Author Topic: Help Disarming C14 Alarm  (Read 2398 times)

britman

Help Disarming C14 Alarm
« on: January 14, 2019, 04:09:19 PM »
Ok Gentlemen, maybe I should order my "Village Idiot" tee shirt and go on with life, but damned if I get get the alarm disabled on my 2014 California Touring.  I have followed the below directions on numerous attempts and I still have the alarm.

1. Start the engine, then shut it off. Set the manual alarm by pushing the key fob button within a few seconds of shut down. The system is now fully armed.
2. Immediately after arming it (the book says within 10 seconds) turn the key on, the alarm will beep once.
3. Push the arming button on the key fob 4 times. The bike will make a sound you never heard before (the book calls it a Boop) 4 times. This confirms that you did it right. If you don't hear 4 Boops, start over again.
4. Turn the key Off. The system is now ready for reprogramming.
5. Turn the key on then off 7 times and then one more time ON (a total of 8 turn-ons). The LED on the side panel (the "real" alarm indicator) should be on.
6. Press the key fob arming button twice. You should hear the weird Boop noise again, confirming the action.
7. Turn the ignition Off and then press the key fob button one last time to exit reprogramming mode.
The red blinker on the dash will continue to blink (it's a decoy and has nothing to do with the actual alarm system), but the Real alarm LED, on the front of the left side panel, will remain off. The alarm will now NOT automatically set. However, if you want to set the full alarm, just use the button.

My dilemma comes with the manually setting the alarm, turning the key on within 10 seconds (after shutting the bike off) and the single beep.  No matter what I do I get two beeps and pushing the fob button four times produces crap, no "boops" at all....

I have quit for the evening and going back another day.  Am I missing something, pushing the wrong button, or is my bike programed in a different dimension.  I do not have the alarm bypass plug since I bought the bike used.  I have also read you can just unplug the whole system under the side cover with just do away with the alarm entirely.  If that can be verified, sounds like a path I might be taking.  I just don't want to be stuck when a fob is lost, gets soaking wet, or the battery dies.  Anybody who's been there and done this ahead of me, I would really appreciate some input.  I do have the alarm manual, I am read through it twice.....Gets a little be more confusing each time through......

Offline Wissing

• New Egg
Re: Help Disarming C14 Alarm
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 07:07:21 PM »
I've got the same bike as you, and the procedure you are trying to use works. It is difficult to say what is going wrong in your case. However, as you decsribe it, you could be missing pushing the key fob in step 1. I would suggest to involve one more person for your next attempt. You know, four eyes better that two etc. And the whole procedure really has to be done in rather quick succession.
MG V85TT Travel
MG California 1400 Touring (sold)
Honda CTX700D
Indian Scout

Offline rtbickel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 09:07:52 PM »
It will take several attempts but it will eventually work and it does have to be done relatively fast, it sort of times out if you hesitate and you have to start over again.  It might help if someone read out the directions to you rather than have to refer back to them at each step.   You might also be able to get the bypass plug at the dealer, or one of our enterprising members could make you one up.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 09:09:41 PM by rtbickel »
2020 V85TT
2002 California Special Sport - The Black Widow
2014 California Touring - Stealth (Gone but not forgotten)

Offline steveford

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2014 California Touring!!! I love this BIKE!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 09:25:27 PM »
A bypass plug should have come with the bike.
Keeping the Guzzi Passion Alive
Steve Ford
Vancouver Wa.

100,000+ mile 2001 EV http://wildguzzi.com/Rallies/Photos/AZ/1.jpg
77,000+mile 2014 1400 Touring
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ClnTFjmDyPMS2RBB3

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 09:25:27 PM »

britman

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 06:14:26 AM »
Going to the bring the Son-in-law in the picture in the next day or two.  Extra set of much younger eyes and an IT manager at a large defense firm.  Maybe these 70 year old fingers don't move fast enough to tag the sequence.  As I said, no bypass plug, I bought the bike used and never saw one. I did send an email to my local dealer inquiring if one could be purchased.  I will prevail........

Offline Jimijoe

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 11:03:54 AM »
I have a California  1400 also , I unplugged & removed. Started engine,  ran fine. Good luck with your disabling or removal

Offline drbone641

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 12:00:33 PM »
I had no bypass plug with the bike. Sorry sir.
73 TR6
09 Multistrada
16 Eldorado

britman

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 06:10:04 PM »
I had no bypass plug with the bike. Sorry sir.

I understand, you were very upfront and thorough during the adoption process.  If there had been one I know it would have been in the items passed on.

I heard from my local dealer.  Even after passing on the serial number for the bike, his reply.  "I am going to have to reach out to Guzzi on this one.  I will get back to you."

Offline drbone641

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 10:53:14 AM »
I was headed to Orlando, to pick up another 1400 Eldo this time. Weather wasn't cooperating and they sold it.  :sad:
Miss her lol
73 TR6
09 Multistrada
16 Eldorado

britman

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 04:05:11 PM »
The alarm fob function is no more.  I sincerely believe it would have been easier to de-program a 20 year cult member.  The Son-in-law had the touch, but it still took a number of tries to hit the sweet spot in the sequence with one calling directions and the other pushing buttons and turning the key. Fob is riding safely in the saddlebag, just in case.  Thanks everyone for the input......

Offline mmcwhitehead

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 06:19:54 PM »
I have a '14 California Touring. I tried to disarm the alarm system mine using the procedure many times after I first bought it new- no joy.
The dealer was no help at all. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.

I just wanted to set it up so that I could choose when to activate the alarm and when to have it inactive. I finally gave up and plugged in the bypass. Been riding it that way for several years.

I might have another go at it this Spring, or leaving sleeping dogs lie. I'm not too worried about someone stealing it... I figure if they can't pronounce it, they probably won't steal it (worked so far).
2014 California Touring
1973 Eldorado w/ Velorex Sidecar

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 07:34:10 PM »
I have a '14 California Touring. I tried to disarm the alarm system mine using the procedure many times after I first bought it new- no joy.
The dealer was no help at all. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.

I just wanted to set it up so that I could choose when to activate the alarm and when to have it inactive. I finally gave up and plugged in the bypass. Been riding it that way for several years.

I might have another go at it this Spring, or leaving sleeping dogs lie. I'm not too worried about someone stealing it... I figure if they can't pronounce it, they probably won't steal it (worked so far).
I always just park mine in between my buddies Harley's, lol

britman

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 05:57:56 PM »
Below is a copy of the email from my local MG Dealer.  The response was timely and the young fellow did explore all avenues, but if you are looking for an alarm bypass plug from the company, chances really look slim.  Just FYI.......

Hey there George,

Yes I have and emailed it over on January 16th. I will copy it below. I apologize if the response ended up in your spam filter, I'm not sure why but we see that happen from time to time.

Hey there George,

It looks like I will not be able to help you track this down as Moto Guzzi does not make the "jumper plug" available on it's own. It is situations like these where the Guzzi forums are your best bet for an answer, Moto Guzzi US is horrible with issues and inquiries like this. Here is the response I got back from them regarding the bypass plug:
Hi Ben,

Are you referring to the bypass plug? 

Please see below as per it’s not sold separate.

ON the Touring the alarm module  connects into the harness. The alarm module documentation bag normally has the jumper plug in it.
On the Custom a jumper plug connects to the harness and takes the place of the alarm module. (It already comes fitted to the bike)

I dug through the parts fiche for each of the two models listed and there is no record of either the plug or documentation bag listed anywhere that I could find. The best lead I have for you to track this down is that the alarm is produced by a company called Meta System out of Italy. They may be able to help you track down a proper bypass plug.

I wish I had better news for you George! If there's anything else I can help with, please feel free to reach out!

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here