Author Topic: I've had it. Seriously considering throwing in the towel.  (Read 19852 times)

Offline bobbyfromnc

• Gosling
    • Bobby Writes
I've had it. Seriously considering throwing in the towel.
« on: July 01, 2015, 09:00:21 AM »
I was happy to read the 2015 Virgina MG rally was a success. I wanted to attend, but I wanted to ride up on my own bike, not the loaner I have had for 3 plus weeks now. While it was nice of the dealership to give me a loaner... ( this is the 3rd time my bike has been at the dealership for the same problem ) I have only ridden the loaner twice. I believe in the Guzzi brand, but if I can't have it serviced properly whats the point of having it. I am fed up. They have had that bike about as much as I have now since I purchased it in March. I am fed up. I called Guzzi USA 3 weeks ago and left a message, then again a day or two later... NOTHING. I finally reached Guzzi USA on 6/30/2015. I calmly expressed my disappointment in them for not making an effort to contact me. Gave them my VIN # and the dealerships #. What the point in having a bike that the dealership can't seem to fix. FRUSTRATED isn't really the best descriptive at this point.

Update to this thread...

Thanks for all input... To help bring all up to speed, here are some previous comments I have made in other threads concerning this situation...

posted on 28 April 2015;

I have been encountering one issue right after another since I purchased my Norge in March 2015. I am certainly trying to remain optimistic.
1. Ran out of gas, problem underneath fuel tank... Parts ordered, mean while I refilled every 150 miles, went on a trip to Atlanta Ga and back, ran great no issues other than incorrect fuel level showing on gauge.

2. Upon returning from Atlanta I did a thorough cleaning and noticed oil on right cylinder near fuel intake, mean while parts to fix fuel gauge readings came in and I informed them of oil leaking on right cylinder, appointment set, for last Friday and they would look at that as well. It is a 200 mile round trip for me to dealership and back... really no big deal to me.

Went to the appointment, fuel gauge problem fixed, seems that during first service a gasket was compromised by dealership. Necessary parts will have to be ordered, they will call me to schedule this repair, fine no problem... Stuff happens.

Rode the bike back home, ran great, fuel gauge working accurately. Stopped at my normal gas stop to refuel. This is an older real service station so its not uncommon to smell gas there, so I thought nothing much of it. Put the bike up.

3. We had rain for two straight days here in NC on 25, 26 April 2015. Monday beautiful weather, I decide to ride so I go to where a buddy and myself share a space to keep our bikes. I smell gas before I get to the roll up door. Once inside I am greeted by a pond of gas. on floor underneath the bike. Stuff happens, not really mad but darn this is frustrating. Trying real hard to be optimistic, if this had happened 30 years ago I would be exploding over this. I'm trying really hard not to go there.

Posted on 2 June 2015;

First thing let me say up front I knew of the scarcity of Guzzi dealers when I purchased my Norge. I've read to much Guzzi good than the flipside... Guzzi bad. I have been more than accommodating and patient with my dealer...

I purchased a new 2012 Norge demo with 1500 miles on it in March of this year. I ran out of gas because of a faulty part in the tank that sends info to the gauge on the dash. Warranty covered it. Dealer called when part came in. Not once but twice trying to do original repair problems arose due to what I will call a lack of attention to detail. On first repair attempt I rode a hundred miles home only to find a pond of gas under the bike two days later. Dealer picked the bike up. The bike never leaked for them over about 10 days. So after that attempt  I went and picked up the bike got halfway home got off the highway and poof a cloud on blue smoke briefly rolled out from the bottom of the bike. Looked under the bike and noticed a hose almost melted into on top of the exhaust Compensator this just didn't look right to me. Also the clear overflow hose with stopper was nowhere to be seen. A "week" later they picked up the bike (thats a whole other story) and another 10 days pass and the bike is delivered. The bike runs really good and attention to details was very good this time. I believe in the Guzzi brand, but Guzzi USA has got to stay on top of its dealer network. Its crap like this that can help sink the brand's reputation. The dealer made it good but my 100 % faith in them is not there right now. Hopefully this will not be how it is in the future but an isolated event. I want a good trusting Dealer / Customer relationship with them because frankly the next closest dealers are a few hundred miles away. I've done my part by being nice and they made it right, we'll see what the future holds, but I truly do believe in the Guzzi brand.

Hopefully I have explained my frustration. BK
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 08:00:09 AM by bobbyfromnc »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: I've had it. Seriously considering throwing in the towel.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 09:12:51 AM »
I feel your pain. His has been an ongoing problem with MG since I first became enamored with them in the 90s. Not only are there very few dealers, only a very of the existing dealers have a mechanic that is capable of working on them. :rolleyes:
I'd say that you are either going to have to take it to a 'competent" dealer or move on if you can't fix it yourself. <shrug>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 09:27:09 AM »
maybe post the problem and your area? Lot of experienced helpful people here.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 09:32:24 AM »
Knowing what bike and what problem might be helpful ...
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 09:32:24 AM »

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 09:57:44 AM »
Sent you a PM that might help.

Good luck.

Offline bobbyfromnc

• Gosling
    • Bobby Writes
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 09:58:51 AM »
Leaking oil on cylinder.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 09:59:32 AM »
Yes, what bike do you have, and where are you located?

Norge?

North Carolina?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 10:03:17 AM by JeffOlson »
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 10:00:59 AM »
Leaking oil on cylinder.

Oh, that helps.    :undecided:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline bobbyfromnc

• Gosling
    • Bobby Writes
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 10:05:27 AM »
Heard from Guzzi USA just now. The needed parts... Some breather thing on each cylinder are bad. Dealership does not have parts. (They told me a week ago they ordered parts and should have been in that tuesday or wed of last week) Guzzi USA does not have them and will have to order from Italy. (FUMES)

Offline bobbyfromnc

• Gosling
    • Bobby Writes
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 10:08:17 AM »
Yes, what bike do you have, and where are you located?

Norge?

North Carolina?

Norge/ North Carolina.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 12:15:14 PM »
Well if the leaks weren't too profuse why couldn't you have ridden it 'till the parts came in?  I know it shouldn't be this way but with a Guzzi under warranty it is.  In fact on a trip maybe you could have stopped @ a more competent MG dealer and they could have fixed it for you.

Bill Hagan

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 12:57:23 PM »

Heard from Guzzi USA just now. The needed parts... Some breather thing on each cylinder are bad. Dealership does not have parts. (They told me a week ago they ordered parts and should have been in that tuesday or wed of last week) Guzzi USA does not have them and will have to order from Italy. (FUMES)

I am not the king of nomenclature and use such descriptives as "thingamabob," etc.   :laugh:

But could you be a bit more specific as to the "some breather thing on each cylinder?"    :undecided:

Are you possibly referring to the rubber boots or "snorkels" that run from airbox to the throttle bodies?

Would not think that those would "leak" oil except to the extent that excess oil ends up in the air box.

Anyway, if so, I ordered some from Harpers for my brother's 2012 Norge (because Guzzi HQ's said none in US), and they (Harpers) might still have some.

Ended up not using the ones I ordered, and gave those to Larry ("Lash," here), who could probably launch 'em to you if, indeed, those are the items.

Will say that I have noticed that those expletive-deleteds are a PITA to install, and if a tech were new to the sport or in a hurry or ham-fisted or all of those and more, it's easy to muck 'em up. Silicone, patience, persuasive cursing  :wink: work for me. 

Sure would be a shame if that was all that is giving you fits.

Again, tho, can you get a better part description (and #) so we can be of some help?

Best wishes in this; we have all "been there."

Bill

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 03:19:12 PM »
Been there with Guzzi and BMW. I don't really understand it. I can get an oil pump for a 1956 Ariel Square 4 from England in 3 business days! How is it the distributor of a modern bike can't come up with a part in a reasonable period of time?
Joe Walano

father guzzi obrian

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 03:24:50 PM »
Good thing Eldo parts are still readily available :laugh:

Vasco DG

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 04:21:28 PM »
If it's leaking from the breather plates they are sealed with o-rings available at any bearing factor or a thin smear of threebond. If the hoses are leaking? On a new bike it is probably the clamps. Replace the clamps, also available at any bearing factor.

Pete

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 04:54:57 PM »
If it's leaking from the breather plates they are sealed with o-rings available at any bearing factor or a thin smear of threebond. If the hoses are leaking? On a new bike it is probably the clamps. Replace the clamps, also available at any bearing factor.

Pete
Pete, you are correct but, I believe the problem lies with the dealership service department not knowing how to fix it and the distributor not supplying the parts. The guy buys a new bike and it spends more time in the shop than with him. I had that happen with my 2000 V11 Sport, after 3 summers spending more than 12 weeks in the shop, I sold it and bought a Triumph, it never let me down!
Joe Walano

Vasco DG

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2015, 05:11:18 PM »
Oh I agree Joe, it's unbelievably feeble. I just don't understand why it can't be fixed, even temporarily, so the poor bastard can get back on the road? It's a breather FFS! It's not like it's got a rod hanging out of the side of the crankcase!

Pete

kris

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2015, 05:16:49 PM »
I had had this same problem on my brand new Norge.  Simple o-ring replacement and some threebond(recommended by Pete) for insurance and it's good as new! Think I got the o-ring from AF1 racing or Hansens.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2015, 05:44:48 PM »
Oh I agree Joe, it's unbelievably feeble. I just don't understand why it can't be fixed, even temporarily, so the poor bastard can get back on the road? It's a breather FFS! It's not like it's got a rod hanging out of the side of the crankcase!

I've seen this a number of times. Where an otherwise good dealership will let a bike sit for weeks, or even months, for lack of an o-ring or rubber hose, that can be sourced a few minutes away at an auto parts store. It is as if there is a contract stating that only factory rubber hoses can be used.
Remember the fuel pump in the tank with the lines that blows off. And some dealers would simply push that line back on, multiple times. They didn't dare think about correcting it.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2015, 05:58:36 PM »
I like your little pic there, Wayne.

The flip side of the frustration is the guy with the warranty who knows it's a simple o-ring but since he has the warranty he stands on his 'entitlement' to having it replaced by the shop.  The shop is slow getting to it, the guy loses a riding season for a job he could have done himself -- and blames it on the shop.

canuguzzi

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2015, 06:05:07 PM »
"Otherwise good dealership"  is like saying otherwise ordinary person just before they run over 10 people in a fit.

A dealer who can't or won't do the necessary things to get the bike on the road doesn't qualify as anything other than poor.

Make MG take it back,  for the price of a simple fix maybe someone will take  note.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2015, 06:08:44 PM »

The flip side of the frustration is the guy with the warranty who knows it's a simple o-ring but since he has the warranty he stands on his 'entitlement' to having it replaced by the shop.  The shop is slow getting to it, the guy loses a riding season for a job he could have done himself -- and blames it on the shop.

If that's all it is I would've fixed it myself rather than let it sit for months for no real good reason.   :boozing:    'Course if I had no real mechanical skills............. .

HardAspie

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2015, 06:14:27 PM »
And the New Bike Syndrome. Hard sometimes to do any work on one yourself before it has a scratch or two  and is out of any sort of warranty.

Offline Silver Goose

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2015, 07:00:07 PM »
Bobbyfromnc, Having a bike that can be ridden is bad enough, but if the problem is an "O" ring, then you might want to cal and independent  motorcycle service. I am sure MG does not make any "O" rings they are outsourced, so outsource the units yourself.
At the risk of not understand the full gravity of the problem, is oil pouring out of the cylinder, the air intake horn or the valve cover gasket?

It has been said that the full accounting of the problem will help guide some of the answers.

Good Luck
2007 Norge
2002 BMW K1200 LT
1959 Indian/enfield
1964 Norton
2008 Can Am Spyder

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2015, 07:06:09 PM »

That's what got to me on the V11 Sport. Late in the summer of my first season on it, at 6000 miles, the rivets fail on one of the clutch plates, 5 weeks in the shop. The next season, in the spring, at 7000 miles, 3rd gear fails, 6 weeks and a new trans. Season 3 at about 8000 miles, another clutch plate rivet failure. This time I fixed it myself even though it was still covered by warranty. It was only down for a few days.
Joe Walano

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2015, 07:10:32 PM »

But there are people with no mechanical skills, and that is OK. (they are often lawyers.  :evil: )
Plus you need to factor in that some feedback NORMALLY is a good thing, so the factory knows to make improvements on something that fails often. Sadly, the fuel line blowing off in the tank only took about 7 years for the factory to find out it needed fixed.  :embarassed:

And the photo is the entrance to the Vortex bar in Atlanta.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2015, 07:15:54 PM »
That's what got to me on the V11 Sport. Late in the summer of my first season on it, at 6000 miles, the rivets fail on one of the clutch plates, 5 weeks in the shop. The next season, in the spring, at 7000 miles, 3rd gear fails, 6 weeks and a new trans. Season 3 at about 8000 miles, another clutch plate rivet failure. This time I fixed it myself even though it was still covered by warranty. It was only down for a few days.

You're hard on those clutches.  :boozing:

Actually, if it were a Honda, they would call that a 'wear' item, like brakes, and make you pay for everything. Yes, I have been there, and done that. I also had to pay to have a one month old Suzuki repaired because I had used it on a dirt road, and 'off road' use was not covered.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2015, 07:44:35 PM »
I do understand that some folks are completely useless with tools.  I don't understand how it happens, but acknowledge that these people exist.  That's why we have shops.  But replacing an o-ring on a vent has to equal the complexity of fueling up -- an observation that has major implications for the "otherwise good dealership".  Maybe the 'good' is the coffee . . .?

[edit]

I don't mean these comments to be directed at our OP.  He's not a guzzi mechanic and can't know what the problem is until the diagnosis is made, which from what I've read here just happened.  He's done nothing wrong and should be frustrated.  The part about the shop though.  If a simple description of the problem on the internet gave a really reasonable solution almost immediately, why the drama down at the shop? 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 08:24:34 PM by rodekyll »

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2015, 08:27:03 PM »
I would be looking for another place to take my bike problems, where they have mechanics instead of technicians. When my son decided to resurrect my old V65C our Guzzi guy had every little thing we needed on the shelf. I'm pretty sure he could have built us a bike from parts. But the troubles you are having are industry wide and not limited to Guzzi. I had a Yamaha sit once for 6 weeks waiting for a 6 dollar bearing on back order, and finally got pissed and just had a bearing shop cross reference it. In my hand the next day. My BIL bought a Ford diesel truck and it spent more time in the shop than his driveway for the 1st year he owned it.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
  • Almost ready for suspenders
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2015, 08:55:42 PM »
My V7 is leaking tranny lube through the case. Head wrench has contacted MG and is awaiting an answer as to what they are going to do. Meanwhile, I am riding it, and wiping off the small amount of lube off the back of the tranny when I finish a longer ride. I am also keeping an eye on the fluid level, and the leakage in case it becomes a major leak.
the issue is documented, and it won't hurt to ride it until they decide what they are going to do. I plan on calling the shop and seeing if they just want to coat the area with JB weld or something else on the inside to stop the leak instead of waiting all summer for a decision or a part to arrive. I am reasonable, and would rather ride than whine.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here