Author Topic: Fuse sizes 02 Stone  (Read 678 times)

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
Fuse sizes 02 Stone
« on: July 01, 2019, 09:07:23 PM »
Well I had an electrical failure yesterday while out riding with a bunch of American V twins. Turn signals died though the rest of the bike other than the speedo which is wired into the parking light in the headlight continued to work. So I pull down a electronic diagram from Carl Allison and trace the wiring, look at fuse numbers and decide that my bike must not be a 2002 Stone. According to the wiring I should have all 15 Amp fuses, according to the side panel decal on the inside, there should be a mixture including two 5 Amp fuses. Mine has a 30, a 10 several 15s and a 20. And in the diagram it should be fuse 2, but it's the 10Amp third fuse that melted. Just wondering what some others might have in their old Jackals, Stones, Bassas and Specials. I used to think Triumph wiring was bad, but at least the wires were thicker than dental floss.
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Fuse sizes 02 Stone
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 09:30:56 PM »
The wiring diagrams I have for the (1) EV/Jackal and (2) Bassa both show #2 as parking light and turn signals and #3 as starter solenoid and horn.
All 15 amp.

You can find the year of mfg from the VIN; that may help, but I don't think the factory was consistent in which wiring scheme they used for a given model.

Rich A

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 11:22:57 PM »
Carl's wiring diagrams are a terrific resource but they cannot be expected to show every model perfectly.
I have learned to mix and match parts of different diagrams, Moto Guzzi tend to do that.
I can't think why you would need larger than 15 with the following exceptions, I see a bunch of models around 2000 called for all 15 Amp, it's a safe size, all of the wiring will be protected.

The starter relay fuse may have been upgraded to help with Startus Interuptus

Earlier spine framed bikes used a 30 Amp between the Voltage regulator and battery but the diagram here shows no fuse, this would be easy to verify by unplugging the regulator double red and see if the loom side is alive with the fuse in.

I wonder why your indicators went out, perhaps a short to chassis at the rear end where the loom goes through the fender.

If it goes again tru replacing the fuse with an old headlight bulb (solder a couple of short wires on it) stuffed into the fuse socket.
With that in place the bulb will supply the load and stay cold but if you jiggle the wires around and create a short the bulb will flash.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 11:38:48 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 08:03:55 AM »
Carl's wiring diagrams are a terrific resource but they cannot be expected to show every model perfectly.
I have learned to mix and match parts of different diagrams, Moto Guzzi tend to do that.
I can't think why you would need larger than 15 with the following exceptions, I see a bunch of models around 2000 called for all 15 Amp, it's a safe size, all of the wiring will be protected.

The starter relay fuse may have been upgraded to help with Startus Interuptus

Earlier spine framed bikes used a 30 Amp between the Voltage regulator and battery but the diagram here shows no fuse, this would be easy to verify by unplugging the regulator double red and see if the loom side is alive with the fuse in.

I wonder why your indicators went out, perhaps a short to chassis at the rear end where the loom goes through the fender.

If it goes again tru replacing the fuse with an old headlight bulb (solder a couple of short wires on it) stuffed into the fuse socket.
With that in place the bulb will supply the load and stay cold but if you jiggle the wires around and create a short the bulb will flash.

Yeah Carl's diagrams are great, and probably the way the bikes should be. Guzzi probably had a deal on 15A fuses so said those for all. I evidently received some leftovers that were lying around.
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 08:03:55 AM »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 08:26:06 AM »
The factory upgraded changed the wiring all the time, my 98 EV was nothing like this, it had all 15 Amp fuses and the huge P8 ECU
The regulator was wired straight to the battery with no fuse.

I assume this is a later 98 with a small 15M ECU, see how fuse 1 is between regulator and battery is 30 Amps
http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/1998_EV.gif

If you have the original owners manual the schematic in the back of that should be, not always correct.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 08:33:37 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here