Author Topic: A bit of Humour - Waving etiquette!  (Read 13294 times)

Offline swordds

• Hatchling
  • (504)234-9011
Re: A bit of Humour - Waving etiquette!
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2016, 06:03:55 AM »
I did not even know or realize that the correct wave was a peace sign underneath the handlebars. Like a covert peace sign?  I thought they were just pointing at the ground. I've read many books on how to ride and how to ride safely and motorcycle touring and why people ride and none explained the "proper wave technique".  How do you learn this stuff?  Are there secret "brand" waves?  Is the peace sign for all makes or just harleys?  Actually, (sorry), the only other bikes I ever see on the road around here are harleys. I went into a harley dealer on Monday (they were the only motorcycle shop in this area open on Monday) and they probably had well over a two hundred bikes in stock. It was amazing!  Between inside the shop and in the parking lot I thought there must be a rally of some sort going on.
2016 V7II Stone
2016 Suzuki TU250X (lost in the great flood of ought 16)

In the future I will strive to tolerate everything except intolerance and to hate nothing except hatred.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2016, 11:10:21 AM »
Never seen the inverted peace sign out here.

Because I have short fingers I have my levers set at about horizontal just so I can reach them, and ride with my fingers lying flat across the (clutch) lever. Easy to just lift the hand up and wave, no inverted peace signs here. Etiquette? I don't need no steenkin etiquette. :grin:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 11:10:57 AM by Muzz »
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2016, 11:15:37 AM »
I did not even know or realize that the correct wave was a peace sign underneath the handlebars. Like a covert peace sign?  I thought they were just pointing at the ground. I've read many books on how to ride and how to ride safely and motorcycle touring and why people ride and none explained the "proper wave technique".  How do you learn this stuff? 

Here's a little tutorial:  2 or 3 fingers pointed down at an angle, could be construed as a reverse peace sign...probably not so popular in England where 2 fingers pointing is equivalent to our middle finger (famous case of John McEnroe insulting the umpire at Wimbledon...that's 2 mistakes you've made so far with 2 fingers in the air...earned him a spot in the penalty box), and the fact they drive on the other side of the road (:) )...but you get the idea.

http://motorbikewriter.com/tips-motorcycle-wavewhen-wave-wave-riders/

https://www.google.com/search?q=motorcycle+wave+etiquette&biw=1455&bih=685&tbm=isch&imgil=uS7fHGMHq1ivbM%253A%253BF8A8MRVRfkFB4M%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.hayabusa.org%25252Fforum%25252Fnew-owners-forum%25252F145688-motorcycle-etiquette-2.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=uS7fHGMHq1ivbM%253A%252CF8A8MRVRfkFB4M%252C_&dpr=1.1&usg=__rD67ydxHMH1ITdMmRFYdDI_4Pww%3D&ved=0ahUKEwjoypvAr7bKAhUCLyYKHY_fBKAQyjcINA&ei=ZW6eVqiEKYLemAGPv5OACg#imgrc=uS7fHGMHq1ivbM%3A&usg=__rD67ydxHMH1ITdMmRFYdDI_4Pww%3D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 11:17:43 AM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2016, 11:22:57 AM »
I did not even know or realize that the correct wave was a peace sign underneath the handlebars. Like a covert peace sign?  I thought they were just pointing at the ground. I've read many books on how to ride and how to ride safely and motorcycle touring and why people ride and none explained the "proper wave technique".  How do you learn this stuff?  Are there secret "brand" waves?  Is the peace sign for all makes or just harleys?  Actually, (sorry), the only other bikes I ever see on the road around here are harleys. I went into a harley dealer on Monday (they were the only motorcycle shop in this area open on Monday) and they probably had well over a two hundred bikes in stock. It was amazing!  Between inside the shop and in the parking lot I thought there must be a rally of some sort going on.

This is tongue and cheek right?

Because how do you learn the social mores of any given group? And why would they not vary between sub-groups?

That said I've observed plenty of variants over the decades and probably heard as many explanations.

* The open palm on the extended hand (what I usually do) to represent "open/clear road ahead and wish them well").
* 1 or 2 fingers pointing toward the ground (keep the rubber side down)
* peace sign - duh
* The two hands off the bars, shrugging, confused/funny look - "look at me"
* The high hand wave (especially when over distance like a highway).
* The low hand wave (I'm cool)
* The head now (my hands are busy, or I'm cool)
* The snub (head up, icy stare, won't acknowledge your presence - either I'm cool or I'm stupid whichever fits)
* The helmet tap (I almost never actually see this, but it's been discussed enough - cops ahead)
* The straight arm palm down, slowly waving up and down (slow down, hazard/cop ahead)
* The Queen's wave - sometimes, JUST BECAUSE...

:boozing:

Or maybe this:

« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 11:32:13 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2016, 11:22:57 AM »

canuguzzi

« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2016, 11:25:19 AM »

There is no such thing as the correct way to wave or a requirement to do it. Wave as you like, or not, there is nothing to learn except making sure that if you wave you're still in control of the bike. You can just nod if you like, front to back, up or down, side to side or anything else in between.

Bottom line, just do what you feel comfortable doing.

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2016, 11:42:54 AM »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline cuzen jeff

• Who's Fred Bear?
  • New Egg

Offline cuzen jeff

• Who's Fred Bear?
  • New Egg
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2016, 05:55:42 PM »
That should be...The Motorcycle Wave, The solution

Offline Dimples

• Gosling
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2016, 07:13:47 PM »

Why wave unless you know the person?

It's silly to ride a motorcycle waving at strangers.

It's distracting!
'96 Sport 1100 - carb
'71 Ambassador - Venolia

oldbike54

« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2016, 07:24:58 PM »
Why wave unless you know the person?

It's silly to ride a motorcycle waving at strangers.

It's distracting!

Are you only polite to people you already know ?

Dusty

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2016, 12:20:41 PM »
This whole waving thing...

I don't mind it, but with the commute on the 405 in LA, OC I'm watching more for bad drivers than a wave from a bike on the other side. I'm also not going to wave first as most of the bikes going the opposite direction are working their way through traffic. Would hate for one to try to wave back and get crunched. If I see one and I feel safe to wave back, I do. I do try to at least look over and not nod, but lift my head up in a "hey how ya doin'" style.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2016, 04:47:36 PM »
This whole waving thing...

I don't mind it, but with the commute on the 405 in LA, OC I'm watching more for bad drivers than a wave from a bike on the other side. I'm also not going to wave first as most of the bikes going the opposite direction are working their way through traffic. Would hate for one to try to wave back and get crunched. If I see one and I feel safe to wave back, I do. I do try to at least look over and not nod, but lift my head up in a "hey how ya doin'" style.

Tom

:1:  BTDT
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here