and then pray it will appeal to some huge, untapped, market of non motorbike riders who will then rush out and buy it!

Good grief!

"Turd in  Tu Tu "   :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #1123 on: November 18, 2018, 04:21:25 PM »
Jim Hamlin (Hamlin Cycles) just confirmed.

$12,990 with bags
$11,990 without

Guzzi recently sent him the pricing info.

I'll take mine w/o bags and in the solid color thank you. Will be interesting (or depressing) to see what trade-in value my V7 III brings.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1124 on: November 18, 2018, 04:34:51 PM »
I'll take mine w/o bags and in the solid color thank you. Will be interesting (or depressing) to see what trade-in value my V7 III brings.

If you find slightlt less than whole sale auction pricing interesting you'll be fine.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #1125 on: November 18, 2018, 06:28:17 PM »
If you find slightlt less than whole sale auction pricing interesting you'll be fine.

What are you suggesting - that Guzzi's don't have good resale value?   :rolleyes:
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline DaSwami

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #1126 on: November 18, 2018, 07:55:08 PM »
What are you suggesting - that Guzzi's don't have good resale value?   :rolleyes:

In my experience, selling my Guzzi's netted me more $$ than my Triumphs.  I am shocked how it seems Triumph is so lightly regarded in the marketplace, at least here in the southeast.

However, the inverse is true when trying to trade in to a dealer.  With the Guzzi, you would have thought I walked into the dealer showroom as a vampire. All I got was the "crawdad" treatment from the salespeople (pincers out and slowly backing away...)

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #1127 on: November 19, 2018, 05:28:48 AM »
Ha ha.. THAT'S funny.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1128 on: November 19, 2018, 08:43:53 AM »
Maybe I missed it, but what size gas tank does it have an any idea of mpg?
Thanks,
Tex

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1129 on: November 19, 2018, 08:49:37 AM »
Thanks,
Tex

At over 500lbs RTR I'd hope the fuel cell holds somewhere in the neighborhood of about 27 gallons to account for the extra heft!
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1130 on: November 19, 2018, 09:08:17 AM »
I like it, I'm going to buy one... I am surrounded by FS roads and plenty of country roads to access them... I have been thinking about a medium ADV for two years. This beats a wee-strom, tiger, or a japanese dual sport IMHO... checks all my boxes and I don't care what color it is. I'll slime the tubes and seal the rims the first time I need tires...

Otherwise just a lot of bellyaching around this bike

it's under $13k with bags, it's 460# dry, 80hp, centerstand available.... I don't see what there is to bitch about.

For off road riding the biggest disadvantage even riding the most manicured fire roads is the $500+lb weight. My Vstrom 650 with a curb weight of 472 lbs was too heavy and got shod with street tires and was never taken off road. Honestly my DR650 with a curb weight of 366lbs was more than enough even on dry groomed fire roads. 

I don't care what tires you put on they alone can not compensate enough for an extra 100+lbs. Going forward is not a problem on these behemoths its the stopping or turning when things start to get fun.  Add in a little rain, a skim of mud and an incline/decline and the extra weight really becomes you enemy. Heavy bikes no matter what make/model off road are no fun. Heck heavy bikes on road are becoming less and less fun.
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1131 on: November 19, 2018, 09:27:55 AM »
Not sure why you say this - it's cheaper than the low end BMW solution (F750 GS) and the low end Triumph solution (Tiger 800 Xr), and, the naked version's price is comparable to a Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled.  How do I know?  I looked at those three bikes this weekend.  I was pleasantly surprised with the V85 price.  I'm just not sure I want to wait till June, which is when AF1 says they expect their first shipment, nor am I sure I want to live with the teething problems related to a brand new Guzzi model.

I think the TT's performance is likely to be lower than the bikes you mention, and that the Suzuki is also part of the equation.   The pattern with Guzzi for years has been to price the bikes as though they are a widely respected high status marque, which they aren't in the real world, especially outside of Europe.  Then when they fail to sell at that price, they're blown out at heavy discounts.  The way to break that cycle is to price them in the middle, somewhat aggressively, and offer a product (perhaps like this one) that better meets mass market demand and will move at somewhere near retail.  The US market is in particular extremely competitive in this regard and it takes a substantial buy in to get established.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 09:50:57 AM by Tusayan »

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #1132 on: November 19, 2018, 10:11:53 AM »
$12k US without the bags is a good price based on other comparable new bikes I've been looking at (Triumph, BMW, etc.).  The shaft is nice as folks have mentioned and $1k for bags all around is great assuming a decent build quality (also mentioned).

I think I read around 50 mpg.  Will try to find the source again and will edit the post if I do.

<edit> It may have been in the EICMA official release.  ADVRider says they announced it as 48 MPG.   Now we get to ask:  what's a gallon?  ;)    (1 imperial = 1.2 US)

https://advrider.com/moto-guzzi-v85-tt-specs-released-eicma-2018/ 

</edit>
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 10:15:04 AM by Rhodan »

Offline Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #1133 on: November 19, 2018, 10:22:28 AM »
$12,999 sounds cheap.  I hope it's not a case of getting what you paid for. 

I sincerely hope quality control, connectors, wiring and other foibles are minimized on this Guzzi and typical "sorting out" is not required.

Saw it yesterday at the Long Beach show and was disappointed in the details, looked done on a budget to me compared to my Stelvio. Id rather it had been $14999. and looked it.

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #1134 on: November 19, 2018, 11:36:57 AM »
So far I am loving the bike...

Price seems to be reasonable for US (hopefully I don't get some stupid shit tax in Canada)

I can get the 2-tone color WITH boxes for 13K US which is ~17K CDN...this is almost unheard of with the similar bikes on the market...beside the DRZ and KLR which are dirt cheap...that also VStrom but have start reading long term reports where people are finding hairline cracks on the alum chassis after good offroading... :shocked:

seat height is manageable from the number...really need to still sit on one.

Tube sucks, but I am sure there are geniuses here can teach me how to seal them....I have broken down on the side of the road with tube tires where I accidentally pinched the 2 spares I got and waited another 2 hours for BCAA to showed up...ya, wasn't a fun day.

Air-cool which means no issues with radiator plugging up...friend's Vstrom actually overheated in the middle of Alaska because of plugged rad and pinched hose...

Either way, I really want to see how the rider review by new owners/individual reports...Would love to see some feedbacks from people who don't work for Guzzi LOL...

Thanks,
Tex

21L with claimed 4.9L/100KM (48US MPG)

You and me both...except my is a V7...the fast red one  :tongue:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 11:37:58 AM by TimmyTheHog »
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1135 on: November 19, 2018, 12:10:07 PM »
How much time on small blocks do you have?  Where do you do most of your riding?  I just got in from riding curvy hilly farm roads and the V7III had more than enough power to do anything I wanted to do.  I am amazed at how well it revs to redline without a single complaint.  Any more HP would be a waste unless you spend all your time on the interstates (boring).

50/50 between central Europe and the western US, everything from goat tracks to Autobahnen at roughly 150 kph on a bike with this seating position. Otherwise mostly on twisty roads as fast as I can safely ride them. I have enough time on small blocks to know the pre-existing versions don’t have enough power to haul around a bike like this in a way that will sell the bike.  I’m hoping that they’ve got just enough extra power out of the engine to make it work well for the service I’ve described. Also that the swing arm is long enough to limit shaft jacking likewise.  I think the above is possible, just barely, and I’m hoping they’ve pulled it off.  Testing will tell the tale.

Offline th_01

• Hatchling
  • It is what it is.........
« Reply #1136 on: November 20, 2018, 11:09:41 AM »

What's all the bitchn? 

Good job Aprilia for keeping it alive.   

Everytime Guzzi has a new bike there is a rush to beat the crap out of it. Why?? 

How many of you would buy it if it had tubeless rims, weighed less than a GS, different color, well over 100 HP, etc, etc????   
Tom in Boston
1973 Eldorado
1976 T3++
2023 V85 Centenario
2023 V100s Centenario
1966 Aermacchi Harley Davidson M-50S - on Display and Vanilla Bean

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
« Reply #1137 on: November 20, 2018, 11:19:06 AM »
What is the rush to seal spoked wheels?

Don't tubeless tires require a rim designed for them?

I'm more unimpressed with the 2 valve heads.  I also kinda like the bolt on rear wheel of my Stelvio.

Spud
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1138 on: November 20, 2018, 12:09:31 PM »
Thanks,
Tex

Key metrics for me were:

Seat height: 32.7 in
tank capacity: 5.5 gallons
Wet weight: 504 lbs

Didn't see anything about mileage.  Based on what people report regarding newer Guzzis I suspect it will be somewhere between 40-50 mpg.

Here's a shot of the specs I found:

Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #1139 on: November 20, 2018, 12:54:06 PM »
What is the rush to seal spoked wheels?

Don't tubeless tires require a rim designed for them?

Having flats with tubes sucks.  Having flats with tubeless is a few minutes of down time.

Motorcycle wheels for the road, marked "MC" all have the little shoulder in the rim to keep the tire from coming off.   
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here