Author Topic: New Triumph (Speedmaster 2018), Keeping the Guzzi  (Read 13888 times)

Offline Beerman

• Hatchling
New Triumph (Speedmaster 2018), Keeping the Guzzi
« on: December 27, 2017, 01:50:42 PM »
I had been looking at getting a tourer - the California 1400 has been on my mind, but it's just too heavy for me at present. I've ordered the Triumph Speedmaster 2018 for March delivery - wonderful looking bike (though no more so than the Cali), and lighter.

I couldn't bring myself to be Guzziless - so the V711 Special stays, and I'm delighted with that. And I get to retain my interest in this fantastic forum! I will report in due course.

Happy New Year,

Beerman
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 01:51:08 PM by Beerman »
2018 Triumph Speedmaster
2016 V711 Special
2014 Vespa Sprint

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
Re: New Triumph (Speedmaster 2018), Keeping the Guzzi
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 02:00:29 PM »
Keeping the Guzzi is a good thing.  However, you should have no regrets about buying a Triumph...that new Speedmaster is a nice looking motorcycle!! :thumb: :1: :cool:

« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 08:23:23 AM by JJ »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 02:02:28 PM »
I had been looking at getting a tourer - the California 1400 has been on my mind, but it's just too heavy for me at present. I've ordered the Triumph Speedmaster 2018 for March delivery - wonderful looking bike (though no more so than the Cali), and lighter.

I couldn't bring myself to be Guzziless - so the V711 Special stays, and I'm delighted with that. And I get to retain my interest in this fantastic forum! I will report in due course.

Happy New Year,

Beerman
Weren't keen on a Norge ?

Offline Beerman

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 02:36:15 PM »
I didn't look at it closely enough to have a view - perhaps I should have done. I was hugely impressed by the California in terms of sheer presence; the Triumph looks equally special. We'll see!

Beerman
2018 Triumph Speedmaster
2016 V711 Special
2014 Vespa Sprint

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 02:36:15 PM »

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 04:05:35 PM »
I didn't look at it closely enough to have a view - perhaps I should have done. I was hugely impressed by the California in terms of sheer presence; the Triumph looks equally special. We'll see!

Beerman

Here is my friend's slightly customized Triumph Bonneville America, (I believe the predecessor to the Speedmaster), which he really likes!   :cool:

Also, everyone I know that has purchased a Norge LOVES that bike.  The California, on the other hand, is a completely different Guzzi, (IMHO). :wink:

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Chesterfield

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 12:33:52 AM »
The new Cal 1400 is so much more bike, bummer the weight was the decider
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 01:01:32 AM by oldbike54 »

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 02:51:41 AM »
The new Bonnies are Triumph's best seller by far. The new Speedmaster will be a big improvement on the under powered previous model. Just watch out for the finish on the crankcases some bikes have suffered with flaking.
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

bpreynolds

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 06:00:12 AM »
The new Speeds are gorgeous motorcycles.  Congrats!

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 07:35:23 AM »

Sorry to (temporarily) hijack the subject, but do any Norge owners have a quick comment on passenger opinions?  Last October I test rode a 2013 Triumph Trophy (Norge's direct competition) &, altho I loved it, my wife complained that she had quite a bit of buffeting at 60+ mph.  I've had no opportunity to test ride a Norge so don't know if that's also the case with it.
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 08:36:03 AM »
Sorry to (temporarily) hijack the subject, but do any Norge owners have a quick comment on passenger opinions?  Last October I test rode a 2013 Triumph Trophy (Norge's direct competition) &, altho I loved it, my wife complained that she had quite a bit of buffeting at 60+ mph.  I've had no opportunity to test ride a Norge so don't know if that's also the case with it.

In my observations, both personal and from others experiences, there is NO one size fits all wind screens. Even the apparent wind direction changes will effect comfort considerably, as does how far you are from the screen, the rider and passenger height, speed...

The power adjustability of wind screens help but sometimes it is just impossible to get it where both pilot and passenger are in undisturbed air. The disturbed air off of the riders helmet can mess with the air flow over the passengers helmet. I guess that's why there are so many options out there on the market.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline Beerman

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 08:51:34 AM »
The new Cal 1400 is so much more bike, bummer the weight was the decider ( Bush speak )
I saw the Cali 1400 at the dealer. It is, is has to be said, (IMHO of course) a very beautiful machine, and its a Guzzi, but...I have a gravel drive. My wife is broadly tolerant of a third bike in the garage, but, regrettably, intolerant of my tarmacking over the drive. There is about 200lbs (>100kg) difference between the new Speedmaster and the California, so...I will let you know what it is like come March!

Beerman
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 08:52:09 AM by Beerman »
2018 Triumph Speedmaster
2016 V711 Special
2014 Vespa Sprint

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 08:55:41 AM »
Here is my old '93 SP1000-III.   It was a great bike, and there were no wind issues for me as the rider.  However, my wife often complained of "helmet buffeting" @ 75-80 mph...so I sold it.

Darren is correct...we come in all different shapes, sizes, and heights, and every motorcycle is different, so you have to find the model that fits your specific needs...

Although it is a "whale"(871 pounds!!!) and I nicknamed her "Moby Dick", this is the bike (2014 Victory Vision) that I use exclusively for two up riding.  With it's electric windshield, and large trunk / backrest, my wife claims it is the most comfortable, quietest ride she has ever experienced on two wheels, so as the Chinese say:  "Happy Wife...Happy Life!"  :wink: :cool: :smiley:

upload images

For solo outings, I am always on my '98 Centauro GT

« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 08:57:06 AM by JJ »
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Bonaventure

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 01:57:36 PM »
 *Love* Triumph Speedmaster's.  Excellent choice !!  :cool:

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 02:17:14 PM »
*Love* Triumph Speedmaster's.  Excellent choice !!  :cool:

Back in 2011, on the trip to the West Coast, I remember seeing an old duffer on his Speedmaster at a rest stop.  He said he LOVED his Triumph. :1: :thumb: :cool:

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Chesterfield

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2017, 12:35:21 AM »
Of course the watch to go with your bike.

pete roper

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2017, 05:06:14 AM »
As soon as you see the word 'Speed' in a motorcycle's designation you know it's going to be a slow, evil handling disappointment.

Sorry, S'true.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2017, 05:53:08 AM »

I owned a 2014 Triumph Trophy SE with the Triumph trunk mounted and my wife had no issues with buffeting.  I had to adjust the windscreen height for her comfort and all was good.  I am 5'11" with a long torso and with the screen at the highest position I was barely looking over it on a flat road. 

The trophy with its 300 mile range, electronically adjustable suspension, Bluetooth connected entertainment system, etc.  is a direct competitor to the BMW R1200RT.  The Norge along with the Concours 1400, the ST1300 have been left in the dust.  The latest iteration of the FJR1300ES (Electronic Suspension) comes closest but still not quite there.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2017, 07:22:42 AM »
The new Speeds are gorgeous motorcycles.  Congrats!
Triumph seems to have forgotten how to get it wrong...

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2017, 07:25:25 AM »
As soon as you see the word 'Speed' in a motorcycle's designation you know it's going to be a slow, evil handling disappointment.

Sorry, S'true.
Ummm...
Triumph Speed Triple ???

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2017, 07:58:39 AM »
I don't know why, but I never fail to be amazed at replies to these like this that are akin to others taking the OP's choice in bike as some sort of personal affront to their tastes.

I'm not sure the Speedmaster would be my choice in the Bonnie line, but it's a good looking bike and probably will be both fun and reliable.

Congrats, enjoy!

I saw the Cali 1400 at the dealer. It is, is has to be said, (IMHO of course) a very beautiful machine, and its a Guzzi, but...I have a gravel drive. My wife is broadly tolerant of a third bike in the garage, but, regrettably, intolerant of my tarmacking over the drive. There is about 200lbs (>100kg) difference between the new Speedmaster and the California, so...I will let you know what it is like come March!

Beerman

Just because I pick nits professionally, isn't the difference closer to 100#, well at least if you compare the Eldo 1400 to the Speedmaster. The dry weights are ~540 vs 660, so wet weights are probably in the ~580 vs 700 range.

That said what's the problem with the gravel, incline or ???

I've got gravel and want to pave it so I can push bikes out of the garage or around the driveway, but when it comes to riding in for the short distance from the street to the garage there's not a big difference say between the 450# V7 and the 800# RK.

THAT SAID, I totally get wanting something smaller for other reasons too. I love my RK but it's as big a bike as I ever want and if say the slightly smaller new 700# Heritage was available when I bought it last year I might have gone that direction.

An though I want to like the Cali, especially the Eldo it's still got a huge wheelbase and length even with the lower weight.

I dunno....I guess I get the Speedmaster.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2017, 08:04:15 AM »

Sorry, S'true.

NOT the case with the Speed Triple.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

bpreynolds

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2017, 10:18:34 AM »

Sorry, S'true.

Good thing you were only talking about motorcycles because Speed Racer was capable of 250mph. 

« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 10:21:38 AM by bpreynolds »

Offline Psychopasta

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2017, 02:17:49 PM »
I had a Triumph Thunderbird 1700 which I dearly loved, but it was very awkward at low speed, or I should say I was very awkward on it at low speed. It was beautiful when moving but I'm just not man enough for a ~750lb bike. I really wanted a California because it is The Most Beautiful Bike in the Universe, but I thought I'd just be similarly challenged.

So I sold the TBird and bought the new Triumph Bonneville Bobber, which the SpeedMaster shares many parts with. Now it's not a cruiser (I decided I didn't really like foot-forward controls) but it is the most incredible, fun bike to hoon around on. Small fuel tank is an issue to some, but my bladder has a smaller capacity so it's not an issue to me.

A previous poster said that Triumph seems to have forgotten how to do things wrong. I do agree. As a Brit (though exiled to the Pacific North West of the USA) I was skeptical about the Triumph rebirth as I've never liked appeals to patriotism to make you buy something. But John Bloor and his team have really made it a great company: any of the bikes in their range are contenders for your money if you're interested in that sector.

I do wish that Bloor would buy Guzzi. The core material is all there with Guzzi. Just think what their (Triumph's) skill in manufacturing and execution could do, plus their dealer network. It probably will never happen, but I can dream!

- Pasta
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 01:07:49 PM by Psychopasta »
V50 Monza 1981
Moto Guzzi V7 Stone Special 2023
Honda Goldwing 2019
Aprilia Tuareg 660 2023
Ancient A65 Bitsa, in pieces

Offline rider33

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2017, 09:19:16 AM »
I've had pretty good luck with Triumphs and they did a really nice job with the new Speedmaster.  Like Guzzi, they have had trouble cracking the cruiser thing still so important to the US market.  The revised Speedy sort of splits the difference between a retro roadster and a cruiser which may help as it did with the Bobber in that line.  Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of radiators which is why I own a V7 now instead of a new Triumph. 
"some journeys continue long after movement in time and space has ceased"  -Steinbeck

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2018, 08:12:02 AM »
I've had pretty good luck with Triumphs and they did a really nice job with the new Speedmaster.  Like Guzzi, they have had trouble cracking the cruiser thing still so important to the US market.  The revised Speedy sort of splits the difference between a retro roadster and a cruiser which may help as it did with the Bobber in that line.  Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of radiators which is why I own a V7 now instead of a new Triumph.

I go either way with the radiator.  For me the shaft drive tilts me towards Moto Guzzi over the other European brands.  The shaft drive is also why I owned the Concours 1400 and the Trophy SE.  Is someone would make a 800cc sport tourer with shaft drive and 500 lbs I would be a buyer.  Although the Trophy SE got amazing fuel economy if you kept out of the throttle.  Very aerodynamic motorcycle.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline rider33

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2018, 12:00:58 PM »
for me on radiators its context, I don't have a problem with them on a big touring or sport touring bike.  They just seem to stick out a bit on a classic roadster to me. My Vespa (GT) even has one, tho it's very well hidden...
"some journeys continue long after movement in time and space has ceased"  -Steinbeck

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2018, 01:18:26 PM »
I'm no fan of water-cooled bikes in general, but man Triumph did such a good job of integrating it into the new Bonnies and the radiator is no more intrusive than an oil cooler on those models.

That said I'm more a shaft or belt guy than a chain.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Beerman

• Hatchling
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2018, 05:33:42 PM »
Just because I pick nits professionally, isn't the difference closer to 100#, well at least if you compare the Eldo 1400 to the Speedmaster. The dry weights are ~540 vs 660, so wet weights are probably in the ~580 vs 700 range.

That said what's the problem with the gravel, incline or ???

You are of course correct on the weight, but I was looking specifically at the Touring version because that was the one in the showroom, and they were up for a deal. I think that one is 40-50lbs heavier, so it starts to add up; throw in the gravel and I think to myself that I will see what it's like with the 'lighter' bike (though the Soeedmaster is still quite heavy).

And I agree with you about the shaft drive point you made in another post.

Cheers,

Beerman

2018 Triumph Speedmaster
2016 V711 Special
2014 Vespa Sprint

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2018, 05:37:21 PM »

You are of course correct on the weight, but I was looking specifically at the Touring version because that was the one in the showroom, and they were up for a deal. I think that one is 40-50lbs heavier, so it starts to add up; throw in the gravel and I think to myself that I will see what it's like with the 'lighter' bike (though the Soeedmaster is still quite heavy).

And I agree with you about the shaft drive point you made in another post.

Cheers,

Beerman

Oh yeah the C and T models, especially the T, were even heavier. And whatever Cali 1400 weight we use they all have the aircraft carrier length/wheelbase.

[emoji106]
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2018, 10:27:49 AM »
I was fortunate to have a chance to get on a buddy's 1400 Touring over thanksgiving weekend. I'd stopped by with my not motorcycle savvy girlfriend and started talking the bike up to her. He threw me the keys and told us to pick a couple of helmets out. we went for a quick 6.5 mile jaunt, Kentucky style, so it was twisty. I won't presume to review the bike based on that but I can tell you it felt VERY light and nimble. I was stunned. Coming off an old Jackal, I expected much more heft, even looked forward to it. It just wasn't there. Another reviewer here recently commented the the 1400 was too cramped for him, coming from a Victory. I completely understand what he meant. Once on board, it feels less substantial than expected in every way.

Just throwing that into the mix. My brother in law is on an older America 865 2008 (I believe), which I had use of for a summer weekend. Nice bike. Quieter and less of everything than a cali, but enough to be a more than competent tourer.

Anyway from my perspective, despite it's appearance, I think if you can wrangle a sporty or a tonti california, you'd do anything at all with a 1400 California no sweat. My.02
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here