Author Topic: New Triumph (Speedmaster 2018), Keeping the Guzzi  (Read 13866 times)

Offline Beerman

• Hatchling
Re: New Triumph (Speedmaster 2018), Keeping the Guzzi
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2018, 04:21:29 PM »
This was one of my all time favorite rides.  A 2003 790cc Bonneville Centennial Edition,  In Lucifer Orange and Silver.  We picked some nits on TriumphRat forum, since mine was a POST FIRE bike, not a PRE FIRE BIKE.  Story goes Triumph had committed to build a specific number of Centennial Editions, the factory burned.  So they built the remaining bikes as 2003 models.

Mods ...... just a few.  440 Progressive shocks, Progressive fork springs, saddle from Thruxton, lower handle bar, TOR mufflers, re-jetted the overly lean Keihins.

Bike never missed a beat!  Bought used with only 4100 miles showing, sold to a forum member in 2012 showing 50000 miles

Pic taken Easter Sunday morning 2010, on Rt 39, in downtown Millersburg, Ohio.

I preferred the standard Bonnie to the earlier Speedmaster, but really like the appearance of the new one you bought.

Thanks - and you have another of my favourite 'best looking bikes' - the CB1100.

Beerman
2018 Triumph Speedmaster
2016 V711 Special
2014 Vespa Sprint

Offline menzies

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2018, 07:46:59 PM »
Menzies,

Out for a couple of hours today. It is a fantastic bike to ride, and fun. It is a cruiser - but the forward controls aren't as forward as I've seen on most cruisers - it's a midway point, though you can have them set further back. I've found it to be really comfortable, and the finish is excellent. In term of appearance, I could look at it all day.

The bike journos talk about scraping pegs - but in normal riding I didn't manage it. I can't really fault it.

I'm really pleased with it. You may find this an odd comment though - when I get back on the V7 I am reminded just how good that bike is  and it's at a lower cost, with shaft drive.

I recommend you to get a test ride. It's very easy to ride, and feels much lighter than its 245kg.

Beerman

Thanks Beerman, I have spoken with the dealer in Chattanooga about a test ride and a trade.
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2007 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2018, 05:24:09 AM »
Thanks for the pictures, folks.  Those polished engines just do it for me, gorgeous.

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

Offline rudyr

• Gosling
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2018, 09:43:57 PM »
Their is know one likes Guzzi & Triumph more than me but.  For the new2018 Triumph Speed master your looking at about $14000.00 out the door.  A Harley softail slim out the door is $1500.00 with dealer support around the world.  If a Triumph brakes down( space rockets brake) you just as well be on the moon for dealer support. Rudyr

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2018, 09:43:57 PM »

Online jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2018, 11:51:37 PM »
Their is know one likes Guzzi & Triumph more than me but.  For the new2018 Triumph Speed master your looking at about $14000.00 out the door.  A Harley softail slim out the door is $1500.00 with dealer support around the world.  If a Triumph brakes down( space rockets brake) you just as well be on the moon for dealer support. Rudyr

1.  I assume you meant $15,000.00, not $1,500.00 on the Harley.
2.  I agree with your concerns, and more importantly for harmony in my household, my wife also agrees that the Triumph dealer network is pretty slim in the US, especially outside of the NE corridor and California.  However, the MG dealer network is even more dismal.  I wanted to sell my 2013 Road Glide Ultra and buy a used low mileage Triumph Trophy SE to have a nice, comfortable tourer that weighs almost 300 lbs less than the Harley but my wife panicked at the prospect of breaking down out in the middle of nowhere on the Triumph so I had to pass on it.  On the other hand, if you spend some time on the Trophy SE or Norge discussion groups, you don't see much discussion about people getting stranded on the road on either of those bikes - and I have been stranded on the road on a Harley a couple of times, and my riding buddy has been stranded more than a couple of times on his BMW R1200RT.
3.  And, by the way, Harley dealer support can be great if they have parts you need in stock, but it can suck if they have to get parts from the factory.  Two years ago my Road Glide was at the dealer for over 2 months waiting for a new fairing, front fender and saddlebags after I was t-boned by a pickup truck, just waiting for the factory to make another run of those parts in the proper color.  Two f#*@ing months in the middle of the summer!
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2018, 05:26:47 AM »
Well this is how I look at it. Dealer or not you can rent a truck almost anywhere in the US and get it home. Which is fine for any brand. So I wouldn't avoid any bike I wanted based on dealers.

That said saying you sat waiting for body parts after getting t-boned is kinda irrelevant cause you've entered tow it home territory then anyway.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2018, 08:17:45 AM »
Well this is how I look at it. Dealer or not you can rent a truck almost anywhere in the US and get it home. Which is fine for any brand. So I wouldn't avoid any bike I wanted based on dealers.

That said saying you sat waiting for body parts after getting t-boned is kinda irrelevant cause you've entered tow it home territory then anyway.

I fully agree with not getting too hung up about the availability of dealers, but I was also commenting that my personal preferences are colored by needing to cater somewhat to my riding partner unless I want to be sleeping on the couch regularly.   We occasionally ride through areas that don't have cell phone coverage and have little to no traffic for hours at a time. Not to be overly argumentative, but my other point is that even the supposedly very customer-supportive brands can, and do, have Achilles heels.  Having my bike towed home after the T-bone episode wouldn't have gotten it on the road again one day earlier, since I was totally dependent on the factory actually having replacement parts available - which they didn't.  I thank Harley's "Just-On-Time" manufacturing philosophy for that - don't produce parts until you need them and let the customer wait.  Yes, maybe I could have taken off the fairing, bags, and assorted other broken parts that were hanging on the bike and ridden it as a naked bike while waiting for parts, but it is my 2-up TOURING bike and I ended up having to cancel two planned cross-country rides while waiting for Harley to get their act together.
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2018, 08:28:03 AM »

that is funny , in europe harley dealer support is non existant, and you will find triumph dealers all over the place.
having said that , not sure about dealer support on the moon , for either a harley or a triumph.
apparently tesla started a dealership in outer space :-)

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2018, 09:29:18 AM »

I wanted to sell my 2013 Road Glide Ultra and buy a used low mileage Triumph Trophy SE to have a nice, comfortable tourer that weighs almost 300 lbs less than the Harley but my wife panicked at the prospect of breaking down out in the middle of nowhere on the Triumph so I had to pass on it. 

Get stranded "in the middle of nowhere" on any bike, and the brand won't matter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2018, 09:37:56 AM »

Get stranded "in the middle of nowhere" on any bike, and the brand won't matter.

October 2009 - - stranded in the middle of the Central Coast of California, (near Morro Bay), with a busted throttle cable :shocked: :huh: :rolleyes: - - 4.5 hour delay - - was able to modify a cable at a local Honda shop in Paso Robles - - all part of the adventure! :laugh: :grin: :wink:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Online jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2018, 10:37:43 AM »

I didn't say that her fears were reasonable or logical - just that I have to cater to them somewhat to keep the peace.   :laugh:
JC

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2018, 05:23:38 AM »
any updates on the Speedmaster? 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here