Author Topic: My apologies  (Read 13824 times)

Offline kenvil1

• Gosling
My apologies
« on: February 24, 2015, 12:38:17 PM »
I truly regret the negative comments I made about the V7 in my previous post. I don’t know where my head was that day, and I can’t believe I was so full of myself. It was not my place to disparage a fine motorcycle that some of you are lucky enough to own. Cabin fever might be taking its toll on me as one of you pointed out, but I wasn't being a troll even though I may have acted like one. Please accept my apologies, I enjoy your forum very much.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: My apologies
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 12:44:12 PM »
I truly regret the negative comments I made about the V7 in my previous post. I don’t know where my head was that day, and I can’t believe I was so full of myself. It was not my place to disparage a fine motorcycle that some of you are lucky enough to own. Cabin fever might be taking its toll on me as one of you pointed out, but I wasn't being a troll even though I may have acted like one. Please accept my apologies, I enjoy your forum very much.

Went back and read your posts, and (this is one WG poster's opinion), there's nothing in the world wrong with what you said.  

Your opinions were clearly expressed, no personal animus, no rough language, no "putting someone down".   No need at all to apologize.

We do have a few posters that expect every post to be a love-note about whatever the subject is at hand, and accuse people who disagree with their aesthetic sense, or their conclusions, to be:

1) "Hating" on whatever the subject is

2) "Peeing in someone's Cheerios"

3) Someone who should be quiet so they don't have to read an opinion that differs from theirs.

Don't worry about that.  These are things that are said to try to change this from a "Discussion Forum" to an "I'm In Control of Kum Bah Yah" forum, so don't fall for it.  It might be said that if we both have the same opinion about something, one of us MIGHT be a waste of space!  And MAYBE the V7 ISN'T a fine motorcycle ...  ;) although I suspect it probably is.   ;-T

Keep calm and carry on!

Lannis
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 12:48:14 PM by Lannis »
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 12:44:18 PM »
Don't worry about it. It's just a motorcycle. But then, some people might get worked up if you disparage their toaster or laser printer. It's the internet, after all.
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 12:50:03 PM »
Meh, differences of opinion are fine. We are all allowed to have our own perspectives. Just don't be surprised when they are challenged (even if that is that natural way to feel).

Personally I always feel free to express my opinions, but I TRY to limit argument to the facts... Not saying I succeed...

PS, I disagree with Lannis. But that's our difference in perspective. I think people can disagree without being overly negative, he thinks there's no need for that or has a greater level of tolerance of it. So to him some posters are overly sensitive and see disparity when he thinks it's not there and to others they think he's stubbornly tolerant of impolite behavior under the guise of "free discussion".
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

Re:
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 12:50:03 PM »

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
  • Aprilia Caponord 1200, Aprilia Shiver, gone MG B11
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 12:56:59 PM »

I just went back and read your posts about the V7. My personal opinion is that you have nothing to apologize for. But since I don't own a small block Guzzi, perhaps I'm wrong too!  ;D I really, really want to like the 750 Guzzis but I just can't.

Please hang around here and you will see some very strong opinions expressed both for and against bikes or other things.
North Carolina

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 12:58:53 PM »
On, I just re read it too. I don't really see negative comments about the V7 so much as some misunderstandings about it technically and perhaps some beef with Piaggio NA and their lag time for getting updated models to our shores.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re:
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 12:59:05 PM »
Meh, differences of opinion are fine. We are all allowed to have our own perspectives. Just don't be surprised when they are challenged (even if that is that natural way to feel).

Personally I always feel free to express my opinions. But I TRY to limit argument to the facts... Not saying I succeed...

That "facts" thing can be a problem.   What about when we're talking about:

1. "I really think the red frame/green tank Guzzis are coyote-ugly".

2. "I wish Guzzi had never wasted their money producing the Centauro - what a dog!"

3. "I use car tires on the rear of my motorcycle and I like them better than motorcycle tires."

4. "I had a V7 and it was a pig compared to my Ducati Monster".

5. "Janis Joplin sounds like a croaking frog compared to Karen Carpenter."

People making these OPINION statements should certainly expect them to be countered with ANOTHER opinion, but the problem is that people start getting personal ("You're just stupid!") or attempted to be controlled ("Why can't you just be quiet if you don't have something positive to say?") or "You're a liar" (How can an 'opinion' such as the above be a 'lie'?   They can't.) or "You need to get your facts right" (There AREN'T any facts in the above!)

If we'd stay out of the personal reflections, and concentrate on the actual subject and associated rabbit trails, even this excellent list would be improved.

Lannis
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 01:01:05 PM by Lannis »

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 01:01:49 PM »
I don't see the problem. All of those statements are subjective opinions.

However it's possible that 2-4 could be objectively debated if FACTS (dollar figures, performance figures etc. are available).
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re:
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 02:04:30 PM »
I don't see the problem. All of those statements are subjective opinions.

However it's possible that 2-4 could be objectively debated if FACTS (dollar figures, performance figures etc. are available).

Yup, if someone claims something like "The Ducati is faster than the V7 even though the Ducati has less horsepower", then facts would enter into it.

But just opinions?  I agree.

Lannis

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 02:11:09 PM »
I disagree with everything anyone else says , even my own opinions .

Damn you OB54 , shut up you old fart !

No , screw you , shut up and go away !

K1 , understand the need to clarify and make amends , good on ya  ;-T

WHAT  :o  he didn't need to apologize , leave him alone !

Dusty

Sounds like Gollum and Smeagol have joined the list!   One dude, two discussions.   At least you'll never be lonely again ....  :D

Lannis

Offline kenvil1

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 02:12:59 PM »
I upset a lot of owners for no reason, and that's what I regret. I really have no idea what I expected to gain from my post.

Offline Loftness

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 02:34:49 PM »
There's nothing wrong with your other post.  I don't completely understand your logic and thought process in it, but you didn't say anything bad. 

All good.
Fletch

2013 V7 Stone
1984 V65sp
1986 Vespa T5
1974 BMW R90/6

Bill Hagan

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 02:55:37 PM »
I upset a lot of owners for no reason, and that's what I regret. I really have no idea what I expected to gain from my post.

If having an "idea of expected gain" were the requirement for posting here, this place would dry up pretty quickly.  ;D

Oh, and Lannis, I never thought the day would come when I'd have to stand up for Janis Joplin against anyone, much less Karen Carpenter, but if this be the sound of a croaking frog, I will move to a swamp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTHRg_iSWzM   ;)

Bill

Joe A.

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 02:56:58 PM »
If having an "idea of expected gain" were the requirement for posting here, this place would dry up pretty quickly.  ;D

Oh, and Lannis, I never thought the day would come when I'd have to stand up for Janis Joplin against anyone, much less Karen Carpenter, but if this be the sound of a croaking frog, I will move to a swamp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTHRg_iSWzM   ;)

Bill

Exactly!

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 03:06:44 PM »
Now I'm really pissed, I have no idea what you're talking about.

I always say what upsets me would kill most
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
Re:
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 03:10:52 PM »

5. "Janis Joplin sounds like a croaking frog compared to Karen Carpenter."

The absolute best version of the song Summertime that I've ever heard was sung by Janis Joplin.  ;)

Oh; I had a real V7 Sport. The current version is just a wannabe.
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 03:21:02 PM »

I don't see who you upset?

Some people said they thought you were trolling, but that doesn't mean they were upset.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 03:42:12 PM »
Dusty,

I'm sorry if I'm not ready to play some poker....

Spuddy
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

56Pan

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 04:03:50 PM »
Went back and read your posts, and (this is one WG poster's opinion), there's nothing in the world wrong with what you said.  

Your opinions were clearly expressed, no personal animus, no rough language, no "putting someone down".   No need at all to apologize.

We do have a few posters that expect every post to be a love-note about whatever the subject is at hand, and accuse people who disagree with their aesthetic sense, or their conclusions, to be:

1) "Hating" on whatever the subject is

2) "Peeing in someone's Cheerios"

3) Someone who should be quiet so they don't have to read an opinion that differs from theirs.

Don't worry about that.  These are things that are said to try to change this from a "Discussion Forum" to an "I'm In Control of Kum Bah Yah" forum, so don't fall for it.  It might be said that if we both have the same opinion about something, one of us MIGHT be a waste of space!  And MAYBE the V7 ISN'T a fine motorcycle ...  ;) although I suspect it probably is.   ;-T

Keep calm and carry on!

Lannis

For crying out loud, i am sick and tired of you old fools who are soooooo ready to pounce on anyone who posts something that YOU find offensive or not to your liking.  I have never been on any other forum where I have read so many negative or critical postings.  I posted this as a humorous take on the inevitable, yet we have some CRANKY OLD FOOLS complaining.   Well, even after paying my annual dues, which btw is a lot more than many of you KNOW IT ALLS ever do, I am fed up ...you can all go to hell.  15 years on my boating forum and never, not once was there any crap....3 years on here and i have had it!  Go shove it!    You old fools....

And I'm the guy that made the comment about someone's Cheerios getting pissed in that morning.  To the post above.  I'd say it was an accurate representation of the day's events.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 04:06:18 PM »

Bill

The "expected gain" thing is right on.   The "gain" comes when people hear different viewpoints and opinions than their own, or a different opinion than what someone is "expected" to say.   There's no "gain" by joining a chorus of "Oh that's really a nice bike" or "I can appreciate the mechanical craftsmanship that went into that" if it's not really your opinion.

And, as you might guess from a former Centauro owner, the examples given were strictly hypothetical, as examples of typical subjective opinions that people have that make other people "unhappy".   Personally, I like Centauros, don't believe in car tires on bikes, and don't know the relative merits of V7s vs. Ducatis.

My ISP has me on "slowdown" since I overran my paid bandwidth allocation already for February, so I can't look at videos till Sunday.   But (with no intent to make anyone unhappy or to damage anyone's sensibilities), I can say that if I never hear that drug-soaked, sagging, burned out hippie woman screeching "Me and Bobby McGee" again in my listening lifetime, it'll suit me just fine!   :D   :D

Lannis

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 04:07:50 PM »
For crying out loud, i am sick and tired of you old fools who are soooooo ready to pounce on anyone who posts something that YOU find offensive or not to your liking.  I have never been on any other forum where I have read so many negative or critical postings.  I posted this as a humorous take on the inevitable, yet we have some CRANKY OLD FOOLS complaining.   Well, even after paying my annual dues, which btw is a lot more than many of you KNOW IT ALLS ever do, I am fed up ...you can all go to hell.  15 years on my boating forum and never, not once was there any crap....3 years on here and i have had it!  Go shove it!    You old fools....

And I'm the guy that made the comment about someone's Cheerios getting pissed in that morning.  To the post above.  I'd say it was an accurate representation of the day's events.

Who you callin' "old"?'

Kenvil, don't let this happen to YOU when you get that age!!   :D

Lannis
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 04:10:29 PM by Lannis »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 04:16:11 PM »
Janis rox, Lannis..   :winer  :wife:
Nothing against Karen Carpenter, of course.
To the OP.. it's all good. Welcome to the dysfunctional family..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: My apologies
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 04:40:35 PM »
For crying out loud, i am sick and tired of you old fools who are soooooo ready to pounce on anyone who posts something that YOU find offensive or not to your liking.  I have never been on any other forum where I have read so many negative or critical postings.  I posted this as a humorous take on the inevitable, yet we have some CRANKY OLD FOOLS complaining.   Well, even after paying my annual dues, which btw is a lot more than many of you KNOW IT ALLS ever do, I am fed up ...you can all go to hell.  15 years on my boating forum and never, not once was there any crap....3 years on here and i have had it!  Go shove it!    You old fools....

And I'm the guy that made the comment about someone's Cheerios getting pissed in that morning.  To the post above.  I'd say it was an accurate representation of the day's events.
Dude, go read K1's thread, I don't think we pounced on him. Though we did correct some misconceptions regarding current vs old design (I.e. that there was nothing wrong with the driveline angle and it's been changed only for aesthetic purposes and perhaps to give a tiny more leg room.

PS, you have no idea what people have or have not contributed to charities or dues on this board or anywhere else...
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline kenvil1

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 04:55:36 PM »
Not sure how poor Janis got dragged into this!

I see that Motorcycle USA didn't have many kind words for the V7 in their "Scrambler" comparison. Hopefully the California 1400 Touring will do better in their upcoming "Sport Bike" shootout.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 05:02:40 PM »
Not sure how poor Janis got dragged into this!

Not only Janis but Gollum!   You just never know what convoluted paths a thread might take .....

... but that's funny about the Sport Bike Shootout, I don't care who y'are!

Lannis

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 05:32:16 PM »
Half the folks here have skin thick enough that it wouldn't be penetrated by a .357 mag and the other half are bothered by mosquitos--this is pretty much like anywhere else.

Welcome to the board.

Rich A

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2015, 05:35:56 PM »
 :BEER:
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

lucydad

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2015, 06:00:10 PM »
Chè per vendetta mai non sanò piaga

Bravissimo

;-T

Bill Hagan

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2015, 06:33:53 PM »
Half the folks here have skin thick enough that it wouldn't be penetrated by a .357 mag and the other half are bothered by mosquitos--this is pretty much like anywhere else.

Welcome to the board.

Rich A

Exactly.

And quite a few (of us  ;)) are two mints in one.   ;D

Bill (Insensitive Lout)
William (See ya in court)

56Pan

Re: Re: My apologies
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2015, 10:38:47 AM »
Dude, go read K1's thread, I don't think we pounced on him. Though we did correct some misconceptions regarding current vs old design (I.e. that there was nothing wrong with the driveline angle and it's been changed only for aesthetic purposes and perhaps to give a tiny more leg room.

PS, you have no idea what people have or have not contributed to charities or dues on this board or anywhere else...

I'm so happy you got that sorted out to your satisfaction.   dood.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here