Author Topic: Bevel box breather..  (Read 713 times)

Offline weevee

• Gosling
Bevel box breather..
« on: July 11, 2019, 08:02:23 AM »
Can anyone advise whether or not a bevel box breather is really necessary?  My bike doesn't have one, and so far as I know it hasn't yet blown any seals or leaked any oil (..in 18,000mls).  Why do so many owners fit them?

Steve

Offline Rusnak_322

• Gosling
Re: Bevel box breather..
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 08:51:56 AM »
if it isn't leaking oil from building up pressure, then I don't see why you would need one.
the previous owner of my bike modified the filler to attach a 3 foot long hose that he had routed under the tank. I tossed that and added a cheap dirt bike gas tank cap vent. never seen any hint of oil around it. Sorry I dont have a better picture.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 08:52:40 AM by Rusnak_322 »
1975 Moto Guzzi 850T - café racer in progress
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
Re: Bevel box breather..
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 09:08:45 AM »
While the filler plug is a handy place to put a breather, it's in the wrong place.  If I remember correctly the crownwheel throws the oil at that area and throws it up the breather so that's why a long hose is used. I've quit useing a breather and now I burp it by opening the fill plug when it's hot, seems to work but maybe it futile.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here