Author Topic: How Many MG Dealers?  (Read 5781 times)

Offline Hawker

• New Egg
  • Love V Twins of many incarnations.
How Many MG Dealers?
« on: February 26, 2015, 08:04:26 PM »
Anyone know how many active MG dealers there are in the U.S.?   Canada?

Thanks, just wondering.

oldbike54

Re: How Many MG Dealers?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 08:11:39 PM »
 UH OH  ;D

Dusty

Cheese

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 04:34:09 AM »
WAG? 50 or less. Bit of a moving target though.

Offline grebmrof

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 06:25:02 AM »
Guess you could query the U.S. MG website:

http://www.motoguzzi-us.com/find-dealer.html

...and tally them up, it should take long.  It says there are 12 in California alone.
'22 Royal Enfield Int650
'08 Triumph Bonneville T100

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 06:25:02 AM »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 07:22:43 AM »
Last time I checked the website it was notoriously inaccurate.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 08:48:44 AM »
Anyone know how many active MG dealers there are in the U.S.?   Canada?

Thanks, just wondering.

Bit of a moving target.

Best answer(s):

1)  Not Many.
2)  Not many of those dealers sell very many Guzzis.
3)  Not many of those dealers which sell Guzzis service very many Guzzis.
4)  Not many of those dealers which service Guzzis service enough Guzzis to be proficient at servicing Guzzis.
5)  Do Not own and ride a Guzzi in The USA if your ownership experience is heavily dependent upon the closest Guzzi dealer, or if your ownership experience requires having a network of quality dealers across the country to support your touring habits.

:D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 08:50:51 AM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Hawker

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 11:03:51 AM »
Looks like I sort of stepped in it....sorry about that.  I'm new in these parts.  I've been lurking for about a month and recently started posting, so still learning the ropes and "personality" of the forum.   

I did go to the MG USA website but the only way I could figure how to make it work, would be to click on all fifty states and keep a tally.  Figured you guys would be a bit quicker.

I've always been a Honda person with occasional forays into SV Suzuki land.  I've always loved the uniqueness of the MG and have seen a lot of them at TWO in Suches, GA.  Also, Melissa Holbrook Pierson's book,The Perfect Vehicle really piqued my interest and has to be one of my all time fave motorcycle books.  I've sold my Honda Hawk GT (still regretting it six years later) and also my SVs and I'm now looking for a replacement.  I'm rather short and light and the V7 looks like it may fit the bill. However, honesty forces me to say that I'm still a bit concerned about the infamous reputation that Moto Guzzi has/had regarding quality and repairs.  My wife won't sign off on a new one but a used 12-13 is a distinct possibility.

Thanks guys (and ladies?)
Steve

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 11:37:10 AM »
Looks like I sort of stepped in it....sorry about that.  I'm new in these parts.  I've been lurking for about a month and recently started posting, so still learning the ropes and "personality" of the forum.   

Nah.  Not really.  Just having some fun at your expense.

Welcome to the forum.

...honesty forces me to say that I'm still a bit concerned about the infamous reputation that Moto Guzzi has/had regarding quality and repairs. 

We have some really good dealers spread across The USA.  It's easy to get parts sent to you from these dealers.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of new dealers (and some who have been around), who are not real committed to the brand.  They don't stock parts, and they don't really sell enough bikes to know much about their service.

Owning Guzzis in The USA requires lots of owner involvement.  If you don't mind doing periodic maintenance and light repairs on your motorcycle, then you will find that there are some great resources in The Guzzi Community that will be of help.  You just can't expect every dealer listed on the MG webpage to be able to help you.  However, like I mentioned, we have some really good dealers for Moto Guzzi.  And, some of them can be found right here on Wild Guzzi.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Hawker

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 08:25:55 PM »
Thanks Rocker.

oldbike54

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 08:33:08 PM »
 Hawker , never ever take anything here seriously , especially if Rocker or that OB54 guy is involved  ;D

Dusty

Offline guzzi4me

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 08:52:03 PM »
Hawker , never ever take anything here seriously , especially if Rocker or that OB54 guy is involved  ;D

Dusty

Especially that oldbike54 character....used to ride a BMW and ended up buying a Jackal with 104000 miles on it...

I still reserve the right to buy it back if Dusty ever sells it!! ( He won't!!!)

In all seriousness...

If you can change oil, filters and check valves ,if needed ,a Guzzi is pretty much easy to live with.

My 02 Stone has 82k miles and just keeps going.

I support dealers by buying consumables from them and if I need a dealer for service I do have one close that is very
good..but that wouldn't stop me from buying a Guzzi if I didn't.

And you always have WildGuzzi to ask questions....some even helpful!!!

Ride safe and often,

Jeff
Jeff S
Fruita CO

01 Jackal "Mistress"...sold
02 Stone "Giada"...donated Cedar Vale raffle
16 Stone V7 II "Olivia"...racking up the miles!!

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 06:59:54 AM »
I do believe that Guzzis are generally VERY reliable and simple to work on.

But, despite being a tech writer with a professional mechanic's background, I'm not sure I'd want only a Guzzi in the garage just in case.

To be fair I wouldn't want only one anything in the garage so that might cloud the reasoning behind that opinion.

And I do LOVE my current Guzzi, a V7 Stone that has been pretty much bulletproof so far.

So if you live near one of the rare excellent dealers (where are you in GA?), or if you're ok with tackling some basic maintenance (oil changes and simple valve adjustments) then go for it and you may just fall in love too.

But if you're not near a decent dealer and don't want to get your hands dirty, find another Honda or Suzuki.

Also, don't buy a Guzzi if resale value is a concern, because it's a very small and fickle market. Though the good news is that if buying used that should work in your favor.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

two-speed

Re:
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 08:31:07 AM »
I do believe that Guzzis are generally VERY reliable and simple to work on.   :+1

But, despite being a tech writer with a professional mechanic's background, I'm not sure I'd want only a Guzzi in the garage just in case. :-\

To be fair I wouldn't want only one anything in the garage so that might cloud the reasoning behind that opinion.  :o
      Hmmm,  I thought the same thing 10 or more years ago and set up a spare Convert and have never needed it...........I'm still riding the same old Convert Paul Norris of Livermore, Ca. put "one Million miles" on. I replaced the engine before the National convention at John Day, Oregon even though the original was still running pretty good but was getting to noisey to ride!

And I do LOVE my current Guzzi, a V7 Stone that has been pretty much bulletproof so far.

So if you live near one of the rare excellent dealers (where are you in GA?), or if you're ok with tackling some basic maintenance (oil changes and simple valve adjustments) then go for it and you may just fall in love too.

But if you're not near a decent dealer and don't want to get your hands dirty, find another Honda or Suzuki.

Also, don't buy a Guzzi if resale value is a concern, because it's a very small and fickle market. Though the good news is that if buying used that should work in your favor.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here