Author Topic: NGC-Oil change interval on car  (Read 3888 times)

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
NGC-Oil change interval on car
« on: December 11, 2018, 02:26:22 PM »
I’m waiting at the dealership where I got my 2018 new vehicle for the first oil change and I’m confused.They say for the warrenty to stay in effect it must have synthetic oil and be changed every 6000 miles or 6 months whichever comes first.So conceivably if I drive say 2000 miles  a year every 6 months they are changing that oil out with only 1000 miles on it.I understand dealerships are always after the $ but that is the warrenty.My bike which has to be harder on the oil doesn’t have a time limit on the oil only a mileage spec.It seems out of wack.

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
Re: NGC-Oil change interval on car
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 02:41:30 PM »
Whatever is said in the Owners Manual Service Schedule is the requirement.  I can well imagine that the dealer is wrong, that is par for the course.

Dealer service is not required, but keep the receipt from whoever does it, including a receipt that shows the type oil used.

I’ve never used dealers for car oil changes.  I have an excellent oil change place nearby that has no issue with me providing Mobil 1 Synthetic from Walmart.  I’ve been using them for 10 or 15 years through several new cars.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 02:46:17 PM by Tusayan »

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 03:21:57 PM »
In the 1980s I had a Dodge Turbo Colt for a few years. I would take it to a Montgomery Wards Auto shop for oil changes with Mobil I . At the time the idea was between 2-3K miles to change the filter only and add the difference of less than a quart of oil and at 15K change all the oil. No matter how big of letters were used on the work order for instructions they would ALWAYS end up draining all the oil and replacing it. So I would always get four quarts for the price of one. Car fell apart but the engine was in great shape.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 03:44:36 PM »
Keep in mind, regardless of how few miles, condensation isn't good.
synthetic oil is worth the extra cost, even if the warrantee didn't require it.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 03:44:36 PM »

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 04:03:01 PM »
Keep in mind, regardless of how few miles, condensation isn't good.
synthetic oil is worth the extra cost, even if the warrantee didn't require it.

Sure but it's unlikely under normal conditions in modern autos and honesty 6 months on synthetic is ridiculously conservative.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Gustavo

• New Egg
  • Motociclista Errante
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 04:03:26 PM »
As Tusayan mentioned, what does the owner's manual say?  That's what you have to do to keep the warranty.  You can do it in your driveway and as long as you can show it was done per that schedule and using the oil they recommend, you are covered.

If the owner's manual doesn't specifically say use synthetic, you don't have to.  If you drive that few miles a year, it's probably a waste of money if not required. 

Gustavo

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 04:12:34 PM »
Six month oil change intervals with $60 worth of synthetic each time is just "the price of poker" when you're buying 2018 cars.

Either pay the price and keep a valid warranty, or do it the way you like and don't keep the warranty.   I don't think there's another choice unless the dealer agrees to let you slide, go with "plan B" consistent with the long life of synthetic oil, and wink at the warranty requirement ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 04:18:06 PM »
Six month intervals in a modern car with modern oil? Ludicrous, and I will bet (seriously, I will) that the manual says nothing of the sort.

Please tell us the brand of delicate vehicle that needs only the finest nectar in the sump.

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 04:18:15 PM »
Six month oil change intervals with $60 worth of synthetic each time is just "the price of poker" when you're buying 2018 cars.

Either pay the price and keep a valid warranty, or do it the way you like and don't keep the warranty.   I don't think there's another choice unless the dealer agrees to let you slide, go with "plan B" consistent with the long life of synthetic oil, and wink at the warranty requirement ....

Lannis
Yeah, don't want to mess with the warranty, they'll blame you regardless. Mobil 1 is only $30 at Walmart. Get a filter and do it yourself. Save the receipts.

stormshearon

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 04:57:11 PM »
THe dealer is NOT the person who gets to say what will void the warranty (maybe all should check out the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act for some pertinent information)  - it is the manufacturer. And the requirments for that are stated in the owners manual. You can have anyone do the maintenance on a vehicle as long as they  follow the guidelines in the owners manual.

So - what is the vehicle in question and what does the owners manual say?

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 05:32:23 PM »
THe dealer is NOT the person who gets to say what will void the warranty (maybe all should check out the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act for some pertinent information)  - it is the manufacturer.

I don't need to check any of the legal details, and the OP isn't talking to the manufacturer, who has no idea what is going on at the dealership.

I'm saying that if the dealership is working with their customer, and it's their customer's desire not to be saddled with what both they and the dealer knows is unreasonable maintenance "to maintain the warranty", then the dealer can do what they want to in order to satisfy their customer, and still keep the warranty in place.

Lord knows that our Guzzi dealers have had to link arms with us often enough and confront and outmaneuver Grinch Piaggio in order to keep our Guzzis running.   Car dealers can (and have, for me) do the same.

Lannis

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 05:36:36 PM »
2018 Subaru. Warranty and Maintenance manual states its up to me to follow the schedule listed-6 months or 6000 miles.

stormshearon

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 05:46:28 PM »
Then all you have to do is follow that schedule - you do not have to do it at the dealer. Just keep receipts and use the oil and filters specified in the manual.

Is this perhaps a Subaru with a turbo perchance?

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 05:54:14 PM »
No- I know the dealer isn’t required. I was just questioning synthetic oil being changed with so few miles.And the receipt says the oil is 0W20.And I thought 10-60 was weird.

stormshearon

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2018, 05:56:51 PM »
Most newer cars use 0-20w to help with fuel economy. And if the manual says synthetic, then use synthetic. Not doing that can void the warranty.

Offline Gustavo

• New Egg
  • Motociclista Errante
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2018, 05:58:41 PM »
Then all you have to do is follow that schedule - you do not have to do it at the dealer. Just keep receipts and use the oil and filters specified in the manual.

Is this perhaps a Subaru with a turbo perchance?

It surprised me, so I looked it up.  It seems like the normal maintenance schedule for all Subarus - 2.5, 3.6 and Turbo models.  They also require 0w-20 or 5w-30 synthetic on all but the 3.6 models (which apparently can use conventional oil, but on the same replacement schedule). 

Gustavo

Offline Craig in Alabama

• Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2018, 06:08:59 PM »
Hi Folks,

My 2011 Tacoma (4 cyl.) requires oil changes every 5,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first (synthetic 0-50). I think that's ridiculous, and after the first couple "free" oil changes, I started doing it myself at my preferred schedule. Since I only put a few thousand miles a year on it, I change the oil/filter once a year (synthetic). If I put more miles on it I'd change every 7,500 miles or so.

I think your Suby would be fine on a once a year schedule going that few miles. I seriously doubt you'll have any oil change related issues with that car.
 If it has a turbo, I don't know anything about those...

Cheers!
Craig
22 V85TT Travel
98 V11EV
05 Suzuki DL-650

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2018, 06:10:08 PM »
Have you researched the Subaru engine? When they changed over to a timing chain (around 2010-12) there have been thousands of claims of oil consumption and many new replacement engine blocks under warranty. They first make you do an oil consumption test but mostly they fail so the new block is ordered. I have not heard of a fix by Subaru, maybe they have by now but I'd be sure to follow the service schedule to the T and watch your level.  I wanted a new Subi until I heard about this failure so I'm keeping my 2008 Forester for now. It's a huge issue on the Subaru discussion sites. This the standard motor not the 6cyl or turbo models.

But, you could just buy oil and filter, save receipt and change it according to mileage not time, as long as you have purchase receipts they won't know if you really put it in every 6 months. use the excess in your bike.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

stormshearon

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 06:11:34 PM »
That is more often that my wife's 2007 Forester - and I can still use conventional oil.

However, after the last service at the dealer to 'fix' an oil leak (turned out to be the oil cooler - maybe) , and finding out that the 2.5 liter engine in her car has a potential manufacturing defect due to Subaru and Toyota making the head mating surfaces just big enough, possibly leading to premature head gasket failure, I won't ever buy another one, even though I generally like the cars and their all-wheel drive system.

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 06:56:08 PM »
I have heard of Subarus with issues-but this is crazy. My car and my motorcycle have 10,000 mile oil change intervals. I use them enough that time isn't close to being an issue but the car is a fairly lengthy time-even the bike says "annual".

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 07:16:21 PM »
My wife’s 2018 Impala mahal says change the oil once a year or when the computer tells you to. It does not give any specific mileage to do so.  Intervals are based completely on operating conditions.  Could be 2500 miles could be 8000, the brain knows!
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2018, 07:39:57 PM »
My jeeps tell me when to change the oil. There was an article in Car and Driver years ago about the "Bunkum" 3000 mile change sticker that Jiffy Lube and others attach to your window. The author was of the opinion that 6000 miles was the proper change time.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2018, 05:55:59 AM »
Have you researched the Subaru engine? When they changed over to a timing chain (around 2010-12) there have been thousands of claims of oil consumption and many new replacement engine blocks under warranty. They first make you do an oil consumption test but mostly they fail so the new block is ordered. I have not heard of a fix by Subaru, maybe they have by now but I'd be sure to follow the service schedule to the T and watch your level.  I wanted a new Subi until I heard about this failure so I'm keeping my 2008 Forester for now. It's a huge issue on the Subaru discussion sites. This the standard motor not the 6cyl or turbo models.

But, you could just buy oil and filter, save receipt and change it according to mileage not time, as long as you have purchase receipts they won't know if you really put it in every 6 months. use the excess in your bike.

Subaru..took them about 7 years to fix the blown head gasket issue resulting in several class action lawsuits..And the piston slap...Then they go right into oil usage problems?

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2018, 07:39:46 AM »
My 08 Dodge Ram has a nice little feature... the enginerds at Dodge figured out how to calculate oil life by measuring the engine temp, RPMs, load, etc... thus calculating how hard the motor has been run and for how long. This is all explained in the nice big book that was included in the glove box. The book says that under severe conditions, I could expect to get the "change oil soon" message as quickly as 2000 miles, but that most people will get the message somewhere between 4000 and 6000 miles. Mine generally comes up between 5000 and 5500. The truck has 106K miles on it now, engine runs beautifully, and it's always had good 5w-20 dino oil and fresh filters. I expect another 100k out of this old truck at least...

Point being, the folks who designed it know more about it than the folks who sold it. I'd stick with what they say to do, but make sure to keep your receipts for everything, and if you do your own service, write it down in the service history log in the back of the manual.
Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2018, 07:59:40 AM »
My 08 Dodge Ram has a nice little feature... the enginerds at Dodge figured out how to calculate oil life by measuring the engine temp, RPMs, load, etc... thus calculating how hard the motor has been run and for how long. This is all explained in the nice big book that was included in the glove box. The book says that under severe conditions, I could expect to get the "change oil soon" message as quickly as 2000 miles, but that most people will get the message somewhere between 4000 and 6000 miles. Mine generally comes up between 5000 and 5500. The truck has 106K miles on it now, engine runs beautifully, and it's always had good 5w-20 dino oil and fresh filters. I expect another 100k out of this old truck at least...

Point being, the folks who designed it know more about it than the folks who sold it. I'd stick with what they say to do, but make sure to keep your receipts for everything, and if you do your own service, write it down in the service history log in the back of the manual.

There are a bunch of vehicles that use these algorithms to monitor oil life these days. I actually would have assumed MOST vehicles do by now, but I'm too far removed from that market to have any real idea. From personal experience I know BMW and Mini have been doing it for more than a decade, and that most FCA products (including both our Jeeps do it). I believe I've heard about a bunch of GM products, and would have thought Ford was doing it by now too.

On our Mini Cooper the monitor would often take us out to 15000k+.

I ran a number of our Subarus on 10k changes, one for over 250k miles without a hint of a problem. But maybe things have changed and they are feeling gun-shy due to oil burning issues.

Our 2012 Jeep monitor usually goes to the max/recommended mileage (for that year) of 8k, though I think we're "supposed" to change it at 6 months if it doesn't go off by then. We've used nothing but M1 extended performance and it doesn't burn a DROP of oil between those oil changes (at only 75k so far but still), so I'm not worried.

Our 2016 Jeep monitor usually goes to a similar mileage (I do a bit more stop and go and local than I'd like), but by schedule the max allowed is 10k/1 year.

So yeah the Subaru intervals are sounding ultra-conservative to me. I wonder how much of it is actual need based and how much of it is CYA trying to make sure dolts don't run them low if they are consuming oil?

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2018, 08:19:10 AM »

So yeah the Subaru intervals are sounding ultra-conservative to me. I wonder how much of it is actual need based and how much of it is CYA trying to make sure dolts don't run them low if they are consuming oil?

We have a 2013 Outback 3.6 engine and it uses some oil in that 6,000 mile time frame. I start looking at the dipstick at around 4K. Not happy about having to do this but I like the car and prefer the larger engine. 

My dealer gives free oil changes, so I just let them do the work.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2018, 10:00:03 AM »
We have a 2013 Outback 3.6 engine and it uses some oil in that 6,000 mile time frame. I start looking at the dipstick at around 4K. Not happy about having to do this but I like the car and prefer the larger engine. 

My dealer gives free oil changes, so I just let them do the work.

We have a 2012 Outback 2.4 engine.  It uses about a pint in 7500 miles, which is the oil change interval that the dealer has recommended for us; like you, they do all the oil changes.   I don't know what the factory recommends.   

The factory designers may know more about the theory of an average car's oil change needs, but the dealership in this case is the one who knows us, knows how we drive, knows that they need to keep us happy so we'll keep coming back, and all that ....

Lannis

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2018, 10:15:28 AM »
We have a 2012 Outback 2.4 engine.  It uses about a pint in 7500 miles, which is the oil change interval that the dealer has recommended for us;
Lannis

Ours will use about a quart in less than 6,000 miles but that is dependent on whether we have done long highway mile trips in that time period. Regular city driving with occasional highway miles the usage is negligible.  I should ask the dealer about this oil usage.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2018, 11:32:53 AM »
 I don't think a pint or a quart in 5000 is an issue....2000-2005 or so Honda and Toyota were having excessive oil consumption problems in some engines...The line drawn by the manufacturers was a quart every 1000 miles or so... There were some recalls on it, but some owners got screwed. You can research it online with 100,000's of complaints about oil consumption in many newer vehicles..Including BMW class action suit...

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2018, 12:04:12 PM »
Most newer cars use 0-20w to help with fuel economy. And if the manual says synthetic, then use synthetic. Not doing that can void the warranty.

Along with that, newer engines are built to closer tolerances than in days of yore (more precise). They also, in the case of the current Subi, have Variable Valve Timing. A thicker oil could have trouble with the VVT and even throw a check engine code. 0-20 syn is the called for oil.

Meet or exceed the owners manual and keep receipts, regardless of who does the work. If you do it yourself, you could even buy the oil and filter from them if you want to.

Subaru often has various coupons on their web site that will save you a percentage or sometimes 20 bucks. Usually, the offer overlaps with my maint schedule and it works out. I even get a clean car back.

John Henry

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here