Author Topic: Other one Bites the Dust  (Read 2972 times)

Offline Griso8V

• Hatchling
Other one Bites the Dust
« on: January 23, 2019, 11:43:45 AM »
Well I call California Speed Sports in Livermore CA. to schedule routine maintenance for my Griso8V.  They told me that they are dropping Guzzi due to:
1.  Guzzi wants them to buy/floor more bikes
2.  They did not sell very many last year, I think she told me they sold 11 last year (but not sure so dont quote me on it) in any case they did not sell very many. 
Bummer they were a good dealer with nice people.  I guess I will call up Spirit Motorcycles in San Jose.  They are a Guzzi dealer and looks like they have MG's on the floor so I will give them a call. 
The up side for me is that Spirit is closer than Calif. Speed Sports.  We will see...Maybe I should just listen to my friend and buy a BMW...

Offline MGrego

• Gosling
Re: Other one Bites the Dust
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 11:48:52 AM »
...Maybe I should just listen to my friend and buy a BMW...

Or you could do your own maintenance, plenty of help here on the Forum !

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 12:02:30 PM »
If you are not a DIY'er I'd assume they still be able to perform the maintenance tasks just not as an authorized dealer.  So while you can't buy a new bike there you can still get work done.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Griso8V

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 12:36:34 PM »
I am not sure about the maintenance, I actually for got to ask about that.  I will check back with them.  But Spirit is closer to me anyway.  We will see, I will call and ask. 

Yes, I could and can do my own work but with my job, restoring a third Lancia Appia, and family (94 year old mom) obligations, things get a bit complicated.  So It is nice to have the option to have a place to take the bike to in case something major or more likely me just not having the time.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 12:36:34 PM »

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 12:47:45 PM »
Many of us must travel to visit a Guzzi dealer. My nearest is 190 miles and three states distant. If there were more Guzzis around my area, I'd just fly a tech in for a week and save us all a bunch of cash and aggravation...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 01:04:46 PM »
Wonderful business strategy.  :violent1:

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 01:22:27 PM »
Your first point... have heard that from a couple of dealers, even going so far as to questioning why Canadian dealers aren't buying more bikes in winter.

So, Guzzi wants the sales... but does very little to help those dealers to sell the product on the retail side. Seems like an odd strategy.

However, if they're meeting the numbers that keep them happy, so be it, I guess.

Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 04:41:48 PM »
Appia? Which one?!

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 08:26:36 PM »
Seems they (Livermore dealer) were a good Moto Guzzi service place (I've heard one guy that has been super happy with them).  Spirit just became a MG dealer 4 ish months back, so not sure how many Griso's have been through there for maintenance.  They did sell 3 new Griso's in ~3 months. 

What service is due?  When I called around for my first service on my Racer I was getting prices around $550.  Ouchie!  So I did it myself. 
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 07:48:53 AM »
Well I call California Speed Sports in Livermore CA. to schedule routine maintenance for my Griso8V.  They told me that they are dropping Guzzi due to:
2.  They did not sell very many last year, I think she told me they sold 11 last year (but not sure so dont quote me on it) in any case they did not sell very many. 
Bummer they were a good dealer with nice people.  I guess I will call up Spirit Motorcycles in San Jose.  They are a Guzzi dealer and looks like they have MG's on the floor so I will give them a call. 
The up side for me is that Spirit is closer than Calif. Speed Sports.  We will see...Maybe I should just listen to my friend and buy a BMW...

"Moto Guzzi - Going out of business since 1921..."  :shocked: :shocked: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :wink:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline bodine99

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 09:18:11 AM »
The Red Ember in Daytona Beach dropped Royal Enfield for that reason and other corporate BS. Still a Vespa dealer and sells a lot of them

Offline Griso8V

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 01:47:23 PM »
Appia? Which one?!
Currently I am restoring a Appia Vignale Convertible, 1959.  I have a 1960 Appia Berlina that I restored about 10 years ago.  The Berlina is very close to concours condition; it came out very nice. 
I also have a Lancia Flavia Pinnifarina Coupe, which is also in very good condition.
I am a Lancia and Guzzi nut case I guess...

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 12:24:06 AM »
OP....

I visited California Speed Sports a few times over the last 5 years. They seemed like a small shop. The times I visited I saw only a Norge and Griso on the floor. Only 2 Guzzis on display. They seemed not too interested in MG. I never had any service done.

I have been to Elk Grove Power Sports many times. They have at least a dozen MG's on display. Two years ago I brought my daughter there and she bought a new 2016 V7II Special. I've had my Stelvio serviced there (shock link recall). They have a good service department. If you haven't been there you should visit if you're looking for a MG dealer.
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 06:30:36 AM »
Currently I am restoring a Appia Vignale Convertible, 1959.  I have a 1960 Appia Berlina that I restored about 10 years ago.  The Berlina is very close to concours condition; it came out very nice. 
I also have a Lancia Flavia Pinnifarina Coupe, which is also in very good condition.
I am a Lancia and Guzzi nut case I guess...

I had a Zagato GTE, I've loved Lancia for a long time. I have successfully resisted owning many but some models are dear to my heart.

Offline Griso8V

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2019, 11:40:14 AM »
OP....

I visited California Speed Sports a few times over the last 5 years. They seemed like a small shop. The times I visited I saw only a Norge and Griso on the floor. Only 2 Guzzis on display. They seemed not too interested in MG. I never had any service done.

I have been to Elk Grove Power Sports many times. They have at least a dozen MG's on display. Two years ago I brought my daughter there and she bought a new 2016 V7II Special. I've had my Stelvio serviced there (shock link recall). They have a good service department. If you haven't been there you should visit if you're looking for a MG dealer.
Every time I have been in there they have quite a few Guzzi's mostly V7's of various kinds and a couple of the big bikes, like the MGX.  The staff have always been very nice to me.  The folks I just talked to said they like Guzzi's but just not selling that many to justify MG's demand that they buy and carry MORE bikes.  They only sold very few last year...I don't know, just what I have seen. 
Elk Grove??  It is a little too far for me, that is out in the Sacramento Valley, but I am sure they are good dealer.   I am in the South SF Bay Area.  We do have Spirit Motorcycles in San Jose which is actually closer to me than Cal Speed Sports in Livermore. 
We shall see...

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2019, 02:29:21 PM »
My multi marque dealer won't stock any MG accessories/misc "because the MG bikes are to different. We can order anything you want." Really? I can too.
Primarily Triumph focused, there are Triumph accessories/misc all over the walls. Seems to me Triumph has more than a few models. Oh well, at least they're only 45 miles away.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here