Author Topic: The Cycle World thread , wherein we discuss all things CW related .  (Read 8961 times)

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Cycle World
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2018, 07:02:38 PM »
Regarding Egan's health, I remember reading in one of his last columns that he suffered a mild stroke.  Kick-starting his Norton, no less!  He was funny and self-deprecating about it, as always.  Something about selling the Norton for a Triumph with electric start!  Hope he sticks around for a long time, heck, I'm not THAT much younger than he is after all.

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2018, 12:28:22 PM »
The new layout felt very 'Iron and Air' magazine quality... https://ironandair.com/

We will see how this helps/hurts CW... that industry is tanking quicker than the motorcycle one it writes about.

twowings

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2018, 04:43:40 PM »
My initial impression is favorable...the photography is top-drawer and the article subject matter seems varied and interesting...same old 'male-enhancement' ads in the back to provide a link to the past format... :grin:

jlburgess

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2018, 09:51:13 PM »
Holy crap!  Mine just showed up in the mail and it is absolutely stunning quality!  I friggin' love it.  I will gladly pay for print quality of that magnitude.

You probably won't believe this but my #1 Auntie lived with Joe Parkhurst for years and I was at his house quite often.  She worked in an automotive complex with Bruce Meyers Manx, Ernie Ball, AAR Gurney and many others. This makes me really proud of the SoCal legacy!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2018, 09:51:13 PM »

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2018, 05:04:28 AM »
They had to try something new as readership was dropping like a stone.  I give them top marks for trying something different so they can survive.  I'm sure the handwriting was on the wall and I'l bet dollars to doughnuts every one of the editors in the motorcycle magazine world were told "get readership up, and quick, or you're done".  The editor of MCN has, in the last two issues, been hinting at that and last month basically said to readership "get your friends to subscribe".

Maybe Moshe can jump in with some industry insight at some point.  Most of you know he contributes to MNC, Rider, BMWMOA magazine, and has his own gig doing reviews (which he posts links to here, and elsewhere).

It's $$$, but a subscription to BIKE and/or MSL out of the UK will provide a much nicer, IMHO, read that the American magazines in general.  That said, every now and again, stories like the ones Moshe and Jack Lewis wrote about veterans and motorcycles are published and they were absolutely BRILLIANT and worth the entire years cost of the magazine.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2018, 08:41:13 AM »
I used to have a few subscriptions (on and off for 25 years) as well as the BMW Owner News which was as large as a regular mag.  I really lost interest in new bikes about 2012 as they became more plasticised, too complex and the prices started hitting the stratosphere. I am riding the Guzzi because it was the only bike that was interesting to me.  To my eye, it has old-school style without feeling old school to ride, it has real metal, air cooled, a couple of nannys but not intrusive and the price was not cheap but not unreasonable and I think the quality has really come up to where it needed to be.  Getting back to the topic of magazines, Guzzis don't get any coverage except at the end of the season so I really could care less about the mags.
Blue Guzz

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2018, 09:19:56 AM »
Strangle enough, motorcycle mag bike coverage is what I don't read the mainstream mags for.  It's all the other stuff, few and far between, but worth searching out, that I enjoy.  As for bike reviews, who cares!  It's ALWAYS the newest that is .oo4 quicker to 100.  Meh.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2018, 12:05:56 PM »
Strangle enough, motorcycle mag bike coverage is what I don't read the mainstream mags for.  It's all the other stuff, few and far between, but worth searching out, that I enjoy.  As for bike reviews, who cares!  It's ALWAYS the newest that is .oo4 quicker to 100.  Meh.

Me too.   Had a lifetime of "Liter-Bike Shootout At Willow Springs!" and riding to the Rock Store.   Done with all that.   

Giving CW a year's worth at $12, see whether I like it enough to do it again ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline PICKLEKOOKEN

• Gaggle Mentor
  • 74 ELDO ( MOTHER GOOSE) 2007 NORGY
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2018, 04:24:49 AM »
Well I think C/W and Motorcyclist are both on there way out. I want the news on Motorcycles, not a history lesson! They both have a  long way to catch up to Road Runner, and R/R should come out monthly!
So many curves. so little time!

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2018, 07:18:00 AM »
Well I think C/W and Motorcyclist are both on there way out. I want the news on Motorcycles, not a history lesson! They both have a  long way to catch up to Road Runner, and R/R should come out monthly!

I'm glad someone else mentioned RoadRunner.   Best motorcycle magazine out there, has been for 15 years, all riding/all touring, all the stuff we Guzzi riders do ... and it's like it doesn't exist ... ?

Lannis

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2018, 09:22:05 AM »
Getting back to Cycle World; Pete Egan and Mark Hoyer joined up for a travel article about my neck of the woods this month involving Indian motorcycles. For Egan, this trip is a reprise of many visits that he has made here since 1978. I seem to recall that The Egan/Hoyer team did a similar type of article involving Nortons a short while back, also. Print may be dead, but not 'cause these guys aren't trying...

https://www.cycleworld.com/smoke-trail-motorcycle-tour-riding-blues-highway-from-memphis-to-new-orleans-on-indian-motorcycles?CMPID=ene031818
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2018, 12:25:16 PM »
I have a friend who has had a couple transactions with Egan, in both cases he said Egan behaved like jerk.  Shrug.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Diploman

• "The future just ain't what it used to be." Yogi
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2018, 02:06:54 PM »
Europe's most serious and perennial moto-mag is the redoubtable Germanic Motorrad, published in various guises since 1903.  Very comprehensive coverage of the entire international Moto market:  bikes, accessories, clothing, helmets, safety, performance, racing, etc.  Quite technically oriented, with lots of long-distance durability testing, complete with teardowns.  Some good touring articles, in recent years covering rides on continents outside of Europe.  Surprisingly, Motorrad seems to be quite even-handed with reviews, less BMW-centric than one might expect.  The "full-Monty" print edition is published only in German, but recently Motorrad has gone heavily into online editions, with a high-content digital edition in German:

https://www.motorradonline.de

And a less substantial, but still interesting, digital edition in English:

https://www.motorcycle-magazine.com

Unlike much of the printed Moto-press, Motorrad seems to be thriving and expanding coverage.

1980 V50 II, lightly cafe'd, much modernized
1983 SP 1000 NT (Under Upgrade/Modification)
2015 KTM 390 Duke

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2018, 10:42:14 PM »
I subscribed to Das Motorrad for a few years back in the '70's.  Couldn't read it for crap, my German is atrocious, but had to give it up.  Too many neat bikes, great gear and super cool accessories we couldn't get here in US.  Not to mention the rallies.  My heart just couldn't stand it.
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2018, 12:31:10 AM »
I noted that quite a few reviews were by Sir Alan Cathcart.  You can never go wrong when he's writing.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2018, 05:55:26 AM »
I have a friend who has had a couple transactions with Egan, in both cases he said Egan behaved like jerk.  Shrug.

He bought a Triumph from  (now banned) Farmer Fred at the old Indiana Bridgeton rally several years ago. Took him for a ride to get ice cream in the sidecar. Nice guy. I didn't know who he was.. just another bearded Guzzi Guy.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

oldbike54

« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2018, 06:10:15 AM »
He bought a Triumph from  (now banned) Farmer Fred at the old Indiana Bridgeton rally several years ago. Took him for a ride to get ice cream in the sidecar. Nice guy. I didn't know who he was.. just another bearded Guzzi Guy.

I've known a couple of folks who had BMW transactions with Egan , no complaints . He was at the Lake-O-The Pines Norton rally the last time I was there , didn't really meet him , but he seemed to just be hanging out acting normal .

Dusty

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2018, 06:42:56 AM »
I find most mc mags about as boring as this conversation. Really, how much can be written about riding a motorcycle. It’s more about the act of doing it not reading about someone else. I like Missouri conservationist
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

oldbike54

« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2018, 06:57:27 AM »
I find most mc mags about as boring as this conversation. Really, how much can be written about riding a motorcycle. It�s more about the act of doing it not reading about someone else. I like Missouri conservationist

Do you mean "conversationalist" ? :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2018, 07:26:56 AM »
no
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

oldbike54

« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2018, 08:11:25 AM »
no

Oh , you meant the magazine . Yeah , I love those types of publications , great outdoor stuff  :thumb:

Dusty

twowings

« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2018, 11:44:04 AM »
Well, I finished the new issue and I liked it...reminds me somewhat of 'Automobile' magazine without (so far) the wickedly humorous writing style...I'll keep my subscription to see what develops...

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2018, 12:18:41 PM »
Ran across this Egan article from Road and Track online about a trip in a Morgan 3 wheeler.  Good read (for those of you that don't mind reading!)

Maybe they'll make one with a Guzzi engine someday?   https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autos-sports/the-best-road-trip-cars-ever-made/ss-BBKjkQw?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=PerDHP#image=9

Offline Steve Scott

• Gaggle Hero
  • Ride, Fettle, Repeat
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2018, 12:26:54 PM »
I liked it a lot.

Interesting thing is that I'm not a current subscriber, having let my subscription lapse a few months ago.
'79 Morini 500S
'00 'Guzzi Jackal
'67 Teisco ET-440
Spring Grove, PA USA

Offline Bill Dee

• New Egg
  • Cautious Expert Rider
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2018, 08:20:45 PM »
First Motorcyclist went Poo Poo with a lot of fancy paper and tiny fonts with lots of empty space on every page.  Totally boring content made it worse. I decided to let my subscription run out and subscribed to Cycle world... What have I done ???  CW is crap now.  You know they both come from the same publisher.   
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 01:15:27 AM by Bill Dee »
If We Don't Have Jobs Making It ...... How Will We Have The Money To Buy It ?

Offline gentlemanjim

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2018, 05:54:06 PM »
I don't want a coffee table library look magazine, just good journalism and interesting objective reporting.  I cancelled both mags.  Need to loo into Road Rider

Offline handyandy

• Gosling
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2018, 09:05:13 PM »
I quit them because they never had anything for a 70 year old Guzzi rider. I suppose they are focusing on the younger kids.

Offline mobiker

• Hatchling
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2018, 09:52:37 PM »
I was a fairly early internet adopter, but I like magazines. The paper ones. I've subscribed to Rider, MCN, CW and MC on and off since the seventies. Cycle too - remember that one?

MC changed their format and I let my sub lapse. I just resubscribed to CW for what I thought was 22 issues. Turned out it was for 8 issues. I cancelled and they refunded my money. Like most here, I don't care for large format coffee table picture magazines. Both MC and CW have a long rich history. Sad to see them on their way out. Changing times, changing technology. For many years now Rider has been my favorite. Hope they can hang around a few more years.
Mike

'88 BMW R100GS

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2018, 04:28:25 PM »
I was the same way.   That and the big discount they're offering convinced me to give it a shot ....

Lannis

Got my second issue of the new Cycle World today and I think it's a keeper.   

It's not full of silly adverts (although it still has the mustachioed woman in the back pages selling aphrodisiacs), it had two good Kevin Cameron articles, and I was interested in almost every one of the other articles, which is rare for me.

Photography and readability is good.

Think I'm gonna stick with it!

Lannis

F_Sahms

« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2018, 04:57:52 PM »

Banned?  Ahem :laugh:

Peter really is just a motorcycle guy.

As for magazines, Benzina (almost exclusively Italian bike content) has subscriptions now  https://teambenzina.bigcartel.com/

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here