Author Topic: Next bike for my daughter? Got one?  (Read 7122 times)

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
Next bike for my daughter? Got one?
« on: June 09, 2018, 08:16:56 AM »
I have total rock stars for kids.  My 17 year old daughter has been riding dirt bikes and mopeds for a couple years.  She took the MSF weekend course a few weeks ago and got her license.  She has a 1975 CT90 that she's going to ride the Puppy Dog Trail with next month. 

We're looking for something a little bit bigger that will keep up with traffic this summer.  The usual suspects are of no interest.  Hates Ninja's, doesn't like TW200's, etc.  A Van Van would be acceptable but my budget is $2,000. Yes.  I'm buying it.  She just finished her junior year in high school and aced her AP Calculus, AP English and AP Physics courses.  She did it while earning two state championships this year and working 20 hours a week.  The kid deserves something special for all her hard work, she wants a bike so I'm buying her one.

What she really, really wants is a Guzzi V7.  I'm obviously not going to find one for 2k.  Every Monza I see is a project.  Neither she nor I want to spend the summer wrenching.  Her CT90 was a father/daughter project and while fun, we're not interested in spending months and a ton of money to get a bike running.  She's 5'6" and 115lbs so I don't think an older Cali/Stone would work but I've seen several in our price range.  A Convert would probably be too big and the ones I've seen under $2500 need a lot of work.  She loves vintage stuff and she nearly hyperventilated when I showed her pictures of Converts, G5's and T3's.  G5 and T3 prices have about doubled in the last ten years and they're probably too much bike for her anyway.  To give you an idea of her tastes, her dream bike is a 73 Eldorado exactly like the one I had when she was 6. 

Her 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices would all be Guzzi.  She might like an older Monster but they're generally hammered on and need new belts and a valve adjustment at minimum when they're under 2500. 

Anyone have a suggestion or better yet...a bike they're looking to part with that would meet a discerning kid's tastes? 

« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 08:21:51 AM by JohninVT »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Next bike for my daughter? Got one?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 08:29:27 AM »
I know you said your budget is $2k, but honestly you made a really strong case for her and you can get a late-model V7 (as in single throttle body) for around $4k. You might find a slightly earlier 2TB for closer to $2k. It's at least worth considering them.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 08:35:55 AM »
Good on you dad. I'm the father of three girls and am currently browsing for a TW200 because they miss their old Honda 80s and 100s that they used ride on trails with me. I thought a TW would be a good way to ease them into street riding.

As for your situation, have you considered searching for bikes with salvage or rebuilt titles? Sometimes you can find a serviceable bike for a low price if the cosmetic damage was enough to "total" it for the previous owner's insurance company.

I just did a craigslist search for all bikes for sale by owner between 1500 and 2500 in San Diego (where I live). I probably should not have done so... bu here are few interesting options:

2001 Triumph Sport 955i
Clean 1986 Yamaha Radian 600
2002 Ducati Monster 620
1985 Honda Nighthawk S 750
2002 Honda VFR800
1969 Honda CL350 (restored scrambler)
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 09:02:14 AM »
I know exactly what you're saying, but although us old beat-up guys can risk ourselves on the road on a sub-$2000 Guzzi, I wouldn't feel right about putting my son or daughter on one.

I bought a $1600 Suzuki Titan for my son when he was 17, but it didn't run for long.   I saw an EV11 needing some work get auctioned for $1900 at Jim Stogdale's estate auction, but that's a big bike and may not be on the list.

It's a shame she doesn't fancy a Kaw Ninja.   We had one for a bit, and it was the perfect size for Fay, and, I suspect, for your daughter.

A light woman with any small degree of attitude will run circles around most guys on one of these things, and you can get the nicest one in the country for $1500.   This one here has almost 40,000 miles on it now and still gittin' up ....

Good luck whichever way you go, it's a noble cause!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 09:02:14 AM »

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 09:03:03 AM »
Good on you dad. I'm the father of three girls and am currently browsing for a TW200 because they miss their old Honda 80s and 100s that they used ride on trails with me. I thought a TW would be a good way to ease them into street riding.

As for your situation, have you considered searching for bikes with salvage or rebuilt titles? Sometimes you can find a serviceable bike for a low price if the cosmetic damage was enough to "total" it for the previous owner's insurance company.

I just did a craigslist search for all bikes for sale by owner between 1500 and 2500 in San Diego (where I live). I probably should not have done so... bu here are few interesting options:

2001 Triumph Sport 955i
Clean 1986 Yamaha Radian 600
2002 Ducati Monster 620
1985 Honda Nighthawk S 750
2002 Honda VFR800
1969 Honda CL350 (restored scrambler)

If I had my way she'd be on a Suzuki TU250.  They're incredible little bikes and when she took her course they used Grom's and TU250's.  However, she's shown no interest in anything Japanese other than her CT90.  She hates sportbikes, which are a dime a dozen under 2500 and isn't even enthused about the looks of naked SV650's.  She also isn't crazy about cruisers.  I floated the idea of a Sportster and she shot it down in flames.  The only reason she'd ride a Cali/Stone is because it's a Guzzi.  The kid likes what she likes.       

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 09:14:12 AM »
Ask her about a Nevada, you can usually get a early FI one reasonable, then put a V7 tank on it.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline giusto

• Gaggle Hero
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 09:33:01 AM »
I would go with a V65

Enough horse to be plenty fun, well balanced...handle amazingly well...light weight (compared to the big blocks) and my son is thinking of going bigger. He's had this bike for two years...it is in excellent condition....no issues at all...we just put an SP faring on it. 25 K miles...runs great...brand new rear tire and rear shocks...and $2000 firm. It's been in classifieds here on WG...older pics. pm me if interested

2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 09:33:18 AM »
 I'll just throw this in the mix, but there are a couple of sisters here locally that have CX500's. Mini Guzzi.  One a fully cafe'd and the other restored stock. Cheap enoough to buy and parts still available. Cult network. Happy Hunting!

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 09:40:48 AM »
There was a Baby Breva from Albequerque listed in the Swap Meet for under 2K.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 09:41:18 AM »
I would go with a V65

Enough horse to be plenty fun, well balanced...handle amazingly well...light weight (compared to the big blocks) and my son is thinking of going bigger. He's had this bike for two years...it is in excellent condition....no issues at all...we just put an SP faring on it. 25 K miles...runs great...brand new rear tire and rear shocks...and $2000 firm. It's been in classifieds here on WG...older pics. pm me if interested

That's a direct answer to the question asked!

Looks like a great deal.

Lannis

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 11:59:42 AM »
OR, you can get that V7 you wanted, let her ride and maintain it, and maybe someday when she graduates collage you can GIVE it to her.
Maybe you even get to ride it every now and then!

My wife's first bike was a CZ250 (or was it CU, I forget).  It was a really good motorcycle.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2018, 12:00:00 PM »
Take some of your money out of your retirement if necessary, have her "pay" for half or a portion with an IOU and just do it.  ------Buy her a used V7----

You know she's your princess.

10 years from now you'll be happy you did. 

Also you might want to consider getting a V7 that you would want --just in case

A decade ago I went in 1/2 on a 2000 MR2 for my daughter.  Prior to that she'd bought various junkers that didn't last long.  The MR2 she still has.  of course the old man is doing most of the maintenance

and just to put the extra "Guilt" in -- next week is Father's Day
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2018, 12:23:20 PM »
OR, you can get that V7 you wanted, let her ride and maintain it, and maybe someday when she graduates collage you can GIVE it to her.
Maybe you even get to ride it every now and then!

My wife's first bike was a CZ250 (or was it CU, I forget).  It was a really good motorcycle.

Razee’s is selling V7 Specials for $7500.  Not sure what their dealer fees are but I’m giving it some thought.

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2018, 12:31:54 PM »
V11 sport can be had for about 3.5k in the US?

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2018, 06:46:45 PM »
In greater Syracuse, I drove by a 2007 Baby Breva (Red) for sale for $3500, low mileage (My photo had a mirror blocking the info) ph nr 607 882-3224.  The Previous owner stopped by when I was perusing the bike, said he had bought it new for his wife and sold it to the present owner last year.  if DON (or Dan) is on this board he might jump in/ and as always, I have no personal connection other than it is in the neighborhood.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2018, 06:52:49 PM »
How about this:

Not $2,000 but also not $7,500+ dealer fee's

If I put the stock mufflers back on $4,800.00 no dealer fee's and I'll feed you dinner when you pick it up.

From the sound of it, she'd look good on that..  :smiley:
Congrats, John, you are a lucky man.  :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2018, 08:23:59 PM »
That's a direct answer to the question asked!

Looks like a great deal.

Lannis
Yep, that’s a lot of bike for that price and a good looking ride also.

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2018, 08:45:53 PM »
I would recommend a V7.  They are really great bikes and she sounds like she deserves it.  Can be had for around 4K, or buy her a new one! 
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2018, 08:51:59 PM »
Have you seen the 750 Breva on the first page of the Swap Meet for $1776?  Belongs to a friend and I have ridden it recently and ridden behind it often.  It is a great running bike, and the seller is a fine gentleman.  It is high mileage, but it is a runner!
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

Offline Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2018, 11:27:50 PM »
Alan, sorry  (not really ) but I purchased Dan's Breva 2 weeks ago. I think there is one still for sale in Albequerque for about  the same price. I'm really pleased with it so far.

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2018, 02:03:56 AM »
It's a bit more than your number, don't know if it's still available...but.. looks nice. I thought about it, but I don't need a 700cc class right now.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/451761358/

Maybe you should give her your 1400 and buy yourself a new one :evil: :thumb:

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Online Calculon

• Hatchling
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2018, 03:48:15 AM »
A Van Van would be acceptable but my budget is $2,000.

TU250x?  They've been around longer than the Van Van, so you might able to find one under budget.
2015 Honda Forza 300 ABS

Offline Noguzznoglory

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2018, 06:54:14 AM »
Have you seen the 750 Breva on the first page of the Swap Meet for $1776?  Belongs to a friend and I have ridden it recently and ridden behind it often.  It is a great running bike, and the seller is a fine gentleman.  It is high mileage, but it is a runner!

:1: on the Breva. They have a small bike feel, power is good without making you feel like it will snatch you off or wheelie up, and it’s in your price range
93 750 Nighthawk
73 Honda CB350
73 Honda CL450
04 Breva 750
15 Norge
16 VERSYS 650

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2018, 08:12:34 AM »
Alan, sorry  (not really ) but I purchased Dan's Breva 2 weeks ago. I think there is one still for sale in Albequerque for about  the same price. I'm really pleased with it so far.

Mike, good for you!  Dans little Breva is a really good runner.  He let me ride it a few times and it seemed like a great bike.  I think the little Breva were very underrated.
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis

Offline stonelover

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2018, 02:32:45 PM »
calcutron is right.  The TU250x is a great bike.  BUT--If Guzzi is her passion, the V65 offered by guisto looks like a winner.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2018, 02:53:04 PM »
....  However, she's shown no interest in anything Japanese other than her CT90.  She hates sportbikes, which are a dime a dozen under 2500 and isn't even enthused about the looks of naked SV650's.  She also isn't crazy about cruisers.  I floated the idea of a Sportster and she shot it down in flames.  The only reason she'd ride a Cali/Stone is because it's a Guzzi.  The kid likes what she likes.     

I'm all for doing nice things for our kids when they've done everything we've asked of them.   And now that I have two adorable granddaughters, the "pull" to fulfill their every whim gets stronger every time I see them.   (They're staying with us next week and they'll have us wrapped around their fingers by the time they leave.)

ON the other hand (and there's always another hand), there's the "Don't Look A Gift Horse In The Mouth" thing, too, and a point at which "perfection is the enemy of goodness".   

When I were a lad, if someone had shown up and handed me a ragged Honda Super 90 and said "Here, this is yours", I'd have thanked them profusely and ridden the wheels off of it!

That's just a thought.   I fully understand the other side, too.

Lannis

Offline antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2018, 04:34:05 PM »

Offline dsrdave

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2018, 04:54:57 PM »
If you want to stay with a guzzi the breva would be a good choice.  If you want a vintage guzzi  I've got a very nice V50.  All restored an ready to go.....
2-850T, 2-1000 convert/hacked, V11 sport, V50, centauro, '97 sport 1100, '71 V7 ambo, '76 850 Lemans,CX100,"83 LM III,1000SE, '91 LM V, '07 Griso, '53 super alce,moto parilla, zigolo, Lodola 175, Lodola 235,  '07 norge, '67 stornello, 57galletto, Nuovo Falcone, stornello ISDT, 52 Airone sport

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2018, 06:08:52 PM »
Personally, I would recommend the V7 racer. It's just big enough to take her to Brooklyn- where she can meet a hipster tattoo/piercing artist, drop out of school, and enroll at the local alternative center for a degree in occult studies.

...then again, maybe I'm overthinking it.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2018, 08:05:22 PM »
It's a bit more than your number, don't know if it's still available...but.. looks nice. I thought about it, but I don't need a 700cc class right now.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/451761358/

Maybe you should give her your 1400 and buy yourself a new one :evil: :thumb:

Tom

Wow, one of the rare Stones with gloss paint.   $3,500 is a very good deal on that.  Your daughter has done you proud, anti-up and get her this V7 !!!
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here