Author Topic: trip update #1  (Read 7052 times)

Offline jagwillie

• Hatchling
Re: trip update #1
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2016, 08:54:27 AM »
RK,
If I had to venture a guess on your bolt situation, I would say you have some harmonics involved not shear taking the heads off. I've seen similar happenings in racing snowmobile engines where the vibrations popped the heads off grade 8 bolts. I can't give you a suggestion where to look, maybe something needs to be rubber mounted.
Bill Bassett
1973 Eldorado
2009 V7C Wife's bike, "Pearl"
2010 Kawasaki Concours/Hannigan HP Sidecar
2016 BMW R1200RS
1983 BMW R100CS
Seeley MK III Goldstar 600
1951 Velocette Alloy Mac (wife's bike)
1966 Velocette Venom

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2016, 10:48:47 AM »
There was a harmonic -- I found it in my gas tank.  I got bad fuel twice between Seattle and John Day and both times I was down to running on one pot intermittently.  Add two mountain passes, three digits of temperature and a heavy throttle hand and there you go?

No, I drilled each bolt once.  The heads were popped.  One part of the shafts were still neatly in the flywheel holes.  The other part was shared flush or slightly underflush in the crank.  I taped out the par in the flywheel with a drift and reverse-drilled the parts that were in the flywheel.  They were not loose.  Reverse drilling did not move them.  I had to use screw extractors.  Blue Loctite was present.

kirby1923

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2016, 11:01:31 AM »
Starting to make sense!
One more question, Do you have the standard heavy fly wheel or a lighter one?

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2016, 11:10:19 AM »
Kirby has a point. I loosely followed the build, and know you have a weird  :smiley: non transmission. Torsional loads have broken many aircraft prop bolts.. that's why they are certified with only certain metal props. If there is an extension, all bets are off.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2016, 11:10:19 AM »

Offline Charles in Lake Charles

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2016, 11:18:26 AM »
If I need to get into the clutch or torque converter in the future, I'll try some ARP metric flywheel bolts. They're easy to get online or at any speed shop.
TOYS:
98 Yellow Centauro, 93 SPIII, 1978 LeMans,
1977 Convert, 1975 850-T (FOR SALE),
1985 Harley FLTC, 1985 K100RT
2001 Lees-ure Lite Camper,
1988 Mercedes 560SL

kirby1923

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2016, 11:27:01 AM »
Back in my engine design days I saw what harmonics can do on aircraft engines (piston) while being run on a dyno with sensors. Putting extensions on the crank really can change the whole game.
Some scary and unusual things can happen even on heavy auto engines.
:-)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2016, 01:44:29 PM »
I have the heavy flywheel.  There are no index pins, but three or six wouldn't ruin my day.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2016, 11:37:54 PM »
Got the rear shocks installed and a few other details.  Lost LF turn light -- broke a wire.  Gotta get tat fixed. 

Also, left plug looking dirty.  BPR6ES with copper core wire and ngk plug ends.  Leaves me wondering if a resistor plug with the ngk cap is a good idea.  Who's got a thought on that?

Otherwise ready to roll for deep forest.  After that, points east.

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2016, 05:01:30 AM »
Good meeting you today RK!

Sorry to hear about the poor treatment from the dealer. I'm beginning to understand better why Matt doesn't work there any more. He was pretty polite in his description to me about that.

As for running resistor caps with resistor plugs I've heard it's not a good idea on the BMWs I'm used to. Are they both 5K ohm? 10K total?

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2016, 08:37:14 AM »
IMO: resistor plug or resistor cap, but not both. I use the NGK LB05F caps with BP6ES plugs.
Charlie

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2016, 10:09:39 AM »
I vote for caps with copper core wire, 5K

I can still remember when they were introduced to cut down on TV interference, as far as I know they have no benefit for the engine, I may be wrong there.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 10:12:47 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2016, 10:59:07 AM »
It was explained to us by ngk that resistor ignition was for RFI control -- The FCC decided civil defense was compromised -- it wasn't like GM cared about your television or radio.  Even today the fcc has limits on rf leakage out of things like computers and microwaves and virtually all component subassemblies of electronic devices have an FCC ID number that is unique to that part.  If you ever have a circuit board you can't ID, search it on the fcc database.  It will be there.

All that said, I remembered that I got the R plugs when the store didn't have the regular kind.  I should have caught that earlier.

Offline Mike Tashjian

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2016, 03:11:28 PM »
Resistance in spark plug circuits cuts down on multiple sparks from the coil. It encourages the ignition to throw a better spark and at a more consistent time.  I would encourage you to use some resistance either in the cap or plug.  Mike   

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2016, 04:43:01 PM »
Good advice, Mike, and I am replacing the lugs with non-r, but keeping the r-caps.  Headed for a test ride now.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2016, 05:11:19 PM »
Good to hear that you're back on the road.  Sorry to hear of your treatment with the Portland bike seller.  I won't be going there either because I have an older bike too.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 05:11:48 PM by Tom »
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here