Author Topic: Wild in the streets?  (Read 45584 times)

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Wild in the streets?
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2015, 11:28:06 AM »
but it's no laughing matter when a young loved gets caught up in it.   :'(

I agree. The amount of lives that have been ruined by this ridiculous prohibition needs to end in all states.

In terms of action from the Feds/Congress on this issue. ;D ;D ;D. But until then, the States should move forward.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2015, 11:42:30 AM »
 I am against the legalization of marijuana. Not because I think it's a horrible nasty thing but because it's just vegetation and not the government's business...

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2015, 11:46:24 AM »
I am against the legalization of marijuana. Not because I think it's a horrible nasty thing but because it's just vegetation and not the government's business...

It sounds like you're against regulation, rather than against legalization.  If so, me too.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2015, 11:57:55 AM »
So Rough and Jim , how do you guys feel about Broccoli ? ;D

Dusty

I was OK until "Live and Let Die", then I went off him big time .....
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2015, 11:57:55 AM »

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2015, 11:58:06 AM »

Grain and hops for beer.
Grapes for wine.

Not thinking that same argument is going to fly given the above.  ;)
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline screamday

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2015, 11:59:07 AM »
So Rough and Jim , how do you guys feel about Broccoli ? ;D

Dusty

Rolled or in a bong?  :BEER:
Tony in SC
"Comfort the disturbed and Disturb the comfortable"
1988 R100RS
1998 V11 EV

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2015, 11:59:44 AM »
It sounds like you're against regulation, rather than against legalization.  If so, me too.

Yup, I am a Libertarian... and figured you are also...Or Anarchist   ;D

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2015, 12:01:57 PM »
Legalizing something makes it seem "legal" and ok, like alcohol.  Some don't like alcohol and may take to weed, some may take to both.  In either case, I'm not certain that the productivity level of folks goes up.  This I worry about.  Probably good the Gov't is making revenue.  It should come back to the folks in time.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2015, 12:05:49 PM »
Ok Bill Clinton, you can inhale now.           O wow man!

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2015, 12:08:32 PM »

None of it (cocaine, heroin, etc) was illegal 120 years ago, and there wasn't a big problem.

However, there were two differences.    One, it wasn't socially acceptable so very few people went down with it.   Two, anyone who abused it just died.   They couldn't work, there were no methadone clinics or "safety nets" or "disability payments", and so you were responsible for your own results.

If that was true again, I'd go along with it.

Lannis

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2015, 12:15:01 PM »

Oh, for the days of over-the-counter Laudanum...
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2015, 12:36:55 PM »
Legalizing something makes it seem "legal" and ok, like alcohol.  Some don't like alcohol and may take to weed, some may take to both.  In either case, I'm not certain that the productivity level of folks goes up.  This I worry about.  Probably good the Gov't is making revenue.  It should come back to the folks in time.

Is there evidence to show that legalization increases long-term use?  You can find evidence that claims it does not, and evidence that claims it does.  One problem I see with the numbers is that once the drug is legal, more people are likely to admit using it, causing a false "increase".  But worrying about decreased productivity seems unnecessary, since the same worry was a factor contributing to alcohol prohibition, and proved to not be connected to legality.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2015, 12:51:05 PM »
Heroin and cocaine are not even close to MJ in terms of destructive dependence.

Statistically, the latest increase in drug use has been in the post 50 Baby Boomer generation. Maybe that is why you guys think the V7 doesn't need any additional power?  :D
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2015, 12:52:33 PM »
 To elaborate on my own statement about not legalizing and it's just vegetation. It's an intoxicant and when made legal more people will use it and abuse it. Then the next thing will be an outcry from those who feel a need to control others and it'll create more laws, and make more bullshit.
 Leave it illegal if you must. Those who can use it with responsibility will continue to do so...

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2015, 12:56:12 PM »
kinda interesting to look at all the reefer madness back in the 1930s.  Hearst Newspapers were all about the menace and the brown skinned crazed smokers. 

Hearst also had a new patented process to make paper from wood rather than hemp.  $$
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2015, 01:17:42 PM »
Heroin and cocaine are not even close to MJ in terms of destructive dependence.

Statistically, the latest increase in drug use has been in the post 50 Baby Boomer generation. Maybe that is why you guys think the V7 doesn't need any additional power?  :D

I think this is an example of an increased reporting of use rather than an increase in actual use.  Those over 50 folks were the hippies and beatniks of the 60s and 70s.  As they mainstreamed, got jobs, had kids, etc, they had good reasons to hide or deny that they smoked.  Now they're either secure in their careers, working in a non-impact job, or retired.  Their kids are grown and don't need the role model.  Social and civic times have changed.  At least in Alaska, the over 50's led the charge for legalization.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2015, 01:22:29 PM »
well, you wonder how it could get worse and then Lannis makes a post to prove it.   ;)

that was wayyyyy tooo eazy

Does this mean I'm not invited to the Cedar Vale birthday party?   

All I can say is, for a thread that's "justified" as being non-political and non-Guzzi because it's all Facts and no Opinions, there certainly are a sh!tpotfull of Opinions being bandied about here, masquerading as Facts .....

Lannis

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2015, 01:26:10 PM »
None of it (cocaine, heroin, etc) was illegal 120 years ago, and there wasn't a big problem.

If that was true again, I'd go along with it.

Lannis

A family history my Grandfather used to tell me was about how he would go to the "Pharmacy" and get Heroin for his Grandmother.  

He was about 12 at the time.

He didn't need a prescription.

Of course this was Stone County Arkansas at the turn of the century.

Didn't have a problem with "illegal drugs".

For me my Griso has really helped with my back - and outlook.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 01:28:32 PM by not-fishing »
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2015, 01:31:38 PM »
"Drug use is increasing among people in their fifties. This is, at least in part, due to the aging of the baby boomers, whose rates of illicit drug use have historically been higher than those of previous cohorts."

Stats, but who believes statistics unless they are your statistics?:

http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/nationwide-trends
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2015, 01:36:16 PM »
"Drug use is increasing among people in their fifties. This is, at least in part, due to the aging of the baby boomers, whose rates of illicit drug use have historically been higher than those of previous cohorts."

Stats, but who believes statistics unless they are your statistics?:

http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/nationwide-trends

I believe EVERYTHING my Government tells me.   From years of blackcat posts, I know that you do too.   It's a comforting feeling, isn't it .... knowing you get nothing but the truth and are being cared for?

Lannis

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2015, 01:38:25 PM »
  Neither sharp nor hot-- snort chuckle.

somehow I think Hillary looks more like a stoner; she sure likes the munchies

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2015, 01:39:12 PM »
Oh no...of course not.... ::)

I find it ironic that MJ is now legal in DC, the seat of our Fed Gov who continues to insist that it's illegal nationwide.  Odd considering our presidents drug use background.  But then, this is a president that cant link Islamic and Terrorism together in a sentance.

And no - thats not political either - just a fact.

Our last three presidents have admitted to MJ use.. As well as over half of the supposed contenders for 2016

It's more a function of generation than party or politics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2015, 01:40:01 PM »
I'm sticking with moonshine.

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
Wild in the streets?
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2015, 01:42:17 PM »
The federal gov had nothing to do with local legalization in DC

That was passed by local referendum of DC residents

There was a weak attempt to block it by the Boehner & the  House.. But it was short lived after the mayor & DC council basically said they would ignore it and follow the voter's will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2015, 01:56:16 PM »
I believe EVERYTHING my Government tells me.   From years of blackcat posts, I know that you do too.   It's a comforting feeling, isn't it .... knowing you get nothing but the truth and are being cared for?

Lannis

Why don't you just take a break, milk a cow or whatever you do in your free time. God only knows, a joint is not going to solve your problem though a silent meditation might help.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2015, 01:58:16 PM »
I still don't think the thread is political , the two individuals mentioned in the OP's original post are not politicians , well. maybe in their own minds  :o ;D Other than that , it is more of a philosophical debate .

Dusty

I think, honestly, that you and the other pro-dope posters are fooling yourselves about whether this is a "political" thread or not.   It very clearly is, but, because there are many opinions expressed that you enjoy and believe in, you talk yourselves into that it's somehow "not".

I could certainly come up with an exactly parallel thread, with the same sort of mix of "fact" and "opinion" and the same number of politicians and newsreaders mentioned, that would have Rocker's mailbox filled up with complaints about "Non Guzzi Political Thread, please stop it!".    

But I won't.   People can already see it, even the ones that are playing along ..... And, in the end, it's the Moderator's call.   He's certainly cut some of the other "political" threads a lot of slack over the years, and most people (including me) see that as a positive for the list.   I don't have to read the content; it's the hypocrisy of some of my fellow posters that's hard to swallow.

Lannis

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2015, 01:59:48 PM »
Why don't you just take a break, milk a cow or whatever you do in your free time. God only knows, a joint is not going to solve your problem though a silent meditation might help.

I know.

"AWW, WHY DON'T YOU JUST SHUT UP!?!" is generally a good discussion-ender for the person that's got nothing to say.   OR realizes that he's stepped on his own crank ...  :D

Lannis

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2015, 02:47:53 PM »
When did I ever state a position pro or con "dope" ? I am pro democracy , and the Alaska law was changed by a
vote , correct ?

Dusty

So no position on it, then?   

I WOULD like to continue the fun on this thread that's such a combination of the "Up in Smoke" and "Beavis and Butthead" vibe, but Butthead here has to make like a tree and leave for a couple of days, so continue playing nice .....

Lannis

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2015, 03:17:29 PM »
 Yeah,fun....My dad played pro baseball in the late 1930's, Triple A team in NJ. He said they played the Negro leagues in exhibition games . He went on to say the negro players smoked marijuana. My father and a few other white player hung out and smoked some ...My dad, who never drank alcohol in his life, said the marijuana made you laugh , it was no big deal. He admitted to me in the 1980's that he smoked pot maybe a few times more but that was it.
 I have about one alcoholic drink every few weeks. And do a bit of laughing tobacco on occasion. I do know pot can cause panic attacks in people who are prone to being paranoid. It does affect your motor skills but nothing like alcohol. And although stoners are not dropping dead it's doing a person no good to be stoned constantly from a health point of view.
  From this occasional personal experience I've had with marijuana, I don't believe it should be legal in addition to the reasons I gave previously in this thread.

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2015, 03:24:41 PM »
I know.

"AWW, WHY DON'T YOU JUST SHUT UP!?!" is generally a good discussion-ender for the person that's got nothing to say.   OR realizes that he's stepped on his own crank ...  :D

Lannis

I offered a link to stats and you offered.....nothing .

Edit: You did offer something, a veiled insult and then you double downed on your insults.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 03:46:13 PM by blackcat »
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here