Author Topic: 2015 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone - Questions from a New Owner  (Read 23462 times)

Vasco DG

Re: 2015 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone - Questions from a New Owner
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2015, 02:50:36 AM »
Good grief! Stop sooking on about the pipe colour! Just ride it and enjoy it! You aren't planning on licking the headers are you? After a ride that wouldn't be overly smart.....

Pete

moss

« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2015, 02:59:56 AM »
Good grief! Stop sooking on about the pipe colour! Just ride it and enjoy it! You aren't planning on licking the headers are you? After a ride that wouldn't be overly smart.....

Pete

I will take that as "its your OCD"

:)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2015, 06:37:27 AM »
I understand the concern over the headers, but must defer to Pete's experience. Keep an eye on it after the break-in service, but don't be too OCD till then.

As for top speed, can't say for sure. Mine will do the ton with me (a big guy) on it, but not much more I suspect.

That said I distinctly remember the bike feeling tight for the first few thousand miles (reluctant on the highway, like I was asking too much of it even though it had power left, maybe it was using more throttle then I thought it should need at the time). Now 8k miles later it seems much more willing to run 80 mph, but I still prefer it below highway speeds.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

moss

Re:
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2015, 10:16:01 AM »
I understand the concern over the headers, but must defer to Pete's experience. Keep an eye on it after the break-in service, but don't be too OCD till then.

As for top speed, can't say for sure. Mine will do the ton with me (a big guy) on it, but not much more I suspect.

That said I distinctly remember the bike feeling tight for the first few thousand miles (reluctant on the highway, like I was asking too much of it even though it had power left, maybe it was using more throttle then I thought it should need at the time). Now 8k miles later it seems much more willing to run 80 mph, but I still prefer it below highway speeds.

Thanks man. Sorry to harp on it so much, I'm too new to this kinda stuff I suppose!

Wildguzzi.com

Re:
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2015, 10:16:01 AM »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2015, 10:42:36 AM »
Meh, harp all you want, no big deal...
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2015, 02:32:56 PM »
Congrats on the bike! My next one will probably be a V7 Stone or Racer (to replace my beloved Thruxton, which I needed to unload to make room in my budget for my Norge).

My Thruxton's headers turned a beautiful shade of bluish gold. It took a few miles, and I don't think they turned at the same rate. Give it some more miles.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Loftness

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2015, 05:42:16 PM »
For what it's worth mine blued completely differently as well.  Now they're equally blue.
Fletch

2013 V7 Stone
1984 V65sp
1986 Vespa T5
1974 BMW R90/6

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2015, 07:54:30 PM »
Like all good pair of ta ta's... they aint identical.  Don't worry, just ride it.  ~; ;-T
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2015, 10:41:49 PM »
Don't worry.   Don't obsess.  Just ride it.  A lot.  That's the Guzzi way.   

And Kev is right.   Mine seemed tight and stiff when new.  Everything I heard indicated that they take a long time to get broken in.   I now tend to agree.  Maybe it's just in my head, or maybe I just got used to its quirks and character, but I'd say after 24,000 miles, my 13 Stone just gets better and "looser" the more I ride it.  Engine, transmission, everything. 

As to top speed, mine will do a GPS indicated 105 mph with me (heavy old guy, with saddlebags, level road, no wind).  But it is not "happy" maxed out like that.   On the other hand, I routinely cruise at indicated 85-90, and it's very "happy" at that velocity.   I've done that all day. 

I still think these bikes are like the old BMW airheads.   Will cruise all day at 85.   Feels good there.  But 100 or more is asking too much.   It can do it.   But really, get an FJR or something if you need really that capability.  (I don't).
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

chellaton

« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2015, 09:01:55 AM »
Gentlemen & Ladies,

I am a new V7 stone owner in the Atlanta area, and had the same issue with the gear pedal bolt loosening, and the gear getting stuck in 1 - in Atlanta traffic - which is bad.  Now I know I need to get the blue loctite to hold this and may be more bolts in place.

This is my first bike, so the idea that bolts will loosen because of vibration and the solution - one never thinks of that in cars(!)... that was very helpful.

2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2015, 09:13:01 AM »
Hi All!

May I get back to the question of the proper adjustment of the clutch cable? I have read several discussions regarding this here at Wildguzzi, but still I am not sure I have understood the right procedure: It was recommended that a free play of at least 1/8 inch (aboit 4 mm) should be achieved. But: how do you define "free play"? Is it that it feels as if nothing is moved, activated, or put under pull, or is "free play" actually that, meaning, if I pull the handle the lever at the gearcase does not move for some millimeters?

I have set the clutch in a way that I sat on the Stone, engine not running, first gear selected, clutch handle fully pulled. Moving around the bike I let go the handle until I felt the engagement of the clutch. This point then I put into the middle of the handle movement. The shifting is better than anytime before, no problems at all, be the engine cold or warm. But I fear the clutch release bearing could be damaged.

Freeplay is at the lever on the bars.  That's achieved by adjusting the cable.  You should be able to move the lever inward with zero resistance and not activating anything.  Sounds like you're good.  I typically like my clutch engagement to be before the middle of lever travel (while pulling the lever in).
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2015, 09:28:53 AM »
Gentlemen & Ladies,

I am a new V7 stone owner in the Atlanta area, and had the same issue with the gear pedal bolt loosening, and the gear getting stuck in 1 - in Atlanta traffic - which is bad.  Now I know I need to get the blue loctite to hold this and may be more bolts in place.

This is my first bike, so the idea that bolts will loosen because of vibration and the solution - one never thinks of that in cars(!)... that was very helpful.

2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Welcome to the fold and enjoy the bike.

Yeah, bolts loosen... a lot of motorcycles (and a lot of outboards too) list "Check/Tighten all fasteners" as part of their regular maintenance.

I'll be honest, I don't... but sometimes I should.

I think I more wait to see something that loosens, then I use Loctite (if appropriate) or locknuts, or star washers or something.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here