Author Topic: Cranking a 2 vs. 4 cylinder bike  (Read 11146 times)

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
Cranking a 2 vs. 4 cylinder bike
« on: February 23, 2015, 04:29:02 PM »
In general is cranking a 2 cylinder Guzzi 750 easier than say a Jap 4 cylinder 750 or about equal?  Battery choices is why I need to know.
Thanks 
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

oldbike54

Re: Cranking a 2 vs. 4 cylinder bike
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 04:30:48 PM »
 No generally a 4 will easier to turn over than a twin .

Dusty

Offline jabberwocky

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 04:33:24 PM »
I'd say it's harder than a 4 cylinder. You are never pushing more than one cylinder through compression at a time, and a big cylinder compresses more air than a small one. Life with kickstart-only bikes teaches you this.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 04:42:27 PM »
4 cyl should turn over easier. You have twice the chances of the spark catching
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 04:53:26 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 04:42:27 PM »

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 05:13:47 PM »
What takes more effort, the biggest bite of a hamburger you can take or a modest bite.
If you can figure that out you will have your answer.
Ciao
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

oldbike54

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 05:34:00 PM »
 There is also flywheel and reciprocating weight and mass to consider . Normally the combined weight of these components in a twin is heavier than in a four .   

Dusty

Edit , fixed it Jim  :D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 06:18:18 PM by oldbike54 »

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 05:36:44 PM »
There is also flywheel and reciprocating weight and mass to consider . Normally the combined weight of these components in a twin is heavier than in a twin

Dusty

Huh, I would have thought the weight would be exactly the same.     

:D
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

oldbike54

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 05:44:16 PM »
Huh, I would have thought the weight would be exactly the same.     

:D

No or very little flywheel in a 4 . Also , and I am NOT an engineer , but a piston weighing 3 Oz's takes less than half the connecting rod to control , which 6 Oz's , which allows the crank to be lighter still .

Dusty

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 05:51:34 PM »
 Back when bikes had kick starters still on them a 750 would kick over almost like a 2 stroke.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 05:58:49 PM »
 Of course, consideration of a starter upgrade:
Motorrad Electrik markets a Mitsubishi planetary gear starter that reportedly spins faster at lower current draw - might be a direct drop in for the Lario. Let me know if you go that route. Interested to see how that goes.
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 06:08:25 PM »

No or very little flywheel in a 4 . Also , and I am NOT an engineer , but a piston weighing 3 Oz's takes less than half the connecting rod to control , which 6 Oz's , which allows the crank to be lighter still .

Dusty

Dusty, go read your original post.   ;D
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

oldbike54

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 06:16:31 PM »
Dusty, go read your original post.   ;D

Well duh  :-[ ;D Anyway ...

Dusty

oldbike54

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 06:19:38 PM »
Back when bikes had kick starters still on them a 750 would kick over almost like a 2 stroke.

Guessing you mean a 750 four .

Dusty

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 07:12:20 PM »
Can't quote CCA cos I didn't measure it but I got a new Lithium battery from a friend's widow to try in my Guzzi
Wouldn't hardly turn it, let alone start
But would easily start my Brumby (Brat in US) 1800cc flat four ute
Since, I discovered it would start his 1200cc four cylinder Suzuki easily but not his 800cc triple Triumph that it was intended for, he'd replaced the original in that.
I gave it to another mutual friend to use in race bike

So, absolutely certain you need more CCA for a twin, exactly how many does depend on other things
Battery I use claims 280 CCA, I'm sure that would start the Lario

Search on here, others have fitted Lithium batteries to Guzzis with success, if they work on BB, SB should be a doddle

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 07:19:03 PM »
Can't quote CCA cos I didn't measure it but I got a new Lithium battery from a friend's widow to try in my Guzzi
Wouldn't hardly turn it, let alone start
But would easily start my Brumby (Brat in US) 1800cc flat four ute
Since, I discovered it would start his 1200cc four cylinder Suzuki easily but not his 800cc triple Triumph that it was intended for, he'd replaced the original in that.
I gave it to another mutual friend to use in race bike

So, absolutely certain you need more CCA for a twin, exactly how many does depend on other things
Battery I use claims 280 CCA, I'm sure that would start the Lario

Search on here, others have fitted Lithium batteries to Guzzis with success, if they work on BB, SB should be a doddle
What temps were you trying to start the guzzi at?
LI batteries are very cold temp sensative and sometimes Ducatis have the same issues with them. Usually turning on the headlights for a few minutes before cranking helps. Late LI batteries are probably better.
Ciao
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 07:43:57 PM »
Thanks all. I've got a lithium Iron on it now for three years (Lario). I'm looking at something with only 4 cells (antigravity) that would tuck up nicely out of sight. I'm not certain I can get away with that since it says up to 600cc, though a guy cranked his Kawa 900 4 with it. That's why I asked. I have lightened bits in my Lario (flywheel/rods) but more compression. Hmmm..,
It claims 120 CCA the 8 cell 240cca. Guess I better not risk it. 240 will do it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 07:49:30 PM by kevdog3019 »
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline dsrdave

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 07:45:06 PM »
Fewer cylinders usually means tougher to crank.  Ever kick start a 500 single ???  If you're thinking about a lithium battery I used an 8 cell Ballistic battery for several years on my 850T and the OE Bosch starter and had no issues.  I suspect if you upgraded to a legit Valeo starter that would help also.
2-850T, 2-1000 convert/hacked, V11 sport, V50, centauro, '97 sport 1100, '71 V7 ambo, '76 850 Lemans,CX100,"83 LM III,1000SE, '91 LM V, '07 Griso, '53 super alce,moto parilla, zigolo, Lodola 175, Lodola 235,  '07 norge, '67 stornello, 57galletto, Nuovo Falcone, stornello ISDT, 52 Airone sport

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 08:11:28 PM »
What temps were you trying to start the guzzi at?
LI batteries are very cold temp sensative and sometimes Ducatis have the same issues with them. Usually turning on the headlights for a few minutes before cranking helps. Late LI batteries are probably better.
Ciao

wasn't cold, as said easily started Brumby in same weather (maybe 20 C)
tried all warming tricks, even tried warm engine, wouldn't play
Was state of art comp controlled German battery, think you bought Wilbers from Greg, came from them, used in all their (4 cyl) racebikes, no go for triple or twin

Kev-- agree with safe 240, 120 doesn't sound nearly enough
But I've just ordered one of these jump start tiny batteries,
http://www.gadgetcity.com.au/quantum-battery-backup-charging-&-jumper-lead-power-pack-p-2905.html?cPath=94_207
will test it and report, not sure why not but they say not to leave connected to battery when running but you can charge it with cig lighter from running vehicle.
Otherwise one of these would be perfect cheap tiny battery !!!
Might be possible to connect big +ve lead to starter only, run lights ignition etc from alternator with just charging +ve wire going to this unit ?
Big -ve lead permanently earthed.
$69 test, I can afford that

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 08:25:25 PM »
Please report on findings. I've got a pocket between my tank and frame that ID like to fill with a battery for my build. Small is good.
Thanks
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 10:18:31 PM »
My bad, just realized I was looking at AG's AG401 specs NOT their XPS (Extreme Power Series). It will start vehicles up to 1300cc and works for V8 trucks. It says it will easily start a high compression Ducati V-twin. Ok... only catch is it has low capacity and is not meant for a "daily driver". However, reviews are from folks using them in 1300cc and 1100cc bikes as permanent drivers and they aren't complaining. So... I'm Safe from a pure starting standpoint but wondering from a capacity standpoint. This is not my touring bike and I take it out for good long spins in the twisties not in high traffic zones. I think it's worth a shot at just over $100 and if it fails I use it as a backup or toss it. Videos show quite impressive results of starting trucks, etc. over and over without hesitation. Boils down to capacity.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 10:20:10 PM by kevdog3019 »
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 08:50:50 AM »
Displacement being equal and not considering valve and ignition timing, I'd say a single or twin is more difficult to turn over than a four. 

I notice that some HD guys building hi-compression strokers put compression releases next to their spark plugs for ease of starting.  Not what you're looking for I'd bet.

Tobit
Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Offline Scott of the Sahara

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 09:06:14 AM »
If displacement is equal shouldn't the turn over power needed be the same. Number of cylinders should not make a difference.
Now if the starter is geared lower, or the compression is higher that would make a difference.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 10:03:03 AM »
If displacement is equal shouldn't the turn over power needed be the same. Number of cylinders should not make a difference.
Now if the starter is geared lower, or the compression is higher that would make a difference.

Putting friction aside, a big cylinder requires more torque to get past the compression stroke than a small one.  So even if the power needed to complete two turns of the engine were the same, you'd still need more starter power with the twin, if a piston were just about to start a compression stroke when the start button is pushed.

Offline Mike Tashjian

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 10:48:24 AM »
I think we are painting a false illusion about theoretical versus real world situations.  Anything from larger bearing surfaces to a certain type of valve train can add extra resistance and let's not even mention lubrication. Starter types vary.  It will always be better to have more energy available.  You may not want to haul a battery any bigger than necessary. At least understand that starting may not happen with minimum battery capacity. Especially if you encounter any adverse condition.    Mike 

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 11:22:31 AM »
Check this out for cranking. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dKRW78g3Wo0

I think it will kick over my Guzzi 650.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2015, 09:16:33 AM »
Just purchased the SC-1 12oz. battery.  Capacity will be the question, but upon further investigation, I could run two in parallel essentially creating double the capacity and keeping with 12v.  These would be identical batteries.  We shall see, but I think I can make room for two if need be.  I will keep the revs up on this one for awhile to see what it gets me.  Now I need to wait for warm weather!  :'(
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2015, 09:53:06 AM »
for good long spins in the twisties

In Michigan? Shirley, you jest.. ;D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2015, 10:15:07 AM »
In Michigan? Shirley, you jest.. ;D
Yeah... I know, it's all relative.  I do live in one of the best areas where glaciers seemed to have cut out some good amount of relief.  Lots of up and down and all around backroads.  It might surprise you how fun it is.  At my doorstep fortunately.  No WV though.  I know twisties as I've been all over that state.  ;-T

'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2015, 10:22:07 AM »
Back in another lifetime, I spent a lot of time in Michigan.. riding dirt bikes. ;D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2015, 10:39:13 AM »
Back in another lifetime, I spent a lot of time in Michigan.. riding dirt bikes. ;D

Yep... I'll admit I'm lucky to have the small plot I do for some good romps.  I've been on some admittedly "great" roads here in MI, and though they're scenic, they have a boring disposition for the ride itself in comparison.  This is mainly pretty deeply wooded area with some open areas.  Egypt Valley is what it's called.  There is a big PGA (I believe) golf tournament there every year.  Great course back in there.  I'm sure it's on the net and you might get an idea.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here