Author Topic: Your thoughts on a BMW F800GT?  (Read 19446 times)

Offline MGPilot

• Gosling
Your thoughts on a BMW F800GT?
« on: January 20, 2016, 11:03:54 PM »
Took a look at a 2015 Norge last week. Very nice, but it's heavy enough and the weight is high enough, I can see it getting away from me trying to push it around the garage.

So at the moment, a smaller, lighter sport tourer seems better for me.

Anyone have  experience with BMW'S F800GT? Thoughts?

Thanks.
2014 Morgan Three Wheeler

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Your thoughts on a BMW F800GT?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 01:06:02 AM »
I considered it when I decided to replace my Ducati ST2 with another sport tourer. It looks great, is light weight, gets great fuel economy--but I kept wanting the R1200RT more. And every time I thought about the RT, I thought about the Norge...

Yes, the Norge is heavy and a bit of a handful when trying to man handle it, but that weight lends great comfort and stability at speed.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 05:34:31 AM »
I rode the F800GS and was very impressed with the bike. Loads of useful power and it was returning 60mpg (imperial) at 90mph.
Not sure I would want to own a F800 model but for a lightweight tourer they ain't bad.
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 05:43:35 AM »
Saw a new one on sale at Touring Sport in Greenville SC  Beautiful.  Riding position seems pretty upright from sitting on it. 
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 05:43:35 AM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 06:17:09 AM »
ZZZZZZZZZ  :evil: :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 06:26:41 AM »
I have a Norge, an '09 with 50K miles, and a BMW F800GT, a '14 with 14K miles. Though both are ST bikes, I tend to use them for different purposes.

The F bike is much lighter; it handles better than any bike I have ever owned; has outstanding brakes too. I prefer it over the Norge for relatively short rides, especially on local twisty roads. However, I have modified the bike for touring: Givi trunk, BMW side cases, Givi touring screen with X-screen foil, throttlemeister. I have taken the bike on a few multi-day trips, including on a three-week ride in the Rockies. The bike is a fairly capable tourer, but it has one flaw that can be bothersome to me: the motor is plenty strong, but gets a bit buzzy at 75 mph in top gear. Many owners of this model say they don't notice this issue, but just as many do.

For long rides that include significant freeway droning, I prefer the Norge. It is slightly more comfortable for me, and, though there are some vibes at interstate speed, they are more soothing than annoying. The Norge is also no slouch on the twisties, just not quite as flickable as the F bike. Though the F bike is OK for 2-up duty, the more spacious Norge works better for this.

Reliability: I have had zero issues so far with the BMW, and though the Norge has never stranded me, I have had many problems with it, including some that were quite costly to fix.

Though the Norge has had its issues, it has become my favorite bike of all time; you know, that "character" thing. I feel no attachment to the BMW, yet, anyway. If there was a more extensive dealership network, and if the bikes were put together with a bit more care, and if Piaggio was as willing as BMW to honor their warranties, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another new Norge. On the other hand, I would not likely consider buying another F bike; but who knows, maybe in time I will appreciate it more.

Jon
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 06:40:58 AM »
I feel no attachment to the BMW,

<shrug>

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 08:04:27 AM »
The 800GT may be worth you giving it a test ride. A good friend, and Guzzi enthusiast, rode a GT with me last year in the Alps. 

The riding position and the lack of wind protection seemed to be an issue with him.  The engine is also going to be a bit more revvy and buzzy than a larger twin.   

I had one of the first 800's BMW made, an F800S.  I loved the bike, the way it ran and the way it looked.  It would flat-out haul butt. The big problem was the terrible reliability of the early models.  They were beset with many problems, engine issues and rear belt drive issues.

Now, a decade later, BMW seems to have finally solved these issues. I hear no major complaints about the more recent BMW F800GT models but I am somewhat out of that loop now.

I highly suggest that you go putter around the main website for these bikes and see what other owners say.

http://f800riders.org/

« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 08:07:27 AM by leafman60 »

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 08:27:51 AM »
about 10 years ago I looked at the 'new then' 800 BMW.  I wanted a mid sized bike that could do two up, was fun to ride, and inspired me.  It just didn't inspire me.  Instead, I bought another rather uninspiring bike that was a great handling, reliable, relatively comfortable bike... a suzuki vstrom 650.  It wasn't long before I sold it and bought a used Vespa - which was certainly limited but DID inspire me... maybe its the limitations that add character?  Anyway, if I had the choice of a Norge and the BMW it would be Norge all the way.  I currently ride a V7... which has its limitations... but a second bike would definitely be a Norge.
Norge  :1:

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 08:41:41 AM »
Try the new Tiger 800 XRx.  Wow
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 08:46:34 AM »
I have no experience with the BMW but my triumph tiger 800R is similar in size and performance and I like it
I rented one in Vegas and rode it to the grand canyon and across death valley a couple of times

Offline sturgeon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 08:47:46 AM »
Somewhat related - I've put almost 100,000 km on an F800GS, which has essentially the same engine. It's still my go-to bike for long-distance rides, despite also having an R1150RT beside it in the garage. I've ridden the GT on various occasions, almost bought one. But I decided that the engine characteristics were too similar to the GS to be worth it to me at the time (I was looking for a replacement for the RT). In the absence of the GS, I would likely have traded the RT for one. The GS has a more upright riding position and is more capable on less than ideal surfaces, but the GT is very nice. Lots of nice little touches like angled valve stems, virtually invisible luggage mounts, etc, etc. Bullet-proof engine that has more than enough grunt for me, capable of 200 km/h. Not that I would ever ride at such speeds  :evil:
Dyslexics Untie!

11 Yamaha WR250R
14 Moto Guzzi V7S
16 BMW R1200R

George_S

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 09:10:08 AM »
I have lots of BMW experience, but not with the 700/800 series personally. Like others have said, the later years are better since the bugs were worked out.

However, While overall weight is one concern and one part of a decision process, I would not base a motorcycle purchase or eliminate a model solely on the concern of being too heavy for my garage . Buy what's right for the road, and for what you want to do with it.

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 09:33:04 AM »

However, While overall weight is one concern and one part of a decision process, I would not base a motorcycle purchase or eliminate a model solely on the concern of being too heavy for my garage . Buy what's right for the road, and for what you want to do with it.

On the other hand, I totally get this.
Since I've lost a bit of weight I find my 1200 Sport to be difficult to move around, and out of, my garage space. I came close to selling it last year for just this reason.

My space is a bit strange and getting the bike out of it put me on the edge of control and I always felt like I was going to let it fall.

I have managed to mitigate my specific issues a bit with my space (motorcycle turntable was a godsend for me) and so the 1200 Sport is still with me.

But I've also bought a lighter bike which also solves all of the weight problems I had with my 1200 although it doesn't do as much for me emotionally. I'm glad I was able to work things out and keep my Guzzi.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 09:53:49 AM »
I rode the F800ST a few years ago.  Very sporty sitting position.  Great engine and slick tranny.  Suspension was nice too.  But, the engine buzz was horrible.  My entire forearm went to sleep in about 10min on the freeway.

I think I rode one that was not assembled correctly too.  When the fan kicked on (this was 90deg day in June) the hot air was blowing right up between my legs.  I was glad to get off of it.

Some say the GT is better at both, but, I'd make sure to take one on a longish test ride before buying.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Irn

• Gosling
  • 2004 Breva750 2007 BMW F800ST 2006 Vespa GTS2500
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2016, 09:58:35 AM »
I own a 2007 BMW F800ST, and have rented for a tour of the Alps the GT.  I could not tell much of a difference between them other then some electronic rear damping adjustments that I stopped playing with in the first 100 miles.  The ST is a vastly under rated machine.  Wide torque band, pulls nicely from 3k-8k, handles and brakes nimbly, sips gas, easily comfortable for 500 plus mile days, and one sweet bullet proof engine.  The boxer folks hated it, and non BMW folks never crossed shopped it or bought the GS models which sells well.  It is not uncommon to find a nicely cared for low mile used example well under 4k! Some folks complain it is boring, code word for exhaust and engine that sound like a sewing machine, bug plagued there are well known issues that have been sorted, or not really a BMW.  I keep my eyes open and scanning for an alternative but you will not find a better light long distance sports touring machine, that is this much fun bags off or on.  The Triumph Tiger 800 might be in that league but it really competes with the GS, besides the belt drive just makes so much sense.  Rent one if you can, I think you will find it hard to return.

Lcarlson

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 10:00:49 AM »
I haven't riden the GT, but have had the F700/800 GS models as loaners on several occasions. Yes, they have adequate power for any real world riding, but while they are torquey for their size, they lack the low-end punch of the boxers or the MG 1200s. As a result, they have to be revved more, and when they are, they get buzzy. That's their chief drawback --

Offline Irn

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 10:07:45 AM »
Hi Charlie, I know you have posted about the buzz and vibration on other posts about the F800.  You are partially correct.  At 5k there is a vibration not numbing, but there is no reason to hold the bike at the rev.  It will do 90 mph in 6th at 4600 all day and very smooth.  I tend to ride closer to the speed limit in the 4200 area.  With regards to the heat on the left leg once the fan kicks in, a known issue you can feel in stop and go.  Not an issue for me do to where and how I ride, but some foam pipe insulation in the left vent cures that issue without causing any noticeable engine heating. I have never felt the heat was uncomfortable in riding gear so I never did the modification, however in jeans no gear it would be annoying.

Offline MGPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2016, 10:30:17 AM »
A few more details.

I'm in my 60's. My 2-car garage includes some woodworking equipment, my 2016 Stone and my supercharged Audi. The only time my previous 2005 R1200RT went down, was in the garage (and the BMW forums show that I'm not alone in this). The Norge felt like it had more weight, higher than the RT. Given the other inhabitants of my garage, and me....I will not make apologies for making sure that whatever I get is reasonable  (for me) to manage.

Over time my orientation has changed from get the biggest - fastest to get the most engaging and what will fit the typical mission and just adequately handle the extremes. It is unlikely that I will be doing multi-day rides. If it turns out that a Norge/RT is what it takes to have a more stable bike on the freeway, then that's ok.

I'm telling myself that I'd like something that is a bit more suited for the highway as a contrast to the Stone. Started with the Norge as my Stone has been much more engaging than either of my previous BMW's. Will head over to take a look at the F800GT. Seems like many riders have lowered the pegs and replaced the windscreen with larger ones. But not sure I want to spend money on something that has no more engagement that a kitchen mixer. Will see.

Offline Irn

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 10:35:19 AM »
If you want light, engaging, and not an appliance, go find an Aprilia Futura.  Wow that will set your soul on fire.  Bike was way ahead of its time.  You can ride it like a man in search of the fountain of youth, let me know when you get there or settle in and let it cruise all day. What a machine.  Others suggested Ducatti ST series, another beast but a bit more wrenching then my skill level. 

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2016, 10:43:31 AM »
I borrowed a GS from the local dealer at a Dual Sport event, I was blown away by its handling the rough stuff something I had never really done before.
The GT has a horrible looking belt drive IMHO.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2016, 10:52:21 AM »
But not sure I want to spend money on something that has no more engagement that a kitchen mixer.

<shrug>
 :popcorn:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

canuguzzi

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2016, 10:59:43 AM »
If the $$ can be arranged, look at the MV Augusta Lusso or one step down. Light, powerful and bet its engaging.

Dealers are sparse but then once you start talking about MG, Aprilia or the other low market share brands, what difference does it make? Something happens on the road its forum help or a trailer.

Offline MGPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2016, 11:51:22 AM »
Will also take a look at the Aprilia Camponord. 

Offline Adan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2016, 12:47:35 PM »
I had 3 problems with my 800ST:

1) buzziness caused nerve issues in my right hand, mainly on multi-hour rides.  Sufficiently solved by use of a throttle assist, but still an annoyance.

2) lightweight and fully-faired, it gets blown around by the wind.  Some people would find this a significant negative on a tourer.

3) No character.  Didn't bother me while touring on it, since I was sufficiently absorbed by my adventures not to focus on the bike.  But I found the ST unfullfiling for short pleasure rides.  I'd come home thinking "why bother . . .."  By contrast, my V7 was a hoot to take around the block.

Aside from those issues, I'd highly recommend it.  Arguably it has no equal as a modern, efficient lightweight tourer.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 12:49:04 PM by Adan »
V9 Bobber
Zero S

George_S

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2016, 12:54:10 PM »
I didn't mention the buzziness riders have told me about because I thought that issue had been mostly resolved but reading these accounts, maybe it hasn't been?

And I agree that these 700/800 models lack the soul of the BMW boxers and even the K series.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2016, 12:55:49 PM »
Try the new Tiger 800 XRx.  Wow

YES!! :thumb: :thumb:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2016, 04:36:18 PM »
3) No character.  Didn't bother me while touring on it, since I was sufficiently absorbed by my adventures not to focus on the bike.  But I found the ST unfullfiling for short pleasure rides. I'd come home thinking "why bother . . .." By contrast, my V7 was a hoot to take around the block.

I rest my case.  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2016, 06:25:30 PM »
The F800GT is a very nice bike, a little boring. I looked closely at one last July.
But for the same/less money you can get a gently used K1300GT with skull-melting acceleration, capacity for a weekend trip, all the various high-tech safety and comfort gizmos, and a pretty good aftermarket. At least, that's what I did. Too bad BMW decided to turn its K touring bikes into mammoth Goldwings, and leave a vacuum in the big-sport-tourer line.
I find that K13GT owners are like Colt Python owners: they take care of their babies because there will never be another like it.
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2016, 07:21:40 PM »
no experience of my own because I did 2 Edelweiss extreme tours and there were lots of them on each tour. 100% were questioned by me after seeing ALL OF THEM shaking their hands. too much vibration was always the answer.
in addition to that you get to pay BMW pricing and get a non German mfg. bike.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here