Author Topic: Fat tyres - what are the benefits and short commings.  (Read 11842 times)

oldbike54

Re: Fat tyres - what are the benefits and short commings.
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2016, 02:32:48 PM »
   Big heavy street bikes will not lean far enough to use a wider racing profile , which is different than street tire profiles . The only practical reason for a wide street bike tire with a slightly increased contact patch is to reduce wear .

Dusty

oldbike54

« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2016, 02:43:24 PM »
 Something that has not been mentioned is that a softer tire will conform to the road surface better than a hard tire . This allows the tire to dig in ever so slightly to road irregularities . Now , before we confuse that with increased contact patch , no that ain't what is happening . This involves vertical forces , which is a completely different animal .

Dusty

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2016, 02:51:22 PM »
And softer tires shear easier and leave darker burnout patches..  lol
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2016, 06:21:57 PM »
No need for that...just assume for all intents and purposes that all other factors are the same...a controlled experiment.

One bike with fat tires, another bike with skinny tires, both bikes exactly the same weight and component wise, you don't need to be a physicist to know after riding bikes for 40 years which one has more rolling resistance...

Are your mountain bike tires mountain bike, or road? Also need to use comparable diameters, really. but te tread is what I'm thinking.

This isn't some theory I made up. You can find dynamic testing on line, or try different sizes on your own wheels (which is what I did). Same tire pressure, same wheel size, different width-absolutely no doubt about it.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2016, 06:21:57 PM »

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2016, 06:47:21 PM »
To continue this thread with a little different direction and some more fat tire questions...

I just picked up a 74 Eldorado that has 16 " rims and wide / fat tires.  I just picked the bike up today and left it at a shop and have not deep dived what I have yet - that comes later this week.

But...

In my other post or somewhere ...  some one indicated that the CHP Eldos used 16" rear tires - and I think somebody said they were 5.10s - which would equate to something like a 130.  Mu guess is that the police bikes got these rear tires because they were carrying more weight (radio, siren, guns & ammo, donuts etc.).

For the time being...  I am going to keep these rims but the tires are probably 30 years old.  Does anybody have any experience with 16" fat tires on an Eldo?  What current tire would work on this bike?

Not on an Eldo.  The T5 has 16" wheels front and back.  The rear tire is a 130/90-16.  Best traction tire I've used is the Pirelli Sport Demon.  But, it only lasted me 6k miles.  So, I run Shinko 712's which get 8k miles and are a lot cheaper.  The are not as sticky but are good enough for my riding.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2016, 06:51:14 PM »
You should be able to find decent 16" tires, they are common on American bikes. Kenda makes some that seem to last forever.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2016, 08:46:52 PM »
Depends on the size you need and what brands you'd like.  I'd love to find PR3's or PR4's but they aren't made in the sizes I need.  ANd I don't want to go skinnier since the T5 turns in quick as is.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2016, 09:39:50 PM »
You should be able to find decent 16" tires, they are common on American bikes. Kenda makes some that seem to last forever.

Ther eis the added complication of bias versus radial designs...

And While the Kendas last forever, a friend of mine who had some was not impressed with their grip. Durability comes at a cost.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2016, 06:06:08 AM »
Oh, they are not sport bike tires, but the Eldo is not a sport bike. Nor the Scout.  It supplies more grip than either chassis can use, and thoguh I can lock either wheel on the Scout, the Eldo will not be so easy.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2016, 06:19:14 AM »
To continue this thread with a little different direction and some more fat tire questions...

I just picked up a 74 Eldorado that has 16 " rims and wide / fat tires.  I just picked the bike up today and left it at a shop and have not deep dived what I have yet - that comes later this week.

But...

In my other post or somewhere ...  some one indicated that the CHP Eldos used 16" rear tires - and I think somebody said they were 5.10s - which would equate to something like a 130.  Mu guess is that the police bikes got these rear tires because they were carrying more weight (radio, siren, guns & ammo, donuts etc.).

For the time being...  I am going to keep these rims but the tires are probably 30 years old.  Does anybody have any experience with 16" fat tires on an Eldo?  What current tire would work on this bike?

Not sure what you're looking for and I've got no direct experience with an Eldo, but I had lots of experience with 130 series 16" wheels on a Road King and 130, 140, or 150/16" multiple Sportsters. My preference was always Metzelers, the ME88, 880, or now 888 series. As a matter of fact I have a 140/90-16 ME888 about to go on one today.

I always found the bias-ply Marathons from Metzeler to be a nice combination of wear and grip.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2016, 06:27:29 AM »
 My only experience with wide tires is the radial 120/17 front and the 170/17 rear on my 97 tube frame Buell. These are the stock sizes and the Beull has a steep fork rake like most all new sport bikes..I notice at very low speeds the bike is more clumsy in turns... But at normal and high road speeds , the handling limits are beyond my skill level..

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2016, 02:08:11 PM »
What model Buell?
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2016, 08:27:49 PM »
Just read an article in my current Cycle World (9/16) written by Kevin Cameron titled "What's heavy",  where he talks about Moto Guzzi road racers in the 50's and later racing front tire weights/handling effects. Article fits right into this discussion under the guize of "addressing the steering-stiffening effect of key components on a MC.".   :popcorn:

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here