Author Topic: Fitting SAE Connector to the dash on my V7II  (Read 760 times)

Offline Harryc

• New Egg
Fitting SAE Connector to the dash on my V7II
« on: August 05, 2019, 08:32:13 AM »
I couldn't find anything else on the web showing this mod, so I thought I'd post up what I did.

I wanted a SAE connector on the dash so that I could plug in a USB adaptor to power my phone (= GPS) mounted on the handlebars.

This is the part I used for the dash - You can find this one plenty of places - including Ebay.

For fusing I used this to wire directly to the battery with 5A fuse built in - again available on Ebay

I installed the Fuse with cable ties onto the Battery mount under the cover on the right side (OK really bad pic - I cable-tied the fuse block to aluminium bracket)

There is a really nice spot in the lower middle of the dash just the right size for the SAE panel plug, but unfortunately the steering lock sits just underneath. The only place it would fit is right up the top of the dash, which means crossing over the small (0.8mm) step in the dash panel. Removed the dash and took out the ABS and TC lights (needed to move the fuel tank back to access the plugs, but no need to disconnect the fuel line)

I found a washer (Aluminium sump plug seal for toyota 1HZ) that was the right size. I used the washer to guess the correct location for the hole, then used a stepped drill to take the hole out to 18mm. Note: Take care here - that there is clearance for the plastic nut on the ABS light. I ended up with no clearance, another mm over and I would have been filing the hole to make things fit

I  then cut  up the washer, filed to fit, and glued it to the underside of the dash. I glued the leftover bit to the top side to make the mount sit flat. (the washer is about 0.8mm thick - which matched the step in the dash).

Once the glue was dry enough, I installed the SAE connector and the existing ABS & TC lights back to the dash, and re-installed the dash. This is where I realised how close the ABS and SAE nuts were to each other.

Ran the wires for TC and ABS back down, and ran the new SAE wire down as well. A bit of a fiddle to get a new cable-tie in where the wires hit the frame. I ran the SAE cable down the right side upper frame rail, and finished under the silver plastic panel behind the RH cylinder head (needed a small loop to get the length right). I ran the SAE cable from the battery up, and plugged them together under the panel.

And now the proud owner of a MGV7II with a not-too-crap looking SAE connector on the dash.

Offline Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Fitting SAE Connector to the dash on my V7II
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 10:10:25 AM »
Nice description of the procedure, looks like it was designed for that location!

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Fitting SAE Connector to the dash on my V7II
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 02:17:16 PM »
Well done
I've been trying to figure out what I can put under the side covers of my V7 special, a good location for larger not often used tools I think.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here