Author Topic: Norge question  (Read 4437 times)

Offline dl.allen

• Gaggle Mentor
Norge question
« on: March 04, 2017, 06:55:42 PM »
2012 norge
I have the flickering neutral light so wanted to go in and tighten connection
What is the minimum stuff to remove to get to it?
Thanks

pete roper

Re: Norge question
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 07:55:19 PM »
All the right hand side plastics I'd thing and it will still be a bastard to get to.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 01:02:26 AM »
2012 norge
I have the flickering neutral light so wanted to go in and tighten connection
What is the minimum stuff to remove to get to it?
Thanks
Mine's an '07 mate, and I had the same issue @ 50,000  air box off and it's right there if memory serves... down at the ass end around the gearbox from memory.  Really, about 30 minutes in and about 50 or so back out if you don't bust something. I crimped mine tight and zip tied the lead to the switch, (I think !) Anyway, it's been perfect since...
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 01:03:38 AM by Huzo »

pete roper

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 01:19:09 AM »
There ya go. I haven't had to get to one on a Norge, on most of them it's a prick of a job, or I've just been approaching it the wrong way! Not unknown.... :laugh:

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 01:19:09 AM »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 01:33:15 AM »
There ya go. I haven't had to get to one on a Norge, on most of them it's a prick of a job, or I've just been approaching it the wrong way! Not unknown.... :laugh:

Pete
Pretty bloody rare though I'd wager !

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 01:53:49 AM »
Also don't try to fit the air box with the TB clamps attached, they're easy to fit last and the snorkels will slide on as easy as you know what, with a smear of rubber grease, (sound familiar?), without the stupid clamps in the way, it's piss easy. Keep a goodly forward pressure on the 'box when nipping up the clamps and check that the snorkels have gone properly over the TB's and they are still fitted correctly onto the side of the air box. Finally, if you GENTLY ease the wiring loom out to the right a bit the air box will go in easier, but it's still a tight fit, but not impossible, (just).

Offline frans belgium

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 03:31:44 AM »
Don't know about the Norge, but it's a pita on the B11.  Sits at the rear end of the bike, behind the gearbox. We had to take off the gastank and partly lift the air filter to get to it. Maybe we overdid ;-)
Owned and sold: V65, Nevada, 2xCali, Breva 1100, Norge 8V, Breva 1100 with Squire sidecar
Currently own: V85 TT

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 04:19:32 AM »
Don't know about the Norge, but it's a pita on the B11.  Sits at the rear end of the bike, behind the gearbox. We had to take off the gastank and partly lift the air filter to get to it. Maybe we overdid ;-)
That sounds right.

Offline Scott of the Sahara

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 08:20:17 AM »
For all of that work, I wouldn't care if my neutral light worked at all.

Offline dl.allen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 09:21:10 AM »
For all of that work, I wouldn't care if my neutral light worked at all.
Except on the side stand the flickering neutral kills the engine

Thanks for all replies
I may go after it today

Bill Hagan

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 09:40:15 AM »
Also don't try to fit the air box with the TB clamps attached, they're easy to fit last and the snorkels will slide on as easy as you know what, with a smear of rubber grease, (sound familiar?), without the stupid clamps in the way, it's piss easy. Keep a goodly forward pressure on the 'box when nipping up the clamps and check that the snorkels have gone properly over the TB's and they are still fitted correctly onto the side of the air box. Finally, if you GENTLY ease the wiring loom out to the right a bit the air box will go in easier, but it's still a tight fit, but not impossible, (just).

I have removed and replaced mine more times than I care to recall, and, despite such practice with it and generally following of the method you describe, I would not ever think to describe it as "piss easy."   :shocked:

If I knew who designed it that way  :violent1:, I'd shoot him without even offering him a last smoke.   :evil:

I'd use the same wall for the fellow who did the fuel "quick release."   :wink:

Bill

Offline dl.allen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 09:55:11 AM »
So to remove tank is jut the rear bolt the 2 electrical connections and the fuel line?

Offline dl.allen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 06:24:46 PM »
Well I got the tank off and airbox out
Might need therapy after that
Neutral wire was wiggly loose so gave it a little crimp and put it back on and zip tied it.

I think will drop in an air filter why I'm there.  Anything else I should do before closing the patients chest?

facebook com upload photos
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 06:31:43 PM by dl.allen »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 08:13:53 PM »
Except on the side stand the flickering neutral kills the engine

Thanks for all replies
I may go after it today
Even if it didn't kill the engine, not fixing it is BS. You'll enjoy overcoming the problem.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 08:15:12 PM »
So to remove tank is jut the rear bolt the 2 electrical connections and the fuel line?
Yep, near enough.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 08:16:32 PM »
Neutral wire was wiggly loose so gave it a little crimp and put it back on and zip tied it.

I think will drop in an air filter why I'm there.  Anything else I should do before closing the patients chest?

facebook com upload photos

Breaking a bottle of champers over it may please the " Gods" BTW, it never gets "easier", just less hard but I don't have any trouble since I started using rubber grease on the snorkels, and putting the clamps on last, as mentioned. Now as I said, mine's an '07, so it may be easier than a later one... 'Can't say.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 08:20:28 PM by Huzo »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 08:55:01 PM »
I have removed and replaced mine more times than I care to recall, and, despite such practice with it and generally following of the method you describe, I would not ever think to describe it as "piss easy."   :shocked:

If I knew who designed it that way  :violent1:, I'd shoot him without even offering him a last smoke.   :evil:

Bill

You forgot the sadist that drilled the twin plug's inner spark plug hole.  340* to work with and he chose to drill it THERE?

Offline dl.allen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2017, 09:13:52 PM »
Thanks huzo I will try the grease
On work travel all next week so will be a while till good get back to it

Time heals all mental wounds.

I did get lucky and the fuel connector separated fairly easily!

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2017, 09:45:00 PM »
Thanks huzo I will try the grease
On work travel all next week so will be a while till good get back to it

Time heals all mental wounds.

I did get lucky and the fuel connector separated fairly easily!
Yeah those connectors are not too bad if you push, pull, twist clockwise and anticlockwise, lift up and down and heat and cool them all at the same time ! They literally "fall" off.... In pieces !

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2017, 07:10:43 AM »
Darn It.

I was all the way in there sorting the oil pressure switch out last week. If I'd known the neural light could play up I'd have done a premtive strike and fixed it before it thought about going wrong

The rubber greease sounds like a plan though :thumb:
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2017, 07:50:07 AM »
I use silicone spray on the rubbers to go on TB's. You could also clean the inside of TB's w/carb cleaner and shoot some through the air bypass screw port & clean off screws.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Bill Hagan

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2017, 10:18:04 AM »

You forgot the sadist that drilled the twin plug's inner spark plug hole.  340* to work with and he chose to drill it THERE?

Yup.  Bring him to The Wall.   :whip2:

<snip>

You might look around for fasteners that have lost their way and other stowaways.

In "The Valley," I usually find one or more "where-did-that-go" items I had over the last year or so looked fruitlessly on the shop floor for for more minutes than I would care to admit.   :rolleyes:

Oh, and mebbe check oil line integrity and fittings tightness?

Watch some old Navy movies to learn some new and helpful cursing techniques for the reinstallation of the airbox.  No soldiers, airmen, or marines can equal the imagination of sailors in such circumstances.   :grin:

Pray, too, that your tank, freed from its retaining bolt, has not swollen to point it cannot be replaced.  If so, watch more youtube videos of colorful language.  :shocked:

When ordeal is over, post -- or ask your executrix to do it in your stead  :evil: -- your adventure's outcome.

Bill
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 01:53:10 PM by Bill Hagan »

Offline AH Fan

• Gaggle Mentor
  • small stable of Italian stuff
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2017, 01:29:08 PM »

Bill

Your a funny man Bill........   :laugh:

Offline rogershuff

• New Egg
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2018, 12:37:18 PM »
Following this useful thread. I'm about to investigate my 2007 Norge neutral switch (OK when cold, not when hot). What nobody's mentioned is that if the neutral switch doesn't work, you need to pull the clutch in to start the engine. If your clutch cutout switch is no good, engine won't start. Guess how I know this ... Anyway I just removed the RH footrest and brake mounting plate thinking that would allow access to the switch but it doesn't. My tank is off at the moment so it's the airbox next. Thanks to those who have gone before.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2018, 12:50:50 PM »
You might just want to re-seat the connector.  I've had to do it on my Sport a couple of times.  This can disable the bike.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Harper's Moto Guzzi : Go Ride, Break Parts, Call me!
Harper's Moto Guzzi. Where we still answer the phone, use the highest quality parts, and also do Transmission, rear drive, and carb rebuilds fast. Call us at 816.697.3411 and get your problems resolved.
http://www.harpermoto.com
Advertise Here

Harper's Moto Guzzi : Go Ride, Break Parts, Call me!
Harper's Moto Guzzi. Where we still answer the phone, use the highest quality parts, and also do Transmission, rear drive, and carb rebuilds fast. Call us at 816.697.3411 and get your problems resolved.
http://www.harpermoto.com
Advertise Here