Author Topic: Opinions on corbin seat.  (Read 9934 times)

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
Re: Opinions on corbin seat.
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2019, 04:58:57 PM »
I put 80,000+ miles on a 98 EV with a Corbin. Absolutely loved it. Loved it so much, I just ponied up and ordered one for my MGX. The stock seat is good for about 200 miles. The upgraded "comfort" seat is good for about 400 miles.  I like to do 600 mile days sometimes, and the Corbin is the ticket for me.
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
2021 TaoTao TBR7

elvisboy77

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2019, 05:40:31 PM »
I have one on my 2016 Eldorado, and Luap nailed it.  The stock is pretty good, the Corbin makes me forget about my seat between fillups.

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2019, 05:41:58 PM »
It's closed cell foam.  The break-in is simply rupturing the cell walls until it shapes to your form.  Nothing magic about it.
Makes sense, though I've not heard it described before.
Thanks
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Stephen Hill

• New Egg
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2019, 07:31:19 PM »
I have three Corbin seats, and one thing they have in common is the deep recess, kind of like a tractor seat.  I find them generally comfortable, but it gives you only one position to sit in.  If you want to stretch your legs, and push back from the tank, you can't do it.  If you want to slide up towards the tank and tuck into a more aggressive riding position, you can't do it.  And if you want to slide off the seat and lean into the turn (variations on knee dragging), you can't really do that either.

Stephen Hill
1977 Moto Guzzi LeMans Mk1
1989 Honda NT650, 1999 Honda VFR
1956 BSA Gold Star, 1968 BSA Royal Star
1968 Triumph Bonneville, 1969 Triumph Daytona, 1973 Triumph Trident
1968 Norton Fastback, 1969 Norton 650SS, 1972 Norton Commando Combat, 1974 Norton Commando Interstate

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2019, 07:31:19 PM »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2019, 08:32:13 PM »
  If you want to slide up towards the tank and tuck into a more aggressive riding position, you can't do it.  And if you want to slide off the seat and lean into the turn (variations on knee dragging), you can't really do that either.

Stephen Hill
Must be why they have them on Moto GP bikes.
No wonder MM is so damn quick, I wondered how he did it..!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 08:34:42 PM by Huzo »

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
  • Aprilia Caponord 1200, Aprilia Shiver, gone MG B11
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2019, 10:04:14 AM »
I've bought 4 Corbin seats. 3 of the 4 were keepers.

I put one on my (gone) 600 Bandit and hated it. It just did not fit me right.

I put one on my Breva 1100 and like it very much. I think it was ordered with a little extra height. I have thought about taking it to an upholsterer and having a little more foam added to raise it a bit and possibly narrow it slightly towards the tank.

I put one on my Aprilia Shiver. I is a big improvement over the stock seat but I plan on taking it to an upholsterer to add a bit more foam. It is thin but shaped well.

I bought Corbin seats for my son's SV650. The Corbin is very hard and thin but it is shaped well. He really likes it. I would occasionally switch bikes with him on rides. With the stock seat or the factory gel seat, I could only ride it about 5-10 minutes before I was in pain. I can ride much longer in relative comfort with the Corbin.

North Carolina

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2019, 10:41:51 AM »
Seats and screens-two things that are 100% individualist.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2019, 11:05:43 AM »
Ive ridden on many of the top saddle makers seats including Corbin, mustang, Sargent and others I can't recall right now and the bottom line for me is after 4-5 hours, I want off..... That being said, Mustang, which I have had several of, tends to be the most ridder friendly straight out of the box and for many miles there after.

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2019, 11:11:55 AM »
Ive ridden on many of the top saddle makers seats including Corbin, mustang, Sargent and others I can't recall right now and the bottom line for me is after 4-5 hours, I want off..... That being said, Mustang, which I have had several of, tends to be the most ridder friendly straight out of the box and for many miles there after.

Of all the bikes I've ridden, the single worst mod ever was a gel seat, and the single greatest mod ever is still the sheepskin.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2019, 08:16:10 PM »
Seats and screens-two things that are 100% individualist.

Offline Buckturgidson

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2019, 08:54:52 PM »
No opinion on Corbins, I have had two Sargents that I really liked.
An excursus: I had two BMWs with absolutely horrible stock seats, the most recent a 2003 R1150RS. This was an expensive motorcycle and I literally could not ride it more than 45 minutes without significant discomfort. I weigh 170-175 so that was not the issue. How do you deliver a $15K motorcycle with a seat this bad?
"It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel." -Spinal Tap.
"Wagner's music is better than it sounds." -Mark Twain

'86 Yamaha SRX-6
'07 Norge, Rosina, the classy one

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2019, 10:10:37 PM »
I have typically found Corbins to be less comfortable than the stock seat they replaced, but it depends on the model bike and of course the rider.  Obviously some people like them or they'd go out of business.

I inherited a $700 Corbin with my latest used ST Ducati and had the opportunity to compare it to the stock ST4 seat and to the Sargent seat saved from a previous bike.  My wife loves the backrest on the Corbin but I've found the Sargent more comfortable and on a 10 day ride last summer was ready to throw the Corbin in a ditch. It's also a bit second rate in design and unbelievably, ridiculously heavy when compared with the Sargent or stock.

I'd probably choose the stock seat over the Corbin on the ST, but would have to try it for a long ride to know for sure.   I would definitely buy a Sargent first, that's what's on the bike if I'm solo, and would not buy a Corbin with my own money.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 10:12:30 PM by Tusayan »

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2019, 07:36:35 AM »
The Corbin on the Centauro is more comfortable than the stock regular seat but I think the GT seat is even better. The stock seats definitely fit better.
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2019, 09:04:03 AM »
I have a Corbin seat on my Suzuki Bandit and my Buell S2 Thunderbolt.  Quality and comfort handmade to order.  I would say there are a plethora of posteriors out there, but I have no issues moving around on the seat on either bike for relaxed riding or more aggressive riding.
Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

Hymes Inc.

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2019, 10:57:49 AM »
Is corbin the only manufacturer that makes a seat without giving up your stock one for modification? I see Sergeants doesnt offer any MG seats on their website. I really don't want to sacrifice my factory seat as I still like it and if I don't like it's replacement I can put it back on.

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2019, 02:57:09 PM »
 I put a Corbin on my LeMans lll and it made it all day rideable,and my K75S came with one work well for my butt, but I had a custom touring seat made for my T and they got the color wrong and it was really ugly but comfy. SO two out of three where good.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2019, 03:21:02 PM »
I have a Corbin seat on my 85 Lemans IV, and I love it! The way it fits up over the back of the gas tank is beautiful, and it doesnt scratch the tank or body work anywhere. The red piping on the red bike looks amazing. This Corbin was broken in for me by the previous owner, and it has been comfortable  for me from day one. When you first sit on it, it feels like leather over concrete, but the shape is ergonomically correct, and good for 4-5 hrs in the saddle. I have an Alaska sheepskin topper I throw on it if the weather is very hot, as that helps with air circulation and comfort here in Arizona.
  My son put a corbin on his HD XR 1200, and that transformed the bike. Stock Harley seat was a piece of junk on that bike, and would fit loosely, with side to side play. The Corbin has its own proprietary mounting system with a key lock on the side of the seat, that is very high quality, and mounts the seat securely, but makes it easy to remove.
  I like the leather seating surfaces, on Corbins, they get more comfortable with age, and hold up very well to daily rider usage. :thumb: :thumb:
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Noguzznoglory

• Gosling
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2019, 04:18:22 PM »
bought a corbin for my versys 650 and wouldn't latch down. they were no help. first told me to shim it with flat washers(on $500.00 seat? really?).
then sent a part that was no where close to fitting the seat or bike. they generously offered a return less the 50 or 60 shipping. finally made a shim thet got it to work myself.
have 2 other corbins that fit fine. but i'll never buy another. customer service is non existent and completely uncooperative
93 750 Nighthawk
73 Honda CB350
73 Honda CL450
04 Breva 750
15 Norge
16 VERSYS 650

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2019, 09:52:12 AM »
Look what came in yesterday. I also have the passenger seat and a backrest, but haven't needed to mount them yet. I must say that even though I only have about 100 miles on this seat so far, it is hands down night and day better than the OEM. Cant wait to get some serious 600 mile day seat time in it.

Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
2021 TaoTao TBR7

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2019, 09:57:16 AM »
Beautiful.
Corbin owners are my #2 customers and sheepskin users are right behind.
BMS saddles (used by tons of BMW guys) are far and away #1 in sales. A seat that works for you is a beautiful thing.

BTW-if I can mention it- Greg bender has a very favorable review of my stuff on his web site.  If I can't just delete it.

Custom seats are near and dear to my heart!

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2019, 10:39:22 AM »
FWIW...Just put one on the Griso. I have a 30" inseam. I was on the frt 1/3 of my foot prior now I'm on my toes. Fortunately I'm used to it after several Beemers.

Offline flower_king001

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2019, 10:56:37 AM »
Nice! I'm sure you'll love it as you did the '98 EV Corbin saddle. Stock saddle on my EV was a 50-75 mile saddle and the Corbin makes it an all day ride.

Look what came in yesterday. I also have the passenger seat and a backrest, but haven't needed to mount them yet. I must say that even though I only have about 100 miles on this seat so far, it is hands down night and day better than the OEM. Cant wait to get some serious 600 mile day seat time in it.

Current Fleet

1971 BMW R90/5
1986 Moto Guzzi Lemans IV 1000
1998 Moto Guzzi 1100 EV
2005 BMW 1200 RT
2007 BMW 1200 GS
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2019, 05:28:25 PM »
Well, that certainly looks like it's super comfy.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline mnuttall87

• New Egg
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2019, 10:26:04 PM »
Your bike really looks great.  I'd really like one of these but I worry it's too much bike for me.  Do you ride it daily?  How is it for commutes (short or long?).  Liked your 15k mile update post too.  Seat looks great.

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2019, 06:24:54 AM »
There are used take-off V7 seats for sale all over the web.  Buy one and send it out to your favorite seat maker becomes an attractive option for many.
Not to blow my own horn too loud but Corbin makes a "rain cover" that they say you shouldn't use in the rain.  Go figure.
My covers are made to use-some proof is a BMW rider I made a few for who is approaching 800,000 miles lifetime award and the IBA Challenge rider I help sponsor who placed 11th in the last IBA using a BMS Saddle with a KoF seat cover for the entire race.

I think the comments here are close to what my experience with customers is.  It appears that the ratio is roughly 50/50 (give or take a bit) satisfied/not so satisfied.  Looking further at my sales log cruiser owners seem more likely to like their seat that other styles of motorcycle owners.
The two I bought (and sold) secondhand for my Norge both had the pocket wayyyyyyyy to far rearward-for me.  A taller rider may have liked it but with a 32" inseam it pushed my much to far back.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2019, 10:27:33 AM »
Jim...Darrell got his 800,000 mile award a couple of months ago. He even had a write-up in the BMWMOA magazine. He's a super-nice guy...and he rides an R1200RS (like me!).
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2019, 11:23:09 AM »
And there you have it................. .........that's a lot of miles!
have not had a chance to catch up on my reading.  been snowing like crazy here.

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2019, 01:40:51 PM »
Mike Corbin's 'arrogance' has slipped into the mindset of some staff. I tend to hold a grudge. OTOH, 5 Sargent saddles have all been excellent, plus as a company they're hugely helpful. When they no longer made driving light adapters for my VFR they were generous & fast, getting the materials to set up another bike.  'til the V7-3 I only had sport, sport tour bikes. The only time my a** had gotten sore was on hot days stuck in traffic.  R3~

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2019, 07:40:30 AM »
I've only ridden two Corbin seats.. both on Centauros. Both were hard (not necessarily bad) and slick. Not good.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Jabo911

• New Egg
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2019, 08:45:56 AM »
I debated with myself about pants or overpants. I went with waterproof overpants for a few reasons. I can remove waterproof layer on warmer days. On even warmer days i can wear shorts under the overpants. Makes for a much cooler ride plus when I stop, overpants come off and i'm more comfortable. On the other hand, I look stupid walking around wearing shorts and my boots.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here