Author Topic: Introductions thread...Introduce yourself to the group !  (Read 1093148 times)

Offline Laker

• New Egg
Re: Introductions thread...Introduce yourself to the group !
« Reply #2220 on: December 04, 2016, 08:53:29 PM »
That's it! That was me on my Aprilia and my cousin on my Griso.  I sold both of those bikes shortly after the trip and miss them. I'm itching for another Goose.
Tim Powers
Austin, TX

2013 V7 Special (wife's bike)
2015 Ducati Multistrada S Touring
2015 Piaggio Fly 150
2016 Aprilia Tuono Factory

oldbike54

« Reply #2221 on: December 04, 2016, 08:56:45 PM »
That's it! That was me on my Aprilia and my cousin on my Griso.  I sold both of those bikes shortly after the trip and miss them. I'm itching for another Goose.

Watch the general discussion , I'll post up a pic of you from the JN Smyth thread . Glad you joined us, seems like we talked about WG that day  :thumb:

Dusty

Offline Byrdock

• New Egg
« Reply #2222 on: December 05, 2016, 08:48:48 PM »
Hello from a Guzzi newbie in NC. My name's Jim and I recently picked up a 2007 Breva 1100 with 9900 miles. I got it so the boss would have something besides a cruiser to ride since she likes riding in the mountains now. AND I've been wanting one since I saw one up close! It fits in nicely with my Buell. Thanks for all the valuable info here.

kenmoore

« Reply #2223 on: December 06, 2016, 02:11:33 AM »
Hi All,

My name is Ken.

I am 59

Married

Like surfing and motorcycles. I am a tragic for both. A bit of a contradiction I know.

I live on the South Coast of New South Wales Australia very near to some famous mountain roads.

I am here for a friend who has a California Aluminium Sport Special.

His bike is in a sad state with over 100,000 miles on it. I helped him do the gearbox and clutch on it about 8,000 miles ago and was impressed at how solidly this bike was engineered. It amazed me as to how well it goes as it hasn't been loved and has seen the Tarmac on more than one occasion and looks rugged.

Still goes like stink which helps. It gives my modded VTR a run up to 220, after that it's adios amigo !

I am researching what to do with it to make it into something special for him. I ride with him on a regular basis and he has owned the bike for as long as I can remember. The bike has been modified somewhat and is not a slouch on the road.

It shines in rough road conditions and I can only put that down to the 18" front wheel .It handles the undulations and pot holes better than my bike.

I like resurrecting bikes with modifications that suit the genre. I am stumped with this machine and will be seeking plenty of help from forum members.

Maybe some new paint , some new pipes, engine tuning, a bit of work on the rear end as the shocks are knackered. The bike wallows in corners and my mates answer to it is to get on the gas and ride through it.

Just about everything I look at is very worn and tatty in appearance.

When the bike comes into my Man Cave it will keep some interesting machinery company.

Here are some of them.

I don't own all of them but work on them to keep them going and to be enjoyed by their owners.

I am a V Twin tragic .

This is mine, sorry it's not Italian but I like it

Here is a Bimota Db1!fitted with a 900SS motor and 17" wheels that I am restoring for a friend.

I have rebuilt the motor with new Pistons, rings, slipper clutch , Dellorto PHM40s, new valve guides, reseated valves, stem seals etc as well as painted the swingarm and fork legs. There is still a bit to do but after 4 months it is almost finished. A lot of new wiring, wheel bearings, fork service and after numerous other things she is almost ready to go.

The 848 you see in the picture has been a constant companion for the last 4 years.

Regular visitors include a couple of Apes

And there is an X75 that I am restoring for a mate.

So as you can see motorcycles are a big part of my life and after restoring / refurbishing many motorcycles as well as having owned 43 bikes myself I feel able to do a makeover for my friend in the new year.

I will start a post when I get going and assure you that any help, suggestions or advice will be appreciated as I have never worked on a Guzzi before.

I can also assure you that I will also participate in this forum and hope to make some new connections

For now I will be a bit of a lurker until I get the Guzzi in the Cave and be assured there will be plenty of questions when this happens, particularly in relation to parts procurement.

I can also paint, weld , wrench , and have a mate with a lathe and milling machine that is happy to help.

Cheers for Now from Down Under.

Ken

« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 03:56:18 AM by kenmoore »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #2223 on: December 06, 2016, 02:11:33 AM »

Offline Laker

• New Egg
« Reply #2224 on: December 07, 2016, 06:20:02 PM »
Awesome bikes and introduction, Ken!
Tim Powers
Austin, TX

2013 V7 Special (wife's bike)
2015 Ducati Multistrada S Touring
2015 Piaggio Fly 150
2016 Aprilia Tuono Factory

Offline JACoH

• Gosling
« Reply #2225 on: December 09, 2016, 02:36:32 PM »
Hi kids,  Looking seriously at getting a new V7 III classic when available here in the Pacific Northwet, Oregon, USA.  I currently have a 2016 Indian Scout and a 2015 Piaggio BV350.  Bought the Scout this year instead of a V7, should have got the V7, but at least the improvements to the new III will make the wait worthwhile.  I don't like the feet forward riding position, but my wife preferred the Indian looks! I have been riding for 52 years, the new MG will be bike # 35 for me. I wish the classic was red but the blue is nice. Hope to get lots of tips here.

Offline TimFrazier

• New Egg
    • Grapevine K9
Just bought my first Moto Guzzi - a 2011 GT 8v Norge
« Reply #2226 on: December 15, 2016, 08:28:42 PM »
Hello everyone.  I'm a long time Triumph Rocket III Classic owner and two weeks ago purchased a used Norge GT 8v to add to my garage.  I haven't had a chance to really get out and ride it beyond the test ride because I sent it straight to the shop to have the cam follower replacement/upgrade done.  I hope to be on the road enjoying it within the next three weeks.

I own a dog training business, http://www.grapevinek9.com in Grapevine, Texas.  I've been training dogs for 30 years.  I've also had previous careers as a police K9 officer and an IT service delivery manager for two IT outsourcing corporations.

My favorite rides are the Talimena Scenic Byway in Oklahoma and Arkansas and the Three Twisted Sisters in the Texas Hill Country.

My daily commute is on the Triumph Rocket III Classic, but that's going to change to the Norge as soon as I get her home from the shop.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 11:42:09 AM by TimFrazier »

oldbike54

« Reply #2227 on: December 15, 2016, 08:49:13 PM »
 Oh hell another Texan  :laugh: Welcome Tim , I think you mean the Talimena drive .

Dusty

Offline skimbrie

• New Egg
« Reply #2228 on: December 16, 2016, 04:23:33 PM »
Hi All,

My searches for Guzzi info kept landing here so I figured I should be good citizen and join in the odd chance I have some answers and not just questions.

Currently have 2 Guzzis: a '69 V7 and a '14 Stelvio 1200 8v.

I never walk or drive when I can ride.

Look forward to meeting y'all.

-Scott K.

-Scott K.
'20 v85tt

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #2229 on: December 27, 2016, 12:29:12 PM »
Hi All,

My searches for Guzzi info kept landing here so I figured I should be good citizen and join in the odd chance I have some answers and not just questions.

Currently have 2 Guzzis: a '69 V7 and a '14 Stelvio 1200 8v.

I never walk or drive when I can ride.

Look forward to meeting y'all.

-Scott K.

Welcome Scott. Your V700 looks familiar, like one I worked on years ago for a local guy who had it "on loan" from Velocity Motorcycles of Richmond, VA.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 12:30:26 PM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline skimbrie

• New Egg
« Reply #2230 on: December 27, 2016, 05:56:12 PM »
@Antietam Classic Cycles,

Bingo. Same bike. I bought it from Velocity.

-Scott K.
-Scott K.
'20 v85tt

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #2231 on: December 27, 2016, 08:18:28 PM »
@Antietam Classic Cycles,

Bingo. Same bike. I bought it from Velocity.

-Scott K.

Cool. Wondered what ever happened to it.
Charlie

Offline redhawk47

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Traveler
« Reply #2232 on: December 28, 2016, 11:21:41 PM »
RedHawk 47 - Bought a Stelvio in June and put 8000 miles on it - so far.
67, Berthoud, Colorado
Retired mechanical/manufacturing engineer and small business owner - Abrasive Waterjet Cutting Services
Having fun as an Artist Blacksmith and riding motorcycles.
2013 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2009 BMW F800GS - for sale
1999 Kawasaki KLR 650
1983 Kawasaki KL250 bought this fall with 3005 miles, clean

Update: I put 16,000 miles on the Stelvio and really enjoyed it. It was great on the highway and in the twisties. But I like to ride off pavement too (when I see an interesting road I like to be able to ride it) and I was afraid on dropping it and not being able to pick it up (I often travel alone). I have fallen in love with Moto Guzzis, so I down sized, or right sized, trading the Stelvio in on a V7II Stone. I am very pleased with it, and am kitting it for touring. I probably will have to have the seat modified to raise it so my knees are not bent as much.
The F800GS and KL250 are gone, and replaced by a CSC RX3 and a CSC TT250.
Dan
2021 V85TT Centenario, 2016 V7II Stone, CSC TT250, Gone:KLR, CSC RX3,

Offline zebraranger

• Gosling
« Reply #2233 on: January 02, 2017, 12:55:27 PM »
Hello Everyone,
My name is Rick and I live on the on the West Gulf coast of Florida and I'm a new member here, but also a long time rider. I've always loved the classic looks of the Guzzi's, but never owned one until about a month ago. Five of my last seven bikes were Triumphs. But, I stopped by the local Guzzi dealer, sat on a California, then saw the Griso and I was hit with the Guzzi bug. Its not a classic yet, but I think its destined to be. After buying and riding this 2016 Griso for the last month, I'm a Guzzi believer. I did a lot of reading here before joining the forum and before buying. Thank you all for the information, and thanks for having me here.

My recently purchased Guzzi. I've added the tool/saddlebags with some brackets that I made up, a Dart flyscreen and a stainless steel oil cooler cover that I painted satin black.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 12:58:29 PM by zebraranger »

oldbike54

« Reply #2234 on: January 02, 2017, 04:35:39 PM »
 Welcome Rick , bike looks like a rider to me  :thumb:

Dusty

Offline Pisano

• Hatchling
« Reply #2235 on: January 04, 2017, 09:17:49 AM »
Welcome to the forum Rick. 

That's a great looking bike and I love the tool / saddle bags you have there.  Can you please share what you made for the brackets to hold them?  It would be appreciated as I was thinking on doing the same on my Griso  ( when I get it ). 

Thanks

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2236 on: January 04, 2017, 10:30:59 AM »
Update: I put 16,000 miles on the Stelvio and really enjoyed it. It was great on the highway and in the twisties. But I like to ride off pavement too (when I see an interesting road I like to be able to ride it) and I was afraid on dropping it and not being able to pick it up (I often travel alone).

That's certainly a reasonable concern.   I really don't like to point my Stelvio up a steep track where I don't know if/how it ends ... you have to stop that thing on a side hill, and it goes over, you're not getting back up until you can train a bear to help you, depending on how it's laying.

The Stelvio is strictly for the highway for me, and something in the 400 pound or less range will get the call when the trail gets rough and steep ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline zebraranger

• Gosling
« Reply #2237 on: January 04, 2017, 07:36:04 PM »
Welcome to the forum Rick. 

That's a great looking bike and I love the tool / saddle bags you have there.  Can you please share what you made for the brackets to hold them?  It would be appreciated as I was thinking on doing the same on my Griso  ( when I get it ). 

Thanks

Hi Norm,
I Got the tool bags at the local Cycle Gear store. They were on sale for $20 bucks a piece. They have two sizes, 8" and 12", I used the 12" bags. They're tool bags designed to mount to the front forks of cruisers, so they have two reinforced slits and straps on each bag that are used to attach to the forks. I just went to the local hardware store and purchased four 4" L shaped brackets, I painted them flat black (last step after bending and elongating the bolt holes). I slightly bent the brackets outward by about 5 or 6 degrees and slid them into the two slits on each bag, I also slightly bent them to angle towards the mounting bolt holes since they are further apart than the slits on the back of each bag. I then bolted each bracket to the bag towards the bottom (thru the rigid back panel on the inside of bag). I used a larger flat washer on the inside of the bag and a lock washer on the nut side. Prior to attaching the L-shaped brackets, I elongated the bolt holes in the rear of the brackets so that once I attached them to the bungee cord bolts under the fender, I could adjust them to where I wanted the bags before tightening them down. I used the bungee cord knobs and bolts as the fastener point.

This is a photo of the right side bag before bolting to the bungee cord bolts underneath the fender on the right side. In this top view photo of the bag sitting on a black seat, you can see the bolts at the bottom of the bag on the bottom of each bracket. The slits hold the bag tightly to the bracket at the top. You'll also notice that I elongated the bolt holes at the rear of the brackets more than the front bracket bolt hole. This is because the rear end of the GRiSO tapers inwards at the rear, I wanted to be able to compensate for this angle and pull the bag out a little at the rear (just looks better). Once bolted in place, they're solid as a rock and look the same on both sides. The straps can be removed and really don't do anything to hold the bags in place. The whole thing cost about $48 bucks both bags installed, pretty cheap project.

Offline Pisano

• Hatchling
« Reply #2238 on: January 05, 2017, 09:11:47 AM »
thanks for the details Rick.  Nice work!

Offline andandy

• Non Periodo Corretto.
  • New Egg
« Reply #2239 on: January 05, 2017, 11:50:26 AM »
Hi All,
Andy - 37 - Seattle, WA (displaced Texan)
We moved to WA in May when it was beautiful, and the rug got pulled out from my riding time with this crappy ice and rain that doesn't seem to stop.  So... lots of shop time.

The wrenching obsession has infiltrated my life and when people ask about my motorcycle (singular), my wife rolls her eyes.  I've managed to slowly swap all my Japanese bikes for Italians, with the exception of my /5 daily.  My first Guzzi was/is a Stornello 125 single.

I brought a couple of Italians back from Texas after Xmas this year - a 77 Moto Morini 3 1/2 and a Guzzi Ambassador with a full Wixom kit and dashboard.  I have a couple questions about the Ambo - will post in a new thread.  The dash has all the gauges; tach, speedo, oil and amps, and I can already tell there will be some "custom" wiring retrofitting.

Looking forward to getting this big guy back on the road.
Ducati E900
Ducati Paso
Ducati Monza Jr. 160
Moto Guzzi Stornello 125
Moto Guzzi Ambassador
Moto Morini 3 1/2
BMW R75/5
Vespa GL150
BSA A65

Offline gadelson

• New Egg
New group member from Vancouver BC saying hello!
« Reply #2240 on: January 07, 2017, 12:50:19 PM »
Hi everyone!

I'm 62 and have been riding Harley's for most of my riding life, but am ready to try something else for what will most likely be my last bike purchase. I've been leaning toward a BMW R1200RT... until I saw a Norge GT8V at my local dealer! I've been attempting to do my due diligence in reading up on both, but there are far fewer sites and forums related to Moto Guzzi and the Norge in particular.

Just wondering what the pros and cons are of the Norge in the opinion of those who own them?

Cheers!

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
Re: New group member from Vancouver BC saying hello!
« Reply #2241 on: January 08, 2017, 10:25:31 AM »
Hi everyone!

I'm 62 and have been riding Harley's for most of my riding life, but am ready to try something else for what will most likely be my last bike purchase. I've been leaning toward a BMW R1200RT... until I saw a Norge GT8V at my local dealer! I've been attempting to do my due diligence in reading up on both, but there are far fewer sites and forums related to Moto Guzzi and the Norge in particular.

Just wondering what the pros and cons are of the Norge in the opinion of those who own them?

Cheers!

A test ride on a Moto Guzzi should last at a least 50 - 100 miles. They don't get broken in until 10,000 miles.
I have a Breva 1100 which is a Norge without the fairing, great bike. Maybe someone in your area will swap bikes with you on a ride so that you can experience what we mean, that once you ride one it's the brand of bike to own. You'll probably buy another one.

Dean
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 10:38:57 AM by Dean Rose »
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline Markinlv

• New Egg
Hi from new member from Las Vegas
« Reply #2242 on: January 09, 2017, 08:55:36 AM »
Hi everyone,

My name is Mark and I am a 47 college student and brand new to riding.  I just got an endorsement last month and tried to start on a Honda Rebel 250.  That lasted approximately three weeks before I went out and bought a Moto Guzzi V7 II Stone.  I had actually went to the dealership to test ride a BMW F800 and instead took a V7 for a 50 mile test ride and fell in love.  Thanks to this forum I have already picked up luggage and am now scouring the posts to find a suitable windscreen. 

oldbike54

Re: Hi from new member from Las Vegas
« Reply #2243 on: January 09, 2017, 12:07:11 PM »
Hi everyone,

My name is Mark and I am a 47 college student and brand new to riding.  I just got an endorsement last month and tried to start on a Honda Rebel 250.  That lasted approximately three weeks before I went out and bought a Moto Guzzi V7 II Stone.  I had actually went to the dealership to test ride a BMW F800 and instead took a V7 for a 50 mile test ride and fell in love.  Thanks to this forum I have already picked up luggage and am now scouring the posts to find a suitable windscreen.

Are you a 47 year old college student , that is pretty cool . Anyway welcome to the board  :thumb:

Dusty

Offline Psychler62

• New Egg
« Reply #2244 on: January 09, 2017, 08:26:31 PM »
I own a 2011 Aguila Nera California Classic 1100, modified.

I love my Aguila Nera.
My Aguila Nera does not always love me.
You may be tempted to say this is much like marriage.
But I can shut off the motorcycle and lock it in the garage for days
So, there's that ...

Offline Dirk Mangartz

• New Egg
« Reply #2245 on: January 10, 2017, 07:19:42 AM »
Hello,
Hello,
I‘m Dirk, 52, journalist from Germany and crazy about Moto Guzzi.
My "special subject" is the Corpo Corazzieri models. Thats why I own three original V7/700 Corazzieri.

Other current motorcycles:
Moto Guzzi Airone
Moto Guzzi GTV
Moto Guzzi Nuovo Falcone
Moto Guzzi V7
Moto Guzzi Ambassador
Moto Guzzi 750S
Moto Guzzi Le Mans III

Offline Psychler62

• New Egg
« Reply #2246 on: January 10, 2017, 10:08:12 AM »
Geoff Mohan
Journalist
Los Angeles area

Offline PappyV7

• New Egg
« Reply #2247 on: January 10, 2017, 08:05:32 PM »
Randall Booth
Tools and Equipment Dealer
Kechi, Kansas

current fleet:
03 Honda XR50R
81 Montesa Cota 349
71 AJS 410 Stormer
68 BSA 441 Shooting Star
04 Suzuki DR650SE
15 Moto Guzzi V7 Special

oldbike54

« Reply #2248 on: January 10, 2017, 08:19:07 PM »
 Welcome Pappy , you should consider coming to our Cedar Vale Kansas Knotanational Knotarally . Details on the board .

Dusty

Offline EncoreJoe

• New Egg
« Reply #2249 on: January 10, 2017, 10:05:41 PM »
Joe Fabrygel

Maintenance Director

55 years young on the gulf coast of Texas

I started riding at 43 and own a 2012 Stelvio NTX and Yamaha WR250R

Joe

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here