Author Topic: I kept my EVAP Can on and look what happened...  (Read 22414 times)

Offline tonUPRacer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • My Racer FB page
Re: I kept my EVAP Can on and look what happened...
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2014, 04:07:58 PM »
Well, that was fun. Still smilin'

As an aside, I'm on my 2nd tank of running lower octane gas (89-88) per Sonic's suggestion that it would eliminate the cold start issue. So far it does seem to improve the cold start symptoms of hunting idle, but I did experience engine knock once when I let the rpm's drop and lugged the engine. I'll probably keep running the lower octane fuel to continue the experiment. Carry on.
2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)
1979 HD XLS Sportster (sold)

barenekd

« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2014, 04:14:45 PM »
The carbon in the fumes in the can are sucked into the intake manifold, remember the screw he put in one tube? That tube goes from the can into the manifold. It carries the gunk into the engine. It may have no effect on the fuel filter, but it does add carbon deposits to your combustion chamber. Another tube is the breather tube to the tank. It's there to capture the fumes from the tank that are sucked into the intake. These fume can also be sucked back into the tank as the pressure changes due to fule usage and temp changes. Those fumes can carry the charcoal back into the the tank. It's not like there any one way valve on the vent tube    
Royal Enfields have a maintenance item in their owner's manual under Preventative Maintenance to decarbonise your piston every 18,000 miles. I pitched the can on mine so that would help alleviate the problem. But in retrospect,that could be a leftover from the 1955 manual that they just boiler plated. It's a bloody cinch they didn't completely rewrite it.
Bare

Vasco DG

« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2014, 04:18:56 PM »
What I think we are seeing here is a superb example of why people who don't understand how stuff works should simply LEAVE IT ALONE!

Pete

Offline tonUPRacer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • My Racer FB page
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2014, 04:23:54 PM »
What I think we are seeing here is a superb example of why people who don't understand how stuff works should simply LEAVE IT ALONE!

Pete
or in my case, put a sticker on it.
2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)
1979 HD XLS Sportster (sold)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2014, 04:23:54 PM »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2014, 04:28:28 PM »
The carbon in the fumes in the can are sucked into the intake manifold, remember the screw he put in one tube? That tube goes from the can into the manifold. It carries the gunk into the engine. It may have no effect on the fuel filter, but it does add carbon deposits to your combustion chamber. Another tube is the breather tube to the tank. It's there to capture the fumes from the tank that are sucked into the intake. These fume can also be sucked back into the tank as the pressure changes due to fule usage and temp changes. Those fumes can carry the charcoal back into the the tank. It's not like there any one way valve on the vent tube    
Royal Enfields have a maintenance item in their owner's manual under Preventative Maintenance to decarbonise your piston every 18,000 miles. I pitched the can on mine so that would help alleviate the problem. But in retrospect,that could be a leftover from the 1955 manual that they just boiler plated. It's a bloody cinch they didn't completely rewrite it.
Bare

As I said before, they don't just empty an ashtray into a bottle and strap it to the bike.  It's a FILTER.  It's designed to keep itself intact indefinitely, and decades of no problems in any other industry using charcoal filters seems to prove the technology.  So, where do you imagine your huge volume of loose charcoal is coming from?

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2014, 04:35:46 PM »
What? You don't like gas dripping out of your bike any time you park it in the sun?

Never a problem on my 97 Cali 1100i.

Vasco DG

« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2014, 04:38:20 PM »
Also thee is the fact that the orifices in the elbows to the manifolds are tiny! If great chunks of carbon were being 'Sucked' down the lines they'd immediately become clogged. C'mon guys, just think about it logically.

As for the de-coking as mentioned in the RE manual? That's a hangover from the bad old days of crappy fuel and lousy fuel metering devices. I don't think I've seen an engine that needed de-coking to maintain its performance in thirty to forty years! ::)

Pete

Offline CalVin2007

• fickle old fool
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2014, 04:49:08 PM »
Also thee is the fact that the orifices in the elbows to the manifolds are tiny! If great chunks of carbon were being 'Sucked' down the lines they'd immediately become clogged. C'mon guys, just think about it logically.

As for the de-coking as mentioned in the RE manual? That's a hangover from the bad old days of crappy fuel and lousy fuel metering devices. I don't think I've seen an engine that needed de-coking to maintain its performance in thirty to forty years! ::)

Pete

Right. Decoking was needed when leaded fuels and oil burning were the norm, not much needed anymore unless your engine was built in some third world country from blueprints drawn up three quarters of a century ago.

Terry
'07 CalVin
 '79 TT500
 '78 SR500
 '80 SR500

oldbike54

« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2014, 04:54:55 PM »
Ohhhh , that kind of decoking  ??? ;D Thought for a minute you guys were talking about OU football  :o
   Dusty

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2014, 04:56:10 PM »
Ohhhh , that kind of decoking  ??? ;D Thought for a minute you guys were talking about OU football  :o
   Dusty

no, that's CORKING, and it's baseball.

oldbike54

« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2014, 05:03:54 PM »
no, that's CORKING, and it's baseball.

:D Actually that was a reference to the rampant cocaine use by OU football players in the 70s and 80s . Funny thing is , as long as the team won , no one cared , and OU got the best players money (or coke) could buy . They did win ,
A LOT ! :D
   Dusty

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2015, 12:48:13 PM »
I was working in the garage today and realized that I never took a picture to show off the great EVAP Canister sticker Andy sent me.

I think it looks great!

THANKS AGAIN!!!!

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2015, 02:05:18 PM »
It does look great!
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline clubman

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2015, 06:15:22 PM »
Good for you! Still have mine on my '09 V7C, still works perfectly. I may have to give it a little love after seeing this.Thx
BMW R1250RS, Ducati 821 Monster, KTM 890 Duke, Indian R1200R Carbon

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2015, 06:49:19 PM »
Probably time to start a rumor/lore about these as with "thin blue line" stickers, fairy bells, combat tassles and the like.

"Say, Bob, what's the story with that smiley face?"

"Oh, that? They're only given to.... wait, lemme see yer... uh, nevermind. So, how 'bout them Patriots?"

The hipsters will be slathered with them. :BEER:

Todd.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 06:49:50 PM by cruzziguzzi »
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2015, 06:56:09 PM »
Gremlin EVAP canisters!
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2015, 07:07:01 PM »
Oh -- this one resurfaced it's ugly head.  It was fun last year . . .    :pop

. . .and as a follow-up on my canister hose questions -- this is a timely topic.  I mounted the cans last weekend per the very helpful diagram and constructive comments about the plumbing.  I pressure tested my two fuel tanks after braising in the bungs and plugging the bung holes.  One had no leaks @10# (waaaaay higher than is probably possible in a normal world).  The other leaked at a bung braise, but only above 8#.  I redid that one and both tanks now pressurize to the point of expanding slightly -- and not unexpanding.   >:(  I had to subject them to a straight diet of rubber mallet to get them skinny enough to shove into the wells they live in.  A bench test verified the venting system.  No, I was not able to pass charcoal out of the cans and into the injectors, even with significant pressure and vacuum.  

I think we could put the myths to rest forever if someone had sufficient 'hold my beer' in them to cut the top off and look inside*.  According to the mfgr, we should see encapsulated charcoal bound to a matrix.  I suspect it would look like a tightly wound cloth or mesh with entrained charcoal.

* DO NOT take me up on this unless you have some way of cutting the can lid off without blowing yourself up.  These canisters collect fuel fumes for a living and may object to heat or spark-generating methods of getting inside.  Fear of flying is the reason I have not done this myself.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here