Author Topic: 2016 Eldorado, As Frustrating as it is Beautiful  (Read 8888 times)

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 2016 Eldorado, As Frustrating as it is Beautiful
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2018, 03:45:54 PM »
I would absolutely love to have the black & red Eldo modified with mufflers so it sounds like an air/oil cooled V-Twin, the CA Touring windshield, CA Touring driving lights and the passenger backrest/luggage rack as shown in the old Guzzi show video. Apparently that passenger backrest/luggage rack combo could be coming out through an alternate source. Anyway, an Eldorado, or literally any Moto Guzzi is simply not going to happen at this point. Try as I did over the last couple of months to talk to my wife about it, she is in no way what so ever on board. Certainly not with having a Moto Guzzi, any Moto Guzzi in our garage. We've only been married for 32 years and we fully intend to go another 32 and many more after that. So, I know when to say when as I value a healthy relationship with her more than just about anything. The Moto Guzzi signs will however, remain hanging on the garage wall.

After 32 years you might be able to invoke the Forgiveness vs. Permission rule and just go get the bike.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2018, 03:54:41 PM »
40 years plus of marriage here and there has never been any long lasting negative effects from buying a motorcycle.   

I don't think most wives would admit it, but my theory is if you willingly give away your nads  they loose respect.   :thewife:   :laugh:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 04:46:13 PM by Dave Swanson »
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2018, 04:14:37 PM »
 so you can't buy the bike because your wife wont let you, and you already have a motorcycle in the same 'touring cruiser' class that you like better... how does that make the Eldorado frustrating? sounds like a great bike that you don't want and cant buy.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2018, 04:55:36 PM »
In my best southern church voice, "Tell it brother, tell it!"
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2018, 04:55:36 PM »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2018, 06:46:37 PM »
Sure wish I could "Like" some of these posts.   :grin:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2018, 09:32:04 PM »
I could NEVER sell my Victorys. I don�t mind adding bikes to the harem. But never sell the Vics...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I totally agree, do not get rid of a Victory. The Eldo would have been a solo bike as to me it wouldn't make sense to try and make it a 'touring' bike. Certainly not when you own and love a Cross Country Tour like I do. Nothing, and I mean nothing on the market from any manufacturer can, IMHO, hold a candle to my CCT as a 'touring' motorcycle. It also handles the mountains and the hills beautifully.

I love the idea of adding another Victory for solo duty which is why something like a 2014 Victory Highball in black and white with the mag wheels could likely be the Eldorado replacement. When the right bike, at the right time and with the right deal comes along, a second Victory is very likely.

What some Moto Guzzi owners don't seem to know is that the Victory 106 based bikes are an excellent 'big' bike alternative for the Guzzi fan. There are a fair amount of Victory owners on the Victory forums that either still are or used to be Moto Guzzi owners. In fact every Moto Guzzi mention I've ever read on the Victory forums is very well received. Like me, other Victory owners appreciate the Guzzi bikes for being unique and marching to their own music.

I recently picked up a Moto Guzzi coffee cup which is front and center on a shelf in my office. I'll continue to watch what Piaggio does with the Moto Guzzi line. There will come a time where I'll have another Guzzi.

oldbike54

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2018, 11:17:19 PM »
 Literally I have no idea what the purpose of this thread is  :huh:

Dusty

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2018, 05:23:39 AM »

Dusty

TN Mark is venting his frustration that Victory is a dead brand, yet Moto Guzzi just keeps going out of business since 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2018, 05:55:59 AM »

Dusty

He wants an Eldorado but his wife won't let him have one.

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2018, 06:11:42 AM »
having had a victory and now a guzzi, i understand.  as good as the victory is, and it is very good as in the most reliable, trouble free bike i ever owned and handily outperformed the harley wide glide i traded for it in all performance catagories except one and that one was intangible - call it character, personality or some other humanizing trait, i respected the victory and its awesome engineering, but did not really love mine.  the guzzi reminds me of the harley in that it feels like something alive, more than the sum of its parts so to speak but at the same time, it too outperforms the harley in every significant performance matrix.  to some but not all riders, this resonates, others could care less.  i think the op gets this too, hence the guzzi love when he already owns a bike he loves.  btw - this cali custom can tour with the best of them.  the original honda valkyrie was 90 horse and 90 pounds of torque and no one called that inadequate.
Blue Guzz

Offline Litre1000

• Hatchling
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2018, 06:21:37 AM »
As much as I love my Victory’s, and I sure do, I still want a Moto Guzzi very badly. As matter fact, I’m going this Saturday to look at two of them.

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2018, 06:57:13 AM »
having had a victory and now a guzzi, i understand.  as good as the victory is, and it is very good as in the most reliable, trouble free bike i ever owned and handily outperformed the harley wide glide i traded for it in all performance catagories except one and that one was intangible - call it character, personality or some other humanizing trait, i respected the victory and its awesome engineering, but did not really love mine.  the guzzi reminds me of the harley in that it feels like something alive, more than the sum of its parts so to speak but at the same time, it too outperforms the harley in every significant performance matrix.  to some but not all riders, this resonates, others could care less.  i think the op gets this too, hence the guzzi love when he already owns a bike he loves.  btw - this cali custom can tour with the best of them.  the original honda valkyrie was 90 horse and 90 pounds of torque and no one called that inadequate.

Well said.

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2018, 07:01:30 AM »
As much as I love my Victory�s, and I sure do, I still want a Moto Guzzi very badly. As matter fact, I�m going this Saturday to look at two of them.

Fantastic. I wanted to love the two 1400’s I test rode. But they just didn’t move me like the CCT does. Guzzi is getting there so time is on their side.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2018, 07:13:18 AM »
The more I ride my 1400 tourer the more I like and respect the technology that went into its design. If it can just not possess any of the guzzi GERMLINS they are usually plagued with I think this may end up being my favorite bike of all time.

Offline oilhed

• Gosling
  • Former Guzzi, current Beemer & Harley
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2018, 08:39:01 AM »
I could NEVER sell my Victorys.

I always liked the Vision.  I just kept waiting for a second generation without sooo much swoop on the saddlebags and maybe a little less angle on the fairing.  It's a great do it all!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 08:39:41 AM by oilhed »
MarkKF, aka OILHED
2009 BMW K1200LT
2018 HD FLHP

oldbike54

« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2018, 09:21:51 AM »
TN Mark is venting his frustration that Victory is a dead brand, yet Moto Guzzi just keeps going out of business since 1921

He wants an Eldorado but his wife won't let him have one.

Mark seems a decent bloke , but I am unable to decipher most of his posts .Thanks for the explanations .

Dusty

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2018, 11:25:26 AM »
Y’all should back off with the “your wife won’t let you" thing.
TN Mark is a great guy and not wanting to sow discourse in a marriage over a motorcycle is a noble thing imho.
I bet if he really wanted it he could buy it and his wife would live with his decision.

The thread is about MG1400’s and particularly the Eldo.

The Vic is a great bike and while all owners are saddened at their demise he sure doesn’t sound bitter about it. (be warned Indian lovers) Parts and such are available for the Vics so ride on.

It’s not like other brands haven’t come and gone and MG had discontinued bikes along the years too.

Ride what you like and like what you ride.
RideOn!

inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2018, 12:32:07 PM »
Why, he clearly said his wife won't allow it?  That's just the fact, has nothing to do with how great a guy Mark is.  I disagree with many of his conclusions throughout this thread, but I will give him props for restraint, he has taken a few hits and didn't fire back in anger.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2018, 01:14:33 PM »
Hey badchad,

Just to clarify, my remarks weren’t in anger either as I'm pretty sure Mark’s not angry, even tough "he has taken some hits" in your words. Some of the other remarks were just much more crass and I was simply pointing out that there is/was no need for machismo comments about his manhood or other such nonsense.

Sometimes we say things like “the wife won’t let me” as a figure of speech not literally. Although I can't presume to know if that is/was the deal breaker in this case.

No worries
Cheers
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2018, 02:19:15 PM »
Jenn had a particularly bad day (tough patient) yesterday, I think it might have been a full termer or close, but there was meconium aspiration. X-rays of the lungs made it look like solid blocks of it, probably in utero. But it was one of those when the apgars go the wrong way and they hit road blocks with every treatment they try...

... So she got home late and frustrated/upset.

Meanwhile, Kev finished up work a few hours earlier and should have started dinner. Instead he showered and checked on the kids to find them both lying down in Seamus's room, lights off, fan on, saying they were tired.

Sounded good to Kev, he crawled in between them for a snuggle.

Woke up an hour after Jenn should have been home to find Jenn standing over them and the unanswered text messages on his phone.

Worst part, for Kev, yup, that dinner she was expecting...

Fast forward 30 minutes he's standing at the counter of a local Italian joint picking up a pizza, mussels and shrimp over linguini fra diavalo, and some buttered noodles and meatballs for the kids. Seamus is with him and says "you sure saved Daddy."

Kev adds "yeah, wife got home pissed after a bad day at work and instead of finding dinner on the table she found me and the kids taking a nap, so you guys are saving my ass"

Waitress draws air in slowly and dramatically through pursed lips.

Dude at the register looks at the ground, shakes his head and says "good luck."

None of them knew Kev would be telling Jenn that story over dinner and a bottle of Cab and she'd be cracking up at the thought.

Yeah, sometimes things at home aren't as dramatic as we make it out to be. She thought finding us all asleep was pretty damn cute.

So endeth the lesson.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2018, 02:25:03 PM »
If I wrote she won�t �let� me, that was an error on my part. My wife absolutely doesn�t want me to get another Moto Guzzi. But i could if i really wanted too. Her position, and she�s correct, is because I all too often spend way too much money completing them to my liking from where Guzzi left off with the design. Therefore, in some of the ones I�ve had, they end up as a money pit. Could I get an Eldorado, sure. It would be a solo rider for me anyway, not for us as the Victory handles two up perfectly. But knowing how she�s against it, why would I when there are so many wonderful alternatives available. You can run your lives how you see fit and I�ll do the same if that�s ok.

There are a lot of solo bikes I can be very happy with. A Victory Highball or even an older H-D Wide Glide. I�m not married or infatuated with any particular motorcycle brand. I�ve owned and enjoyed five different brands so far. So, if I find the right Highball at the right time at the right price and it�s the right deal i�ll bring it home and everyone will be happy. If I find something else altogether, that�s fine as well.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2018, 02:34:25 PM »
Y�all should back off with the �your wife won�t let you" thing.
TN Mark is a great guy and not wanting to sow discourse in a marriage over a motorcycle is a noble thing imho.

inditx

Yes, I enjoy TN Mark's posts and I don't have a problem understanding them.

But we cannot play favorites here.   Whenever a member includes "My wife doesn't let ..." or "My wife doesn't think ... " or "She really doesn't ..." in a post about buying motorcycles, then there's only one possible action that can be taken ....  :wink:

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2018, 02:39:41 PM »
I always liked the Vision.  I just kept waiting for a second generation without sooo much swoop on the saddlebags and maybe a little less angle on the fairing.  It's a great do it all!

Some people have grafted the Cross bike saddlebags, rear fender and the trunk onto a Vision. IMHO, had Polaris done that they could revitalized the Vision line. But they stopped any and all Vision R&D soon after it debuted.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 02:42:10 PM by TN Mark »

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2018, 02:43:22 PM »
Jenn had a particularly bad day (tough patient) yesterday, I think it might have been a full termer or close, but there was meconium aspiration. X-rays of the lungs made it look like solid blocks of it, probably in utero. But it was one of those when the apgars go the wrong way and they hit road blocks with every treatment they try...

... So she got home late and frustrated/upset.

Meanwhile, Kev finished up work a few hours earlier and should have started dinner. Instead he showered and checked on the kids to find them both lying down in Seamus's room, lights off, fan on, saying they were tired.

Sounded good to Kev, he crawled in between them for a snuggle.

Woke up an hour after Jenn should have been home to find Jenn standing over them and the unanswered text messages on his phone.

Worst part, for Kev, yup, that dinner she was expecting...

Fast forward 30 minutes he's standing at the counter of a local Italian joint picking up a pizza, mussels and shrimp over linguini fra diavalo, and some buttered noodles and meatballs for the kids. Seamus is with him and says "you sure saved Daddy."

Kev adds "yeah, wife got home pissed after a bad day at work and instead of finding dinner on the table she found me and the kids taking a nap, so you guys are saving my ass"

Waitress draws air in slowly and dramatically through pursed lips.

Dude at the register looks at the ground, shakes his head and says "good luck."

None of them knew Kev would be telling Jenn that story over dinner and a bottle of Cab and she'd be cracking up at the thought.

Yeah, sometimes things at home aren't as dramatic as we make it out to be. She thought finding us all asleep was pretty damn cute.

So endeth the lesson.

God bless you and your house Kev.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2018, 03:03:44 PM »
God bless you and your house Kev.
He sure does.... And to you and yours as well!
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2018, 03:32:18 PM »
Nice Kev m!
inditx

This is the day.....

ff73148

« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2018, 03:49:22 PM »
I am on several motorcycle forums and this thread is the strangest I've ever seen. TN Mark asks for advice on buying an Eldorado and then tells us he can't. I really don't care what the reason is it's his call. But for him to feel that he has a need to tell us why? I give up. Call we talk about something more important referring to motorcycles.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2018, 04:14:27 PM »
But for him to feel that he has a need to tell us why? I give up. Call we talk about something more important referring to motorcycles.

It's a Discussion Board.   We discuss things related to Motorcycles, and Moto Guzzis sometimes.

Sometimes we talk about our feelings, sometimes about our opinions, sometimes about how our wives feel about motorcycles, sometimes about that it might be time for us to quit riding.

Sometimes we complain about what a hassle it is to own too many motorcycles.

I'm not sure who gets to decide what's More Important.   As you've noted, everyone has an opinion on that ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2018, 04:31:33 PM »
I am on several motorcycle forums and this thread is the strangest I've ever seen. TN Mark asks for advice on buying an Eldorado and then tells us he can't. I really don't care what the reason is it's his call. But for him to feel that he has a need to tell us why? I give up. Call we talk about something more important referring to motorcycles.

I merely tried to relay my current Moto Guzzi experiences with an Eldorado and some dealers. I in no way sought any forum members advise on how to procure one if it came to that. I�m sorry you read things into what I posted. I also participate on a few forums. I�ve not found any thread compulsory reading though. Well, except for whatever Pete Roper posts. I do feel compelled to read anything and everything he posts. I love his wit, wisdom, humor, technical expertise and of course his writing (speaking) style. It�s been that way for many, many years. Carry on.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 04:38:18 PM by TN Mark »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2018, 05:00:45 PM »
If Moto guzzi comes out with a V85 Eldorado I would be very tempted. 
I just had a 125 mile curvy road blast on my V7.  Once I get the suspension sorted it will be amazing! 

I don't need or want a 1400 cc Moto Guzzi.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here