Author Topic: ARP bolts for the big block?  (Read 6228 times)

Offline Seagondollar

• Gaggle Hero
  • Wake Forest, NC
ARP bolts for the big block?
« on: February 23, 2015, 02:25:47 PM »
I can swear I saw an ARP ad in the last year or so with a second or so of a Guzzi engine in it.  But when I emailed ARP, their guy said he couldn't find any record of Guzzi in their parts list.  I won't ask if I'm crazy, because... well....  Has anyone here seen or had an ARP bolt set for the big block?
2002 BMW 330i
1988 Toyota MR2
1974 V7 Sport
1989 Le Mans 1000 (V) - � morto

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: ARP bolts for the big block?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 04:54:05 PM »
What's an ARP?

Offline jazzamoto

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 05:04:57 PM »
What's an ARP?

It's wot angles play, ain't it?  ;D
Richmond, CA
'78 Le Mans I
2021 Honda NC 750x DCT
"JAZZAMOTO  predicted it!"

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 05:11:05 PM »
What's an ARP?
A brand of aftermarket quality high grade bolts.  What do you need them for?....Rods?
Ciao
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 05:11:05 PM »

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 08:37:57 AM »
They're probably the bolts in Carrillo rods.
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 09:15:45 AM »
What's an ARP?

It's AARP for seniors who are un-American.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline sturgeon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 12:20:37 PM »
Address Resolution Protocol :D
Dyslexics Untie!

11 Yamaha WR250R
14 Moto Guzzi V7S
16 BMW R1200R

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 05:56:47 AM »
They're probably the bolts in Carrillo rods.
No Carrillo use there own bolts which are generally slightly stronger than the ARP's
Ciao

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 08:13:17 AM »
No Carrillo use there own bolts which are generally slightly stronger than the ARP's
Ciao

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
Re: Re: ARP bolts for the big block?
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 08:20:45 AM »
Address Resolution Protocol :D
I liked RARP more. 8)

guzzigray

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 10:03:54 AM »

Carrillos for big block Guzzis don't use 1/4" bolts

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 12:44:58 PM »
Not the point at all. You said ARP doesn't make bolts for Carrillo rods. I've show that they have. It's what I found with :20 of research.

Offline Seagondollar

• Gaggle Hero
  • Wake Forest, NC
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 04:42:12 PM »
Sorry guys - time to get back on your ADD meds!   ::(

I have a big block Guzzi engine that I want to get some ARP (American Racing Products) bolts for to dress and strengthen it up. 

And, no, I don't have Carillo rods (although it was common knowledge years back that they were less expensive than Guzzi rods)

Have any mechanics or racers ever seen a package for big block Guzzi engine?    :food
2002 BMW 330i
1988 Toyota MR2
1974 V7 Sport
1989 Le Mans 1000 (V) - � morto

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 08:59:00 PM »
Not the point at all. You said ARP doesn't make bolts for Carrillo rods. I've show that they have. It's what I found with :20 of research.
I didn't say ARP don't make replacement bolts for Carrillo rods I said that Carrillo have their own bolts,which they do. Mine have their excellent SPS bolts which are multi reuse able. Very expensive to buy seperately.
Ciao
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 09:03:31 PM by lucky phil »

guzzigray

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 10:50:01 PM »
Sorry guys - time to get back on your ADD meds!   ::(

I have a big block Guzzi engine that I want to get some ARP (American Racing Products) bolts for to dress and strengthen it up. 

And, no, I don't have Carillo rods (although it was common knowledge years back that they were less expensive than Guzzi rods)

Have any mechanics or racers ever seen a package for big block Guzzi engine?    :food

Which big block ??

Cal, Sport, V11 etc use bolts only. Earlier use bolts and nuts. I would use stock and be done with it. Unless of course you are constantly rebuilding your motor and need re useable bolts.

I would generally tend to trust the ARP guy as to what is available (or not) for Guzzis.

I took slightly longer than :20 to research that answer.

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 11:01:49 AM »
Not to change the subject, but back when I was young and had hair, 1978, I was working in my families manufacturing plant.  One of my jobs was to source fasteners that were military spec.  I had lots of sells reps visiting me wanting a piece of the action.  One young guy (Jerry) at the time, came to visit me.  He invited me to his fastener warehouse in Louisville, KY and out to lunch.  His warehouse was an old movie theater near Churchill Downs horse race track.  The salesman, Jerry Nowicke gave me the grand tour of the building.  You would think, how much fun could it be to look as bins full of fasteners?  Much to my surprise, Jerry's father was the chief mechanic for A.J. Foyt racing. (He was the founder and owner of Fastener Sales and Engineering. He was a life member of USAC, the Kentucky Motor Sport and National Midget Racing Hall of Fame, the Automobile Racing Club of America, the Indianapolis 500 Old Timers Club, and a National Safety Award Winner.)  In the theater/warehouse projection room was the A.J Foyts trophy room.  A.J. was also a race horse owner which is why the ware house was close to Churchill downs, walking distance to horse barns.  After a tour of the trophy room, Bob and I went down to steps to the warehouse.  In the back of the warehouse was a race car built by A.J. and Bob.  An Offenhauser engine car.  Jerry ask if I would be interested in taking the car back to my machine shop and restoring the car for the family.  I told him I was young and inexperience and declined the offer.  

Jerry. told me about how his father and A.J. owned the patient on the arp fasteners.  They developed them because the fasteners that were available would break under loads.  

I have told the story of the Jerry asking me to rebuild the race car many times to people.  I had always wondered what happened to the car and the family and the business.  This past weekend, my friend Rick and I went to the Carl Casper auto show.  Walking in the door to the event, the very first car I saw was  early sixties sprint car.  I began repeating my story to Rick about A.J.'s car.  We walked up to the car and there the car set in all its glory.  Restored and Jerry standing beside it.  I have pictures, but my camera is in my truck and it is cold out.  I will post later today.

http://fastenersales.net/bob-nowicke-midget-racing/#comment-11

« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 11:19:10 AM by Orange Guzzi »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here