Author Topic: Last day with the Norge  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Scott of the Sahara

• Gaggle Mentor
Last day with the Norge
« on: August 01, 2022, 07:46:05 AM »
In 2010 I bought a New '08 Norge from Moto International. That was a happy day. This summer my Odometer shows 58,000 miles. A week ago I got into a pretty bad accident while coming home from a 3 day ride. About 60 miles from home and just after a fill up at a gas station, I was riding along about 35mph, enjoying the day and the next thing I know I am crashing, then the next thing I know I wake up on the side of the road with EMT guys talking to me. They took me to the ER and checked me out. Bruises and scrapes and a concussion.

My riding buddy was behind me and watched everything unfold. While driving along the highway the car in front of me straddled a wheel that was in the middle of the lane. No brakes nothing. I was looking around and did not see the wheel. I hit it and crashed left across 3 lanes with no cars in them and crashed onto the curb and into the ditch. I was thrown clear of the bike and landed in some blackberries. For about 10 minutes I was sitting there totally out of it. Then I came to.

So the Norge took quite a bit of damage to the right side Handle Bar, Hard Bag and fairing. Also the kickstand came off. The Bike is Totaled and the insurance would charge me $3,000 to buy the bike back, not leaving me enough money to fix it with.

Today the tow truck comes to take away the Norge.

My wife is OK with me getting another bike, but I must be able to flat foot it at the stop. No More Norge. I have a short 28" inseam. I was thinking a California, but I am going to go with an older Harley. Lots of them around and huge dealer support.

Offline Deno

• Gosling
Re: Last day with the Norge
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 07:53:46 AM »
Fortunately you sound like the recovery is going well physically and mentally. I hope it continues that way.
Good luck finding your new bike.

Offline gerryp

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 07:55:55 AM »
been there done that, sorry to hear about your accident and glad you survived. 

I too have a 28" inseam but I have no issue flatfooting my Guzzi V7 (wearing my Moto Boots).

When I was looking at Harleys the only one I could flat foot were the Sporters.

Try checking out a V7 (if you haven't already done so).

Regards,

Gerry

2015 Guzzi V7 Stone - Gloss Red

Online kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 07:59:20 AM »
Glad you're OK !

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 07:59:20 AM »

Offline Stretch

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 08:09:01 AM »
Geez!

Glad you're okay.  :grin:

There but for the grace of God go I........
We gotta pay attention out there, eh?

-Stretch
1967? Change Jiang M1M
1978 Yamaha SR500
1987 BMW K75S
2011 Kawasaki KLR650
2011 Triumph Rocket III Touring
2015 Triumph Trophy
2017 Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 09:39:56 AM »
I am very glad you came out OK, but sad for the Norge of course.  That was a close shave!!! :sad:

I might rethink the Harley choice.  Yes the seats are usually nice and low, but maneuvering one of those hippos around the garage became a daunting and dreaded experience, at least for me.   After 20 years of always having a Harley touring bike around I just sold my Electra Glide and was happy to see it go.  Perhaps it is the years piling up.  I am 68, fit and trim, but not as strong as I used to be.  The EG was a beautiful bike and for a super slab muncher it was wonderful, but I am so much happier on my Guzzis.  I just spent all day on my V7-850 and at the end of a hard ride I felt less fatigued than I have on any other bike, including the Hog. 
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2022, 10:01:17 AM »
Sorry to hear that...quite an accident.  Very lucky outcome indeed....hope you heal up fine.  Bon voyage Norge...sounds like it was a good companion for all of these years!
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Bigtime

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2022, 10:16:51 AM »
  Thank goodness you're going to be ok. I had a similar experience a couple years ago. A car I was following straddled a coyote carcass and never touched their brakes. A that same moment I checked my mirrors and hit the damn thing. Lucky, I hit it at a glancing blow and the mighty Stelvio just jumped sideways and and continued down the road as if nothing happened. As far as a replacement for the Norge, good luck. The Norge will be very hard to replace (I have a 09', and love it).

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2022, 10:48:01 AM »
Sounds like things could have gotten, glad you're OK. Bummer about the Norge, good luck on your next bike selection.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2022, 12:44:36 PM »
Really glad you are ok. That said, it's too early to be making decisions about the next bike. Give yourself time to heal and ruminate a bit. Like Dave said above, a Harley really is a pig to move around in the garage. Yeah, you can flat foot it..but. There's no hurry, take your time to make the decision. Just MHO.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2022, 12:57:38 PM »
Wow. Very glad you are recovering well. I bought my Griso from MI about the same time.

This brings to mind advice I have read to follow cars in the left tire track, rather than in the middle of the two tracks. I don't do it all the time, though, so this could have happened to me.

Have fun with your next bike.

Moto
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2022, 03:36:17 PM »
This brings to mind advice I have read to follow cars in the left tire track, rather than in the middle of the two tracks. I don't do it all the time, though, so this could have happened to me.

This is true. I try to ride in that zone, but sometimes I just hog the middle of the lane.  Focus

We gotta pay attention out there, eh?

One second of inattention....
thanks for all the kind words
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 03:37:44 PM by Scott of the Sahara »

Offline Pescatore

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2022, 04:47:28 PM »
Thanks for posting. This is a good reminder of what does happen.
And another reason for not riding the center, besides avoiding the muck.
Good luck with the recovery. I'm impressed you're eager to get back on.
2008 Norge 1200
1991 V65GT
1980 CM400T
MGNOC Member
Ascolta sempre e solo musica vera
E cerca sempre se puoi di capire

Offline rschrum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2022, 08:56:06 PM »
Glad you're ok. For the last few years, I ride in the right tire track. Gives me more time to react when that texter crosses the center line. But I ride exclusively on 2 lane county roads.
15 GRISO
00 ZX12r
07 Tuono Factory
01 ZRX 1200R
19 Monster 1200R
2012 MV Agusta Brutale 1090R
08 Ducati s4rs Tricolore
22 Indian FTR Championship
Central Iowa

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2022, 04:31:47 AM »
Heal fast. The Norge is a great bike; a hard act to follow. I'm on my second one, but, like you, I have short legs, plus I am getting up there in years. Though I still ride the Norge, it is getting a bit tall and top-heavy for me to handle comfortably. In anticipation of this issue, I bought an Indian Scout a few years ago: wonderful motor, very low seat, extremely easy to handle, relatively light; could use suspension upgrades. A few months ago I bought a V7 850 special: can flat-foot it and it is very light compared to the Norge. I am riding these other bikes more often than the Norge now.

Good luck with the purchase of your next bike.

Jon
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2022, 05:58:54 AM »
You're very lucky on that one, glad to hear you came out of it as well as you did, hope you take your time and give your body and head a chance to fully recover.

By the grace of God,situational awareness can be costly,btdt, 

You reminded of an ass puckering event when I was a young lad; I used to do high speed highway runs late at night in the dark, on my KZ900 to my parents place, I saw a long white line in my lane ahead that I thought was a roll of toilet paper that some kids had thrown on the road, so I didn't even slow down or move over into the other lane; it was only when I narrowly missed the heavy 6" brass coupling on the end of it that I realized it was a fire hose that had apparently fallen off the back end of a fire truck.

Sad to hear about your Norge, I agree with some of the comments re low seat and weight, My CalVin probably has the lowest seat height of my bikes, but it is definitely the heaviest , that's not an issue riding it, but I've had my moments moving it around the garage, up & off of the stands etc. It's the awkward moments when the weight is moving & falling away from your body and strength, I've scared myself a few times thinking I'd drop it. fwiw

Good luck & heal well

2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2022, 09:09:18 AM »
One reason I am looking at the Road King is the Crash Bars fore and aft. I pray that I never experience another crash, but if I do I want to be somewhat protected by the crash bars.
My friend crashed his Harley at about 30 MPH into the ditch, and was able to get up straighten the crash bar and continue with the ride.
If I didn't have the hard bags attached to the Norge, my leg would have been badly injured.
I do like the California 1400 but I am not sure I trust it. The people who work on these things are not as plentiful as the Harley people. Plus the seat is about 1.5" to high. I have pics of me sitting on the California and one foot is not flat. I showed that to my wife and she said "not good enough"
I like the V9 or the V7 850 but they have a seat height of about 31" which is just too high.

Offline Pescatore

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2022, 09:18:17 AM »
We got jipped with the Norge.
The police version has crash bars.
A few more welds on the civilian frame and I would
have gladly paid to buy that accessory.
2008 Norge 1200
1991 V65GT
1980 CM400T
MGNOC Member
Ascolta sempre e solo musica vera
E cerca sempre se puoi di capire

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2022, 09:39:56 AM »

I am very glad you came out OK, but sad for the Norge of course.  That was a close shave!!! :sad:

I might rethink the Harley choice.  Yes the seats are usually nice and low, but maneuvering one of those hippos around the garage became a daunting and dreaded experience, at least for me.   After 20 years of always having a Harley touring bike around I just sold my Electra Glide and was happy to see it go.  Perhaps it is the years piling up.  I am 68, fit and trim, but not as strong as I used to be.  The EG was a beautiful bike and for a super slab muncher it was wonderful, but I am so much happier on my Guzzis.  I just spent all day on my V7-850 and at the end of a hard ride I felt less fatigued than I have on any other bike, including the Hog.

You're not wrong about the size, but remind me, did you have that Blue/White retro model with the sprung (Police type) seat? Because that seat adds something like 3" of height. A standard civilian seat is a game changer to pushing it around the garage.

That said even though I don't have a problem with the size I kinda think about the somewhat smaller Softail models sometimes just to save 100+ pounds.

Scott - I hear the crash bar thing. FWIW, you can always add them to other Harley models too. Just a thought, not that I don't love my beast of an RK.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2022, 11:32:10 AM »

Glad to hear you survived Scott, I’m sure you’ll miss the Norge, but thankfully you made it through it and are still interested in getting back on a bike. Many don’t.

You can put crash bars on the Norge, this is probably my all time favorite looking Norges, especially the Red.  A member here posted this several years ago, before he sold it to another member. I believe he used crash bars off a Griso . I hope he sees this and provides details of the modifications he did.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 01:11:57 PM by drdwb »
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Online mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2022, 12:54:57 PM »
What Mr. Swanson said !!

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2022, 02:33:58 PM »
PM sent Scott 👍

Dan

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2022, 04:36:29 PM »

You're not wrong about the size, but remind me, did you have that Blue/White retro model with the sprung (Police type) seat? Because that seat adds something like 3" of height. A standard civilian seat is a game changer to pushing it around the garage.

That said even though I don't have a problem with the size I kinda think about the somewhat smaller Softail models sometimes just to save 100+ pounds.

Scott - I hear the crash bar thing. FWIW, you can always add them to other Harley models too. Just a thought, not that I don't love my beast of an RK.

Nothing gets past you Kev!   :grin:  For a combination of reasons I just recently sold it.   I think it's a combo of getting older, and maybe a bit of a hangover yet from the triple bypass, but that heavy thing just wasn't calling my name anymore.  It was the most beautiful Electra Glide made in eons though.  I sold it quite easily for what I paid for it.  The new owner is thrilled and I am relieved that it is gone.   I will keep my vintage iron but the Revival was just too expensive of a bike to have sitting in the corner unused.

Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Online guzzi ride

• "One more day I find myself alive Tomorrow maybe go beneath the ground" Garcia/Hunter
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2022, 05:17:01 PM »
Sorry to see this Scott. Hope you heal fast and ride again soon.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2022, 06:55:21 PM »
What colour is/was your Norge ?

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2022, 07:28:56 AM »
The 08 Norge was Black. That was my only regret, that I did not wait until another color was available. Red would have been my first choice, then Silver. I really do not like Black.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2022, 07:42:05 AM »
The 08 Norge was Black. That was my only regret, that I did not wait until another color was available. Red would have been my first choice, then Silver. I really do not like Black.
Mine is a red ‘07 and I wondered if you had the bike to part out.
I would have bought the fairing panels.

Online SemperVee

• My life will be told in MC people and experiences more than anything else.
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • USMC Retired
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2022, 09:38:50 AM »
We got jipped with the Norge.
The police version has crash bars.
A few more welds on the civilian frame and I would
have gladly paid to buy that accessory.

SO sorry about your crash but let me put in a good word for your next new bike - something that comes with both front and rear  strong and chrome crash bars that won't let the bike fall over  very far as I have tipped it over twice in my garage, NO Damage and was able to lift it up and I am 67 years old with short legs also.  You simply cannot find more bike for the money then with a Victory of any model.  Mine is a 2012 Cross Country Tour with the Trunk removed. Very reliable and parts are available even as production stopped, like old guzzi's, there are parts to be had.

definite smileys
2007 MG Norge - Hi Ho Silver! - La Dolce Vita
CalSci Tall Windshield
Heli-Bars
Matris Fork + SAG set
Eibach Rear spring
Salamander HB ends
K&N  filter
StainTune pipe
Metal gas fltr
Givi Rear rack
Givi V46 Box and Rack
Startus Interuptus
Napoleon Mirrors
Grip Puppies

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2022, 09:53:27 AM »
I can also attest to the goodness of the Victory line.  I put 25,000 miles on a 2007 Kingpin Tour Deluxe in about 4 years.  The only item other than oil, plugs, filters and tires was a throttle cable that frayed and had to be replaced.  Most reliable bike ever owned next to my V85 which seems to have those same reliable tendencies at least through 22,000 miles.  Even though it may have the crash bars, they are quite heavy.  My King was 750 lbs.
Blue Guzz

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2022, 09:54:32 AM »
Nothing gets past you Kev!   :grin:  For a combination of reasons I just recently sold it.   I think it's a combo of getting older, and maybe a bit of a hangover yet from the triple bypass, but that heavy thing just wasn't calling my name anymore.  It was the most beautiful Electra Glide made in eons though.  I sold it quite easily for what I paid for it.  The new owner is thrilled and I am relieved that it is gone.   I will keep my vintage iron but the Revival was just too expensive of a bike to have sitting in the corner unused.

GAWD that's a gorgeous bike. But I get it.

I spent a few minutes this morning looking again at the Heritage (comes in Blue/Black 2-tone too or Pearl White - oh my) wondering if it might not be a better size long LONG term. I just wish it had dual discs... I really think that's my last objection/hold out.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here