Author Topic: Replacing Red-Neck GPS  (Read 10089 times)

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
Re: Replacing Red-Neck GPS
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2017, 01:15:10 AM »
Garmin Etrex Legend. Locally there aren't enough main or secondary roads to warrant detailed map capacity. All I'm really interested in knowing is speed, compass direction, time of day and other simple 'where am I' tools.
What I like about the Legend is it has one window offering four rows of selectable data in large font. Easy to read on the fly.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2017, 01:33:54 AM »
Every year I ponder moving into the 21st Century by getting a GPS navigation unit. 

My red-neck GPS of pencil marks on a yellow sticky pad only works until I botch a turn, and then I just wander in the general direction of my destination. 

All I want is a basic, reliable navigator.  I don't need it to support Bluetooth conference calls or compute my carbon footprint.  And I like frugal and cheap.   Rugged, simple, and useful. 

Any recommendations?
Yep 3 choices. Tom Tom, Tom Tom or Tom Tom. Had my latest one 5 years,used it in Australia in the interstate transport for navigation in Melbourne, Sydney etc... and overseas on the Norge in Europe without ANY problems AT ALL...Mine's got every map in Europe which cost a few $ but no need to go berserk on that score. The only time it gave a false reading was in the tunnel between Como and Mandello where it showed 2 roads  at once. Turns out that's 'cos at that point there were roads above me as well, on the surface !!! Not bad I reckon. The greatest feature as well as navigation is when it's late afternoon you can just ask it where accomodation is en route and select the one at the distance that you want, and if you choose to (I don't), you can hit the phone function and book your room/site, but that's a bit new age for me.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 01:45:25 AM by Huzo »

Offline antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2017, 06:37:26 AM »
Many times there are new available smart phones sold by prepaid carriers for $20-30 that can be used as GPS. I bought several  Motorola MOTO G's (kinda like the name) for this purpose. Just add a uSD card for additional storage, download from a selection of several different softwares and maps and you are good to go. You will also have a GPS speedo.

On a Jackal I am working on now I am going to remove the stock speedo and just use the MOTO G with a bracket for my gauges. If parked outside I can remove the unit with one plug and remove from the bracket.   

For the Guzzi I am trying to find apps like 'Torque' that work great for most cars that will communicate with the computer and read many of the parameters that are being monitored by the ECU like engine temp, RPMs, etc. and the app either puts it in a digital or analog gauge readout on the phone. So far have not been able to find one that works with the 15RC or 15M.

Offline antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2017, 07:09:25 AM »
Something like this might work nicely for $30 and it is waterproof too with 5" screen.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cricket-wireless-kyocera-hydro-view-4g-lte-with-8gb-memory-cell-phone-black/5628600.p?skuId=5628600

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2017, 07:09:25 AM »

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2017, 08:26:24 AM »
I have used the 🐑 mount with a garmin quite a bit. The ram 🐑 makes you unplug the power cable every time you remove the gps from the mount. The socket on the back of the garmin seems to be somewhat delicate. I've had two garmin's 💩 out because of the plug. I'm sure vibration hasn't helped either. The ziplock baggy anti moisture device works fine.

I was irritated by that aspect of the RAM mount.  So, I took my dremel tool and cut a slot in the plastic so I could remove the GPS without unplugging it.  (you could also just use a small file/rasp if you have an aversion to power tools :)  ).

I am another Gamin fan.  I hated the Magellan.  Tom Tom is good too.  I just use my phone a lot since I always have it with me.  The Copilot app works as well as the Garmin I have in the truck.

Like someone said, you can get older phones for next to nothing.  But, you can also get older GPS units for next to nothing.  The problem with that is you have to pay for a map update on some of them.  Not cheap.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline JACoH

• Gosling
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2017, 05:12:59 PM »
 I now use the Tom Tom 5" automotive unit from my old car, because my new car has a GPS installed.  I bought a case on ebay that the Tom Tom fits in, and it attaches to a clamp that fits on your handlebar. It has a clear cover and zips closed. It was less than $20.00. You can also buy used GPS units on ebay cheaply to test to see if you like them better than the post-it notes. The 5" model is even a tad big for my aesthetic tastes, probably a 3.5" would be better. I won't pay a lot of money for the motorcycle specific models, and smart phones are too small to see, just as dangerous focusing on one than texting while in a car.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2017, 05:58:59 PM »
...and smart phones are too small to see, just as dangerous focusing on one than texting while in a car.

That's the way I feel about looking at any display while moving.  It really doesn't matter how big or small it is, when you're paying attention to anything other than your riding, you're distracted.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2017, 10:57:46 PM »
That's the way I feel about looking at any display while moving.  It really doesn't matter how big or small it is, when you're paying attention to anything other than your riding, you're distracted.
Do you reckon it's much different than glancing down at the speedo though Jim ?

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2017, 11:07:39 PM »
I sure do think so!  I glance very briefly, and very rarely at my speedo.  I'm positive I'd have to dwell a lot longer to get meaning from a GPS map.  I'm sure you've noticed that once you're up to speed, you can judge changes in your speed quite accurately by engine sound.

I may be more aware of the danger of taking my eyes off the road, even briefly, than some.  I was in a fairly bad crash when I was in my early 20s, caused by looking in my mirror long enough to not notice a car in front of me that had stopped at a green light, waiting for an ambulance to cross.  Now if I take my eyes off the road in front of me, something in my head screams at me to stop doing it.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2017, 07:36:05 AM »
I can agree with Jim on that.  The time I almost ran into someone on the bike was cause I looked at the side mirror too long.  I have found myself looking at the speedo or tach too long as well.  And the map on the tank bag is worse than a GPS.

One place I liked the larger screen on the GPS was in unfamiliar twisties, especially at night.  Zoom it in so you can see the curves in front of you.  Good for those decreasing radius turns.  Still have to be careful to just glance at it.

1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

kirby1923

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2017, 09:39:37 AM »
I may be more aware of the danger of taking my eyes off the road, even briefly, than some.  I was in a fairly bad crash when I was in my early 20s, caused by looking in my mirror long enough to not notice a car in front of me that had stopped at a green light, waiting for an ambulance to cross.  Now if I take my eyes off the road in front of me, something in my head screams at me to stop doing it.
[/quote]

THIS without doubt, those that have and those that will!

IMHO ANYTHING that takes tour eyes off the road in front of you on a single track vehicle is VERY risky and risk management is the name of the game on a moto.
 45 mph = 65+  fps.
Learned the hard way after 50+ years of traveling on two wheels.

My .02c

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2017, 12:38:33 PM »
Yeah that can't be argued because it's true, however you do tend to only look at it when you're in a position where there's an opportunity to so, generally only to see how far the next decision point is. But anyway, it's not something to be argued 'cos we've all been around long enough to know what's best for ourselves I guess.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2017, 12:40:48 PM »
I can agree with Jim on that.  The time I almost ran into someone on the bike was cause I looked at the side mirror too long.  I have found myself looking at the speedo or tach too long as well.  And the map on the tank bag is worse than a GPS.

One place I liked the larger screen on the GPS was in unfamiliar twisties, especially at night.  Zoom it in so you can see the curves in front of you.  Good for those decreasing radius turns.  Still have to be careful to just glance at it.
But Charlie, that's 'cos you looked away for TOO LONG as you rightly say. Did you just say that you zoom it in so you know what the road in front of you is doing ? Let me off the hook now and tell me you're joking !
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 12:46:18 PM by Huzo »

oldbike54

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2017, 12:44:35 PM »
 I get the pleasure of riding with Kirby once a year anyway . We are usually looking for curvy stuff , and going too fast for any diversions .

Dusty

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2017, 12:49:47 PM »
I get the pleasure of riding with Kirby once a year anyway . We are usually looking for curvy stuff , and going too fast for any diversions .

Dusty
Would it prickle you if I ask what you mean by "diversions" Dusty ?

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2017, 01:18:29 PM »
I sure do think so!  I glance very briefly, and very rarely at my speedo.  I'm positive I'd have to dwell a lot longer to get meaning from a GPS map.  I'm sure you've noticed that once you're up to speed, you can judge changes in your speed quite accurately by engine sound.

I'm with Triple Jim.  I already think my eyes are off the road ahead too much when I'm looking at the road behind and down at my dashboard.  So with that, I just use my phone and pull over to see it. I use an android app called 'Navigation.'
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

oldbike54

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2017, 01:23:08 PM »
Would it prickle you if I ask what you mean by "diversions" Dusty ?

Anything that moves my eyes from where I want the bike to go at 70 MPH while leaned over and rolling the throttle on looking for 90 MPH at corner exit .

Dusty

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2017, 06:25:01 PM »
Anything that moves my eyes from where I want the bike to go at 70 MPH while leaned over and rolling the throttle on looking for 90 MPH at corner exit .

Dusty
Ok Dusty, I must be losing the ability to know when I'm being teased out, for a moment I thought you were serious too ! Well done, now I get it...

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2017, 06:29:57 PM »
I'm with Triple Jim.  I already think my eyes are off the road ahead too much when I'm looking at the road behind and down at my dashboard. 
What was it about the road behind that held more interest to you than what's waiting for you on the road ahead Triple Jim ?

Offline keener

• Gosling
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2017, 07:05:03 PM »
dont use a GPS with the bike, i prefer to occasionally get lost   :azn: 
smile and tremble
1974 Z1 Kawasaki since new
1998 Suzuki 1200 Bandit
2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000s
2007 Guzzi 1100 Griso
2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2017, 07:23:39 PM »
What was it about the road behind that held more interest to you than what's waiting for you on the road ahead Triple Jim ?

I had just passed a cop who was hiding at the side of the road, and appeared to be operating a radar based speed trap.  In a hurry to get to school as usual, I was going 10 or 15 mph over the limit, and was looking to see if he was coming after me.  Interestingly, the driver of the ambulance that had caused the car in front of me to stop at the green light saw me hit the car, and called another ambulance, so it didn't take long for help to arrive.  They also landed a helicopter on the U of MD golf course, ready to take me to the Baltimore trauma center, but when I was responsive and somewhat intact, they put me in the ambulance and let the copter leave.

canuck750

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2017, 07:27:25 PM »
tankbag map, yellow stickies and smartphone.

:1:

What he said, doesn't need batteries, charging, downloads and no annoying voice telling me to make the next possible U turn!

twowings

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2017, 08:20:42 PM »
Butler and Rand-McNally...no batteries, cords, or internet access required... :thumb:

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2017, 11:51:16 PM »
I had just passed a cop who was hiding at the side of the road, and appeared to be operating a radar based speed trap.  In a hurry to get to school as usual, I was going 10 or 15 mph over the limit, and was looking to see if he was coming after me.  Interestingly, the driver of the ambulance that had caused the car in front of me to stop at the green light saw me hit the car, and called another ambulance, so it didn't take long for help to arrive.  They also landed a helicopter on the U of MD golf course, ready to take me to the Baltimore trauma center, but when I was responsive and somewhat intact, they put me in the ambulance and let the copter leave.
Bugger, I'da faked some spine issue just for a ride in the chopper !

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2017, 11:55:34 PM »
:1:

What he said, doesn't need batteries, charging, downloads and no annoying voice telling me to make the next possible U turn!
Handy though when you've done 1000 k and it's nearly dark and you need a camping ground and you're in......Oslo for instance !

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2017, 01:00:27 AM »
I use my old IPhone 4 with lifeproof case and WS mount attached to a bolt the top of the triple tree on the Norge, and also with a clamp style handlebar mount on the Griso. Also wired in USB power outlets.  I run various apps from a digital speedo to a tactical compass/gps program as well as Google Maps.  I normally download 'offline' maps for the GPS and directions, but can also use the wifi settings to stream data from my smart phone, play music, etc.

I once used that Waze traffic app or whatever it is called on one 2 day trip, streamed data from my smart phone. It gives you all kinds of 'in your area' updates and info, was very distracting so I switched to the compass and speedo, left it running in the background and ate through 10Gig of data............. Didn't go over too well with SWMBO :thewife:

Google Maps served me well in my 1400+ mile adventure over Labor Day weekend, (even for turn for turn directions on gravel and dirt roads).  When just riding, I use a GPS/Speedo with elevation and other data program. This is nice particularly on the Norge which has old school dial speedo. I haven't gotten into the 'bluetooth' speaker thing yet, but may sometime.  I mostly don't listen to any music other than the motor, road and wind, but on occasion some music is nice, so I have about 5 gig of music in the phone and use low profile ear buds in place of ear plugs.

For years I did the printed map, or maps behind a clear window on a tank bag. Last few years I have lost an interest in having a bag 'in my face' or in front of me and went to a tail bag, or just using saddle bags. YMMV
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 01:07:18 AM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2017, 01:41:05 AM »
Bugger, I'da faked some spine issue just for a ride in the chopper !

I've always thought that should I ever require a chopper to extract me from somewhere I want a big ole Sea King flown by the RAF or RN to haul me out.

Sadly this has been outsourced to "save cost" so I'd get some sort of little girly chopper now  :sad:
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

oldbike54

« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2017, 01:53:37 AM »
 A "Ghirly Whirly" ?

Dusty

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2017, 03:13:51 AM »
Yeh - we're so cheap over here now I'd probably get a Robinson R22
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

oldbike54

« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2017, 03:36:09 AM »
Yeh - we're so cheap over here now I'd probably get a Robinson R22

Better than a Triumph powered Gyrocopter  :shocked:

Dusty

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here