Author Topic: 2002 California EV Gas Tank removal  (Read 7416 times)

Brooksr13

2002 California EV Gas Tank removal
« on: February 25, 2015, 08:35:08 PM »
Hi All,

Could use some help here, I need to remove the Gas Tank to replace the air filter and having removed the rear bolt, expected that I could slide the tank to the rear and then disconnect the remaining hoses and electrical connections. The tank will not move, what have I missed here????

Mark

oldbike54

Re: 2002 California EV Gas Tank removal
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 08:46:14 PM »
 Are you lifting the rear of the tank up a bit before pulling back .

Dusty

Brooksr13

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 08:48:08 PM »
Yes I am

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 08:51:07 PM »
Pick up the back a few inches, pull back as you wiggle it side to side. Rubber pucks are dry & tight to the inside of tank.  Before you get it back too far, lift up higher and reach up under it, there is a hose connected strait under fuel cap for it's area drainage, just pressed on.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 08:51:07 PM »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 08:58:51 PM »
There are two hoses at the front, a breather and the fuel return from the pressure regulator.
Try not to remove the tank if it's more than about 1/2 full or fuel will spill out the return connection.
Do it outside, no matter how careful you are there will be fuel spilt.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 09:00:32 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 08:59:33 PM »
If it is like the 2000 Calis (exterior fuel pump) the allen is the only fastener that holds the tank in place. Disconnect the fuel line before trying to remove the tank--that may be what is keeping the tank from moving. Lift the tank and unplug connectors (make sure you don't mix them up), then wiggle the tank side to side. It's possible that the rubber pieces have glued themselves in place, so this may take quite a bit of force.

Rich A

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 09:19:15 PM »
When you get it off, don't set it on the lektrik fuel shut off !! If wires are brittle they will crack. Put a block of wood under the back tab.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 12:41:13 AM »
Once you get it off, try to blow air through the "moat drain" which is the tube down in the middle of the tunnel.  The drain gets clogged and then lets rain/wash water into the tank and forms rust.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline creaky99

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 06:21:44 AM »
I had the same problem 1st time I removed the tank, the rubbers were stuck to the tank pockets. I sprayed in some silicone lube, wiggled the tank and it finally came loose. If the rubbers are becoming brittle, there are several rubber conditioners on the market that might work to make them more pliable. I have used Sil Glyde on rubber for years, it works pretty well.
Once you go over the hill, you pick up speed!

'98 Moto Guzzi EV11

Offline papatom

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 10:15:12 PM »
Just replaced the air filter on my 02 EV.  Removed rear bolt, disconnected fuel line to pet cock, electric connection to low fuel light? return line hose clamp under front of tank, and vent line.  Couldn't pull the return line completely free, but got tank back far enough that I could get the tank high enough to get to the allen bolts on ab lid. It was a pain but doable with one person.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 01:51:52 AM »
I fixed that problem the first time I had my tank off.  I extended the lines and added marine fuel line quick disconnects.  They work like air hose couplings.  Now I don't have to tinker with that stupid return fitting or the supply side either.  I just pick up the tank, reach underneath and pop them free.  They're self-sealing on both sides so it's a drip free process and the tank doesn't spew if there's gas in it.

Offline creaky99

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 06:56:49 AM »
I fixed that problem the first time I had my tank off.  I extended the lines and added marine fuel line quick disconnects.  They work like air hose couplings.  Now I don't have to tinker with that stupid return fitting or the supply side either.  I just pick up the tank, reach underneath and pop them free.  They're self-sealing on both sides so it's a drip free process and the tank doesn't spew if there's gas in it.

Great idea!   :BEER: It's on the list.
Once you go over the hill, you pick up speed!

'98 Moto Guzzi EV11

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here