Author Topic: Fun to discuss-Jackal or Scout for cross-country trip..  (Read 9746 times)

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Fun to discuss-Jackal or Scout for cross-country trip..
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2015, 10:01:55 PM »
Hymes, the Scout can be had with various controls and bars, the reduced reach foot contols aren't quite as far back as a Jackal, but definitely a better place than the regular controls. I like the standard bars but there is a reduced reach bar too.

I do like air cooled bikes, but the heat off new air cooled machines is a bit of bother, the Scout is much more controlled-except for the rear pipe, it will roast the thighs of the short-and I have to admit I think the technology may have got to the point that a liquid cooled motor is probably going to be more reliable. We'll see.

As for a comparison-short, but I can elaborate-the Jackal is definitely the objective choice for an all-round bike. Better cornering clearance, better range, and better steering lock-that last one is a surprise, the Scout is like an old Ducati 900SS. I really have to push the bike down in low speed maneuvers to turn as tight as I like, and I drag pegs doing some of those maneuvers.

Objective Scout virtues-power of course. Obviously not in a high state of tune, the torque is everywhere. Also the Scout uses less fuel, often getting in excess of 50MPG during rides that the Jackal gets 45-47 or so. Scout geometry is really nice, the handling (meaning general feel) is delightful, and the low CG just gives it a big fun factor. It actually feels a lot like a  loop-frame Guzzi, which is exactly why I got  it.

Subjectively, I like the way the Scout looks. It feels simple and stripped down, and having had the opportunity to sit on old 101 Scouts, it is a lot like the original in feel.

The Scout is a solo machine-we each bought pillion pads (mine as a luggage carrier, no pegs, she got pegs) and both are off-mine has been dismantled for use as a resting place for my Chase Harper topcase. The Jackal is our two-up rider.

The stock suspension on the Scout is fine for the intended purpose, but it is cheap, and if you try to play silly buggers it can get out of shape. Smart people will be fine.

I'm sure I'll come up with more, but the bottom line is this-I needed a mental health ride tonight, and the Scout was my choice. I didn't care about anything except that it was easy and fun to ride, more so than the Jackal or my Sport. Neither Guzzi will be leaving, the Sport 1100 is still my baby. But...

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2015, 05:16:04 AM »
 :thumb:
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2015, 06:34:10 AM »
So should I bring the Scout tot he National? I was planning on the Sport..

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2015, 07:04:43 AM »
So should I bring the Scout tot he National? I was planning on the Sport..

If I was still going, I'd have said YES!  :sad:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2015, 07:04:43 AM »

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2015, 07:53:46 AM »

This may help.

The guy on the guzzi looks about 7 foot tall!!!
Why is he sitting so far forward too?

« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 08:00:50 AM by Steph »

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2015, 07:02:28 AM »
More Guzzi content as our departure date nears..

I rode her Jackal to the National (she was on her Scout, no way I would ride my Sport behind her and I had to take a Guzzi) and found the ride very nice-but the legs were more cramped than I recall.

Then I took out a 1400 custom from Seacoast on demo-great bike, and surprisingly the seating is a lot like a Scout when you move your feet toward the front of the boards. What a cool machine, I would take one over a Chief really.

And-I took the time to set my Scout rear shocks per the manual. That made a huge difference, and I realized that every Scout rider on their forum has their shocks set too hard.

Forks still feel like V700 forks, and the front geometry is surprisingly similar!

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2015, 07:18:37 AM »
More Guzzi content as our departure date nears..

I rode her Jackal to the National (she was on her Scout, no way I would ride my Sport behind her and I had to take a Guzzi) and found the ride very nice-but the legs were more cramped than I recall.

Then I took out a 1400 custom from Seacoast on demo-great bike, and surprisingly the seating is a lot like a Scout when you move your feet toward the front of the boards. What a cool machine, I would take one over a Chief really.

And-I took the time to set my Scout rear shocks per the manual. That made a huge difference, and I realized that every Scout rider on their forum has their shocks set too hard.

Forks still feel like V700 forks, and the front geometry is surprisingly similar!

:thumb:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here