Author Topic: Who says you can't tour on a 'small' bike?  (Read 16680 times)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Who says you can't tour on a 'small' bike?
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2015, 11:16:15 AM »

I have no problem with women in the military at any level.  What I do have a problem with is applying different standards for them. 

As long as we don't do that, I'm fine with any of it.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2015, 11:27:39 AM »
And here I thought this thread was about touring on a small motorcycle.  Boy, was I wrong!  Kinda makes me wonder where we would be if the OP's article had been about some guy doing the same thing.  I, for one, think it would be neat to do a 30 day motorcycle trip on my V7.  The challenge would be to carry less stuff, what I tell myself I need to do at the end of every trip.  I'm planning a 3 week trip across the US in 2016 and the Stelvio is my steed of choice to haul my butt and stuff since I know we will have to deal with really hot (100F), really cold (25F), and really wet conditions.  I'm in awe of anyone who can travel by motorcycle for an entire year on a lesser pack mule bike.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2015, 11:44:41 AM »
So, the 'average' woman is not up to combat just as the 'average' male is at a minimum level.

If you applied some of the standards being discussed half the men would need to be taken out of combat duties.  The common soldier/marine/sailor/airman is not some superhuman who can heft his 250lb team mate and run to safety.  He is a normal guy who has had some good physical training.

Yes, an 'average' female would need a bit more training to get up to speed.  Compare a 5'4", 110lb woman to a 5'4", 110lb man.

Absolutely, and my example (my SIL) is 6' and was probably 160-170# of muscle in those days. Except after boot where they frickin' near starved her because moron put her height down as 5'8" or something like that. And still she was guide every week but one.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline O

• Gosling
  • Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2015, 12:23:02 PM »
And here I thought this thread was about touring on a small motorcycle.  Boy, was I wrong!  Kinda makes me wonder where we would be if the OP's article had been about some guy doing the same thing.  I, for one, think it would be neat to do a 30 day motorcycle trip on my V7.  The challenge would be to carry less stuff, what I tell myself I need to do at the end of every trip.  I'm planning a 3 week trip across the US in 2016 and the Stelvio is my steed of choice to haul my butt and stuff since I know we will have to deal with really hot (100F), really cold (25F), and really wet conditions.  I'm in awe of anyone who can travel by motorcycle for an entire year on a lesser pack mule bike.

Peter Y.

Indeed, what a turn this thread has taken.  Gotta love WG!  :rolleyes:

Peter, do you have bags on your V7?  Is the carrying capacity of the Stelvio really that much greater, or is it also that it provides a little more protection from the elements?
Owen

2014 V7 Special

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2015, 12:23:02 PM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2015, 12:44:59 PM »
Can't be done..

Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline pikipiki

• Gosling
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2015, 01:01:28 PM »
Indeed, what a turn this thread has taken.  Gotta love WG!  :rolleyes:

Peter, do you have bags on your V7?  Is the carrying capacity of the Stelvio really that much greater, or is it also that it provides a little more protection from the elements?

Let's get back to basics,
Bivi bag
Dry sack 30 litre
Roll mat
Small rucksack
A pack of bungle cords
A couple of home made Guzzi fit Hot doggers for cooking on the go.

Any one touring for months without roughing it just a bit is not taking a road trip they are just leading a privileged life style.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 01:03:05 PM by pikipiki »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2015, 01:15:43 PM »
Any one touring for months without roughing it just a bit is not taking a road trip they are just leading a privileged life style.

Check out this gal here -

http://bsa.org.nz/index.php/stories/peggy-and-the-bantam

This is the hardest-core motorcycle touring you can do ... !!    AND the most on-topic post of this thread, too ....

I've got her book, it is WELL worth buying!   It'll make you feel like a wimp, too.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2015, 02:25:05 PM »

Owen, I have HB bags on the V7 and they are significantly smaller than what is on the Stelvio NTX.  In addition, the Stelvio bags are rectangular and thus I can stuff more in than the plastic bags on the little bike.  Add in a much larger rear rack on the Big Girl so I can load up a "U" shaped bag with all my camping gear, cooking stuff, Kermit chair, and some freeze dried food...now, that's a load.  Were I to go strictly minimalist (bivy sack, etc) I could certainly travel on a Vespa 50.

Let's face it, I got my minimalist camping fix a few years ago so now (age 69) I'm beyond that.  There is enough adventure built into a long motorcycle trip that I don't need to add much.  Something usually happens to add excitement to any of my trips and I always meet interesting people along the way.

Here's me on a camping trip a few years ago.....a live fire exercise.  I'm on the right and my friend 1LT Bill Thompson on the left.  Bill is buried in Belleville IL.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline RayB

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2015, 05:30:18 PM »
I don't think anyone would say you CAN'T. I think the real question is "Is it practical?". Even that is subjective. I guess my answer is "If you think it would be fun then do it"

Check this one out:

http://www.whizzermotorbike.com/glenallen.htm
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 05:31:36 PM by RayB »
01 EV
82 BMW R100

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2015, 09:08:31 PM »
Pete,

It IS neat to do the long trips on a V7. I've now got the load down to about 30kg, including the wok & a couple of stoves, the hammock (not a bivvy bag), tools & spare parts (that's the heavy bit), stool & some food. With either the saddle bags on the V7C or the banana bag on the V7 Special (only 3/4 full), there's room to spare, and the bikes are not overloaded. I seem to have everything I need, and more. The more is mostly in the spares and a lot of the tools that don't usually get used, but may well be needed sometime.

The V7 will take you comfortably wherever you want to go, is decent on gravel, light enough for us old farts who don't get around to keeping up our exercises to pick up if it does happen to fall over, and lots of fun.  And again, lots of fun - that's the best bit.

Mal

2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2015, 05:31:07 AM »
Tent, sleeping bag, thermarest, pillow, chair, stove, coffee press, tire patch kit, tools, and clothes. <shrug>

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2015, 06:21:35 AM »
60+ days on the road, camping, on a Morini 3 1/2 count? My wife did that.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2015, 07:17:57 AM »
60+ days on the road, camping, on a Morini 3 1/2 count? My wife did that.

Yeah, I'd say that counts.. :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here