Author Topic: salvage / rebuilt title  (Read 7697 times)

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
salvage / rebuilt title
« on: January 30, 2015, 03:17:58 PM »
Is there anyone here that have ever bought a motorcycle with a rebuilt title ?
If you could go back , will you do it again ?

I have found a motorcycle with a rebuilt title , the bike is completely stock , start and ride as it should , everything works. ( the PO fixed it all up )
I did some search on the DMV website and it looks like the next step will be fill up a some paperworks , take the bike to be inspected , fill up some more paperworks and withing 4 to 6 weeks title will be issued .

Moneywise talking it looks like it will be around 400/500 bucks total .( inspection fee plus title fee plus registration and taxes )

Advice?
what am i getting myself into ?

Thanks a lot
Marco

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
Re: salvage / rebuilt title
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 03:29:56 PM »
Plus side is low price
Negative is low resale
Are you a rider or investor?
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 03:51:49 PM »
If you buy the bike and go for title, any problems with the providence of parts or paperwork is on YOU.  For example, if the VIN comes back stolen during the inspection, you give the bike back to the legal owner, lose your $$$$ and possibly face legal action for receiving stolen property.  There are certainly other scenarios.

Check you state's rules to see if you can put a salvage title back on the street.

Bottom line -- I'd make the PO generate the current bona-fides and inspections before committing to a purchase.  Otherwise you might have a complete, running parts bike that you can't sell the pieces off of (which might be where the PO is right now).

$0.02, ymmv, say hi to mom.

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 04:03:59 PM »
Plus side is low price
Negative is low resale
Are you a rider or investor?

It's cali carbed bike , want to used it to build my own motorcycle , will keep it forever. ( right now it's bone stock )

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 04:03:59 PM »

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 04:05:31 PM »
If you buy the bike and go for title, any problems with the providence of parts or paperwork is on YOU.  For example, if the VIN comes back stolen during the inspection, you give the bike back to the legal owner, lose your $$$$ and possibly face legal action for receiving stolen property.  There are certainly other scenarios.

Check you state's rules to see if you can put a salvage title back on the street.

Bottom line -- I'd make the PO generate the current bona-fides and inspections before committing to a purchase.  Otherwise you might have a complete, running parts bike that you can't sell the pieces off of (which might be where the PO is right now).

$0.02, ymmv, say hi to mom.

mmhh did not think about it , good point .
thanks

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 04:06:01 PM »

:+1. Everybody on CL selling a salvage bike will tell you how easy it is to get a good salvage title. There is a reason they don't do it and that is there is no guarantee it will happen it takes a long time and a lot of running around.

Have the current owner get a good transferable title in his name and offer to pay him $400 extra for his trouble. If not walk away.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 04:09:33 PM »
It's cali carbed bike , want to used it to build my own motorcycle , will keep it forever. ( right now it's bone stock )

A good carbed Cali will only generate $2,500 - $3,000 in good condition and with a good title. You have an option of finding a frame with a good title and swapping everything over.

In its current state I wouldn't pay more than $900 for it. With a good salvage title maybe $1,500.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 04:11:01 PM by Perazzimx14 »
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 04:11:05 PM »

It depends entirely on the state you are in. It's very easy in Indiana. At any rate, it is the sellers responsibility to get the salvage title.  As mentioned above, it lessens the value of the bike, but if it is done well, it can be a good buy.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 04:16:34 PM »
A clean frame with title can still give you fits if the bill of sale and title transfer paperwork isn't in order.  For example, I bought a cali frame from a member here.  It was delivered with a title in the PO's name rather than the member's name.  Unless I can find my way back to the guy who's name is on it and convince him to do the transfer paperwork, I can't do anything with the frame except cut it up and throw it away.  My state won't accept 3rd party transfer work.  So once again, insist on complete, and correct paper.

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 04:40:05 PM »
A clean frame with title can still give you fits if the bill of sale and title transfer paperwork isn't in order.  For example, I bought a cali frame from a member here.  It was delivered with a title in the PO's name rather than the member's name.  Unless I can find my way back to the guy who's name is on it and convince him to do the transfer paperwork, I can't do anything with the frame except cut it up and throw it away.  My state won't accept 3rd party transfer work.  So once again, insist on complete, and correct paper.

Email sent
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 04:49:22 PM »
States differ so much that there is no blanket answer.  In some states you can actually have the bike inspected by the State Police and then get a normal title, if you can show that the bike is like new...ie, all the busted stuff has been replaced.  Other states issue a salvage title and your value is in the toilet.  I bought a ST2 back from the insurance company, fixed everything (all cosmetic), rode the bike for a couple years, and traded it in on a Multistrada.  I believe the dealer later had it inspected and got a new, clean, title.

Peter Y.

Oh, salvage value is usually about 30-40% of KBB.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 05:25:25 PM »
Ok , thank you all for the heads up.

I will give my local DMV a call and ask few information , the seller saying he has a Rebuilt title .

On the NY DMV website i found good info , but i better call and also run the vin # ( just in case )

http://dmv.ny.gov/registration/about-salvage-vehicle-examination

I am also going to try to offer the seller more money and ask to obtain a clear title in his name....  otherwise i should just gonna walk away, plenty of cali out there but not so many carbed tho...

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 06:08:56 PM »
The final thing to do is have the seller go to DMV with you as the transfer happens.  That way he can answer any questions and you can hand him his cash when the title goes to your name.  Remember -- until the papers are signed, he has the goods AND the money . . . .

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 06:10:04 PM »
I ran into this sort of nightmare just dealing with an old Honda Passport without a title. Holy Mother of god what a hassle. The registry was adamant in their demand to keep me from titling that little thing.  I would never, ever, go through it again.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 09:58:48 PM »
This is a good thread.  Out in the desert you'll find old bikes that are abandoned.  You can always go to the sheriffs office to run the vin.  What happens next, I have no idea.  I bought a bike from the owners friend, (who had passed away)  No paperwork at all, not sure what route to go, but the vin is clean
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 10:07:59 PM by NCAmother »

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 10:45:12 PM »
If one always keeps the purchase amount at "parts" money it's unlikely one can really go wrong. From time to time I've run across fellas asking straight-up blue-book for salvage/private builder titles and assuring would-be buyers that the bike only got that title due to a glitch in their DMVs interpretation of the vehicles status.

Sure, that'll help you out when you find out later that the frame is stressed-bent-cracked or the engine has been run out of oil once... or twice sitting on its side.

Parts only, ever, no exceptions for me. A great example is this one:

It has a standard title and were I "that guy" I could build it up and sell it on, none the wiser.

Todd.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 10:48:34 PM by cruzziguzzi »
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2015, 12:18:56 AM »
I bought a V11 Sport that had been written off by the insurance company, broken headlight and brackets and a scratch on the muffler.
I spoke to the local bike shop, no problem bring it in and we will get it re-inspected.
Since it was written off I couldn't buy regular but I was able to buy point to point insurance and rode it from the previous owner to the shop.
The shop loaded it on a trailer and took it for inspection.

Needless to say I buy my tires from that shop now, and point any business I can their way.

Here in BC if you find a bike that's obviously abandoned there's quite a simple process to get a new title in your name.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 10:56:09 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 02:00:41 AM »
It all depends on your states DMV. I bought an ambassador that had been in storage for 25 years. It came with the original title (out of state) in the original owners name (who had since passed away) and a bill of sale from the retired dealer who took it in on trade and had put it away. The DMV was having none of it. Giant PITA that took me months to get sorted. That was with an original title. After that I don't think I'd mess with getting a salvage title. If the seller already has one, then it's a different story.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 02:05:08 AM by Turin »
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2015, 05:52:48 AM »
My car had a previous salvage title. It was totaledby the insurance co for hail damage. Amazing what they call "totaled". A guy bought it at auction, then took it to the highway patrol for inspection they looked in all the spots where the VIN is stamped to ensure it wasn't a chop shop job. He then got a title in his name and sold it to me. I paid $3500 for a 2005 Taurus with 78k miles and minor hail damage four years ago.
Title states vehicle had prior salvage title but the title history is documented.
Doesnt matter to me I'm driving it til it drops.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2015, 06:35:33 AM »
 I live in NY and have dealt with a salvage title vehicle. The bike after it's assembled and looks road worthy needs to be hauled to a DMV examination site. Not like a a private repair shop used for annual inspection but the state run facilities manned by plain clothes state police. They will take the bike behind closed doors and check serial numbers on all parts,look for any shoddy repairs etc. Then if ok your papers are signed and off you go to the DMV to get a title or transferable registration depending on the year of the vehicle. NY has no titles on 72 and older vehicles....This procedure takes a bit of time but goes smoothly if you do it all by the numbers. Remember to smile ...
  Forms are available online.. more info..http://dmv.ny.gov/registration/about-salvage-vehicle-examination

Offline rbm

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2015, 07:14:35 AM »
I bought a V11 Sport that had been written off by the insurance company, broken headlight and brackets and a scratch on the muffler.
I spoke to the local bike shop, no problem bring it in and we will get it re-inspected.
Needless to say I buy my tires there now.

Here in BC if you find a bike that's obviously abandoned there's quite a simple process to get a new title in your name.
There's obvious provincial differences.  In Ontario, there is no salvage title for motorcycles, only cars.  Motorcycles are either branded None or irreparable (IRR).  IRR and can never be rebranded for road use. A US motorcycle with any salvage history that is imported to Ontario gets branded IRR and it becomes a parts or track bike.  I think CBSA enforce that rule on all entry points in Canada; can anyone confirm?
- Robert

2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
1987 BMW K75 @k75retro.blogspot.ca

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2015, 10:23:23 AM »
Looks like you got your answers.  I was curious about this also for the state of Tennessee so went to the TDOT website.  Not quoting, but general requirements were that all parts used to repair the insurance company's documented damage had to be new, OEM with receipts provided, and if any parts were say from your stock or NOS from Ebay, the VIN of the parts original vehicle also had to be provided.  No used parts for the repair.  Then all the repairs are inspected.  You can't turn a salvaged bike into a custom.

That could be expensive if hidden damage is found to the frame, like steering head cups out of round, crunched electronics, etc.

Tobit

Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2015, 10:26:28 AM »
I live in NY and have dealt with a salvage title vehicle. The bike after it's assembled and looks road worthy needs to be hauled to a DMV examination site. Not like a a private repair shop used for annual inspection but the state run facilities manned by plain clothes state police. They will take the bike behind closed doors and check serial numbers on all parts,look for any shoddy repairs etc. Then if ok your papers are signed and off you go to the DMV to get a title or transferable registration depending on the year of the vehicle. NY has no titles on 72 and older vehicles....This procedure takes a bit of time but goes smoothly if you do it all by the numbers. Remember to smile ...
  Forms are available online.. more info..http://dmv.ny.gov/registration/about-salvage-vehicle-examination

That's the way it works in Virginia.   At the large, full-service DMV offices, there is an area where Virginia State Police (not clerks or bureaucrats) actually work.   You have to ask to know where to find them.  

I have gone to them in the past about salvage titles, foreign titles, and how to get my name off of a title where it's shared with another person and I don't want my name there any more.   Each time, I got specific, professional answers about how to deal with the situation ... and, when it's done, I have the paperwork or affidavits that I can take upstairs to the clerk and they will process them without question.

For example, I was helping out a guy one time and had my name jointly on his car title with him.   It all went pear-shaped, and I wanted out - didn't want money, wanted out.   He wouldn't sign the title to transfer it from OUR names to just HIS name.   So I went to the Police at the DMV, described the situation, and he told me exactly how to handle it.   The process isn't in writing ANYWHERE, but it worked fine.

Similar for getting a title for a non-titled vehicle.   You give them a bill-of-sale, or sign an affidavit saying that you got it off your property abandoned, or whatever, then leave it with them.   They'll check it over, check your story, and if it's all OK they'll give you a certificate that will let you go to the DMV clerk and get a title.   Doesn't cost a thing for the overcheck, unless you're a crook or the bike was stolen in the past, then you're hosed ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2015, 11:40:21 AM »

Similar for getting a title for a non-titled vehicle.   You give them a bill-of-sale, or sign an affidavit saying that you got it off your property abandoned, or whatever, then leave it with them.   They'll check it over, check your story, and if it's all OK they'll give you a certificate that will let you go to the DMV clerk and get a title.   Doesn't cost a thing for the overcheck, unless you're a crook or the bike was stolen in the past, then you're hosed ....

Lannis

In NY 72 and older vehicles are not titled, just a transferable registration stub. Several times I have bought bikes and trucks with no titles or paperwork of any kind. The only proof NY requires is a pencil tracing of the serial number ,a simple form swearing that you are the rightful owner.Nothing else..I also show up with a insurance card to show I mean business  because the whole transaction is up to the DMV manager. And money,NY just wants your money...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 11:41:09 AM by Rough Edge racing »

bpreynolds

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2015, 02:10:49 PM »
Not sure it would matter to you but last time I checked - when I had a previous company - I could not get my insurance folks to even talk to me about any kind of insurance as it pertained to a rebuilt or salvage bike. 

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2015, 02:37:45 PM »
I think in California you can get a new title for a "custom bike" or "classic". I don't know what the fees are or what qualifications you need

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here